Home
Posted By: C_ROY ADL, BDL SPS? - 09/03/05
What is the difference betwen the familiar ol' ADL & BDL and these new SPS?

Thanks.
Posted By: BMT Re: ADL, BDL SPS? - 09/03/05
Quality.

I have seen perfectly fine ADLs. The SPS I saw looked pretty dang rough.

Best low end rifle out there looks to be the Stevens in 30-06.

Just my 2 cents,

Its worth everything you paid for it . . . .

BMT
Posted By: WGM Re: ADL, BDL SPS? - 09/03/05
ADL has a blind mag (no hinged floor plate or detachable magazine) ... generally speaking, the metal on this model is finished to a lower quality than the BDL or CDL - it has more of that true, rough, matte finish

BDL has the hinged floor plate under the mag, and generally has a better finish on the metal ... usually a satin or highly polished blue, and the nice jeweled bolt

SPS is the Special Purpose Synthetic ... and practically speaking, it has taken the place of the ADL line

If you follow this link - Remington Model 700 Rifles - it will take you to Remington's centerfire rifle page, and you can see the way they describe the rifles ...
Posted By: hrnhuntr Re: ADL, BDL SPS? - 09/03/05
The SPS has a new tupperware stock with the floorplate like the BDL's and NO J lock.
Posted By: C_ROY Re: ADL, BDL SPS? - 09/05/05
It sounds like the SPS is a lower tier BDL or an ADL with a hingeed floor plate.

So, I am assuming a BDL barreled action would drop into a SPS stock and an ADL would not because it has a blind magazine.

I am correct?
Posted By: Teeder Re: ADL, BDL SPS? - 09/05/05
The ADL action will drop into a SPS stock, but would need to change the mag box to a BDL style. The ADL box is longer.

Oops, you would also need the bottom metal!
Posted By: WGM Re: ADL, BDL SPS? - 09/05/05
There is no difference between the action itself between an ADL, BDL, SPS, or whatever other models there are ... Long story short, it's either a long action or a short action. The differences come in when you go from a blind mag to a hinged floor plate.

If you have a barreled action w/ a blind mag, and you want to move to a hinged floor plate, you can keep your bbl'd action and trigger, but you will need a new mag box, and the trigger guard assembly w/ the hinged floor plate. I"m not certain about the spring and follower, but would think you'd need them too. Likewise, if you're going from a hinged floor plate to a blind mag, you'll need to replace the same parts, but in the opposite direction as described above. From what I understand, it's a fairly simple process.
Posted By: kakali Re: ADL, BDL SPS? - 09/05/05
I always wanted to know what the abbreviations ADL and BDL stand for. Does anyone know?

Kakali
Posted By: WGM Re: ADL, BDL SPS? - 09/05/05
IIRC, way back when, the ADL was the "A" Grade Deluxe ... and the BDL was the "B" Grade Deluxe ... where the "grade" was the grade of wood used. I do not know if they both came in blind mag and hinged floorplate. The CDL is the "Classic Deluxe" ...

I guess, over time, and with the advent of the synthetic factory stock, the ADL became the "lower grade" and the BDL became the "standard" wood/blue rifle ... or something like that.
Posted By: SU35 Re: ADL, BDL SPS? - 09/05/05
It's ADL, BDL, then CDL...a far better rifle than than the previous two. No plastic finish wood stock, matte finish, wood to metal finish is excellent.

Also, the SPS replaces the synthetic ADL with a better stock
and has a floorplate.
Posted By: BISYN Re: ADL, BDL SPS? - 09/06/05
There is no difference between the action itself between an ADL, BDL, SPS, or whatever other models there are ... Long story short, it's either a long action or a short action. The differences come in when you go from a blind mag to a hinged floor plate.

If you have a barreled action w/ a blind mag, and you want to move to a hinged floor plate, you can keep your bbl'd action and trigger, but you will need a new mag box, and the trigger guard assembly w/ the hinged floor plate. I"m not certain about the spring and follower, but would think you'd need them too. Likewise, if you're going from a hinged floor plate to a blind mag, you'll need to replace the same parts, but in the opposite direction as described above. From what I understand, it's a fairly simple process.

Brownells offers "Genuine Remington" ADL-to-BDL kits in their Catolog No. 57, with prices ranging from $122.51 to $135.55, depending on action length, finish, etc. The kits include triggerguard with hinged floorplate, magazine box, follower, and spring.
Posted By: Teeder Re: ADL, BDL SPS? - 09/06/05
You can also buy the parts directly from Remington here.
Remington Parts
© 24hourcampfire