Home
Posted By: elkermarty Mitchell Mauser - 09/18/12
I have a chance to pick up a Mitchell Mauser. I know that there is some ethics problem with the products as to the remarked numbers etc. My question, will the 98 Mitchell Mauser action work for a build. I am thinking only about a 308 or a 30/06. Any idea on this subject? Thanks for the help.
Posted By: BMT Re: Mitchell Mauser - 09/19/12
Not worth it as a build anymore. Just get a ruger in 308.

Unless you wanna project-even then a used mauser will suffice for 1/2 the price of a mitchell.

BMT
Posted By: MichiganScott Re: Mitchell Mauser - 09/19/12
The majority of Mitchell mausers are built for people that don't understand surplus rifles may have actually been used.

Trying to sporterize a military surplus rifle is usually considered to be the best way to take a $400 dollar rifle and spend $600 to end up with a rifle worth $250.

If you want to do a build, find a used Remington for a donor. It will be cheaper.
Posted By: hatari Re: Mitchell Mauser - 09/19/12
That is true, sort of. If you prefer a true sporterized mauser action done right, there is no substitute. They are my favorite, and I have more than a handful. You can't sell them for what you put into them, but the same goes with cars.

I'll warn you, you'll end up spending $1500+ once you do the action, safety, trigger, barrel, stock and finish.

Remington donor is cheaper, and has a faster lock time, but is not a Mauser!
Posted By: djs Re: Mitchell Mauser - 09/19/12
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
The majority of Mitchell mausers are built for people that don't understand surplus rifles may have actually been used.

Trying to sporterize a military surplus rifle is usually considered to be the best way to take a $400 dollar rifle and spend $600 to end up with a rifle worth $250.

If you want to do a build, find a used Remington for a donor. It will be cheaper.

Been there, done that. It's like magic, you can turn a silk purse into a sow's ear and ruin a collector's item.
Posted By: setch Re: Mitchell Mauser - 09/19/12
What is the background story on Mitchell Mausers?
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Mitchell Mauser - 09/19/12
Nice looking, but overpriced.
If you don't have a Kraut yet, I would consider them, but otherwise if you want a donor, haunt the pawn shops or Gunbroker et al. You might score a nice commercial for the same dollars, or even a decent sporterized unit in the caliber you already want.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Mitchell Mauser - 09/22/12
Don't bother with a Mitchell if you're lookin' to do a build. Scan the 'net auction sites for an already buggered up M98 to build on. Since you're gonna do a build all you really care about is getting a decent action. For the most part even the buggered up sporterized M98s still have good actions and come in way lower in price than a Mitchell.
Posted By: SEdge Re: Mitchell Mauser - 09/23/12
Find a commercial action preferably an FN
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Mitchell Mauser - 09/23/12
Like anything...if the price is right, then go for it. I picked up a used Mauser for cheap - $150. I figured out later it is a Mitchell. The thing is accurate and looks great on the outside. It does have a pitted bore but the thing hit what it is aiming at out to 300 yds as long as I do my part.

I was looking for a period piece and not anything collectable.

RH
Posted By: rob p Re: Mitchell Mauser - 09/23/12
I've seen a lot of beautiful Belgian Browning Safari Grades built on Mauser actions. Beautiful rifles.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Mitchell Mauser - 09/23/12
Originally Posted by rob p
I've seen a lot of beautiful Belgian Browning Safari Grades built on Mauser actions. Beautiful rifles.

Those are commercial FN actions or Sako actions,not military. grin
Actually there are many sources for a good commercial Mauser action that would put you way ahead of the Game,JC Higgens ,H&R,Smith &Wesson,Colt all used Commercial FN or Sako actions at some time during the 50`s and 60`s.FN offered a rifle called the Musketeer for sale here in the 50`s.Husqvarna made and bought commercial 98 actions.Mark 10 made a decent Mauser action.I see these type Rifles at Gunshows all the time for reasonable prices.Another way to go is I see Winchesters right here in the Classifieds at some rediculous low prices.
Here is one right from our Classifieds.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...S_Husqvarna_HVA_lightweight_#Post6898208
Posted By: bucktales Re: Mitchell Mauser - 09/23/12
Originally Posted by setch
What is the background story on Mitchell Mausers?

The boys over at gunboards.com dont think highly of them.
Posted By: setch Re: Mitchell Mauser - 09/24/12
Originally Posted by rob p

+1 My favorite rifle all around..love the fit & the look
© 24hourcampfire