Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Shoulder setback has not been a problem with either Redding or RCBS dies without anything but very basic die adjustments. One batch of cheap GRAF (PRVI?) brass has been shot fourteen times with no failures of any kind. On custom barrels possibly some people are having chamber problems, not die problems.

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks for that info, Husky.

I think I'm going to belly up to the bar and go with Redding. Most of my dies are RCBS with a few Bonanza Benchrest sets, a few Reddings, a Lyman or two and a few Hornady's.

Reddings are great, but twice the price.

I'm sure Travis, had he known how his deal with RCBS was going to work out, would have gladly ponied up a few extra bucks for Redding, considering all the misery he went through.

DF

Edited to add that I just got an email from Jim Kobe. He received an invoice from Shilen that the 9.3mm CM barrel in #3 contour was ready to ship.

So, it shouldn't be long before I'm skim bedding a 9.3x62 Mauser barreled action into a black B&C Medalist from Brownell's. And yes, they do have them in stock.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 04/13/12.
L
LowBC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Hey DF, sounds like a nice rig coming your way. I had a shilen barrel in 6.5x55 that shot brilliantly, never did figure out why I sold it...must have a brain fart at the wrong time. Hope yours shoots as well as what my old shilen rifle did.

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Everything I've ever had with a Shilen tube shot lights out. With this ctg., known for accuracy, and Jim Kobe putting it together, and of course, me fitting and skim bedding the stock, no way will it not do anything but perform... laugh

DF

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Think you'll be happy with it. Jim put together a FN action with a #3 shilen tube added a timney trigger and did the side swing safety. Put in a Mcmillan and had it cerrakoted and bedded by Charley Santoni. Haven't spent much load development time on it as of yet as work has been keeping me busy. However started with groups between 7/8 and 1 1/4 right off the bat. (100) yards and at a friends ranch we were able to hit sm oranges at 200 yards. Think it will only get better.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by sidepass
Think you'll be happy with it. Jim put together a FN action with a #3 shilen tube added a timney trigger and did the side swing safety. Put in a Mcmillan and had it cerrakoted and bedded by Charley Santoni. Haven't spent much load development time on it as of yet as work has been keeping me busy. However started with groups between 7/8 and 1 1/4 right off the bat. (100) yards and at a friends ranch we were able to hit sm oranges at 200 yards. Think it will only get better.

I thought about black Cerrakote and would probably go with Eddie on that. Having Jim do a standard 400 polish blue is a little less expensive, although not by a lot. I'm leaning that way for now, mainly as the fastest way to get it into action.

If I ever went to Alaska, Cerrakote would be the way to go.

DF

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I know this is an old thread, but Travis - did you ever resolve the misfire issue with the PRVI brass? The reason I'm bringing this back up is I just got back from the range after firing that new PRVI brass I mentioned earlier in the thread. I had the same damn misfire issue - two misfires in 10 rounds attempted. In visiting with the gunsmith right after this happened, he was pretty sure it was the brass and noted the position of the shoulder on the fired cases vs. unfired. The shoulder on the fired cases appeared noticeably further forward than the unfired cases. I didn't size the brass before loading other than running the expander ball through the neck.

If this turns out to be the issue, I suppose I can seat the bullets to engage the rifling to fireform the first time. Otherwise I may have to turn this PRVI stuff into 35 Whelen brass...

Originally Posted by deflave
Well, I hate long stories but here it goes...

Had my rifle re-bored/rechambered. Got said rifle. Used Prvi brass straight out of the bag like my lazy ass always does. Took rifle to range, shot like a whore house afire.

Returned the next week and had 10 "clicks". Rounds no make big boom.

Thought it might be the Prvi schit brass so I partial sized and all was well once again.

Then, I decided to partial size all that brass and trim using my hand dandy RCBS trim die. Then I had misfires again. 10 for 10 actually.

So I sent five cases to RCBS. They called back and stated the chamber was within specs for WTF Europe calls their version of SAAMI.

Then, they laid the bombshell on me that their dies were cut with the improper shoulder angle and that could be a source of my issues. They said they believe they have been using that dimension of 9.3X62 dies for approximately six years. He even stated "I don't know why we use that reamer".

So I primed 50 of the Prvi brass, and ran through the rifle and all fitty went "quiet boom" in the garage. So if anybody is wondering where this magical story of RCBS having dies of the wrong dimension came from, send them my way.

Jesus, that was exhausting.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MikeS
For what it's worth I have been using a set of RCBS dies purchased in December along with Lapua brass in my old 9.3x62 Husky without any issues...
Mike

I use RCBS dies for 9,3X62 and have loaded for four different rifles, one custom and three factory.

I had zero problems with the re-loads in any of the four, and all four were tack-drivers.

Ruger African
CZ 550
Older FN Husqvarna (best groups of all)
VZ-24 action custom with Bauska medium heavy barrel

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by MikeS
For what it's worth I have been using a set of RCBS dies purchased in December along with Lapua brass in my old 9.3x62 Husky without any issues...
Mike

I use RCBS dies for 9,3X62 and have loaded for four different rifles, one custom and three factory.

I had zero problems with the re-loads in any of the four, and all four were tack-drivers.

Ruger African
CZ 550
Older FN Husqvarna (best groups of all)
VZ-24 action custom with Bauska medium heavy barrel

Same here with 1999 vintage RCBS dies in a custom FN and a box stock (except fot the Blackburn trigger) beechwood Husky.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I love the way my CZ550 in 9.3X62 shoots. I have Lyman dies and use Lapua brass, no issues at all. I have several sets of RCBS dies in other calibers and no issues with them. Seem to remember some issues with the 6.5X55 and die diemension issues as well. Again a CIP standard round.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I had a few missfires with Lapua, and PRVI brass, and both Redding, and RCBS dies. I then adjusted the dies about 1/8 turn off the shellholder, and have not had an incident since. The 9.3 does not have much of a shoulder, and a chamber cut a tad on the generous side of CIP, and dies cut on the scant side, could give results like you are describing.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have RCBS dies for 11 calibers, 9,3 included, never had any problems with them. Maybe been just lucky, well I don�t know, but they do their job just fine.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hornady dies and brass work just fine in my 9.3 X 62 T3. Never an issue.The brass is made by S&B.

Though I did have problems with a new NEF .35 Whelen. All misfires with new Rem brass. Used brass worked fine. My gunsmith said the chamber met specs. The problem was the new brass from Remington. It happens... grin

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 09/24/12.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
No problems with my 550 9.3X62 shooting PRVI brass loaded by Redding dies. No misfires and the brass seems to last forever.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (222Sako, 308xray, 30Gibbs, 29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 40 invisible), 1,719 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,643
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.