-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have a chance to pick up a Mitchell Mauser. I know that there is some ethics problem with the products as to the remarked numbers etc. My question, will the 98 Mitchell Mauser action work for a build. I am thinking only about a 308 or a 30/06. Any idea on this subject? Thanks for the help.

GB1

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not worth it as a build anymore. Just get a ruger in 308.

Unless you wanna project-even then a used mauser will suffice for 1/2 the price of a mitchell.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The majority of Mitchell mausers are built for people that don't understand surplus rifles may have actually been used.

Trying to sporterize a military surplus rifle is usually considered to be the best way to take a $400 dollar rifle and spend $600 to end up with a rifle worth $250.

If you want to do a build, find a used Remington for a donor. It will be cheaper.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is true, sort of. If you prefer a true sporterized mauser action done right, there is no substitute. They are my favorite, and I have more than a handful. You can't sell them for what you put into them, but the same goes with cars.

I'll warn you, you'll end up spending $1500+ once you do the action, safety, trigger, barrel, stock and finish.

Remington donor is cheaper, and has a faster lock time, but is not a Mauser!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
The majority of Mitchell mausers are built for people that don't understand surplus rifles may have actually been used.

Trying to sporterize a military surplus rifle is usually considered to be the best way to take a $400 dollar rifle and spend $600 to end up with a rifle worth $250.

If you want to do a build, find a used Remington for a donor. It will be cheaper.

Been there, done that. It's like magic, you can turn a silk purse into a sow's ear and ruin a collector's item.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is the background story on Mitchell Mausers?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice looking, but overpriced.
If you don't have a Kraut yet, I would consider them, but otherwise if you want a donor, haunt the pawn shops or Gunbroker et al. You might score a nice commercial for the same dollars, or even a decent sporterized unit in the caliber you already want.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't bother with a Mitchell if you're lookin' to do a build. Scan the 'net auction sites for an already buggered up M98 to build on. Since you're gonna do a build all you really care about is getting a decent action. For the most part even the buggered up sporterized M98s still have good actions and come in way lower in price than a Mitchell.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Find a commercial action preferably an FN

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like anything...if the price is right, then go for it. I picked up a used Mauser for cheap - $150. I figured out later it is a Mitchell. The thing is accurate and looks great on the outside. It does have a pitted bore but the thing hit what it is aiming at out to 300 yds as long as I do my part.

I was looking for a period piece and not anything collectable.

RH

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen a lot of beautiful Belgian Browning Safari Grades built on Mauser actions. Beautiful rifles.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by rob p
I've seen a lot of beautiful Belgian Browning Safari Grades built on Mauser actions. Beautiful rifles.

Those are commercial FN actions or Sako actions,not military. grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Actually there are many sources for a good commercial Mauser action that would put you way ahead of the Game,JC Higgens ,H&R,Smith &Wesson,Colt all used Commercial FN or Sako actions at some time during the 50`s and 60`s.FN offered a rifle called the Musketeer for sale here in the 50`s.Husqvarna made and bought commercial 98 actions.Mark 10 made a decent Mauser action.I see these type Rifles at Gunshows all the time for reasonable prices.Another way to go is I see Winchesters right here in the Classifieds at some rediculous low prices.

Last edited by Huntz; 09/23/12.

Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by setch
What is the background story on Mitchell Mausers?

The boys over at gunboards.com dont think highly of them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rob p

+1 My favorite rifle all around..love the fit & the look

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,562
Posts18,491,797
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.