Home
1.) Ruger American or possibly Hawkeye .308 (General kick around deer, hog, etc.)

2.) Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 25-06 (Long range open country antelope, sheep, varmint, deer)

3.) CZ 550 9.3x62 (Bear, Elk, basically anything the .308 is close but not quite big enough for)

4.) Ruger 10/22 takedown (squirrel, rabbit, behind the seat of the truck gun.)

5.) Some affordable but good 20GA over/under shotgun. Possibly a CZ. (Doves, quail, etc.)

I already own a Mossberg 810 30-06 I have had for 10 years but it is super heavy and a pain to lug around and (has served me faithfully though, being the first rifle I bought myself for deer hunting) .308 will do anything a 30-06 will so I will probably pass it on to a needy friend or family member.

I also own a good Turkey, duck, and pheasant gun in a Camo Verona 12GA auto. So I am good there.

I finally have a decent job and can afford to buy some reasonably priced good quality firearms. I am aiming to get these within the next year as California is starting mandatory registration on all new purchase/transfers of long guns as of Jan. 1st 2014. So I want to get them before then to keep them as unaware of what firearms I own as possible.

Oh I also will have 2-4 AR rifles built by the end of Feb. for SHTF or WROL situations and before they ban them here all together.

Let me know what you thing or if you have comparably prices alternatives to recommend.

Thanks/
Other than the rugers it works for me. But I still can't get past the anti gun Bill Ruger of years ago.

In fact just won a Ruger 270 American of all things... its for sale as we speak.

Only other comment is you are doing what I do, none common calibers... depending.... some of that stuff ain't found on every shelf in a podunk town.. FWIW.

IF I was limiting to 5 guns, the 308 can work. Would change the 25-06 to 270 probably. The 9.3 would be a 375 HH

And personally I"d get a 12 ga.. you can run 7/8 light loads to be like a 20, but can bump way on up to 3.5s as needed.

Of course there would be the idea too, if buying the 3 bolt guns, I'd buy all the same brand and model if possible.... interchangeable parts at times, nuff said.
Thanks for the suggestion. I just like the Ruger 308s my dad had one as I was growing up and I used it a lot. For me the 308 is just close enough to the 270 with proper load choice that there is some overlap. I used a friends 25-06 for open country hunting a couple years ago and really liked it. Super flat shooting and little recoil. And I have seen 25-06 on most shelves it is fairly popular around these parts really. Any large bore like the 9.3 you will have a hard time finding everywhere so you just stock up on that a bit more.

I do have a 12GA already as I mentioned in my post. However I just like duck hunting but I LOVE upland hunting for quail and especially doves. I just enjoy shooting a light nimble 20GA over a long barreled 12GA auto even though I have used my Verona for that.

Point taken on the common brand/action on the bolts. However they would not really be my bug out guns as I would take my ARs and a shotgun for that scenario. Thinking about buying a Winchester SXP combo for a backup 12GA and home defense. Since it has the 28" for game and a 18" for HD. I can let friends borrow the sxp when we go turkey or duck hunting. Also, my verona is a bit cumbersome for a good HD gun.
overlap on 270/308 but a 25-06 isn't?

I"d hardly call 25-06 common across the US, and thats what I was referring to.

Same there as large caliber, I can guarantee you I can find 375 HH or 300 Win Mag on MANY more remote store shelves than a 9.3 round.

I didn't recall the note RE the 12 and 06 though either. My bad on that.

Common parts are just that, regardless bug out or not. Base screw comes out or breaks, or base or ring, action screw. Trigger fails etc.... happens locally, not just on bug out stuff.

a nice light 20 O/U is nice. I don't have one though. I tend to stick to 12s or go down to 410 if I want to play.
fixit,

I like your list, well thought out and seems to cover everything you want to do quite well.
Couple of comments:
I would tend more toward the Ruger Hawkeye in the .308. The American is a fine "discount" rifle but for a "kick around" rifle I think a stainless Hawkeye would handle the "kickin" a bit better. I've had a stainless MkII in .308 for many years and it's been a very dependable rifle in all conditions (Africa to deep-snow Montana).
The 25/06 has lost some of it's following the last few years, but is still quite popular, particularly in the west where you live. The Weatherby Vanguard is a fine rifle but if you are looking for a "walking" deer/varmint rifle you might consider something lighter. (I actually have a SS Tikka T3 Lite in .25/06 w/ extras I'm considering selling which would be a good example of a light but accurate).
I'm still having a hard time believing CA is getting away with registering guns. It is just so sad a statement about the direction our country is heading.
Fixit, your thought process sounds entirely logical to me. That said, I would NEVER stop at five. I can't even stop at thirty!
Op, substitute #4 with a CZ452/453/455 and thank me later.
Give the heavy .30-06 away and buy a lighter one.

Then buy reloading equipment and you can forget about a smaller bore and jump straight to the .375 H&H.

Add the shotty and the .22 and you're good to go.

P
fixit,

I actually own a Ruger American in .308 and have so far found it an excellent kick-around rifle. It's plenty accurate, with a decent trigger, light weight and good balance. I've fired at least 150 rounds out of it so far without cleaning the barrel, and there hasn't been any noticeable deterioration in accuracy. (This has been my experience in general with Ruger barrels made during the last few years: They don't copper-foul much, though obviously individual barrels vary.)

There also haven't been any failures to feed or extract. I've probably worked and shot the action 2-3 as many times as I've fired it, and the action works very slickly, even from prone. Best of all, the American has the tang safety Ruger abandoned in the 77 a couple of decades ago.

The rest of your choices seem pretty rational too. The Weatherby Vanguard is usually extremely accurate, and while it may not be as popular as the .308 I've yet to encounter a store where .308 ammo was sold and .25-06 ammo wasn't. It's a nicely flat-shooting round that works great on anything from coyotes to, well, elk.

The 9,3x62 is indeed a bigger hammer than the .308 or .30-06, and has some advantages over the .375 H&H, including noticeably less recoil and larger magazine capacity. I generally use it instead of the .375 these days, and I like the old H&H a lot.

A light 20-gauge would be a great complement to your present 12.
You got some good advice so far.... The first thing you need to do is to forget all of it, until you have relocated to somewhere else that doesn't have all the California problems. Hey you asked. Magnum Man
While I feel a bit hypocritical saying this (I own 30+ guns) your list has 2 guns too many...

All a guy really needs is a .22 LR, a shotgun (I have not bird hunted with anything but an O/U 20 gauge for a few years now, and I take my upland birds/waterfowl/turkeys seriously), plus any decent bolt gun in -06, .270, .308...or whatever. If big bears or bigger African critters are a possibility , maybe a 4th rifle in .375 or 9.3 would be justified.

I have have good success on 'lopes/whitetails/mulies/elk/coyotes and a wolf with my .375 H&H too, so even it could replace the -06, 270, 308...if a guy really wanted to.

If I had a choice between a Ruger and a Tikka, I'd take the Tikka all day long.
Good for you.

I own both.
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I appreciate it. The reason I went with the ruger 10/22 is the ubiquity of it. Parts etc. Also i considered the 375 H&H Bud decided against it due to recoil. I am not super sensitive to it but don't enjoy it overmuch either. I have read up on it quite a bit and the 9.3 seems to do pretty much anything the 375 will do but with less recoil, larger capacities, and can apparently use resized 30-06 brass in a pinch.

If the price is comparable I may just get the .308 in the vanguard s2 instead of the Ruger. But I have been hearing very positive things on the Ruger American.

I would move out of Cali in a second if I could believe me, however at this time it is not feasible.

I would like to have more than the guns listed and may in the future but am prioritizing so I can get them within the next year.

Didn't list it because it is not a hunting gun but also am planning on getting a S&W M&P 45 compact as well.
Trade your heavy .30-06 for a lighter one and you delete the top 3 off your list.
1. There is nothing that the 308 won't do so that makes the 9.3 superfulous. Pick one or the other, but not both. I'd go with the 9.3.

2. 25-06 stand apart further from the 9.3 than the .308 I think, so keep it as the second behind the 9.3

3. Ruger 10-22s suck. You need a .22 as an absolute must, but not the Ruger. Just my personal opinion. I'd opt for a Marlin 39a before a Ruger and a quality low wall Winchester (original) before either of those. But I'm a .22 loonie.

4. If you are to have only one shotgun. Make it a 12 ga. and probably the best of the bunch is a Rem 870, maybe a couple of barrels to really cover the turf (slug and shot)

5. So, now having ditched the .308, you have room for something else. An AR15 in .223 would be on choice as general varmint rifle/SHTF option. The other, and more interesting option to me, would be a good quality sidelock .54 muzzleloader in percussion or flint depending on your leanings. You have no muzzleloader there and that excludes you from a whole bunch of hunting opportunities. A .54 roundball gun is good for anything anywhere in the country and if a side hammer it is a legal muzzleloader in all 50 states.
More shotguns, less rifles. No reason to get a Vanguard unless you're getting a Weatherby caliber. I'd go with the .257 ROY instead of a 25-06 or just buy a good, used 700 if I was wedded to the 25-06.
Sounds like the list is very thorough, and all the suggestions to date are rational. But we are all overlooking something: It is a list put together by someone apparently with a clear idea of his future exploits and what he thinks he'll need to pursue them. How many of us have dreamed up similar lists, and then been tempted by the stuff that tempts we loonies, and the list goes off the tracks and 20 years later you look back and say "whew, that was fun, now where did I put that list?" ("Hmmm, that 7x57 Mauser sure is neat, and I can afford it. Wow, that is a way cool Winchester .22, and I can afford it, too. Wait, is that a 16 gauge Parker....") You see where I'm headed? smile laugh

In other words, throw away the list, fasten your seat belt, and enjoy the ride!
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I own both.

Good for you
How about a Savage combo gun? I just bought a model 24V series D in .357 over 20 gauge.

The .357 out of a 24" barrel comes really close to .30-30 power and the 20 gauge takes 3" shells, so I could load slugs in a pinch.

Kinda heavy but one gun takes the place of 2 (or 3, if you delete the .22)

P
Aint' a thing wrong with your choices...

I would expect that in the normal course of things that everything but the 10-22, the 25-06, and the shotgun will likely gather dust...

What those picks will do, and well, leaves little on the table....
I've NOT read all responses so I just have 3 suggestions. Personal opinions only.

1. Hawkeye

2. Howa. Makes W Vanguards unless there's been a change I don't know about. Howa should be less expensive. (cheaper) I've had 2 Howa's a 270 & 06, both were very good.

3. Check out the CZ's weight. The few I've handled were chunky & heavy.

My opinions only. YMMV
Originally Posted by jwall
I've NOT read all responses so I just have 3 suggestions. Personal opinions only.

1. Hawkeye

2. Howa. Makes W Vanguards unless there's been a change I don't know about. Howa should be less expensive. (cheaper) I've had 2 Howa's a 270 & 06, both were very good.

3. Check out the CZ's weight. The few I've handled were chunky & heavy.

My opinions only. YMMV

I may go with the Hawkeye. I will see what kind of deal I can get on the SS version.

I considered the Howa but the price difference I think is not large enough to forgo the MOA accuracy guarantee of Weatherby.

Yeah I saw the weight of the CZ and it is a bit of a concern but my 30-06 is a pound and a half heavier I believe. So comparatively it would seem lighter I think. I have seen the reviews and the CZ seems to have good reviews among 9.3 shooters but I am open to other suggestions on the 9.3.

Thanks
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
More shotguns, less rifles. No reason to get a Vanguard unless you're getting a Weatherby caliber. I'd go with the .257 ROY instead of a 25-06 or just buy a good, used 700 if I was wedded to the 25-06.

I have shot a 25-06 in the vanguard that is my friends. It is a sweet shooter. 257 Weatherby is nice but very hard to find ammo for in small towns. Also from what I hear will go through a barrel much faster with not enough upside for me personally.
22lr, 223, 308, 375, 12 ga. is what I settled on--standard, useful group.

BMT
Here's what I would do:

1. .300 magnum--skip the 25-06, the .308, and the 9.3. Or maybe just get a 30-06. A 30-06 is no slouch for long range shooting and I prefer the extra velocity.

2. If I thought I really needed a long range varmint rifle, depending on what kind of varmints you're going to hunt, get a real varmint rifle--.223 or .243.

3. .22 LR of my choice, probably a bolt action.

4. 12 gauge shotgun, probably an O/U.

If I really thought I needed something bigger than a 30-06 or .300 magnum for big bear (you don't for elk), remember that it will cost you about $15,000 for the bear hunt. I would hold off buying a big rifle until such a trip, buy one for the trip, and maybe sell it afterwards.

That's what I would do. No two shooters will come up with the same list.

Apparently many people are reading the original post rather hastily, because it plainly states he already has a .30-06 and a 12-gauge--though he might get rid of the .30-06.

I'd also like to comment on somebody's observation that the CZ 550's are heavy and clunky. They are a little heavier than some American sporters, but my CZ 550 9.3x62 weighed 8-1/2 pounds, with scope and mounts, during the 6 years it had the factory stock. It wasn't the most stylish stock in the world, but I didn't find it too heavy, whether hunting in the mountains of Montana and British Columbia, or in the rough country along the Vaal River in South Africa. It is also one of my most favored big game rifles (one of the reasons it has a custom stock now), and I've used it a lot more than my .338 Winchester or .375 H&H in the past decade.
Well I agree that the 308 is what I will be using most as I deer hunt mostly. However, I will be doing some Elk and Black bear hunting. Where I am going next year for BB they can easily go 450# or more for a good one. I have seen them there that big before while deer hunting. Also I have already gotten a Rocky Mtn Elk from Cali and it was killed with my 30-06 so I know they are good for that. But I am planning on doing some Roosevelt hunting and they can go 1000# or more for a big one so the 9.3 would give me a better feeling for that use. As well as just being cool. I agree the 9.3 is more of a luxury but I am pretty set on it.

8.5 lbs one the CZ is nothing compared to my 30.06 which is 10 or more. I don't use slings on my hunting rifles and just carry them. Ever since I missed the opportunity on a couple trophy blacktails because my flippin rifle was over my shoulder. So I have been carrying that 10lbs+ Mossberg on long 10-15 miles or so a day still hunting excursions so anything less than 9lbs will feel light smile

The 25-06 I will most likely not use for deer a great deal but for Antelope and *cross-finger* sheep and also long range bobcat/coyote.
1. Ruger MkII .22 LR pistol.
2. Ruger 10/22 rifle
3. Remington 870 3" 12 gauge 28 inch barrel with choke tubes
4. Tikka T3 .223 remington Leupold VXII 3x9 LR reticle
5. Ruger Hawkeye .30-06 Leupold VXII 3x9 LR reticle

That'll cover all your hunting needs.
fixitquick79;

Everyone has prejudices and preferences based on who they are and their experiences. You will never find complete agreement here. You have given careful reflection to your list; it is yours not for someone else. Don't expect them to adopt it.

My advice is go with your list and choices, there's really nothing wrong with it. It may change over time, as preferences vary with age, experience and venue.

After 60+ years of gun ownership of almost anything from .22 LR to .458 Win Mag, I can honestly say they are only tools of the trade and none of 'em can come close to meeting our deepest needs or expectations in this life, just like any thing else in a hedonistic, materialistic world.

Some do a slightly better job than others, perhaps, but not in any exponential way! I have always liked 300's over the 30-06, but I have to admit that the 308 Win is maybe a more logical choice for deer. And I now prefer the 9.3 X 62 for big bear over the .375 H&H (have owned 3 of the H&H). And, well, I couldn't really be without a lever gun in .45-70... do I need more than just one or the other? Nah, I just like a bit of variety. But bigger bores do seem to hammer 'em while I see the "smaller" bores for smaller.

Stick with your ideas... for now! smile

Bob

www.bigbores.ca
This thread about five guns is depressing. Yea I have all the guns I want and for sure have all I will ever need for the hunting I will do. And hell yea I'm gonna buy some more, need em or not.
fixit,

I might also mention that CZ makes a 550 carbine in 9.3x62 with a Kevlar stock, weighing 7 pounds. One of my good friends bought one a few months ago and it's pretty nifty!

I might also mention that the folks who've been giving you THEIR list of the perfect all-around 5-firearm outfit are, as somebody's already pointed out, prejudiced.

Personally, I've used far too many rifles and shotguns on various animals around the globe to believe in any such perfect list. I even own and use rifles very similar to the ones suggested by them, as well as shotguns and even handguns, and don't find anything magical about them--or unmagical, either. At least 90% of rifle hunting is shot placement, not the cartridge or rifle, and at least 90% of shotgun shooting is fit, not the gauge or gun. If you can shoot reasonably well, the list you came up with will work fine--as will just about anything else suggested here.

And once again, a lot of people are still missing the fact that you already own a 12-gauge that apparently satisfies your needs. But then the Campfire is notorious for threads that ignore every other post--including some of the original post.
Originally Posted by fixitquick79
1.) Ruger American or possibly Hawkeye .308 (General kick around deer, hog, etc.)

2.) Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 25-06 (Long range open country antelope, sheep, varmint, deer)

3.) CZ 550 9.3x62 (Bear, Elk, basically anything the .308 is close but not quite big enough for)

5.) Some affordable but good 20GA over/under shotgun. Possibly a CZ. (Doves, quail, etc.)

I already own a Mossberg 810 30-06 I have had for 10 years but it is super heavy and a pain to lug around and (has served me faithfully though, being the first rifle I bought myself for deer hunting) .308 will do anything a 30-06 will so I will probably pass it on to a needy friend or family member.

I also own a good Turkey, duck, and pheasant gun in a Camo Verona 12GA auto. So I am good there.

I finally have a decent job and can afford to buy some reasonably priced good quality firearms. I am aiming to get these within the next year as California is starting mandatory registration on all new purchase/transfers of long guns as of Jan. 1st 2014. So I want to get them before then to keep them as unaware of what firearms I own as possible.

Oh I also will have 2-4 AR rifles built by the end of Feb. for SHTF or WROL situations and before they ban them here all together.

Let me know what you thing or if you have comparably prices alternatives to recommend.

Thanks/

Looks like a well thought out plan to me, like someone else mentioned earler a CZ 452 or 455 in 22 lr wiuld be an excellent substitute for a Ruger 10-22. You may consider buying a used shotgun, that way you could get a really good gun for the same amount of money that a good shotgun would cost. Thinking about doing the same myself although it will be a 12 gauge in my case.
.223, .25-06, 6.5x55, .22, and 12 gauge
Wondering why a .25-06 and 6.5x55? I love both cartridges and have hunted with 'em a lot, but given the bullet construction of today don't see much difference between them.

And once again, he has a 12-gauge.
i was just saying what i had that i'd be able to compare. one of those things...204 or 223 or 22-250 or 243 all do the same thing. he can't go wrong if he buys quality and hits where he aims.
john, you cannot tell me a looney like you really asked why about rifle choices. weirdo. lol
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

RE vanguard, other than the fact that you are getting a 700 clone basically, and could often be found around 299.00........

Thanks/

That's a good list, although "affordable but good 20 GA o/u" might be hard to do. I assume you're buying new guns at retail as opposed to shopping for months to find the right used gun at the right price. If you're buying new and on a budget, the CZ O/U's are nice. I don't own one but have seen many on the range and they get the job done, though you won't be mistaking them for a Browning or a Beretta any time soon.

I've got a Ruger 10/22 take down and it's a neat little rifle. Discount the nay-sayers, but realize that the 10/22 take down is what it is: a light rifle with a heavy trigger. Unless you want to put a few hundred dollars worth of aftermarket parts into your 10/22 the rifle will remain what it was meant to be: a reliable, long lasting, plinker capable of small-game accuracy and tin-can rolling fun. If you must have a superbly accurate 22lr and you're buying new, on a budget, the CZ 452/453/455's are the way to go. The 455 combo pack with the 22lr and 17HMR would be a great way to cover both ends of the rimfire spectrum.

I don't own a Ruger American Rifle but if Mule Deer say's they're good to go, they're good to go. grin I would buy one over a Hawkeye if I were in your position because you'll save about $300 that can be put toward scopes or other rifles.

I'd skip the Vanguard and the 25-06. Nothing against either (I've had three Vanguards in 257 WBY and have owned a few 25-06's) but if you've got a .308 already I don't see much use for a 25-06 in this "5 Rifle" context. There is very little that you can do with a 25-06 that you can't do with a .308: note the phrasing--there isn't much you can do, not what the cartridge can do that can't be done with the .308. Ballistic gack aside, if you can shoot, you won't be left wanting with a .308.

The 9.3x62 is really a step up from the .308 and is sufficiently distinct from that cartridge to merit owning one in addition to the .308. I've got a CZ 550 FS barreled action that I've put in a McMillan stock. Very fast handling setup; the CZ 550 Kevlar would be the closest off-the-rack equivalent.
These threads crack me up.

My grandfather owned 3 guns when he passed away. An old Win semi auto .22, a model 12 20 gauge, and an old Win 94 long barreled half mag .32 win spec.

I'm getting up in years myself and have been fortunate enough to see a lot of different country and game....but he was probably the best outdoorsman/woodsman/hunter I ever knew. Literally fed his family with his guns, traps and rods.

How would we ever be able to survive this day and age with just 5 guns?

I am just as guilty as everybody else: I have a house full of guns I really don't "need"

wink grin

One of my hunting mentors was a guy in his 70's who owned three firearms, a Marlin Model 81 .22 rimfire, a Model 97 Winchester 12-gauge, and a pre-war Model 70 Winchester .30-06, with a Bausch & Lomb low-magnfication variable from the same era. He did just fine.

I already had a Marlin 81 .22 (purchased with my paper route money), and bought the 97 from him when he was about to trade it on a hardware-store .410 pump. Would have bought the .30-06 from him, except he traded it (with some extra cash!) for a tang-safety Savage 99 .243 to one of his worthless nephews, who promptly pawned the Model 70.

He hunted everything in Montana with those three firearms for many years, and got 'em all without any "failures."
You will want somrthing heavy after the SHTF anf the bears, lion, and wolves start spreading.
I will definitely look into the carbine 550 thanks for the suggestion. Or also possibly putting on an aftermarket stock. Especially since I ding my rifles around and feel a little bad doing it to a wood stock. But you should see the wood stock on my mossberg. After having it for 12 or so years saying it is rough would be an understatement:) To me a hunting rifle is a tool to do a job so I won't spend over about $800 on one, and that would have to be one I REALLY want like the 9.3.

I will take a gander at the CZ 22s sounds like a lot of people here really like them.

I will for sure be looking at used O/U to get a good deal new is not necessary on that just as long as it's in good shape. Field grade is fine with me I don't need fancy in a hunting gun I am gonna bust through brush holding.
I like all your choices. If I had to make it five, I would choose the Ruger American (but maybe in a different caliber. Hopefully there will be a 7mm-08 next year). I have no need for the CZ cannon around my woods but think its a good choice. Maybe add a .22 pistol in the mix? Bottom line is if its what you really want, then they are perfect!
Since you asked what we think, I would put your heavy 30-06, along with your 308 and 25-06 desires, all together and get but one nice rifle--a light-to-medium weight 30-06 with a good fiberglass stock.

Maybe a stainless Ruger or Remington, or Winchester Featherweight. Put a nice McMillan stock on it, and be familiar with just the one rifle.
i re-thought mine and switched to a .257 Roberts built on a yugo mauser, and a 6.5x55 husky mauser.
Your original list is excellent! Go with it.

Swap the barrel and the stock on the Ruger 10/22 and you have a rig capable of incredible accuracy. The swap can be done sitting at your dinner table it is so simple.

9.3 X 62 is magic. Terminal performance exceeds all paper ballistics and recoil.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
...three firearms, a Marlin Model 81 .22 rimfire, a Model 97 Winchester 12-gauge, and a pre-war Model 70 Winchester .30-06...

This is truly all a guy needs.

First, trade your heavy .30-06 for another .30-06 of more appropriate weight. Then you can shorten your list. smile
If you just want 5 more guns, there�s nothing wrong with that list at all. The idea of the Ruger American as a knock around rifle is a good one, if you think you�re going to abuse a rifle quite a bit. I tend to favor the Savage 110 series if I�m looking for something on the cheap. The choice of .308 is a pretty sound choice as well, especially if you keep an eye out for deals on surplus ammunition to keep you nice and frosty with your rifle.

The .25-06 is just a fantastic cartridge that is quite honestly, under-appreciated. I have a bud in Alaska who has killed everything that wanders in front of him with a Ruger Lightweight in .257 Roberts; including Grizzley. Premium bullets make the .25�s into Giant Slayers if you place your shots well, and he does. The .25-06 will do any job you ask of it, and it�s a long range cartridge with few peers. Flat trajectory and very mild recoil is a recipe for great shots at distance. I expect you�ll out-shoot all the guys with .300�s all day long. The .25-06 really could do any job your .308 would do and then some. But I understand your desire for a knock around rifle.

The 9.3x62 � I�m so glad America is finally learning that a magnificent �light heavyweight� has been in front of them for decades. Rather than recognize the superiority of the 9.3x62, we made up cartridges like the .338-06, .35 & .400 Whelen; none of which will do anything the 9.3 won�t do better. If I were hunting Moose, I would probably opt for the .25-06 relying on a good shot and a premium bullet, but the 9.3 gives you the peace of mind knowing it will definitely seal the deal�Moose is a big critter. For Griz, well color me chicken, but I�ll take the 9.3x62 thank you very much.

Don�t let anyone rain on your Ruger 10/22 parade, they�re fantastic little .22lr autoloaders. The great thing about them is they�re the Mr. Potato Head so you can accessorize them any way you want. Out of the box, I think they shoot more than acceptably, but the triggers could be better. A gunsmith could clean that up, or you could buy a drop in trigger kit and there are several that work rather well without really breaking the bank.

20ga � If you practice with a shotgun regularly, the 20 ga will do most anything most would do with a 12 ga. I showed up to a Pheasant hunt with a Browning A5 20 bore when everyone else was shooting 3� 12 ga magnums. They all said I was horribly under-gunned. Well, at the end of the day, my tags were filled, and I was the 2nd to fill them; even had a triple that day. Then I helped two other guys fill their tags. No one made comments about my 20 ga again. I also haven�t been invited back. Anyhow, I�ve killed turkey with a 20ga and I didn�t feel the need to have an extra full choke or a 3� shell. 2 3/4� #6 turkey load out of a fixed modified barrel killed Mr. Tom right on the spot. To me, it�s WAY more fun to call a turkey in to inside of 20 yards, than to take a 10ga magnum and nail one out at 75 yards.
Thanks Kevin. Those were my thoughts pretty much as well. The surplus/cheap ammo was a consideration as well since I do enjoy shooting a good bit. Also about 90% of the people I hunt with use 308 around here so ammo should not be an issue even if I forget my ammo box. Which thankfully I have only done once:) I am pretty set on not getting a non-standard caliber for my main hunting guns. After checking out the 10/22s I don't think they are so large that I need the take-down model. So I will probably get a standard and modify it for what I need it for (decimating the local grey squirrel population for some squirrel gravy and biscuits). I decided for sure against the CZs because they are larger and do not have iron sights on them which for me is a requirement. The 308 will be the first purchase for sure. I found one here for a decent price luckily and they are sure nice for the price and I can beat it up a bit without worrying I am messing up a pricey rifle. Then it will likely be the .22 because of price and easy to find them anywhere. My old 22 is literally 100 years old and just about shot out. Then the other 2 rifles based on if I get drawn for elk or antelope. The 20GA will probably be my xmas present to myself for next year as it will probably be a bit pricey. I just love em and am going to look for a browning/beretta used in decent shape. Overall I will probably use the 20GA most out of all of them so longevity of putting rounds through it is most important of all of them. You want one that you can not worry about putting 10,000 rounds through between hunting and trap/skeet in the next 10 years or so smile
List is great! Buy em, shoot em out, then start a new list!
The 20GA will probably be my xmas present to myself for next year as it will probably be a bit pricey. I just love em and am going to look for a browning/beretta used in decent shape. Overall I will probably use the 20GA most out of all of them so longevity of putting rounds through it is most important of all of them. You want one that you can not worry about putting 10,000 rounds through between hunting and trap/skeet in the next 10 years or so smile
Good call, those are two highly proven 20 bores; you won�t regret buying used Browning/Beretta over a CZ.
At my age, mid-50's, Quality has become more important than Quantity. So I've been thinning my gun collection down over the last few years. I've got a couple of dozen true hunting rifles still & 5 different AR's that I consider Varmit Guns instead of SHTF guns.

Was just thinking the other day if I got down to 5 hunting rifles & a couple of AR-15's & 3 nice shotguns, and about a dozen nice handguns, I could still "get by" here at the ranch.

Here's my list I've been considering, out of calibers I already own:

1. Heavy Barrel 20" fluted AR-15 in .556/.223 for Varmits. two legged or 4 legged....

2. Remington CDL Stainless Fluted Model 700 in 6mm for Antelopes, Whitetails, Coyotes

3. Ruger M77GSR Scout in .308 without a damn Scout Scope for Feral Hogs & Black Bear

4. Remington 700 Classic .264 Win Mag. For Mule Deer & Long Range Antelope

5. Remington 700 Alaskan Stainless (old model) 300 RUM for Elk, Moose, & Brown Bear

6. Winchester Model 70 FeatherWeight in 7X57 Mauser. Just Because it's a Damn Classic
And I've killed just about everything with it & Nosler Partitions

7. Smith & Wesson M&P AR-15 in 300 Whisper/ ACC Blackout / Suppressed for Hogs

Shotguns : Model 42 Winchester .410 Best Shotgun Ever Made!
Remington 1100 28ga Sporting Clays Model, because I never miss with it !
Berretta Silver Hawk 12ga Side by Side Double Barrel. For Everything else.
Ithaca Model 37 12ga pump Factory Riot Gun. House Gun & Quail Slayer.

Marlin .22mag Bolt Action Tube Fed Rifle. & My old Marlin Model 60 tube fed .22lr
Both of which have never failed & have taken tons of rabbits, coons, turkeys & skunks, prairie dogs, foxes, bobcats, squirrels, coyotes, ect

Not ready to thin out my Pistols, just yet. They are still my one & only weakness.... Well that & Redheads...
But... I could probably get by with a half dozen or so.
Like a couple of 1911 45acp Customs, S&W N Frame .44mag, Ruger Flattop .45lc/45acp Convertable with extra cylinder
Glock10mm, S&W Bodygaurd 38sp, Ruger SingleSix 32 H&RMag, Kimber Match .22 1911
S&W Govnernor .410 / .45, & my Bowen Custom Ruger Redhawk .45 colt Alpine Packer

As I now reflect on guns I have, passed down by both Grandfathers, both of whom were Ranchers. One had his trusty Pre-64 94 in 30-30 & a Nice Pre-64 Model 70 in 30-06.
And the other passed down to me his Grandfathers 12ga Damascus S/S double barrel shotgun that made the trip to Texas in the covered wagon from Mississippi after their Plantation was burned out at the end of the Civil War, & also his Dad's Colt Single Action that he carried up the trails to Kansas while cowboying for the famous 6666 or Four-Sixes Ranch during the great Cattle Drives in the 1880's.
They each had 2 guns in their whole life, & didn't feel the need for any others, except for maybe a single shot Stevens Crackshot .22 Rifle. Makes me wonder if I could get by on the 4 Guns they left me...... & what they would both think about all the guns I have now.
Im SO Glad I don't have too... cool
Had a GSR and it wouldn't shoot for nothing. On top of that it's a heavy pig.
Yessir, I recall discussing that with you here on the forum. Luckily mine shoots 1/2" @ 100 yards with Factory Remington Corelocks. Guess I just got lucky ! I LOVE Mine.
One thing all of us must remember is that Swampy's experience is usually an example of one, or even less.
I can only report what mine did. I sure wish it would have shot better. I can't abide an inaccurate rifle.
My first (next) five are...

(1) Winchester Model 70 .257 Roberts(FN) that I have on layaway
(2) Springfield 1911 or XD in .45 or 9mm
(3) Rimfire pistol, not sure which one yet
(4) Tactical shotgun. open to suggestions on that
(5) AR15 or Mini 14
Well first realize this is a do as I say not as I do response as I have multiple overlapping mid sized cartridges. But if I was starting over and I did think there was the possibility of either moose or big bears I would have the following

1 22 rifle which you have decided on a 10/22
2 a small cal centerfire for varmints an A/R configured right could do this and
give you a doomsday option
3 a good medium centerfire and a 308 is as good as any. I sort of see your
25-06 as redundant and not offering much your 30 won't do.
4 A good 12 ga all around shotgun which you say you have
5 At this point I would want a good 22 pistol either auto or revolver but if there were moose or bears I would substitute a 338 mag for the pistol or possibly I would just jump the 308 above to a 300 win mag and let it suffice for everything and keep the 22 pistol

From this point I think the decision is either a nice upland gun i.e. your 20 ga or a centerfire pistol. I really don't see the need for multiple AR's as the potential zoombie attack is really remote and if it does come the logistics of multiple rifles and ammo isn't good. I'm afraid I just don't buy into that scenario enough to spend the coin and would just rely on my true sporting arms.
Originally Posted by deg967
My first (next) five are...

(1) Winchester Model 70 .257 Roberts(FN) that I have on layaway
(2) Springfield 1911 or XD in .45 or 9mm
(3) Rimfire pistol, not sure which one yet
(4) Tactical shotgun. open to suggestions on that
(5) AR15 or Mini 14

1. M.70 WW 257 is a great Classic. You will love it !
2. I've owned about every Springfield Model pistols. I prefer my 1911's, but their XD is one hell of a Pistol. I love my new XDS Compact 45acp
3. I've got several Rimfire pistols. If I only could have one... Ruger Target 22/45
4. tactical shotgun... Hard to beat a Rem. 870. New Win pumps look durable & are priced right. Mossbergs are ok, but you get what you pay for. Spend a little extra & get the one you really want. You wont regret it.
5. I'd stay away from the Ruger Mini-14. I own a ton of Rugers & love them all. But I just hate the Mini-14's!!! I've owned at least a half dozen of them & the best accuracy I ever got was 3" @ 100 yards. Most of them are damn lucky to shoot a 6" group at 100 yards. They feed & function. I'll give em that. But like Swampman says, if it ain't accurate they get sold quickly!
Spend about $200 to $300 more on a good mil spec AR-15. Most of them will shoot 1.5" groups right out of the box with good factory ammo. Not the cheap stuff. I recommend Stag, S&W, DPMS, Bushmaster, or Rock River Arms, or Les Baer.
You can spend another $300 more & get a Colt M-4 Carbine or Model 6920
Personally, I think the Colts are over-rated & over priced. But That's JMHO.
You Definately pay extra for the Prancing Pony stamp, & yes they work great, but I'd spend the extra money on a good Leupold AR Scope. That's more bang for your buck. No pun intended. cool
Remington CDL in 308
Benelli M2 12gauge
RRA Preditor Pursuit 5.56
Smith 686 .357mag
Your choice of 1911
"5 guns I plan on buying for all my needs for any hunting. Tell me what you think"

A fool and his money are soon parted....have a nice life.
Originally Posted by JSTUART
"5 guns I plan on buying for all my needs for any hunting. Tell me what you think"

A fool and his money are soon parted....have a nice life.

Huh? What is this supposed to mean?
99Guy. Nails it in his post
fixitquick79, OP
Nice list! could the 308 pull double duty with reloading 110s instead of the 25-06?

This is what I have been working on, handguns and long guns
While thinning my S&W collection

S&W 629 4" 44 mag.
S&W model 640 38spl for ccw.
10/22 22 LR slicked up 16 1/4" Heavy Barrel
Weatherby MK V 308 synthetic.
stevens 311 20ga
I need to add a heavy which will put me at 6
and then add a 22 handgun 7

99guy you are correct my dad had just 3 a 25colt, stevens 311 and a win 94
3 would be a cz 452 stevens 311 and a NULA 30-06?
gotcha, it probably could but I am not necessarily going totally bare bones. There may be minor overlap esp between the 308 and the 25-06 in use but not enough that I am unwilling to spend the 600 extra for a 25-06 with a decent Nikon or some other good scope. The 25-06 will be a nicer gun I am thinking but I do want a 308 being I like it for most things and I won't worry much about dinging up the 308 sliding down scree slopes etc, will probably just put a $100-150 class scope on the 308. Nothing too cheap but also nothing I will be too upset to replace.
...will probably just put a $100-150 class scope on the 308...

Maybe fewer rifles with better optics if the budget is that tight.
Originally Posted by pal
...will probably just put a $100-150 class scope on the 308...

Maybe fewer rifles with better optics if the budget is that tight.

Not at all. As I mentioned I would be putting better scopes on the others. I mentioned the $100-150 because I would not worry over much on babying the one on the 308 and would not be bothered if I dinged it up crawling up and down the mountains here and had to replace it. Nowadays you can get a pretty good 3-9x40 Nikon prostaff or vortex in that range.
...I mentioned the $100-150 because I would not worry over much on babying the one on the 308 and would not be bothered if I dinged it up crawling up and down the mountains here and had to replace it. Nowadays you can get a pretty good 3-9x40 Nikon prostaff or vortex in that range.

That was my point. You wouldn't have to settle for just "pretty good" if you didn't plan on having so many redundant chamberings. You could then afford to install "great" optics. grin

Thanks/

You might want to cover 1 and 2 with a 7 mag.
Keep 3 or go to 375 H&H
One good AR (soon)
10/22 takedown is very nice
and, I'd go to a 12 gauge something.

Have fun.
smile You are missing my point. I don't want an expensive optic on a gun I am going to bang around. I would feel as though I had to baby a gun with a multiple hundred dollar optic. I never said necessarily that I couldn't afford to put a better optic on it, just that i had reasons for NOT putting one on it.
I have a new Ruger American .308, and several good .30/06 bolt guns, so that is covered.
I use a custom Mauser 7x57 Ackley for longer range things. I also have a couple of nice .270 rifles, Mannlicher Schoenauer and Remington.
No need for anything larger, as I hunt in Florida, Ga, SC and VA. I have owned such things as a .416 Remington, .458 Winchester, .338 Winchester, .358 and .45-70 though.
I have multiple .22 rifles, both semi automatic and bolt. .22 mag as well.
I have a number of shotguns, so that is covered as well.

Guess I am set.
Originally Posted by 99guy
These threads crack me up....................

wink grin

Yeah, but they're fun.
Don't need a walk in gun safe. Just need a few to cover the basics.
12 ga Win pump
12 ga Benelli auto
Win 70 SS Classic .30-06
Tikka SS .243
Next purchase will be a .22lr to round it off.
Times have truly changed for the better. we are indeed fortunate. In my dad's day when he was old enough to hunt he was given a 12 gauge pump which he had to use on everything. He said his friends at school all used either 12 or 16 gauge shotguns for all their hunting too. In his grandfathers day almost everyone around used a 12 or 16 gauge single or double for all around hunting. He said it was rare to know anybody who owned a rifle bigger than .22 caliber. Now we have threads about what five guns are needed for all around work. We are privileged indeed!
This has been a very good thread.
End of January I will be getting my .308 I have decided to go with a Weatherby Vanguard S2 instead of the Ruger American. I held the American and the stock was just too narrow for comfort for me. The Weatherby is a step up without too much more money. About another $100 here. Was gonna get it sooner but bought a Kahr P45 instead.:)Tax return time in a couple months or so will be the other 2 rifles. The 25-06 Vanguard S2 and the CZ 550 9.3x62. Was gonna buy a BCM Recce AR upper with the tax return but I am hearing they still will be out possibly then. So I will move that along to later. Should have everything including the 10/22 by end of July and possibly a glock 29 sf 10mm and a Kahr PM9 to the mix. Should be set then for a good while. smile Just a little update.

Mossberg 810 30-06 = expendable.
Camo Verona 12GA auto.
2-4 AR rifles.
Thanks/

5 guns.

1. You can't go wrong with a .308 Winchester. I would advise you to buy a Remington or other manufacturer with a round Mauser style receiver and bolt. They are easier to work on, tune up, and every gunsmith out there learned on them. I had a vanguard. I think it had 16 locking lugs? Good luck lapping that! I'll take two! Well, all my bolt action rifles have round receivers and two lugs: Remington, Winchester, Nesika Bay, Borden... It makes going to the gunsmith a more pleasurable experience. I like stainless hardware and synthetic stocks. I have one wood stock blue metal hunting rifle, and it was my first. A Finbear Classic in .30-06.

2. Your long range open country rifle. I'd give the same advice as above as to the style of rifle. The caliber is fine. We don't long range hunt anything here, but I spent 20 years shooting deer in crop fields in North Carolina with a .30-.338, which has the basic ballistics of the .300 Win Mag. It did a lot of damage, and a lighter caliber would have done the job.

3. Big Game, I like the .338 Win for availability over a metric. Ammo costs less, and there are better bullet choices. I had one for a year, shot 2 deer with it, and sold it to a "big game" hunter. It hurt my shoulder bad in a little A Bolt rifle. I'd put it in a big stock with a recoil reducer, recoil pad, and possibly a muzzle brake. I'd try it with the pad and reducer before doubling the muzzle blast! If you want a CZ, and it has a round receiver and two locking lugs... Carry on.

4. Ruger take down is fine. I've had a traditional one since I was 12 years old, and I still shoot it. I've also had a 39A Mountie (Marlin .22 lever gun) almost as long and still shoot that too! Can't go wrong.

5. Affordable O/U 20 gauge. Also, can't go wrong. I dreamed the dream though and spent a good decade looking for a Belgian Browning Superposed 20 gauge. I got mine. Unfired in the box, for $2,000. It has spent the last 15 years in the box too! I went out and bought an Ultra to shoot. It's ported and has choke tubes. Way more versatile, shoots well, and is beautiful. Another $2K gun though. The "affordable" gun would be the Citori. A nice condition 2nd hand gun with tubes would be good too. Your NIB CZ is a good idea though.
Thanks for the feedback.

About number 3, I chose the 9.3x62 because it does have only moderate recoil. Slightly more than a 30-06 depending on the gun. Nothing even close to the 338 win mag.
Rob P,

I suspect you're thinking of the Weatherby Mark V action. The Vanguard is built on the Howa action, which has two locking lugs. It's considered just as easy to work on as a Remington 700, and also one of the most accurate actions made.

The Mark V usually doesn't need any accurizing work, due to the multiple lugs all around the bolt. Most will be seated firmly when the rifle is new, and the rest tend to seat after some shooting.
I had a Vanguard in College and I'm pretty sure it had a big fat bolt and a whole lot of little lugs. It was 25 years ago. I know they made them cheaper since then. Mine was good looking, just like a Mark 5. They got cheesier looking. You don't think I had a Mark 5? I didn't pay that much for it. I remember cleaning all the little lugs with a tooth brush and rubbing them down with teflon grease. I had a .30-06 in a slender black synthetic stock with gray spider webbing. It didn't shoot 5 shots into an inch, I can guarantee you that.
Then you didn't have a Vanguard. They've always been based on the Howa since the Vanguard line was introduced in the late 1960's.
© 24hourcampfire