Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've got a nice little bore guide that has rubber o rings that hold it in the upper. Definately recommend one for cleaning. I also like the scope base ring combo units that allow the scope to be mounted further forward. I have different AR's for different purposes and they're set up completely different. My varmint is a RRA predator pursuit with a 4-14 scope and not much else but a good trigger and 20 round mags. My personal defense gun is a colt M4 carbine with the stock you can lock a lever to take the slop out, flip up sights, and a receiver riser with a 3 MOA red dot sight. I run 30 roundags and a side mount sling on it.

Nice part about ARs is the ability to set them up to your needs or purpose.

Bb

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Kaumheimer
What gadgets, add-ons, devices or tools can you not live without? Do you have any cool stuff that you can recommend? Maybe gun sight, a scope, a wrench, cases, slings, a cleaning compound?

I'm particularly interested in the AR platform because that's what I've been writing about.

I'm a newly minted gun writer with a column called "On Target" in a Hawaii publication. See:

(http://www.hawaiireporter.com/category/hawaii-special-features/on-target)

Any tips would be appreciated.

mahalo

Rob Kay

For what application?

Mahalo,
Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have two, one for protection (PSA Carbine) and one for hunting (DD V7 mid-length). Both wear Geissele triggers, though different models. Other than that and sight differences due to the premised application, they were good to go.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Never cared much for all the gizmos on AR-15's nowadays. Carried a plain ol M-16 (and M-14...loved it) while in Rangers and did just fine then. Good magazines, good ammo....that's all you really need.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Appreciate all the comments. Yes, as a writer, I'm always looking for ideas to write about. I find the people on this forum to be "akamai", as they say in Hawaii, which means smart, with it and informed.

I'm new to the platform so I'm looking to learn about what people are using and why. As I look around for the basics to acquire, ie sights, aftermarket trigger, etc, it's good to know what other people are using. (And yes, I'm getting a Timney for sure).

Someone commented about applications for the rifle. Good point. My question was more hypothetical or general in nature.

In my case however, I'm building one, with some help from an friend from the ground up. I figure that would be a good place start in the learning process.

My gun would be mostly used for punching paper so I'm interested in accuracy. May possibly hunting pigs or goats (or Axis Deer) too.

FWIW I'm also interested in what types of "peripherals" ( ie bags, wrenches, etc) might also be valuable to own.

mahalo nui loa (Thanks very much)

NRA Member

Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.
Carl Jung
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Burley Boy, your bore guide sounds interesting...got a brand name? I'll look it up and could mention it in a story.

BTW we have a 10 rd mag limit here in Hawaii. You can use it at the range and the cops will look the other way but don't push your luck...

Last edited by Kaumheimer; 03/28/13.

NRA Member

Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.
Carl Jung
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Personally, I can do without an AR15.
I like my M1G and my M1A1 and my 1911's.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What gadgets, add-ons, devices or tools can you not live without? Do you have any cool stuff that you can recommend? Maybe gun sight, a scope, a wrench, cases, slings, a cleaning compound?

I'm particularly interested in the AR platform because that's what I've been writing about.

I'm a newly minted gun writer with a column called "On Target" in a Hawaii publication. See:

(http://www.hawaiireporter.com/category/hawaii-special-features/on-target)

Any tips would be appreciated.

mahalo

Rob Kay

Go over to M4 Carbine forums, register there tell them your a new gun writer and want them to help you with what is important. There will be a whole lot of learnin goin on immediately.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great Trigger & a accurate barrel. All my AR's are sub MOA shooters.
I refuse to own a gun of any kind that's not accurate! cool

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/04/13.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Go over to M4 Carbine forums, register there tell them your a new gun writer and want them to help you with what is important. There will be a whole lot of learnin goin on immediately.

But keep in mind, those guys are nothing but 3-gun.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
In my case however, I'm building one, with some help from an friend from the ground up. I figure that would be a good place start in the learning process.

My gun would be mostly used for punching paper so I'm interested in accuracy. May possibly hunting pigs or goats (or Axis Deer) too.

FWIW I'm also interested in what types of "peripherals" ( ie bags, wrenches, etc) might also be valuable to own.

I'd go 16" standard weight barrel. Flattop, with one of the new MK AR's from Leupold and Burris PEPR mount.

Timney's are good.

AR's get heavy very quick. Avoid the urge to clamp schit all over it.

GFY (Means praise the Lord)
Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave

And leave some space on the handguard for a hand.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by deflave

I'd go 16" standard weight barrel. Flattop, with one of the new MK AR's from Leupold and Burris PEPR mount.

Timney's are good.

GFY (Means praise the Lord)
Travis

You guys are going to make me buy an AR. Never owned one......yet.

I messed with several yesterday -- mainly the low end Bushmaster and DPMS Sportical. I was surprised by how light they were. I like the flattop and 16" barrel too. I may take the plunge soon...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I love them for the truck and calling dogs.

Travis

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I need one for Zombies -- maybe for the North Korean invasion too <grin>

It would actually be neat for calling dogs. I've just never messed with one much. I guess it's time to take the plunge.....probably before my Montana Gophergeddon this summer/fall. I'd like to see what it would do on the killing fields in Rapelje.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My Bushmaster has the skinny little 16" barrel, and the only add-on is a Timney. A lot people assume it wouldn't shoot very well--but it does, and weighs 7-3/4.

Oh, there is one add-on I sometimes use in states other than Montana, a night-vision scope. But it just switches out with the Burris that's here in Montana.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've used them for work so long I never had an urge to buy one. But a buddy back east started using one for dogs and he couldn't go back to a bolt. After that I took the plunge and it has proven to be one of the most useful firearms I own.

Rancho Loco has one set up for gophers/PD's. He's lovin' it.

Travis

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think I'll start investigating the options. LGS has several in stock.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Any suggestions on gear to maintain the gun or house it, ie bag, cases, tools, etc? What would be your favorite utility wrench for example?

NRA Member

Carl Jung
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,724
Posts18,475,825
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.