Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Okay, If/since Prvi is making their own bullets, I would like to hear from USERS of ON GAME performance.

Klik has told me that their 'heavy' bullets were pretty good.

I have 139 BT SP 6.5 Swede and would LIKE to hear from USERS of PRVI ammo on game. Can be 6.5 or other cal/cartridge.

In my 6.5 I think the pedantic velocity is not a threat to their integrity. BUT I would like to have some idea from those who've SHOT GAME with PRVI bullets.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I would too

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I took two deer with the Privi Partsian .308 ammo in 2011. Nothing dramatic, just ran about 40 yards and tipped over. Both were broadside shots between the ribs. Good blood trail.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I believe I have some of those 139s as well. I shot an antelope with my 6.5 a few years ago. It died in fine fashion. I used their 180gr loaded ammo in my 300 win mag to shoot a calf elk this past fall. 300 yds broke a rib on the way in drove through the liver at an angle and then broke a rib on the far side. Ended up just under the hide on the off side. Retained about 75% of it's original weight. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
THANKS Guys -

Both reports sound favorable. I like the jacket and core to stay together.

Other reports are welcome and INVITED.

Keep em comin!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Killed two TN whitetails in 2011 with a 7x57 and the 140 gr loading. No muss/fuss. One bullet went lengthwise of a doe and I found a perfectly formed mushroom under the skin of the L ham.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'll add that their 22cal 62 gr match bullets shoot just as well as sierras in my 223.

Stupidity is expensive
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I suspect I will find out later this week how well their FMJ Garand load does against assaulting targets, such as cans, etc. Though I had about a thousand rounds already loaded, I grabbed a 500-round can of the Garand stuff.

It's the first factory stuff I've bought in years, but the cases will surely get recycled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I took a big old blue muley doe with their 285gr 9,3X62 ammo several years ago and re-load the same bullets. They are as accurate as any I've ever used, and the one time I used them on game they worked fine. They are a good cup-n-core bullet, IMO.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've killed two whitetails with the 139gr 6.5x55. Pass through on both and didn't recover the bullet on either but were both quick kills w short and easy to follow trails.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Where can bullets be ordered?

Stupidity is expensive
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Graf and sons.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not on game, but a 174 from my 7mm RM completely lost the core when shot into a box of magazines from 100 yards. And it only started from the muzzle in the 2600's. Also, the 6.5x55 stuff I have is incredibly sooty and does 2300's from my m96's long barrel. It has all been pretty accurate, though...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
On my recent African hunt, I rented a .300 WinMag, and the outfitter supplied me with PRVI factory loaded bullets. The projectiles were the GROM design - being mainly what appeared to be copper with a small lead core in the forward half of the bullet. They were 170 grainers loaded to about 2870 fps (not much more than you could get out of a 170 grain 30-06 load).

The gun had a suppressor, and the shots didn't recoil much (I usually hunt with an '06), and the report was much less than I was used to.

I shot 8 animals, and the bullets exited in all but one case.

Blue wildebeest: About 500 lb on the hoof. My first shot was back and low, but my coup de gras was a neck shot and the animal died quite quickly afterward.

Springbuck: This is a small antelope (like an Ontario small whitetail fawn - about 80 pounds). I shot a little far back, the bullet went through the ribs and it died very quickly.

Blesbuck: About the size of a small doe - about 125 lb, the bullet went through its shoulders, and it died within a few feet.

Gemsbok: This animal was about the size of a small calf moose - I'd guess about 350 - 400 lb on the hoof. The bullet entered ahead of the right shoulder and exited behind the left. The animal went about 75 yds and piled up.

Kudu: I'd guess it'd go 450 to 500 lbs on the hoof. The bullet went through the shoulders, but didn't break a leg. He travelled about 65 yds, and piled up.

Impala: I'd guess it weighed about like a small buck, I'd say 180 on the hoof. This bullet entered in front of the left shoulder, and was found fully expanded, without the front core, under the hide on the right hip. The remnant looked like something out of a bullet ad.

Black Wildebeest: This animal weighed in the 200 - 250 range. The bullet went through the front shoulders (at 200 yds) and piled up within a few feet.

Red Hartebeest: I'd guess its weight in the 300 lb range. The bullet went through the shoulders, and the animal piled up within 40 yds.

In all, I was very happy with the performance of the bullets. They exceeded my expectations for "hard" bullets.

If I knew how to post a link, I do it now for a more detailed account of my hunt on the Africa forum.

Last edited by Rick Teal; 07/01/13.

Hunting is Exciting! Bolt actions are BORING!!!

Don't mix the two!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used about 500 of them on pigs and goats and other animals in the 308 Win when I was not reloading for a few years. They were the 150g SP in the factory loads and chronoed 2700fps from a 24 inch barrel.

They performed very reliably, most times exiting and causing about 1 inch exit wounds. I found them at least hunting accurate.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't believe any of you. This is a "standard" cup and core bullet. The design was proven inadequate for hunting over 30 years ago. smile

According to everything I read, hunters could no longer trust Rem. CLs or Hornadys. That convinced me to invest in my own bullet making equipment. Now everything is good again. The ones I make in the workshop are superior "ultra" cup and core bullets. cool

Just listen to yourselves! They are cup and core junkers AND European made! Are you guys nutz?!?! crazy

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Are you guys nutz?!?! crazy

They are MORE sane than 'some' I know. They have shot these bullets and have experience with them.

That's more sane than writing about them W/O experience.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't believe any of you. This is a "standard" cup and core bullet. The design was proven inadequate for hunting over 30 years ago. smile

According to everything I read, hunters could no longer trust Rem. CLs or Hornadys. That convinced me to invest in my own bullet making equipment. Now everything is good again. The ones I make in the workshop are superior "ultra" cup and core bullets. cool

Just listen to yourselves! They are cup and core junkers AND European made! Are you guys nutz?!?! crazy

Steve, Steve, Steve.....they are not nutz. They are gunnutz!

Many don't recognize TIC, they often drive bullets far beyond design specifics, AND, a lot of them still expect to kill game even though the bullets are just 'zipping through' because they are not in the animal long enough to expand. This is not rocket science, however most gunnutz have trouble grasping high concepts, other than velocity.

There are a few of us who lob heavy bullets at around 2400 fps to kill game at ranges impossible for that velocity, but that is another discussion for another time.

As for the European aspect of your post, it is amazing that you even dare tread upon those toes, however I think you have probably convinced no small number of us here, and I, for one, am going to build a workshop, and start making my own bullets this weekend!

Ted

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Yukoner

Steve, Steve, Steve.....they are not nutz. They are gunnutz!

Many don't recognize TIC, they often drive bullets far beyond design specifics, AND, a lot of them still expect to kill game even though the bullets are just 'zipping through' because they are not in the animal long enough to expand. This is not rocket science, however most gunnutz have trouble grasping high concepts, other than velocity.

There are a few of us who lob heavy bullets at around 2400 fps to kill game at ranges impossible for that velocity, but that is another discussion for another time.

As for the European aspect of your post, it is amazing that you even dare tread upon those toes, however I think you have probably convinced no small number of us here, and I, for one, am going to build a workshop, and start making my own bullets this weekend!

Ted

Good for you!

With the invention of Partition and bonded bullets, many stopped using cup and core bullets. Real hunters disappeared from the land. Darkness descended upon the hunting grounds. Bob Allen and Browning hunting clothes emerged. John Moses would be ashamed.

crazy No one that calls himself a hunter, target shooter or gunnut would EVER use Euro products. Except quality firearms from Northern Europe maybe. They're unholy. eek There is one other exception - the Pope. He's from Under America. A place that grows fruit on hats and strange beef products.

I think that we see eye to eye on heavy and slow.

Whether it's casting or swaging, only a true loony makes his own. The rest are just posers and wannabes. Go ye to the workshop and multiply. Cast off the evil and hideous affliction of using substandard bullets. Stop paying for someone else's African safaris.

Get thee behind me Sierra!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the frumious Bandersnatch!" - Jabberwocky, L. Carroll

"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to speak of many things. Of seas and ships and sealing wax and cabbages and Kings. And why the sea is boiling hot and whether pigs have wings."

Privi bullets perform as good as any other cup and core bullet. In most cases for most people that's good enough. OOMV but then they must know a lot more than I do. Most of the time that wouldn't be hard. At least in their world.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,797
Posts18,516,151
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.