Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#568722 09/03/05
C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What is the difference betwen the familiar ol' ADL & BDL and these new SPS?

Thanks.

PASS IT ON!
GB1

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Quality.

I have seen perfectly fine ADLs. The SPS I saw looked pretty dang rough.

Best low end rifle out there looks to be the Stevens in 30-06.

Just my 2 cents,

Its worth everything you paid for it . . . .

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ADL has a blind mag (no hinged floor plate or detachable magazine) ... generally speaking, the metal on this model is finished to a lower quality than the BDL or CDL - it has more of that true, rough, matte finish

BDL has the hinged floor plate under the mag, and generally has a better finish on the metal ... usually a satin or highly polished blue, and the nice jeweled bolt

SPS is the Special Purpose Synthetic ... and practically speaking, it has taken the place of the ADL line

If you follow this link - Remington Model 700 Rifles - it will take you to Remington's centerfire rifle page, and you can see the way they describe the rifles ...

-WGM-
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The SPS has a new tupperware stock with the floorplate like the BDL's and NO J lock.

C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It sounds like the SPS is a lower tier BDL or an ADL with a hingeed floor plate.

So, I am assuming a BDL barreled action would drop into a SPS stock and an ADL would not because it has a blind magazine.

I am correct?

PASS IT ON!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The ADL action will drop into a SPS stock, but would need to change the mag box to a BDL style. The ADL box is longer.

Oops, you would also need the bottom metal!

Last edited by Teeder; 09/05/05.
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is no difference between the action itself between an ADL, BDL, SPS, or whatever other models there are ... Long story short, it's either a long action or a short action. The differences come in when you go from a blind mag to a hinged floor plate.

If you have a barreled action w/ a blind mag, and you want to move to a hinged floor plate, you can keep your bbl'd action and trigger, but you will need a new mag box, and the trigger guard assembly w/ the hinged floor plate. I"m not certain about the spring and follower, but would think you'd need them too. Likewise, if you're going from a hinged floor plate to a blind mag, you'll need to replace the same parts, but in the opposite direction as described above. From what I understand, it's a fairly simple process.

-WGM-
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I always wanted to know what the abbreviations ADL and BDL stand for. Does anyone know?

Kakali

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IIRC, way back when, the ADL was the "A" Grade Deluxe ... and the BDL was the "B" Grade Deluxe ... where the "grade" was the grade of wood used. I do not know if they both came in blind mag and hinged floorplate. The CDL is the "Classic Deluxe" ...

I guess, over time, and with the advent of the synthetic factory stock, the ADL became the "lower grade" and the BDL became the "standard" wood/blue rifle ... or something like that.

-WGM-
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's ADL, BDL, then CDL...a far better rifle than than the previous two. No plastic finish wood stock, matte finish, wood to metal finish is excellent.

Also, the SPS replaces the synthetic ADL with a better stock
and has a floorplate.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
There is no difference between the action itself between an ADL, BDL, SPS, or whatever other models there are ... Long story short, it's either a long action or a short action. The differences come in when you go from a blind mag to a hinged floor plate.

If you have a barreled action w/ a blind mag, and you want to move to a hinged floor plate, you can keep your bbl'd action and trigger, but you will need a new mag box, and the trigger guard assembly w/ the hinged floor plate. I"m not certain about the spring and follower, but would think you'd need them too. Likewise, if you're going from a hinged floor plate to a blind mag, you'll need to replace the same parts, but in the opposite direction as described above. From what I understand, it's a fairly simple process.

Brownells offers "Genuine Remington" ADL-to-BDL kits in their Catolog No. 57, with prices ranging from $122.51 to $135.55, depending on action length, finish, etc. The kits include triggerguard with hinged floorplate, magazine box, follower, and spring.

To err is human, so we can only hope that the pencil will wear out before the eraser does.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can also buy the parts directly from Remington here.
Remington Parts

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 56 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,570
Posts18,473,278
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.