Home
Thought the Campfire might find this of interest:

ANOKA, Minn. � May 2, 2013 � Federal Premium� Ammunition and sister company CCI� have dedicated 20 million rounds of rimfire ammunition to youth shooting sports programs. The Boy Scouts of America will receive 10 million .22 LR shells, and another 10 million will be sent to other organizations. This product sold at a discounted price will ship directly to the 4-H Shooting Sports, Boy Scouts and other qualified youth organizations. The ammunition distribution process was in cooperation with the Youth Shooting Sports Alliance (YSSA). Delivery is expected in May and will help ensure that many camps, shooting programs and trainings can occur over the summer.

The consumer demand for ammunition over the last several months has put a strain on manufacturers across the country. Both Federal Premium and CCI continue to run their plants 24 hours a day, seven days a week�as they have for years. Despite the best efforts of over 2,000 employees working around the clock, customers are having trouble finding ammunition.
Thank you, John, that is interesting and informative.
Good for them! Rather have it going to kids programs than being carried around gun shows by a guy trying to get 500% price on it. grin
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Good for them! Rather have it going to kids programs than being carried around gun shows by a guy trying to get 500% price on it. grin

Amen!
Originally Posted by Huntingnut

Amen!
Yep, no kidding. mtmuley
That's just terrific! Thanks for the update, Mr. B.
I thought it might be interesting!

It's too bad the stockpilers and profiteers are buying so much .22 ammo that companies have to divert some of their production just so young shooters (who we need to keep our traditions alive) will have enough .22 ammunition to shoot. Good thing Federal and CCI are on top of the situation.
Very cool.
Good to know. Thanks
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

It's too bad the stockpilers and profiteers are buying so much .22 ammo that companies have to divert some of their production just so young shooters (who we need to keep our traditions alive) will have enough .22 ammunition to shoot. Good thing Federal and CCI are on top of the situation.

Very well put.
Well Done! Keep the kids shooting! Thanks for the info John.
I read somewhere CCI makes 4 million rounds of rimfire a day. So 5 or 6 days to fill that order. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.
The 4 million doesn't include the OTHER rimfire ammo aside from .22 Long Rifles.

Shipping will at least double the cost.

When's the last time you donated 2 weeks of your pay to some cause?
Good for Federal/CCI!

Our local conservation officer has been running into walls looking for .22 LR ammo for the local Youth Activity Day/Step Outside Event which is sponsored by SD Game, Fish and Parks. Very popular program, includes fishing, archery, camping and other outdoor activities. It's lead to more participation in our 4-H Shooting Sports trap and archery programs.
What profiteers?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Rifle-Ammunition/BI.aspx?Keywords=22lr
I'm sure all this is just some old stuff gramma found in the garage after grandpa passed away.
I have purchased 22 ammo from Federal Before for Boy Scouts.

They usually make factory seconds available to us.. sounds like this time it is not factory seconds, but who knows...

I'll have to call them tomorrow, as I have roughly 15 kids that I need to qualify the shooting part to complete their Rifle Shooting Merit Badge...
Simply splendid! Good for them.
Great move on their part. Many thanks to them.
I looked at the gunbroker auction. I can't believe people are actually bidding on that stuff at those prices. I've only got 1 525 pack of 22lr ammo on hand right now and I wouldn't even consider paying those prices just to add to my stock. I'll get by with what I have till all this blows over then maybe I'll buy a little more.
Nice. Timing could not be better as my son's 4H club is running tight. Hopefully some will end up in Comfort Texas for the lads and ladies.
Originally Posted by justin10mm
I read somewhere CCI makes 4 million rounds of rimfire a day. So 5 or 6 days to fill that order. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

There's always one in every crowd.
Doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

Speaks volumes when doing something nice for the youth of our sport "doesn't seem like a big deal". blush miles
What I meant was it doesn't sound like it would be putting that much extra strain on the factories producing the ammo. Sheesh

<<<<< I fully support CCI, notice the box. smirk <<<<<
I think perhaps you missed the point, Justin. They've been working at maximum output for years. They CAN'T make any more than they are - and they are selling every last round of it. They COULD ask premium prices of all those stockpilers and profiteers and thereby boost their own profit.

But they aren't. They're setting aside a healthy chunk of ammo at special DISCOUNT prices to support youth programs.
Not a thing wrong with that. smile
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I looked at the gunbroker auction. I can't believe people are actually bidding on that stuff at those prices. I've only got 1 525 pack of 22lr ammo on hand right now and I wouldn't even consider paying those prices just to add to my stock. I'll get by with what I have till all this blows over then maybe I'll buy a little more.

I never understood the whole .22 LR hoarding thing. What are you going to do with 5,000 rounds of .22 LR if the SHTF anyway? Pass the time plinking cans during the collapse of western civilization? grin
The 4 million doesn't include the OTHER rimfire ammo aside from .22 Long Rifles.

Shipping will at least double the cost.

When's the last time you donated 2 weeks of your pay to some cause?

Actually never...Kudos to ATK
I was asked by the local Scout Council to help them locate .22 LR ammo for their summer camp. They go through about 30,000 rounds. (They also have a shotgun shooting program using 12 and 20 GA shotguns, but that is not included in the 30K rounds.) CCI referred me to the National Boy Scouts' Council. There's politics involved in that....

We average about 50 rounds per boy per week. Not that much really, but the shooting programs are just about the most popular at Camp. (When I was a youth staff member there, I ran the Mo-Skeet-O range every summer from 14 until 18.) It really is rewarding to see kids that have never held a firearm take their first shots.
JB
I appreciate the insight you have given us into both the reality of the manufacturing efforts that have been underway and the integrity of those organizations.
Since our children are all girls, we are familiar with the 4H program and it is great. Granddaughter anxiously awaits turning eleven so she can participate. I'm sure the BSA program is good as well.

A big thanks to CCI/Federal for their participation. Makes me want to try harder to find their stuff. I have had great experiences with their products for the last many years.

Thank you MD for passing this info on to us. Jack
Wished we had similar program's here in Australia. Well done Federal.

Good for them. Thanks for posting this.
Enjoyed the thread, good on Federal/CCI for what they are doing. Back in 08 when Obama got the nomination with the help of the liberal media turds I saw the handwriting on the wall. I knew the panics and shortages would happen. I stocked up way before he got in the Whitehouse and has proceeded to turn ours lives into sheeit. I work with a lot of different guys who buy a box of shells when they need them but not until then.Most of them know better than that now. Paying scalper prices for the things you need is just tuition in learning about what is coming down the road to us. Those lessons never come inexpensive but they should only need to be learned once. Most will learn from it and some never will. The scalper is an opportunist and an educator, if you are prepared you can avoid them. If not, you pay for an education you should have allready had in common sense. Magnum Man
Originally Posted by moosemike

I never understood the whole .22 LR hoarding thing. What are you going to do with 5,000 rounds of .22 LR if the SHTF anyway? Pass the time plinking cans during the collapse of western civilization? grin

Or maintain order in your sector of the Apocalypse? Pretty sure .22 holes been neatly and quietly making invisible souls for more than 150 years. wink

I never kept more than a few hundred rounds at a time; now the drought has set in, I've cut back on plinking and practice and add rounds to the larder when they are (rarely) in stock.

I salute any company that supports youth shooting sports! Do wish they'd increase workforce and production capacity. The supply ain't keeping pace wif demand...
I love the priorities and political incorrectness of this whole thing. ;-{>8

My loyalties have been well invested.
Originally Posted by moosemike

5000 rounds aint much.My one Grandson goes through a brick every time he comes up for the weekend and I have five more that like to shoot also.I have 20 bricks on hand and I doubt they last the Summer.
There ya go! If a Nation of Rifleman is denied the best training round ever, how long can the Republic survive?

My 3 kids could burn thru a 550 pack in less than an hour using a Single-Six, Crickett and 10/22 w one 10- round mag, when they were little.

Bless you for keeping those kids shooting! The next gen shooters spring from Dads & Grandpas.

I couldn't agree more with you.

Dale
They've been running 24/7 for years according to that release.

Where does it all go?
Time for some new production lines. Once hoarding and gouging is over, even the regular guys are gonna stock up.
I stopped into a small gun shop a few days back where a guy was trying to find some 22lr ammo to take his kid out. He couldn't find any ammo anywhere and was visible disgusted. I asked if he would be around a bit, went home and grabbed two bricks of WW power points that I haven't touched in a long time. Brought them to the gun shop and sold one brick to the shop owner for a cheap price and sold the other to the guy with the kid for $5. I told the guy with the kid to have fun and they both left with a smile. The shop owner was more than tickled to have 22's for a good price. Don't much care what the end price was I just couldn't see a dad wanting to take his kid out having to mortgage the house to do it. I have a few more bricks at home collecting dust to boot.
Boy Scouts and 4H are just a cover for DHS.

Figured I'd beat at least one nut job to the punch.

Well done, as usual. ;O)

Just saw Fed. 525 bulk packs for sale on another site @ $55, which is double what they sold for last summer, IIRC?

Good for Federal/CCI in trying to ease the situation for youth shooting programs. Our own 4H 22 program was cancelled for a shortage of ammo this spring. Will contact our club's 4H program directors to see if they know about the move Mule Deer listed.

Don't consider myself a hoarder, but I've always made sure there is plenty of 22 fodder around. When my son was young, he went through a brick of ammo in less than a week, while at hunting camp and multiple bricks per summer, regardless of where he was.

Kids should have all the 22 ammo they want, my opinion. In that spirit, have already given away some of my stash so a few kids can plink away. But since I have some kid in me yet, kept some for myself.
I have a slightly different view of the kids "burning" through the 22 ammo.

My early training was with a 22, as was most here. My dad made me slow down, use a single shot, and develop good shooting habits, like hit the target every time.

Banging away is a lot of fun. I like it myself sometimes, but what's wrong with shooting slowly and deliberately? wink

GOOD for Federal and CCI! And, good for the various youth shooting programs that teach marksmanship, responsibility, and proper/safe gun handling. laugh

BTW, I had to buy my own ammo, so I didn't waste any.
Originally Posted by luv2safari

My early training was with a 22, as was most here. My dad made me slow down, use a single shot, and develop good shooting habits, like hit the target every time.

Banging away is a lot of fun. I like it myself sometimes, but what's wrong with shooting slowly and deliberately? wink

GOOD for Federal and CCI! And, good for the various youth shooting programs that teach marksmanship, responsibility, and proper/safe gun handling. laugh

Ditto on all of the above.

I also learned to shoot while sparing the ammo when I was a kid, but had no problem letting my son have at it from time to time with a 1022, when he was older. He was 4 when I taught him to shoot with his grandpap's 1930s vintage single shot.

Any time we went to a gun show and he spotted a "banana clip" for the 1022, he bugged me to buy it. Never did get him one, told him he went through ammo quickly enough, loading/shooting the factory 10 rounders when at camp. ;O)

He went on to a bolt action 22 w/5 round mag by the time he was old enough to hunt and still has it.
My oldest (8) uses a single shot .22 with a peep and will still go through several hundred rounds in a single trip. Slowly, deliberately, repeatedly, and often...(done right) leads to good shooting. wink

...yes, you can get by on less...if you have to. eek
Anyone remember seeing loose 22 ammo sold by the piece? An older neighbor tells me the local shops used to sell .22's by the piece for the local tight fisted Pennsylvania Dutchmen who thought it extravagant to buy a whole box at a time!

P.S. Excellent job Federal!
John. The shortage can't be as simple as panic buying it just can't be!!! Do you know how many tin foilers this news will upset.

Thank you for the press release and good for ATK
Yeah, $.02/round used to be my benchmark for 22 shells. Guess I'll have to raise the bar. I've been doing what my Dad taught me: you know you're gonna' need kit sometime, and so you buy it whenever you see it with the right price. That's been year's for me, but my son is really starting to like shooting.

Cheers!

Joe
Will try to buy Fed. and CCI when i can to support them for their good deed. GOOD on em.
Good for Federal! Helping the future.

My kids are shooting pellet guns for now. But we'll mix in some 22LR along the way. I'm looking for a couple of good .22 caliber pellet rifles now. They don't seem to really know the difference........or at least they don't really care. Ages 10 and 12, BTW.

laugh laugh

I loved my pellet guns as a kid. I love them now. cool

They are an excellent cheap way to teach shooting, IMO. They're not as lethal as 22s, and are exceedingly accurate if one of the better ones.

Kudos, 257... wink
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Boy Scouts and 4H are just a cover for DHS.

Is that why they are getting helicopters and drones?? grin

I remember when I bought my daughter her first .22 at 10 years old. It was a single-shot, and she was quite happy with it......until....another kid that was her age showed up at the range with a 10/22.

Well, her and that little girl hit it off, and next thing I know, she's asking me if my daughter would be allowed to fire her rifle. "Sure", I say.

Later, my daughter says "Her rifle shoots 10 times without reloading"! I asked her if that made her want one and the answer was "Yes". So, I made a deal with her, that we would stop on the way home and get her one. Her concession would be that she would have to trade her present rifle in. (I wish I had kept it, if just for sentimental reasons). She agreed and we did.

Just as I thought we were going to leave the store, she says "You know, dad, all your rifles have scopes"......

She still has that rifle/scope and won't consider getting rid of it.
Originally Posted by ruger438
Anyone remember seeing loose 22 ammo sold by the piece? An older neighbor tells me the local shops used to sell .22's by the piece for the local tight fisted Pennsylvania Dutchmen who thought it extravagant to buy a whole box at a time!

I have seen some 50? round sandwich bags of Remington Goldens at a local gunshop/hardware store. He was trying to get $8/50, IIRC. I wouldn't have paid a quarter of that for Remington rimfire ammo, but then again, I have enough WW and CCI not to have to do that. I tend to buy it when I see it at a good price, and I pass it up when the price isn't so good.
Well this is all well and good. But you realize that it isn't costing Federal a stinking cent you're paying for one hundred plus percent due to their price gouging.
Originally Posted by ruger438

I know during the Depression they were sold by the piece. And guys around here generally bought the shorts I've been told as they were a penny or so cheaper.
I have a fairly extensive collection of old ammo, and some of the boxes are marked with a per-round price. And yes, they're mostly pre-WWII, though not all are.

had a single shot bolt action until i bought a 10-22 in high school....even with the manual cocking before each shot i got damn quick with that thing.....my "rich" buddies all had semiautos....i was not hampered in the least, i could make that thing sing if i had a fist full of loose shells laugh
My kids used single shot .22's, and shotguns. I felt that went a long way towards instilling discipline.
In Ontario, Canada you could buy single cartridges into the 1960s. You could buy Whiz Bangs and Canucks for .01/.02 each or 3 for .05 cents, depending on the store.
Good for them. They might also include at least state office level distributions to those states that demand live fire experience for their Hunter Ed programs. Attended a state wide conference last weekend, and recent classes are having a difficult time addressing needs.

On piece sales: As a kid 1950/60's local hardware stores were always willing to break ammo boxes. We might have only 35 cents of so and could score maybe 30 rds for the coming weekend. That practice did a lot to foster young shooters. I suspect some of today's mom and pop stores might still do that. A big box store? Not on your life.

Those were the days.
© 24hourcampfire