Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of my hunting mentors was a guy in his 70's who owned three firearms, a Marlin Model 81 .22 rimfire, a Model 97 Winchester 12-gauge, and a pre-war Model 70 Winchester .30-06, with a Bausch & Lomb low-magnfication variable from the same era. He did just fine.

I already had a Marlin 81 .22 (purchased with my paper route money), and bought the 97 from him when he was about to trade it on a hardware-store .410 pump. Would have bought the .30-06 from him, except he traded it (with some extra cash!) for a tang-safety Savage 99 .243 to one of his worthless nephews, who promptly pawned the Model 70.

He hunted everything in Montana with those three firearms for many years, and got 'em all without any "failures."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You will want somrthing heavy after the SHTF anf the bears, lion, and wolves start spreading.

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I will definitely look into the carbine 550 thanks for the suggestion. Or also possibly putting on an aftermarket stock. Especially since I ding my rifles around and feel a little bad doing it to a wood stock. But you should see the wood stock on my mossberg. After having it for 12 or so years saying it is rough would be an understatement:) To me a hunting rifle is a tool to do a job so I won't spend over about $800 on one, and that would have to be one I REALLY want like the 9.3.

I will take a gander at the CZ 22s sounds like a lot of people here really like them.

I will for sure be looking at used O/U to get a good deal new is not necessary on that just as long as it's in good shape. Field grade is fine with me I don't need fancy in a hunting gun I am gonna bust through brush holding.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like all your choices. If I had to make it five, I would choose the Ruger American (but maybe in a different caliber. Hopefully there will be a 7mm-08 next year). I have no need for the CZ cannon around my woods but think its a good choice. Maybe add a .22 pistol in the mix? Bottom line is if its what you really want, then they are perfect!

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Since you asked what we think, I would put your heavy 30-06, along with your 308 and 25-06 desires, all together and get but one nice rifle--a light-to-medium weight 30-06 with a good fiberglass stock.

Maybe a stainless Ruger or Remington, or Winchester Featherweight. Put a nice McMillan stock on it, and be familiar with just the one rifle.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
i re-thought mine and switched to a .257 Roberts built on a yugo mauser, and a 6.5x55 husky mauser.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your original list is excellent! Go with it.

Swap the barrel and the stock on the Ruger 10/22 and you have a rig capable of incredible accuracy. The swap can be done sitting at your dinner table it is so simple.

9.3 X 62 is magic. Terminal performance exceeds all paper ballistics and recoil.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
...three firearms, a Marlin Model 81 .22 rimfire, a Model 97 Winchester 12-gauge, and a pre-war Model 70 Winchester .30-06...

This is truly all a guy needs.

First, trade your heavy .30-06 for another .30-06 of more appropriate weight. Then you can shorten your list. smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you just want 5 more guns, there�s nothing wrong with that list at all. The idea of the Ruger American as a knock around rifle is a good one, if you think you�re going to abuse a rifle quite a bit. I tend to favor the Savage 110 series if I�m looking for something on the cheap. The choice of .308 is a pretty sound choice as well, especially if you keep an eye out for deals on surplus ammunition to keep you nice and frosty with your rifle.

The .25-06 is just a fantastic cartridge that is quite honestly, under-appreciated. I have a bud in Alaska who has killed everything that wanders in front of him with a Ruger Lightweight in .257 Roberts; including Grizzley. Premium bullets make the .25�s into Giant Slayers if you place your shots well, and he does. The .25-06 will do any job you ask of it, and it�s a long range cartridge with few peers. Flat trajectory and very mild recoil is a recipe for great shots at distance. I expect you�ll out-shoot all the guys with .300�s all day long. The .25-06 really could do any job your .308 would do and then some. But I understand your desire for a knock around rifle.

The 9.3x62 � I�m so glad America is finally learning that a magnificent �light heavyweight� has been in front of them for decades. Rather than recognize the superiority of the 9.3x62, we made up cartridges like the .338-06, .35 & .400 Whelen; none of which will do anything the 9.3 won�t do better. If I were hunting Moose, I would probably opt for the .25-06 relying on a good shot and a premium bullet, but the 9.3 gives you the peace of mind knowing it will definitely seal the deal�Moose is a big critter. For Griz, well color me chicken, but I�ll take the 9.3x62 thank you very much.

Don�t let anyone rain on your Ruger 10/22 parade, they�re fantastic little .22lr autoloaders. The great thing about them is they�re the Mr. Potato Head so you can accessorize them any way you want. Out of the box, I think they shoot more than acceptably, but the triggers could be better. A gunsmith could clean that up, or you could buy a drop in trigger kit and there are several that work rather well without really breaking the bank.

20ga � If you practice with a shotgun regularly, the 20 ga will do most anything most would do with a 12 ga. I showed up to a Pheasant hunt with a Browning A5 20 bore when everyone else was shooting 3� 12 ga magnums. They all said I was horribly under-gunned. Well, at the end of the day, my tags were filled, and I was the 2nd to fill them; even had a triple that day. Then I helped two other guys fill their tags. No one made comments about my 20 ga again. I also haven�t been invited back. Anyhow, I�ve killed turkey with a 20ga and I didn�t feel the need to have an extra full choke or a 3� shell. 2 3/4� #6 turkey load out of a fixed modified barrel killed Mr. Tom right on the spot. To me, it�s WAY more fun to call a turkey in to inside of 20 yards, than to take a 10ga magnum and nail one out at 75 yards.

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thanks Kevin. Those were my thoughts pretty much as well. The surplus/cheap ammo was a consideration as well since I do enjoy shooting a good bit. Also about 90% of the people I hunt with use 308 around here so ammo should not be an issue even if I forget my ammo box. Which thankfully I have only done once:) I am pretty set on not getting a non-standard caliber for my main hunting guns. After checking out the 10/22s I don't think they are so large that I need the take-down model. So I will probably get a standard and modify it for what I need it for (decimating the local grey squirrel population for some squirrel gravy and biscuits). I decided for sure against the CZs because they are larger and do not have iron sights on them which for me is a requirement. The 308 will be the first purchase for sure. I found one here for a decent price luckily and they are sure nice for the price and I can beat it up a bit without worrying I am messing up a pricey rifle. Then it will likely be the .22 because of price and easy to find them anywhere. My old 22 is literally 100 years old and just about shot out. Then the other 2 rifles based on if I get drawn for elk or antelope. The 20GA will probably be my xmas present to myself for next year as it will probably be a bit pricey. I just love em and am going to look for a browning/beretta used in decent shape. Overall I will probably use the 20GA most out of all of them so longevity of putting rounds through it is most important of all of them. You want one that you can not worry about putting 10,000 rounds through between hunting and trap/skeet in the next 10 years or so smile

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
List is great! Buy em, shoot em out, then start a new list!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fixitquick79
The 20GA will probably be my xmas present to myself for next year as it will probably be a bit pricey. I just love em and am going to look for a browning/beretta used in decent shape. Overall I will probably use the 20GA most out of all of them so longevity of putting rounds through it is most important of all of them. You want one that you can not worry about putting 10,000 rounds through between hunting and trap/skeet in the next 10 years or so smile
Good call, those are two highly proven 20 bores; you won�t regret buying used Browning/Beretta over a CZ.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
At my age, mid-50's, Quality has become more important than Quantity. So I've been thinning my gun collection down over the last few years. I've got a couple of dozen true hunting rifles still & 5 different AR's that I consider Varmit Guns instead of SHTF guns.

Was just thinking the other day if I got down to 5 hunting rifles & a couple of AR-15's & 3 nice shotguns, and about a dozen nice handguns, I could still "get by" here at the ranch.

Here's my list I've been considering, out of calibers I already own:

1. Heavy Barrel 20" fluted AR-15 in .556/.223 for Varmits. two legged or 4 legged....

2. Remington CDL Stainless Fluted Model 700 in 6mm for Antelopes, Whitetails, Coyotes

3. Ruger M77GSR Scout in .308 without a damn Scout Scope for Feral Hogs & Black Bear

4. Remington 700 Classic .264 Win Mag. For Mule Deer & Long Range Antelope

5. Remington 700 Alaskan Stainless (old model) 300 RUM for Elk, Moose, & Brown Bear

6. Winchester Model 70 FeatherWeight in 7X57 Mauser. Just Because it's a Damn Classic
And I've killed just about everything with it & Nosler Partitions

7. Smith & Wesson M&P AR-15 in 300 Whisper/ ACC Blackout / Suppressed for Hogs

Shotguns : Model 42 Winchester .410 Best Shotgun Ever Made!
Remington 1100 28ga Sporting Clays Model, because I never miss with it !
Berretta Silver Hawk 12ga Side by Side Double Barrel. For Everything else.
Ithaca Model 37 12ga pump Factory Riot Gun. House Gun & Quail Slayer.

Marlin .22mag Bolt Action Tube Fed Rifle. & My old Marlin Model 60 tube fed .22lr
Both of which have never failed & have taken tons of rabbits, coons, turkeys & skunks, prairie dogs, foxes, bobcats, squirrels, coyotes, ect

Not ready to thin out my Pistols, just yet. They are still my one & only weakness.... Well that & Redheads...
But... I could probably get by with a half dozen or so.
Like a couple of 1911 45acp Customs, S&W N Frame .44mag, Ruger Flattop .45lc/45acp Convertable with extra cylinder
Glock10mm, S&W Bodygaurd 38sp, Ruger SingleSix 32 H&RMag, Kimber Match .22 1911
S&W Govnernor .410 / .45, & my Bowen Custom Ruger Redhawk .45 colt Alpine Packer

As I now reflect on guns I have, passed down by both Grandfathers, both of whom were Ranchers. One had his trusty Pre-64 94 in 30-30 & a Nice Pre-64 Model 70 in 30-06.
And the other passed down to me his Grandfathers 12ga Damascus S/S double barrel shotgun that made the trip to Texas in the covered wagon from Mississippi after their Plantation was burned out at the end of the Civil War, & also his Dad's Colt Single Action that he carried up the trails to Kansas while cowboying for the famous 6666 or Four-Sixes Ranch during the great Cattle Drives in the 1880's.
They each had 2 guns in their whole life, & didn't feel the need for any others, except for maybe a single shot Stevens Crackshot .22 Rifle. Makes me wonder if I could get by on the 4 Guns they left me...... & what they would both think about all the guns I have now.
Im SO Glad I don't have too... cool

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a GSR and it wouldn't shoot for nothing. On top of that it's a heavy pig.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yessir, I recall discussing that with you here on the forum. Luckily mine shoots 1/2" @ 100 yards with Factory Remington Corelocks. Guess I just got lucky ! I LOVE Mine.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One thing all of us must remember is that Swampy's experience is usually an example of one, or even less.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can only report what mine did. I sure wish it would have shot better. I can't abide an inaccurate rifle.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My first (next) five are...

(1) Winchester Model 70 .257 Roberts(FN) that I have on layaway
(2) Springfield 1911 or XD in .45 or 9mm
(3) Rimfire pistol, not sure which one yet
(4) Tactical shotgun. open to suggestions on that
(5) AR15 or Mini 14

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well first realize this is a do as I say not as I do response as I have multiple overlapping mid sized cartridges. But if I was starting over and I did think there was the possibility of either moose or big bears I would have the following

1 22 rifle which you have decided on a 10/22
2 a small cal centerfire for varmints an A/R configured right could do this and
give you a doomsday option
3 a good medium centerfire and a 308 is as good as any. I sort of see your
25-06 as redundant and not offering much your 30 won't do.
4 A good 12 ga all around shotgun which you say you have
5 At this point I would want a good 22 pistol either auto or revolver but if there were moose or bears I would substitute a 338 mag for the pistol or possibly I would just jump the 308 above to a 300 win mag and let it suffice for everything and keep the 22 pistol

From this point I think the decision is either a nice upland gun i.e. your 20 ga or a centerfire pistol. I really don't see the need for multiple AR's as the potential zoombie attack is really remote and if it does come the logistics of multiple rifles and ammo isn't good. I'm afraid I just don't buy into that scenario enough to spend the coin and would just rely on my true sporting arms.

Last edited by bangeye; 12/13/12.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deg967
My first (next) five are...

(1) Winchester Model 70 .257 Roberts(FN) that I have on layaway
(2) Springfield 1911 or XD in .45 or 9mm
(3) Rimfire pistol, not sure which one yet
(4) Tactical shotgun. open to suggestions on that
(5) AR15 or Mini 14

1. M.70 WW 257 is a great Classic. You will love it !
2. I've owned about every Springfield Model pistols. I prefer my 1911's, but their XD is one hell of a Pistol. I love my new XDS Compact 45acp
3. I've got several Rimfire pistols. If I only could have one... Ruger Target 22/45
4. tactical shotgun... Hard to beat a Rem. 870. New Win pumps look durable & are priced right. Mossbergs are ok, but you get what you pay for. Spend a little extra & get the one you really want. You wont regret it.
5. I'd stay away from the Ruger Mini-14. I own a ton of Rugers & love them all. But I just hate the Mini-14's!!! I've owned at least a half dozen of them & the best accuracy I ever got was 3" @ 100 yards. Most of them are damn lucky to shoot a 6" group at 100 yards. They feed & function. I'll give em that. But like Swampman says, if it ain't accurate they get sold quickly!
Spend about $200 to $300 more on a good mil spec AR-15. Most of them will shoot 1.5" groups right out of the box with good factory ammo. Not the cheap stuff. I recommend Stag, S&W, DPMS, Bushmaster, or Rock River Arms, or Les Baer.
You can spend another $300 more & get a Colt M-4 Carbine or Model 6920
Personally, I think the Colts are over-rated & over priced. But That's JMHO.
You Definately pay extra for the Prancing Pony stamp, & yes they work great, but I'd spend the extra money on a good Leupold AR Scope. That's more bang for your buck. No pun intended. cool

Last edited by chlinstructor; 12/13/12.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,190
Posts18,523,965
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.