Home
Posted By: jwall PRVI bullet performance ?? - 07/01/13
Okay, If/since Prvi is making their own bullets, I would like to hear from USERS of ON GAME performance.

Klik has told me that their 'heavy' bullets were pretty good.

I have 139 BT SP 6.5 Swede and would LIKE to hear from USERS of PRVI ammo on game. Can be 6.5 or other cal/cartridge.

In my 6.5 I think the pedantic velocity is not a threat to their integrity. BUT I would like to have some idea from those who've SHOT GAME with PRVI bullets.
Posted By: blairvt Re: PRVI bullet performance ?? - 07/01/13
I would too
I took two deer with the Privi Partsian .308 ammo in 2011. Nothing dramatic, just ran about 40 yards and tipped over. Both were broadside shots between the ribs. Good blood trail.
I believe I have some of those 139s as well. I shot an antelope with my 6.5 a few years ago. It died in fine fashion. I used their 180gr loaded ammo in my 300 win mag to shoot a calf elk this past fall. 300 yds broke a rib on the way in drove through the liver at an angle and then broke a rib on the far side. Ended up just under the hide on the off side. Retained about 75% of it's original weight. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jwall Re: PRVI bullet performance ?? - 07/01/13
THANKS Guys -

Both reports sound favorable. I like the jacket and core to stay together.

Other reports are welcome and INVITED.

Keep em comin!
Killed two TN whitetails in 2011 with a 7x57 and the 140 gr loading. No muss/fuss. One bullet went lengthwise of a doe and I found a perfectly formed mushroom under the skin of the L ham.
I'll add that their 22cal 62 gr match bullets shoot just as well as sierras in my 223.
I suspect I will find out later this week how well their FMJ Garand load does against assaulting targets, such as cans, etc. Though I had about a thousand rounds already loaded, I grabbed a 500-round can of the Garand stuff.

It's the first factory stuff I've bought in years, but the cases will surely get recycled.
I took a big old blue muley doe with their 285gr 9,3X62 ammo several years ago and re-load the same bullets. They are as accurate as any I've ever used, and the one time I used them on game they worked fine. They are a good cup-n-core bullet, IMO.
I've killed two whitetails with the 139gr 6.5x55. Pass through on both and didn't recover the bullet on either but were both quick kills w short and easy to follow trails.
Where can bullets be ordered?
Posted By: krupp Re: PRVI bullet performance ?? - 07/02/13
Graf and sons.
Not on game, but a 174 from my 7mm RM completely lost the core when shot into a box of magazines from 100 yards. And it only started from the muzzle in the 2600's. Also, the 6.5x55 stuff I have is incredibly sooty and does 2300's from my m96's long barrel. It has all been pretty accurate, though...
On my recent African hunt, I rented a .300 WinMag, and the outfitter supplied me with PRVI factory loaded bullets. The projectiles were the GROM design - being mainly what appeared to be copper with a small lead core in the forward half of the bullet. They were 170 grainers loaded to about 2870 fps (not much more than you could get out of a 170 grain 30-06 load).

The gun had a suppressor, and the shots didn't recoil much (I usually hunt with an '06), and the report was much less than I was used to.

I shot 8 animals, and the bullets exited in all but one case.

Blue wildebeest: About 500 lb on the hoof. My first shot was back and low, but my coup de gras was a neck shot and the animal died quite quickly afterward.

Springbuck: This is a small antelope (like an Ontario small whitetail fawn - about 80 pounds). I shot a little far back, the bullet went through the ribs and it died very quickly.

Blesbuck: About the size of a small doe - about 125 lb, the bullet went through its shoulders, and it died within a few feet.

Gemsbok: This animal was about the size of a small calf moose - I'd guess about 350 - 400 lb on the hoof. The bullet entered ahead of the right shoulder and exited behind the left. The animal went about 75 yds and piled up.

Kudu: I'd guess it'd go 450 to 500 lbs on the hoof. The bullet went through the shoulders, but didn't break a leg. He travelled about 65 yds, and piled up.

Impala: I'd guess it weighed about like a small buck, I'd say 180 on the hoof. This bullet entered in front of the left shoulder, and was found fully expanded, without the front core, under the hide on the right hip. The remnant looked like something out of a bullet ad.

Black Wildebeest: This animal weighed in the 200 - 250 range. The bullet went through the front shoulders (at 200 yds) and piled up within a few feet.

Red Hartebeest: I'd guess its weight in the 300 lb range. The bullet went through the shoulders, and the animal piled up within 40 yds.

In all, I was very happy with the performance of the bullets. They exceeded my expectations for "hard" bullets.

If I knew how to post a link, I do it now for a more detailed account of my hunt on the Africa forum.
I used about 500 of them on pigs and goats and other animals in the 308 Win when I was not reloading for a few years. They were the 150g SP in the factory loads and chronoed 2700fps from a 24 inch barrel.

They performed very reliably, most times exiting and causing about 1 inch exit wounds. I found them at least hunting accurate.
I don't believe any of you. This is a "standard" cup and core bullet. The design was proven inadequate for hunting over 30 years ago. smile

According to everything I read, hunters could no longer trust Rem. CLs or Hornadys. That convinced me to invest in my own bullet making equipment. Now everything is good again. The ones I make in the workshop are superior "ultra" cup and core bullets. cool

Just listen to yourselves! They are cup and core junkers AND European made! Are you guys nutz?!?! crazy
Posted By: jwall Re: PRVI bullet performance ?? - 07/02/13
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Are you guys nutz?!?! crazy

They are MORE sane than 'some' I know. They have shot these bullets and have experience with them.

That's more sane than writing about them W/O experience.
Posted By: Yukoner Re: PRVI bullet performance ?? - 07/02/13
I don't believe any of you. This is a "standard" cup and core bullet. The design was proven inadequate for hunting over 30 years ago. smile

According to everything I read, hunters could no longer trust Rem. CLs or Hornadys. That convinced me to invest in my own bullet making equipment. Now everything is good again. The ones I make in the workshop are superior "ultra" cup and core bullets. cool

Just listen to yourselves! They are cup and core junkers AND European made! Are you guys nutz?!?! crazy

Steve, Steve, Steve.....they are not nutz. They are gunnutz!

Many don't recognize TIC, they often drive bullets far beyond design specifics, AND, a lot of them still expect to kill game even though the bullets are just 'zipping through' because they are not in the animal long enough to expand. This is not rocket science, however most gunnutz have trouble grasping high concepts, other than velocity.

There are a few of us who lob heavy bullets at around 2400 fps to kill game at ranges impossible for that velocity, but that is another discussion for another time.

As for the European aspect of your post, it is amazing that you even dare tread upon those toes, however I think you have probably convinced no small number of us here, and I, for one, am going to build a workshop, and start making my own bullets this weekend!

Ted
Originally Posted by Yukoner

Steve, Steve, Steve.....they are not nutz. They are gunnutz!

Many don't recognize TIC, they often drive bullets far beyond design specifics, AND, a lot of them still expect to kill game even though the bullets are just 'zipping through' because they are not in the animal long enough to expand. This is not rocket science, however most gunnutz have trouble grasping high concepts, other than velocity.

There are a few of us who lob heavy bullets at around 2400 fps to kill game at ranges impossible for that velocity, but that is another discussion for another time.

As for the European aspect of your post, it is amazing that you even dare tread upon those toes, however I think you have probably convinced no small number of us here, and I, for one, am going to build a workshop, and start making my own bullets this weekend!

Ted

Good for you!

With the invention of Partition and bonded bullets, many stopped using cup and core bullets. Real hunters disappeared from the land. Darkness descended upon the hunting grounds. Bob Allen and Browning hunting clothes emerged. John Moses would be ashamed.

crazy No one that calls himself a hunter, target shooter or gunnut would EVER use Euro products. Except quality firearms from Northern Europe maybe. They're unholy. eek There is one other exception - the Pope. He's from Under America. A place that grows fruit on hats and strange beef products.

I think that we see eye to eye on heavy and slow.

Whether it's casting or swaging, only a true loony makes his own. The rest are just posers and wannabes. Go ye to the workshop and multiply. Cast off the evil and hideous affliction of using substandard bullets. Stop paying for someone else's African safaris.

Get thee behind me Sierra!
Posted By: Skidrow Re: PRVI bullet performance ?? - 07/03/13
Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the frumious Bandersnatch!" - Jabberwocky, L. Carroll

"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to speak of many things. Of seas and ships and sealing wax and cabbages and Kings. And why the sea is boiling hot and whether pigs have wings."

Privi bullets perform as good as any other cup and core bullet. In most cases for most people that's good enough. OOMV but then they must know a lot more than I do. Most of the time that wouldn't be hard. At least in their world.
Posted By: blairvt Re: PRVI bullet performance ?? - 07/03/13
So, ya'll like them Prvi bullets?
Those Serbs, Bosnians, and such have been killing one another for over a thousand years. I guess they know a thing or two about making bullets.
Still laughing!! grin

You're so right. How in the world did we ever kill anything with cup-n-core bullets from non-magnum rifles wearing Weaver K-2.5 scopes without aid of trail cams, battle camo, spotting scopes, scent killers, GPS, and baited food plots?

Somehow we managed, but I don't know how... confused confused
I'm waiting for the appearance of the first targeting computer rifle scope, like the ones in the sci-fi movies.

Leopold V8TT (Tech Targeting) 4-200x56mm Scope

POWER: ON
ENTER TIME OF DAY: _:__ (24 hr clock)
ENTER GPS COORDINATES:
GPS LINK: On/Off
INERTIAL NAVIGATION: On/Off
FLIR (Fwd Looking Infrared):On/Off
TEMPERATURE AUTO DETECT: On/Off
BAROMETRIC PRESSURE AUTO DETECT: On/Off
CLINOMETER: On/Off
SELECT BULLET: List
DATA LINK TO BULLET: On/Off
AUTO SELECT MUZZLE VELOCITY: On/Off
TERRAIN: Flat, hilly, Mountainous, Swampy, Forested, more...
SELECT TARGET: Whitetail, Black Bear, Blacktail, Mule deer, more...

Later, when Joe and Bill return to their hunting camp, they select their meal from the automated galley and sit down with an ice cold beer in their Laz-Y-Boys.

"What a tough day! I must have traveled four or five miles on that darn ATV. Thank goodness I was wearing my Bob Alan Auto adjusting Air Cooler Camo suit with the auto inflating seat cushion! It was humid and bumpy on that dirt road! Can you imagine actually walking?"

"My finger is worn to a nub pressing all those buttons on the targeting scope. AND I had to haul out the ATV Recoilless Gun Mount and lock it to the front rack. Honestly, you'd think the dealer would have done that for me!"

"Thank goodness Knosler came out with their newest innovation just in time for the deer hunt. For $299.99 for 25, you can get guided bullets with Auto-Steer Acoustic and Data Linking Technology*."

"They say you spend a lot of money on a hunt, so you shouldn't cheap out on the bullets. It's Knosler Auto-Steers or nothing for me now! Years ago, they actually hunted with something called a cup and core bullet. I don't know whether to believe the old timers or not, but they told me companies put lead cores into copper jackets! That's gotta be BS. How would the bullet know what to hit?"

"Anyway, it's time for me to hit the sack. I'm exhausted. I'm looking forward to crawling into my Vibro-Matic water bed with CCC (computer climate control) selectable sleeping circuitry. It was a good investment. I almost didn't buy it. This is only a 32 ft trailer. I was worried things might be a little tight with two guys, but I got the Vibro-Matic anyway. Seriously though, there has to be an easier way!"

*Patent Pending
Posted By: jwall Re: PRVI bullet performance ?? - 07/05/13
And just what does THAT have to do with PRVI bullets??

huh?
Pretty good!
I've used the Wolf Gold, which is just Prvi in a different box, 7.5x55 Swiss 174 gr SP and it kills deer as cleanly as anything else.
Not the Swede, but have a Bud over in Arkansas that's been killing the crap outta deer and hogs with factory loaded PRVI 7mm mag ammo for several years now.

Cant remember him having ANY issues with bullet performance.

Gunner
Originally Posted by jwall
And just what does THAT have to do with PRVI bullets??

huh?

Can't you read? Previ bullets are obsolete. whistle whistle If they're obsolete they won't work.

I don't see how he could have made it any clearer. smirk

grin

I like them for medium velocity ammo.
It musta been covered up in all that BULL....!
Gunner 500 -

Thanx & Germane.

In the op I said it could be cals other than the Swede.
It musta been covered up in all that BULL....!

I sooo sowwy... blush blush blush

Now all kidding aside. I recently got some 139gr Previ 6.5mm bullets to shoot in a 6.5X57R drilling and 243 100gr bullets for an older Mdl 70FW 243. I have loaded some and got good accuracy with both.

The local coyotes aren't cooperating, or I would have a report on bullet performance. I might have a report after this weekend. I'm headed into a central NV area in a couple of days with scads of coyotes.

jwall,

Are you going to be doing any hand loading for the Swede? I gathered from your initial post you had some Previ factory ammo.

If you would like to try some bullets out I can send you 20 or so to load and experiment with.
L 2 S -

Yes I load for it, I have 129 HSP, 139-140 H, Prvi, & somebody's 160s. Probably won't use the 160s.

These 2 boxes of PRVI came in the rifle deal. Was not familiar w/Prvi ammo or bullets.

Also have 1 box of Win 140 SP factory, (Hornady bullets).

THNX for the offer. I appreciate it but I'd guess I'm good there.
Gunner 500 -

Thanx '& Germaine.

In the op I said it could be cals other than the Swede.

10-4 JWall, that tells me they must be at the very least a descent bullet to stand up to 7Mag speeds and still blow through 3/4 hundred pound hogs.

Gunner
Wow, so serious! We're mostly loonies here. I just registered, but have lurked for some years, so I know that is the case. Seems to me that we loonies must buy and try anyway, regardless of what others think.

I have never shot Prvi, but wanted to chime in just because. I've only shot cup/cores at big game, and only seen big game killed with c/c. Never bought into the hype of premiums, mostly because I wince at the prices they ask, but I do buy the hype of cup and cores.

Thus I predict with near certainty that Prvi bullets have killed, will keep killing cheaply and accurately.
i have not shot any critters with them but have shot many targets with their 7-08 Rem loads. very accurate out of my Savage Striker and my son's A-Bolt in that caliber but does run a tad on the dirty side. that being said i wouldn't hesitate to use them on game if and when the oppertunity arrises.
Posted By: Yukoner Re: PRVI bullet performance ?? - 07/08/13
...Yes I load for it, I have 129 HSP, 139-140 H, Prvi, & somebody's 160s. Probably won't use the 160s.

jwall, don't know about the PRVI, but there are a few guys up here who shoot 160s and 154s in their 6.5 rifles, and do very well with them on big game. If the concern is the bullet profile, and lower velocity, they easily give reliable 300 yd accuracy and performance on big game out of their 6.5X55 and 6.5X54 rifles.

Ted
Posted By: jwall Re: PRVI bullet performance ?? - 07/08/13
Yukoner -

Thnx, I might re consider. They seem to be limited in vel. due to limited powder capacity.
FYI, for those that haven't noticed. Monarch ammo from Academy is Privi, just boxed for Academy.

Oh, I've shot a truck load of Privi, seems like a good cup&core to me.

I've used 6.5x55, .223, .243, 7-08, .308 and .357 mag. Killed critters with all but the 6.5x55.

The 158gr. soft points in .357 mag from my 77/.357 Ruger turns 'dillars into mush in a shell ev'ry time.
Posted By: Yukoner Re: PRVI bullet performance ?? - 07/09/13
Yukoner -

Thnx, I might re consider. They seem to be limited in vel. due to limited powder capacity.

They still work. smile
Ted
Posted By: Yukoner Re: PRVI bullet performance ?? - 07/14/13
Yukoner -

Friend of mine was at the range today with his Oehler and his 6.5X55. A dozen 156gr Normas were going close to 2600 with IMR7828, and four different groups were all close to an inch.

Ted
Killed several deer using them in the 7-08. Performed well.. dead deer and no recovered boolits. Nothing spectacular... they just work.
I have used them on deer (red deer mostly) in .303, .243, .308 .30/06, .270, 7x57, 6.5x55, .30/30 off the top of my head. Mostly at close ranges, between 15 yards and 80 yards.

I find the bullets to separate the lead core from the jacket easily and have them down as 'brittle' in my mind; in the light bullets weights they will quite often break into peices. Although, to be fair, this may be something to do with the close ranges I hunt at. Much less likely to in the calibers with a high SD like the 6.5x55 and 7x57.
Quite underpowered ammo in general; eg, the 139 grain 6.5x55 was chrono'd at 2300fps by a friend(a few years ago now though) I remember I refused to chronograph the .270 ammo at one time because its all I could afford at the time and I didnt want to know.

However, 139 grain bullet in 7x57, with its big lead round nose -as slow as it is - kills like the wrath of an old testiment God.

I have it down in my head as cheap ammo, but I have never lost a deer with it, and they have always killed what I shot at, and I dont think I have had to shoot anything twice because the bullet 'didnt work' the first time.

The brass is excellent for reloading.
CarlsenHwy,

I chronied the 308 Win version of that Prvi ammo with the 150g bullet. It checked in at 2705fps ave which I didn't think was too bad, though on the mild side.

I also put a couple of the 30-06 150g versions over the chrony, from memory they were not going much faster; about 2780fps or something. I forgot to write it down.

I have heard the 8mm Mauser versions are very slow indeed but kill well!
Bob, the 8x57 will be slow, I remember I shot some at the range and it hardly kicked at all,and POI was very low and I think it will have been like the American Winchester 8mm, loaded like a .30/30...I never shot a deer with a 8x57 yet though.
...but, try the same thing in Sellier and Bellot ammo and a different story. Which is odd , because the Prvi/Highland stuff is Serbian and the Sellier and Bellot is Czech.

The Sellier and Bellot is a good cheap ammo, more accurate then Prvi Partisan on average and good velocities. ButI think the bullets are hard and don't expand much.
© 24hourcampfire