Home
Posted By: LowBC 9.3...Thanks John - 04/07/12
Hi John,

I hit the range today with new reloads and the Ruger African in 9.3x62. Loaded it with varget and 57 grains seems to be the sweetspot. Not sure what velocity but it hits the paper pretty well :-)

I used the Hornady 286 grain and Barnes 286. Both shot well. (If I wasn't technologically challenged I would post a pic of one of the groups)

Happy Easter

Matt
Posted By: raybass Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/07/12
Good news there, still thinking about the 9.3 myself.
Posted By: GSSP Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/07/12
Originally Posted by LowBC
Hi John,

(If I wasn't technologically challenged I would post a pic of one of the groups)

Matt

Matt,

Probably looks like this? Right? grin

Alan

[Linked Image]

Posted By: LowBC Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/08/12
GSSP,

I would love to say that it did, but it is a little bigger smile

Truth be told, any of the loads I played with would have worked fine on game, just that some of them will work nicer ;-)

Matt
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/08/12
In general, I've found the 9.3x62 to be one of those inherently accurate cartridges. I've shot a bunch of them, both factory and custom, and most seem to group well under an inch for 3 shots at 100 yards, and with a wide variety of loads.

Part of this is no doubt due to the fact that it's easier to make accurate larger-caliber bullets, since small variations in jacket thickness or diameter have less effect on concentricity.
Posted By: deflave Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/09/12
John,

Have you ever heard of anyone having issues with RCBS dies in this chambering?

Travis
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/09/12
Originally Posted by deflave
John,

Have you ever heard of anyone having issues with RCBS dies in this chambering?

Travis

Am also anxious to hear John's answer. Seems I read someone saying something less than positive about 9.3x62 RCBS dies. The advice was to use Redding.

RCBS is much better priced and I'd rather go that way if I could.

DF
Posted By: JGray Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/09/12
I'm curious about this as well - I've been using RCBS 9.3x62 dies for a number of years and have had no issues with mine.
Posted By: deflave Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/09/12
Well, I hate long stories but here it goes...

Had my rifle re-bored/rechambered. Got said rifle. Used Prvi brass straight out of the bag like my lazy ass always does. Took rifle to range, shot like a whore house afire.

Returned the next week and had 10 "clicks". Rounds no make big boom.

Thought it might be the Prvi schit brass so I partial sized and all was well once again.

Then, I decided to partial size all that brass and trim using my hand dandy RCBS trim die. Then I had misfires again. 10 for 10 actually.

So I sent five cases to RCBS. They called back and stated the chamber was within specs for WTF Europe calls their version of SAAMI.

Then, they laid the bombshell on me that their dies were cut with the improper shoulder angle and that could be a source of my issues. They said they believe they have been using that dimension of 9.3X62 dies for approximately six years. He even stated "I don't know why we use that reamer".

So I primed 50 of the Prvi brass, and ran through the rifle and all fitty went "quiet boom" in the garage. So if anybody is wondering where this magical story of RCBS having dies of the wrong dimension came from, send them my way.

Jesus, that was exhausting.

Travis
Posted By: EZEARL Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/09/12

It was APPRECIATED though. So take a break.

That said,I'm GLAD I bought Lyman dies for mine then.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/09/12
Travis,

Well, that's very interesting!

I had never heard of the RCBS 9.3x62 problem before. My dies (which I've had over a decade) are Redding, and have worked just fine with a couple of European rifles.
Posted By: zxc Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/09/12
The older I get ........the less impressed I am of RCBS dies.
Posted By: LowBC Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/10/12
For some reason I have only ever used redding dies in my my reloading press. Never had a problem...hope this doesn't jinx me.

I do know the redding dies for the 9.3 were horrendously expensive though...try $255 in Australia!!!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/10/12
Wow! What's the price on "standard" Redding dies, such as .30-06?
Posted By: GSSP Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/10/12
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Wow! What's the price on "standard" Redding dies, such as .30-06?

$40.99 over at Graf's.

Alan
Is that Graf's, Australia?
Posted By: Elvis Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/10/12
I paid Au$200 for Redding Deluxe (3 die) in 35Whelen two years ago. Normal 2-die Redding dies retail for around the Au$80-90 mark. But they are very good dies. My last four sets of dies have all been Redding (7x57, 25-06, 35Whelen and 303B). I pay a bit more for them but I figure I'll have them for the rest of my life so what the heck?
Posted By: GSSP Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/10/12
Is that Graf's, Australia?

No. Just our good 'ol Graf & Sons in Mexico, Missouri.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/15554

Alan
Posted By: Tony Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/10/12
My 12 year old RCBS dies have never been a problem. Odd that they changed how they cut them?
Posted By: deflave Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/10/12
Originally Posted by LowBC
For some reason I have only ever used redding dies in my my reloading press. Never had a problem...hope this doesn't jinx me.

I do know the redding dies for the 9.3 were horrendously expensive though...try $255 in Australia!!!

Good gravy...

Travis
Travis,

I had never heard of the RCBS 9.3x62 problem before. My dies (which I've had over a decade) are Redding, and have worked just fine with a couple of European rifles.

I contacted Redding after I got off the phone with RCBS. They e-mailed the Euro-trash SAAMI spec sheet thingy along with the dimensions of their 9.3 dies to ease my worried little mind. They're good to go. Obviously...

Travis
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/10/12
Travis,

I contacted Redding after I got off the phone with RCBS. They e-mailed the Euro-trash SAAMI spec sheet thingy along with the dimensions of their 9.3 dies to ease my worried little mind. They're good to go. Obviously...

Travis

Evidently there is a difference between the Euro and SAAMI 9.3x62 specs. What is that difference and how are the old Mauser rifles chambered? Or another way to ask the question, in that the 9.3x62 is a metric, German round, why would SAAMI have a different configuration than the Euro version, which obviously was (is) the original?

DF
The gentleman from RCBS told me there are no official SAAMI specs. Only the CIP specs. It is called CIP correct?

Travis
The gentleman from RCBS told me there are no official SAAMI specs. Only the CIP specs. It is called CIP correct?

Travis

I checked on line. It's the CIP (Commission Internationale Permanente). It would seem to me that there should be one standard for the 9.3x62 round, if not SAAMI, then CIP. I wonder in the current RCBS offerings are made with the "right" reamer?

DF
Usually there's some coordination between CIP and SAAMI, especially with cartridges produced by both European and American companies. But not always, apparently!

I may be simply lucky, but have always used Norma and Nosler brass (also made by Norma) when loading the 9.3x62, and both the rifles I've loaded for have been European, a CZ and a Husqvarna.

I've also had really good luck with Redding dies. Redding's a relatively small company that's very careful and knowledgeable, which comes right from the top. Richard Beebe, their owner and president, is a hands-on technician and avid shooter/hunter. Plus, everything they make is produced in the U.S. (and on American-made machinery) so they have total control of the process.
Posted By: pacecars Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/10/12
Did you ask the top secret reborer dude if he has had any issues reported to him by others?
Originally Posted by pacecars
Did you ask the top secret reborer dude if he has had any issues reported to him by others?

Travis.

That does raise some questions about your re-bore and your chamber. Did you gunsmith use a CIP spec. reamer? Or, are there other versions of the 9.3x62 chamber?

DF
Posted By: JGray Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/10/12
Hmmm - my RCBS dies are over 10 years old so maybe they were cut with a different reamer than the current dies. I've only used Norma brass to date, but just bought some PRVI 9.3x62. I guess I'll soon find out if I have a problem...

I did not.

Travis
I had my rifle rebored by the same guy but have not picked up dies yet. He does quite a few
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Travis.

That does raise some questions about your re-bore and your chamber. Did you gunsmith use a CIP spec. reamer? Or, are there other versions of the 9.3x62 chamber?

DF

I did not contact the smith. I don't like to throw up flags and ask a lot of questions until I know what is going on. That is why I opted to send the five fired cases to RCBS. RCBS stated very plainly that my chamber was within CIP spec. I did ask the RCBS technician if there were two different versions. He said there were not, and he did not offer a solid explanation for why their dimensions were different than the CIP standard.

I know it all sounds strange, because it is. But I can only report what information was given to me. Redding sent me an actual e-mail with the specs, but with RCBS, it was all communicated via telephone.

Travis
Originally Posted by JGray
Hmmm - my RCBS dies are over 10 years old so maybe they were cut with a different reamer than the current dies. I've only used Norma brass to date, but just bought some PRVI 9.3x62. I guess I'll soon find out if I have a problem...

I do not know they are, but I suspect they were cut differently. The RCBS technician said he believes these current dies have been in production about six years. Tony uses RCBS dies as well, but I believe he stated they are 12 years old.

My one bag of Prvi brass was an abortion. However, those Prvi 286gr bullets are the shizz, and they hit to the same POA as the Hornady 286gr.

Travis
I had my rifle rebored by the same guy but have not picked up dies yet. He does quite a few

Per RCBS, you won't have any problems, as long as you stick with their competitor's products. Aren't rifles cool? grin

Travis
Posted By: JGray Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/10/12
That's disappointiung to hear on the brass - I've never heard anything negative about their 9.3x62 brass until now. I did get some 286 PRVI bullets at the same time but haven't shot any yet.
Take it with a grain of salt, because everything I have read indicates it's good stuff.

I think I ran into hiccups because Steelhead warned against this build. Gave my project bad voodoo.

Travis
Well pooh! He didn't particularly like mine either
Posted By: LowBC Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/11/12
I am using Lapua Brass and have no issues for the 9.3x62. It is good gear as far as I am concerned.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/11/12
Yep! Generally good brass and dies, in a good barrel with the right chamber, shoot pretty well....
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/11/12
My 5 to 6 YO RCBS 9.3 X 62 dies work great
Posted By: husqvarna Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/11/12
My Redding 9.3X62 dies produce slightly more accurate ammunition with the same load than my RCBS 9.3X62 dies. Why I had both is a long story. I sold the RCBS dies and kept the Reddings.
Posted By: sidepass Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/11/12
Been using Graf brass with no problems along with Hornady dies. Am expecting some Lyman dies soon. Something about the Hornady dies I don't like , can't quite put my fingers on. Oh well! 250 grain accubonds in front of 60 grains of Varget are the cats meow in my FN Mauser.
Posted By: deflave Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/11/12
I should note, I can use the RCBS dies to partial/neck size. It's when you try to FL size or use the trim dies that they no longer worky.

I was shooting it today at 100yds. One offhand, two kneeling.
[Linked Image]

Just the big hole obviously. ( That's what she said)

Travis
Posted By: Yukoner Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/11/12
Nice shooting, Travis. Now, wait until you use it on game. Just gets better and better.......

For what it's worth, I have been using an RCBS set for more than 30 years without a hiccup: Lapua, Norma, Mettalverken, RWS, and reformed 30-06.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There is plenty of easily available 9.3X62 brass available today, however in a pinch you can have as much as you have '06 around. smile

Ted
I can't wait Yukoner. I smacked the gong at the 255 yard line yesterday and I actually felt sorry for it. BOOOONG!!!! grin

Travis
Posted By: Yukoner Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/11/12
This past Fall's grizzly went Bong, too. You have seen the picture, so don't need to post it again. Pretty big bear, one shot at around sixty yards and it was all over.

Look forward to seeing your pictures. You going for Spring bear?

Ted
I am, and I am hoping for a dandy. Bears are new to me so I'll need all the luck I can get.

Hope that wood stock doesn't melt in the rain... grin

Travis
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/11/12
Kinda leads me towards pay more for the Redding dies...

DF
If you want to save some coin, I know a guy selling some RCBS dies.

Travis
I hadn't seen those pictures when I looked earlier Yukoner. Thanks for posting those.

Travis
If you want to save some coin, I know a guy selling some RCBS dies.

Travis

laugh laugh

Edited to add: Travis, don't you think RCBS would make the sizing die good if you sent it back to them. Generally my experience with RCBS, CS has been great. They replaced the ram in my '73 model Rockchucker when the shell holders quit fitting in the slot. They sent that big, heavy steel part, no postage or cost to me.

OTOH, Bonanza charged nickle and dime for new lock rings, etc. on a set of their Benchrest dies.

DF

I was quoted $283.00 for dies that would fit "my chamber".

I have always had spectacular customer service from RCBS. This whole ordeal has me scratching my head.

But honestly, I tend to just get my schit working and not analyze things too much. I would still buy any RCBS product. Hell, come to think of it, I just did!

Travis
So, they're now saying your CIP spec. 9.3x62 chamber needs a custom die?

That's weird.

Seems the $60 Redding die set is getting better and better...

DF
Correct.

I agree.

Travis
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/11/12
That was just the opposite with what I experienced with RCBS.

I had Redding dies for my 6.5 X 284 reamer cut for Win 284 brass
min specs. Redding wanted over $200 for new custom dies could not return dies. Midway said no problem send them back, I did.

Bought RCBS dies and RCBS fit them to my fired brass for free. RCBS customer service has always been great for me.

I had misfires with Lapua brass in my Pac-Nor chambered 9.3X62 when I resized new brass and set the shoulder back, my mistake and have not repeated it.
Originally Posted by kk alaska
That was just the opposite with what I experienced with RCBS.

I had Redding dies for my 6.5 X 284 reamer cut for Win 284 brass
min specs. Redding wanted over $200 for new custom dies could not return dies. Midway said no problem send them back, I did.

Bought RCBS dies and RCBS fit them to my fired brass for free. RCBS customer service has always been great for me.

I had misfires with Lapua brass in my Pac-Nor chambered 9.3X62 when I resized new brass and set the shoulder back, my mistake and have not repeated it.

KK,

Without a belt, without a big shoulder and headspacing on the shoulder, excessive set back could be a major issue with the nine three.

That's just something we'll have to pay close attention to when reloading.

DF
Posted By: MikeS Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/12/12
For what it's worth I have been using a set of RCBS dies purchased in December along with Lapua brass in my old 9.3x62 Husky without any issues...
Mike
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/12/12
In general I've had excellent luck with RCBS dies, at least since the 1980's (some before that were kinda weird, but that's another story).

Posted By: olblue Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/12/12
FWIW My 9.3X62 RCBS dies feed two different ones just fine, one a 1917 Enfield Dan Petersen rebored for me and the other a Charles Daly 98. --- Mel
Posted By: HUNTS Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/12/12
I had Lee make me a custom collet die for my 9.3x62. No problems many rounds later.
Posted By: Nrut Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/12/12
I went to Hornady dies for my .35 Whelen, 9.3x57, 9.3X62, and .375 H&H..
They are especially great if you are using cast bullets because you can hone out the sliding bullet seater to accommodate larger cast bullets that fit your rifles throat..
You can also just use the next caliber up sliding seater if it isn't to over sized..
Posted By: husqvarna Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/12/12
Shoulder setback has not been a problem with either Redding or RCBS dies without anything but very basic die adjustments. One batch of cheap GRAF (PRVI?) brass has been shot fourteen times with no failures of any kind. On custom barrels possibly some people are having chamber problems, not die problems.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/13/12
Thanks for that info, Husky.

I think I'm going to belly up to the bar and go with Redding. Most of my dies are RCBS with a few Bonanza Benchrest sets, a few Reddings, a Lyman or two and a few Hornady's.

Reddings are great, but twice the price.

I'm sure Travis, had he known how his deal with RCBS was going to work out, would have gladly ponied up a few extra bucks for Redding, considering all the misery he went through.

DF

Edited to add that I just got an email from Jim Kobe. He received an invoice from Shilen that the 9.3mm CM barrel in #3 contour was ready to ship.

So, it shouldn't be long before I'm skim bedding a 9.3x62 Mauser barreled action into a black B&C Medalist from Brownell's. And yes, they do have them in stock.

Posted By: LowBC Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/14/12
Hey DF, sounds like a nice rig coming your way. I had a shilen barrel in 6.5x55 that shot brilliantly, never did figure out why I sold it...must have a brain fart at the wrong time. Hope yours shoots as well as what my old shilen rifle did.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/14/12
Everything I've ever had with a Shilen tube shot lights out. With this ctg., known for accuracy, and Jim Kobe putting it together, and of course, me fitting and skim bedding the stock, no way will it not do anything but perform... laugh

DF
Posted By: sidepass Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/14/12
Think you'll be happy with it. Jim put together a FN action with a #3 shilen tube added a timney trigger and did the side swing safety. Put in a Mcmillan and had it cerrakoted and bedded by Charley Santoni. Haven't spent much load development time on it as of yet as work has been keeping me busy. However started with groups between 7/8 and 1 1/4 right off the bat. (100) yards and at a friends ranch we were able to hit sm oranges at 200 yards. Think it will only get better.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 04/15/12
Originally Posted by sidepass
Think you'll be happy with it. Jim put together a FN action with a #3 shilen tube added a timney trigger and did the side swing safety. Put in a Mcmillan and had it cerrakoted and bedded by Charley Santoni. Haven't spent much load development time on it as of yet as work has been keeping me busy. However started with groups between 7/8 and 1 1/4 right off the bat. (100) yards and at a friends ranch we were able to hit sm oranges at 200 yards. Think it will only get better.

I thought about black Cerrakote and would probably go with Eddie on that. Having Jim do a standard 400 polish blue is a little less expensive, although not by a lot. I'm leaning that way for now, mainly as the fastest way to get it into action.

If I ever went to Alaska, Cerrakote would be the way to go.

DF
Posted By: JGray Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 09/21/12
I know this is an old thread, but Travis - did you ever resolve the misfire issue with the PRVI brass? The reason I'm bringing this back up is I just got back from the range after firing that new PRVI brass I mentioned earlier in the thread. I had the same damn misfire issue - two misfires in 10 rounds attempted. In visiting with the gunsmith right after this happened, he was pretty sure it was the brass and noted the position of the shoulder on the fired cases vs. unfired. The shoulder on the fired cases appeared noticeably further forward than the unfired cases. I didn't size the brass before loading other than running the expander ball through the neck.

If this turns out to be the issue, I suppose I can seat the bullets to engage the rifling to fireform the first time. Otherwise I may have to turn this PRVI stuff into 35 Whelen brass...

Well, I hate long stories but here it goes...

Had my rifle re-bored/rechambered. Got said rifle. Used Prvi brass straight out of the bag like my lazy ass always does. Took rifle to range, shot like a whore house afire.

Returned the next week and had 10 "clicks". Rounds no make big boom.

Thought it might be the Prvi schit brass so I partial sized and all was well once again.

Then, I decided to partial size all that brass and trim using my hand dandy RCBS trim die. Then I had misfires again. 10 for 10 actually.

So I sent five cases to RCBS. They called back and stated the chamber was within specs for WTF Europe calls their version of SAAMI.

Then, they laid the bombshell on me that their dies were cut with the improper shoulder angle and that could be a source of my issues. They said they believe they have been using that dimension of 9.3X62 dies for approximately six years. He even stated "I don't know why we use that reamer".

So I primed 50 of the Prvi brass, and ran through the rifle and all fitty went "quiet boom" in the garage. So if anybody is wondering where this magical story of RCBS having dies of the wrong dimension came from, send them my way.

Jesus, that was exhausting.

Travis
Posted By: luv2safari Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 09/21/12
Originally Posted by MikeS
For what it's worth I have been using a set of RCBS dies purchased in December along with Lapua brass in my old 9.3x62 Husky without any issues...
Mike

I use RCBS dies for 9,3X62 and have loaded for four different rifles, one custom and three factory.

I had zero problems with the re-loads in any of the four, and all four were tack-drivers.

Ruger African
CZ 550
Older FN Husqvarna (best groups of all)
VZ-24 action custom with Bauska medium heavy barrel
Posted By: EdM Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 09/21/12
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by MikeS
Mike

I use RCBS dies for 9,3X62 and have loaded for four different rifles, one custom and three factory.

I had zero problems with the re-loads in any of the four, and all four were tack-drivers.

Ruger African
CZ 550
Older FN Husqvarna (best groups of all)
VZ-24 action custom with Bauska medium heavy barrel

Same here with 1999 vintage RCBS dies in a custom FN and a box stock (except fot the Blackburn trigger) beechwood Husky.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 09/21/12
I love the way my CZ550 in 9.3X62 shoots. I have Lyman dies and use Lapua brass, no issues at all. I have several sets of RCBS dies in other calibers and no issues with them. Seem to remember some issues with the 6.5X55 and die diemension issues as well. Again a CIP standard round.
Posted By: corjack Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 09/22/12
I had a few missfires with Lapua, and PRVI brass, and both Redding, and RCBS dies. I then adjusted the dies about 1/8 turn off the shellholder, and have not had an incident since. The 9.3 does not have much of a shoulder, and a chamber cut a tad on the generous side of CIP, and dies cut on the scant side, could give results like you are describing.
Posted By: 300grains Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 09/22/12
I have RCBS dies for 11 calibers, 9,3 included, never had any problems with them. Maybe been just lucky, well I don�t know, but they do their job just fine.
Posted By: CZ550 Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 09/24/12
Hornady dies and brass work just fine in my 9.3 X 62 T3. Never an issue.The brass is made by S&B.

Though I did have problems with a new NEF .35 Whelen. All misfires with new Rem brass. Used brass worked fine. My gunsmith said the chamber met specs. The problem was the new brass from Remington. It happens... grin

Bob

www.bigbores.ca
Posted By: husqvarna Re: 9.3...Thanks John - 09/26/12
No problems with my 550 9.3X62 shooting PRVI brass loaded by Redding dies. No misfires and the brass seems to last forever.
© 24hourcampfire