Home
What gadgets, add-ons, devices or tools can you not live without? Do you have any cool stuff that you can recommend? Maybe gun sight, a scope, a wrench, cases, slings, a cleaning compound?

I'm particularly interested in the AR platform because that's what I've been writing about.

I'm a newly minted gun writer with a column called "On Target" in a Hawaii publication. See:

(http://www.hawaiireporter.com/category/hawaii-special-features/on-target)

Any tips would be appreciated.

mahalo

Rob Kay
Magazines are an AR-15 item that I can't live without. I keep a vest with thirteen loaded thirty round magazine and the Sportical behind the rear seat.

Thirty-three years ago I started a close, four year, attachment to an M16A1, so, in contrast, my AR15A2 and Sportical seem pretty modern.
Ammunition.
Side-mounted two point sling.
Congratulations of your new job!

I really like the Timney AR-15 trigger. The head of Timney, John Vehr, is an AR-15 fan and made sure it came out right. It's hard to shoot any rifle well without a good trigger.

Magazines are definitely at the top of the list. I have a bunch of different ones, in various sizes, because 20-round (or smaller) mags work better when shooting off a bench when working up loads, since they're usually shorter than the pistol grip. But higher-capacity magazines can also double as field rests when hunting, because they're longer than the grip. I've shot a bunch of varmints from prairie dogs up from prone using a 30-round magazine as an impromptu rest.

Brownells offers some good mounts, especially under their own name. Frank Brownell also really likes AR's!

I have a Rem R-15 for a coyote/vermint rifle and MD is spot on.
I replaced the crappy factory trigger with a 3 lb. Timney and it's great addition.
I also agree with the smaller capacity mags for bench shooting and hunting.
A wide magnification range scope makes it versatile too, I have a 3-12.
What AR-15 items can I not live without? Pretty much all of them. BUT, I will defend to my last breath your right to play with them! Smooth sailing, pal, and good luck in your new writing venture!
I make sure to have a good trigger, light, two point sling and optic with iron backups. I've also been converted to a vertical foregrip, but only because it's a much more comfortable way to cary the gun during extended searches, perimeter duty, ect. The rest of your money should go to mags and ammo.
I guess it depends on what game you want to play, but to me a good float tube is at the top of the list, along with a good trigger.
mine look naked campared to most of them i see . good sights, good trigger, good mags,forget all the other crap. its just heavy.rio7
New to them, but must say that Larue scope mount, 104, is really sweet.
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Ammunition.

This
Good optics, ammo, light, sling, and trigger.

Free floated Forend is nice.
Originally Posted by RIO7
mine look naked campared to most of them i see . good sights, good trigger, good mags,forget all the other crap. its just heavy.rio7

+1
I can actually live without an AR-15
target, or it's just in the air grin
I can pretty much live without most of them other than a decent trigger and plenty of magazines. Night vision capability is a plus. But then I used a .45 Government Model and Grease guns for most of my military career other than the times that I used a Rem in .308 or .300 Win Mag. The Black Rifle as issued in the '60s, '70s and early '80s was somewhat of a bust but it did progress.
Mine have to have decent triggers (Timney in two of them so far), at least 5 magazines each and backup iron sights.
So you're writing about AR-15s in a publication, and you are looking for content here?

[bleep] me to tears.
Anyway to answer the question,

-Ammo
-Cleaning gear
I've got a nice little bore guide that has rubber o rings that hold it in the upper. Definately recommend one for cleaning. I also like the scope base ring combo units that allow the scope to be mounted further forward. I have different AR's for different purposes and they're set up completely different. My varmint is a RRA predator pursuit with a 4-14 scope and not much else but a good trigger and 20 round mags. My personal defense gun is a colt M4 carbine with the stock you can lock a lever to take the slop out, flip up sights, and a receiver riser with a 3 MOA red dot sight. I run 30 roundags and a side mount sling on it.

Nice part about ARs is the ability to set them up to your needs or purpose.

Bb
Originally Posted by Kaumheimer
What gadgets, add-ons, devices or tools can you not live without? Do you have any cool stuff that you can recommend? Maybe gun sight, a scope, a wrench, cases, slings, a cleaning compound?

I'm particularly interested in the AR platform because that's what I've been writing about.

I'm a newly minted gun writer with a column called "On Target" in a Hawaii publication. See:

mahalo

Rob Kay

For what application?

Mahalo,
Travis
I have two, one for protection (PSA Carbine) and one for hunting (DD V7 mid-length). Both wear Geissele triggers, though different models. Other than that and sight differences due to the premised application, they were good to go.
Never cared much for all the gizmos on AR-15's nowadays. Carried a plain ol M-16 (and M-14...loved it) while in Rangers and did just fine then. Good magazines, good ammo....that's all you really need.
Appreciate all the comments. Yes, as a writer, I'm always looking for ideas to write about. I find the people on this forum to be "akamai", as they say in Hawaii, which means smart, with it and informed.

I'm new to the platform so I'm looking to learn about what people are using and why. As I look around for the basics to acquire, ie sights, aftermarket trigger, etc, it's good to know what other people are using. (And yes, I'm getting a Timney for sure).

Someone commented about applications for the rifle. Good point. My question was more hypothetical or general in nature.

In my case however, I'm building one, with some help from an friend from the ground up. I figure that would be a good place start in the learning process.

My gun would be mostly used for punching paper so I'm interested in accuracy. May possibly hunting pigs or goats (or Axis Deer) too.

FWIW I'm also interested in what types of "peripherals" ( ie bags, wrenches, etc) might also be valuable to own.

mahalo nui loa (Thanks very much)
Burley Boy, your bore guide sounds interesting...got a brand name? I'll look it up and could mention it in a story.

BTW we have a 10 rd mag limit here in Hawaii. You can use it at the range and the cops will look the other way but don't push your luck...
Personally, I can do without an AR15.
I like my M1G and my M1A1 and my 1911's.
One of these!!!
http://youtu.be/_n6k4Fo7DSY

mahalo

Rob Kay

Go over to M4 Carbine forums, register there tell them your a new gun writer and want them to help you with what is important. There will be a whole lot of learnin goin on immediately.
Great Trigger & a accurate barrel. All my AR's are sub MOA shooters.
I refuse to own a gun of any kind that's not accurate! cool
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Go over to M4 Carbine forums, register there tell them your a new gun writer and want them to help you with what is important. There will be a whole lot of learnin goin on immediately.

But keep in mind, those guys are nothing but 3-gun.
In my case however, I'm building one, with some help from an friend from the ground up. I figure that would be a good place start in the learning process.

My gun would be mostly used for punching paper so I'm interested in accuracy. May possibly hunting pigs or goats (or Axis Deer) too.

FWIW I'm also interested in what types of "peripherals" ( ie bags, wrenches, etc) might also be valuable to own.

I'd go 16" standard weight barrel. Flattop, with one of the new MK AR's from Leupold and Burris PEPR mount.

Timney's are good.

AR's get heavy very quick. Avoid the urge to clamp schit all over it.

GFY (Means praise the Lord)
Travis
Originally Posted by deflave

And leave some space on the handguard for a hand.

I'd go 16" standard weight barrel. Flattop, with one of the new MK AR's from Leupold and Burris PEPR mount.

Timney's are good.

Travis

You guys are going to make me buy an AR. Never owned one......yet.

I messed with several yesterday -- mainly the low end Bushmaster and DPMS Sportical. I was surprised by how light they were. I like the flattop and 16" barrel too. I may take the plunge soon...
I love them for the truck and calling dogs.

Travis
I need one for Zombies -- maybe for the North Korean invasion too <grin>

It would actually be neat for calling dogs. I've just never messed with one much. I guess it's time to take the plunge.....probably before my Montana Gophergeddon this summer/fall. I'd like to see what it would do on the killing fields in Rapelje.
My Bushmaster has the skinny little 16" barrel, and the only add-on is a Timney. A lot people assume it wouldn't shoot very well--but it does, and weighs 7-3/4.

Oh, there is one add-on I sometimes use in states other than Montana, a night-vision scope. But it just switches out with the Burris that's here in Montana.
I've used them for work so long I never had an urge to buy one. But a buddy back east started using one for dogs and he couldn't go back to a bolt. After that I took the plunge and it has proven to be one of the most useful firearms I own.

Rancho Loco has one set up for gophers/PD's. He's lovin' it.

Travis
I think I'll start investigating the options. LGS has several in stock.
Any suggestions on gear to maintain the gun or house it, ie bag, cases, tools, etc? What would be your favorite utility wrench for example?
Clean an AR?

That's as stupid as cleaning a shotgun.

Travis
My gun would be mostly used for punching paper so I'm interested in accuracy.

The barrel is the heart of your accuracy potential in an AR platform. Look for one made of stainless if possible. The Chrome lined barrels are great for "fighting" guns and some are accurate but you stand a better chance of getting a more accurate rifle if you bypass the chrome.

As others have mentioned a good trigger will go a long way in helping with accuracy. The Timney is a good choice. The best I have ever used is the Geissele Hi-Speed models.

A model with a free float tube or rail system will be very helpful in getting every last bit of accuracy from your rifle.

I prefer a minimum barrel length of 18" for an AR that I might ever decide to hunt with. The 14.5" and 16" barrels are nice but I find them too loud to shoot without hearing protection and I never wear that when I hunt. For a fighting rifle the 14.5" (with a pinned F/S)is an excellent choice.

I'm sure you've already figured this out but get a flat top upper.

If you're not building your own rifle you don't need any special tools. They clean up just like any other rifle. Just keep the bolt carrier group oiled and you'll be good to go.
Any suggestions on gear to maintain the gun or house it, ie bag, cases, tools, etc? What would be your favorite utility wrench for example?

Look up Chris F here and PM him same questions....
Besides all the above advice, the only parts failure I've had in one was an extractor spring go bad, so I'd obtain a couple of spare extractor springs.

I'll add - the tools to change barrels - action vise(s), wrench for the nut are useful. I've never changed a barrel on a bolt action myself, but have done it a couple times now with AR's.

The guns are modular in design, and fun and easy to rebarrel & otherwise modify smile

That CRACKED ME UP!

I'm with others who could live w/o ARs in general. I have one but it is neglected simply because I like shooting bolt actions a whole lot better.

ARs are great for carrying afield for sure. I'm working on a good 2-point sling as pointed out by others, and a free-floated hand guard. I put a Bushnell 3200 2-7x 32mm on mine and it is good nuff, just like the rifle itself. I've been loading its favorite load by the hundreds, thumbing my PMags full in anticipation of the coming fecal matter impacting the air circulation device.

All...including the rat gun!!
Originally Posted by TC1

I prefer a minimum barrel length of 18" for an AR that I might ever decide to hunt with. The 14.5" and 16" barrels are nice but I find them too loud to shoot without hearing protection and I never wear that when I hunt. For a fighting rifle the 14.5" (with a pinned F/S)is an excellent choice.

Get a Walker's Game Ear. You won't go back. The contractors I worked with in Iraq figured that out PDQ, at least the ones who can still hear did.
© 24hourcampfire