Home
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter A Scam??? - 02/13/15
Just now I got an email from Craig Boddington (?)... I have met him several times, but this email said he was stranded, and requested $1995 dollars to help him out.. I seriously doubt this is a real situation, but a scam.. I did not reply, nor check to see if I had his address, which I may.. I felt the best way to get to the bottom of this is get the info. to folks who know him or how to get intouch with him quickly.. Thanks..
Posted By: Jglenn Re: A Scam??? - 02/13/15
scam

had one last year about a somewhat distant friend

Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: A Scam??? - 02/13/15
You wouldn't leave a buddy stranded would you?
Posted By: DeereJohn Re: A Scam??? - 02/13/15
Musta been stranded in Nigeria ,along with the exiled princess.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: A Scam??? - 02/13/15
Did you really think they would try to extort ransom from you to liberate Rosie O? Those idiots aren't that stupid. smile
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: A Scam??? - 02/13/15
My wife's e-mail got hacked by the same kind of scammer a couple years ago. That e-mail said she was stranded in downtown London without a hotel reservation, her luggage stolen, etc. etc. and please send $3500. My sister got it and said that's not Eileen, she'd never end up in London without a reservation! But one of our friends was about to send the money when I sent out an e-mail telling everybody that the farthest Eileen had traveled in the past week was the 32 miles to the nearest Costco....
Posted By: deflave Re: A Scam??? - 02/13/15
Even if it were true, they'd be e-mailing the wrong friend.

Travis
Posted By: Paladin Re: A Scam??? - 02/13/15
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Just now I got an email from Craig Boddington (?)... I have met him several times, but this email said he was stranded, and requested $1995 dollars to help him out.. I seriously doubt this is a real situation, but a scam.. I did not reply, nor check to see if I had his address, which I may.. I felt the best way to get to the bottom of this is get the info. to folks who know him or how to get intouch with him quickly.. Thanks..

Hit the reply button and you will see that most likely it isn't Craig's email address you are replying to. If it is, his email has been hacked and he will figure it out pretty quick.

Most of these scams have a bogus email address to reply to since "everything I have has been stolen/lost/misplaced", or other fill in the blank excuse.

I got one of these once from a friend's "wife" (her email, anyway). Thing about that one was, she is one who could have been off in a faraway land, but I knew there were plenty of others she would most likely have contacted first, like the US Consulate/Embassy.

I'm sure Craig is just fine.

If you check out Craig's Facebook page he's already posted that it's a scam, and he's fixed the problem.
Posted By: 458Win Re: A Scam??? - 02/13/15
John, do you mean to tell me that Eileen never got the $3000 I sent her ? grin
Well, it went to a good cause....
Posted By: taz4570 Re: A Scam??? - 02/13/15
I'm Craig's best friend and need to help him out. All I need is $2,000.

Craig is a very classy guy and would never put or get himself into any such position. You can bet on that.
Posted By: smokepole Re: A Scam??? - 02/13/15

This is Craig speaking, please forward all funds to my friend smokepole.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: A Scam??? - 02/13/15
Gave Craig a call when I got back to my phone.. He caught it 2 hours after they made the post, but they wiped out is contact list.. He says they are getting sharper..
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: A Scam??? - 02/13/15
I meant to say he caught it immediately, but it had started 2 hours earlier..
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: A Scam??? - 02/14/15
A friend's parents are pretty old and apparently easily fooled. Someone called their house on the telephone pretending to be my friend's son - their grandson - saying he had been in an accident and had been arrested and needed bail. I didn't get the details of how they got the money transferred but the old folks sent several hundred dollars as instructed.

When they called my friend asking how the son was he figured it out and told them they had been scammed.

To add insult to injury, the scammers called again some weeks later with a variation on a theme - the grandson was stranded somewhere with a broken down vehicle and needed money. I think the old folks had figured it out by then.
Posted By: Quartermaster Re: A Scam??? - 02/14/15
There are way too many scammers out there. You almost can't believe anyone anymore unless you know them.

I cuss and curse at them along with the telemarketers, but the SOBs keep calling back
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: A Scam??? - 02/14/15
Ya, I seen Boddington posted on FB that he had been hacked.

I've taken to answering the phone of numbers I don't recognize with, "Federal Bureau of Investigation." Line usually goes dead after that. If they're dumb enough to engage in conversation, I usually lead them through conversations about terrorism, the Taliban, the CIA, Muslims, etc. if they're going to bother me, I feel an obligation to make it worth their while. smile
Posted By: taz4570 Re: A Scam??? - 02/14/15
Now that's the best technique I've heard. My new approach to the many calls.

It'll be especially funny with the MIL.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: A Scam??? - 02/15/15
Got it too. Last week sometime.
Posted By: denton Re: A Scam??? - 02/15/15
Someone called their house on the telephone pretending to be my friend's son - their grandson - saying he had been in an accident and had been arrested and needed bail. I didn't get the details of how they got the money transferred but the old folks sent several hundred dollars as instructed.

Common scam. Somebody nicked my parents for $2K that way.

More recently they tried it on me.

The first thing the ask is, do you know who this is? So I said no, and waited. He came back around again with the same question, finally leading up to him saying he was surprised I didn't know who was. I told him I was even more surprised the he didn't know who he was. And that he was nobody I knew, and that he was a thief trying to scam me. Click.

Posted By: bea175 Re: A Scam??? - 02/15/15

Michelle Obama is stranded and she only need fifty bucks to help her out , just send me the money and i will see that she gets it.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: A Scam??? - 02/15/15
I got an email this week from a friend in Oklahoma saying that he took a short vacation to Turkey and was in accident where the cab driver was killed and he had a separated shoulder and bruised head. His chit was stolen when he woke up blah blah blah.

A quick phone call revealed it as a scam. Someone hacked his computer. FFuckin losers..
Posted By: DaveCo Re: A Scam??? - 02/19/15
I will gladly pay you Tuesday, for a hamburger, today.
Posted By: RevMike Re: A Scam??? - 02/19/15

I had the same thing happen to me. Mine said that I was stranded in the Philippines. Everyone who got it knew it was a scam because 1) I ain't going to the Philippines; 2) See No. 1. grin
Posted By: 1minute Re: A Scam??? - 02/19/15
Don't sweat it, I just wired him a couple grand.
Posted By: RevMike Re: A Scam??? - 02/19/15
I think he's on his way to Pakistan. He might need it.
© 24hourcampfire