Home
Posted By: EZEARL Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 07/29/15
Anyone used Prvi's ammo loaded with this bullet on game?

http://www.prvipartizan.com/rifle_grom.php
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 07/29/15
No, but I bought 3 boxes of the .30/06 to try in my Sako FN. At $17 a box it's not much more than empty brass.

The bullet looks like an unbonded Trophy Bonded Bear Claw; small lead core in a solid base. Ought to work on shoulder shots.
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 07/29/15
I may try a box of 7mm Rem Mag and .30-06. I use Prvi ammo and brass with my 9.3x62 with no complaints.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 07/29/15
Looked around their site a little... Now I know where all the writers that did the Japanese camera and motorcycle manuals back in the sixties are working now
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 07/29/15
Ah,the 60's. I don't remember them so I reckon I was there.
Posted By: Blowtorch53 Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 08/26/15
I haven't used this GROM stuff but I've used the regular 9.3 x 62 PRVI on some pretty tough game and it works just fine. Just bought some 7MM Mauser 140's and they are more accurate than Remington CoreLokt and my handloads in my new (to me) Mark X. Should be fine for East Texas whitetails. It doesn't take much to kill one of them. In my experience, all this ammo. has been pretty good stuff. Leftover brass seems to be of good quality.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 08/26/15
7mm Mag with 158s going 2762 fps seems a tad anemic.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 08/26/15
Velocity ain't every thing. They look like TBB knockoffs. Ought to penetrate. Don't know how much they'll expand as there's not much lead there. One way to find out.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 02/09/16
Well, it does work.

[Linked Image]
Cool. What'd Porky weigh?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 02/09/16
I knew you'd come through eventually, Parson.

Posted By: RevMike Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 02/10/16
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Cool. What'd Porky weigh?

Not huge: 108 on the scale. A few weeks ago, this one fell to a Grom as well, same rifle. He was so long we couldn't get the head and part of the shoulder off the ground, and the scale was pegged at 300 pounds; so he weighed a little more.
[Linked Image]

Here is the exit wound from the little sow yesterday. The bullet entered the neck on the other side and angled out through the shoulder. The exit on the big fellow was the same: small hole going in, a little larger coming out.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Pappy348

This is actually the third pig I've taken with these loads. I just forgot about this thread. I guess I'm getting old...like Ingwe. grin
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 02/10/16
Originally Posted by RevMike

This is actually the third pig I've taken with these loads. I just forgot about this thread. I guess I'm getting old...like Ingwe. grin

Nonsense.

No one's old like Ingwe.😜
Posted By: Turk1961 Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 02/10/16
I bought some to try in 7x57 but have not shot anything with them yet. They were too cheap not to try. wink

They grouped ok in the two 7x57s I shot them in at the range.

Richard
Originally Posted by Turk1961
I bought some to try in 7x57 but have not shot anything with them yet. They were too cheap not to try. wink

They grouped ok in the two 7x57s I shot them in at the range.

Richard

That's what I'm shooting - 7x57. I'd like to recover one to see what they look like but all three pigs have been through and through.
Posted By: Turk1961 Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 02/11/16
You just need to find a bigger pig! grin laugh

Or line two or three small ones up. wink
Posted By: RevMike Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 02/11/16
Originally Posted by Turk1961
You just need to find a bigger pig! grin laugh

I'm trying, I really am! whistle
Posted By: 65X54 Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 02/11/16
Rev, was hoping you would report on a field test with these bullets. From here it looks like the pigs died but was curious about the wound channel. The exit doesn't look like they over expanded much....
Posted By: RevMike Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 02/11/16
Because all of these were late afternoon kills, I didn't have a lot of time (or the correct light) to open them up to see what the wound channels look like. My guess is that these perform much like a TSX or E-Tip, expanding only as far as the thin lead core. I'm not finished with them yet and hope to see what the wound channel looks like when time and light permit.

Have you given them a try?
Posted By: 65X54 Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 02/11/16
Nope, have not tried them yet. For the price and availability of them I did buy a few boxes.
I had a feeling that you would be posting on them one of these days though. Looks very encouraging. And, you are probably right on the similarities with the mono bullets.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 02/12/16
They seem to be pretty good rounds, and they're accurate in the one 7x57 I've used them in. I haven't shot them any any of the others. And you're right: you can't beat the price - at less than $16 per box, they're good practice loads (and a source of brass) if nothing else.

I just wonder if they aren't just a tad tough for pigs. As I said, they seem to act like TSX or E-Tips or one of the other monos, which generally means a small hole in and a bit larger hole out. The regular C&Cs, on the other hand, leave a bit more "carnage," as Ingwe puts it, behind. I think the only way to really tell is to open one up to see what the Grom does on the inside.

Give them a try when you get a chance. I'm curious to see what you think.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 04/08/16
Update.

A friend of mine asked for a small pig so he could do a "Hawaiian cookout" with the pig split on a grill. He was looking for something under 30 pounds or so. I went out this afternoon and took a little boar for him. Here are the results of a factory Grom at about 40 yards on a 25 pound pig. This looks more like a standard cup and core than the Grom design. Interesting, huh?

Sorry for the graphic photo, but that's what this bullet does with a shot to the noggin - exit side.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: EZEARL Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 04/08/16
A lot of bone structure there to destroy that could have caused that much exit damage. Don't think I would judge bullet integrity with that shot.
Posted By: 65X54 Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 04/08/16
That's nasty Rev! That location, the bone fragments probably did most of the carnage..
Posted By: RevMike Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 04/09/16
You're undoubtedly right about the bone fragments, as well as the compression of everything being pushed by the impact of the bullet.

Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 04/09/16
From your picture, I gotta think that tiny lead core is opening up pretty well. Guess I'm going to have to shoot a deer or two to see. I bought three boxes of that ammo for my Schpringfield-chambered Sako FN because it was cheap. From your results, looks like it might also be good. Might better buy me some more.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 04/09/16
Pappy, these things are accurate, cheap, and seem to work. I know most folks reload more for performance than economics, but these are cheap and work - the best of both worlds.

And I have 15 boxes of them. crazy
Posted By: 65X54 Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 04/09/16
Rev, Have not taken a count but I'm probably not far from what you picked up. However, you probably needed them more so than I did. It will take most of your ammo to burn the plastic from the barrel that the previous owner sullied the barrel with.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 04/09/16
Performance, economics, convenience, and consistency. Even before the crunch, finding two or more boxes of ammo with the same lot number was tough. Once I work up a load, I've got a bunch on hand and can duplicate it with no muss or fuss. $.80 per round for good stuff is tough to beat though and when it's gone you've got decent brass. With no '06 dies or brass on hand, the choice was easy.

Posted By: RevMike Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 04/11/16
Pappy,

If you buy a case from Target Sports USA, it's not only discounted by the shipping is free. But a case of Prvi is 25 boxes (500 rounds). You'll need to leave what's left to your grandchildren in your will.

RM
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 04/11/16
Don't think I need that much!

They're out of it at present. If the brass turns out okay, I might pick up a few more from Grafs. Last time I paid about $16 a box. I try to wait until I need a few items before I order to take advantage of the $7.95 shipping.

They list the 170gr '06 at 2430fps which is a bit slow. Need to check the Prvi site again.
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 04/11/16
Works out to 2657fps from a 24"bbl.

http://www.prvipartizan.com/search_rb.php?id=A-323
Posted By: RevMike Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 04/11/16
Pappy, in some previous posts Mule Deer mentioned that he likes the Prvi brass. You might want to send him a note about it.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 04/12/16
Yeah, I kinda-sorta worked that out myself a while back (arithmetic makes my head hurt) and thought the figure quoted by that dealer seemed a bit low.

Thanks.
I think you're right, Parson. I hate to bother him too much about stuff I'd be better off figgerin' out for myself. He's a busy guy, so I try to save him for the tough ones.

BTW, my neighbor was telling me about the trouble she was having getting her daughter to read anything other than teen romance stuff. She said that the girl did like reading about real stuff. I gave her my old paperback copy of Maneaters of Kumaon. Be interesting to see how that works out.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 04/12/16
BTW, my neighbor was telling me about the trouble she was having getting her daughter to read anything other than teen romance stuff. She said that the girl did like reading about real stuff. I gave her my old paperback copy of Maneaters of Kumaon. Be interesting to see how that works out.

grin
Posted By: Tejano Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 04/12/16
That bullet design is almost identical to the PO Ackley controlled expansion design except the lead core was elliptical shaped in his version. He made these in 17 and 22 cal. and probably some others.

The Grom is acting like it is bonded as well in the one photo.
But probably isn't.

RevMike that bullet was pretty tough on the little porker. He would need to wear a hat to attend the Luau.

Was there any romance in "Maneaters of Kumoan"?
Especially since he was the guest of honor!

I'm going to keep playing with the round and see how it does. What I need to do is try a heart-lung shot, but I hate risking losing a pig in the brush. Twenty yards off a right-of-way and they're lost in palmetto and myrtle thickets. Or a swamp, which can be worse. Generally, if they're not DRT they're gone for good.
Here's a picture of Early Ingwe with his first Ingwe Special, complete with specially trained tracking dog. I'm not sure, but he may have been using a Grom...or a Partition. Either way, it was long before he got into plastic tips. As a matter of fact, it looks to be long before there was even plastic to make tips.

I think the dog is laughing at his rabbit, though.

[Linked Image]
Are you sure that's Ingwe? When he was that age, I believe matchlocks were the the hot technology.

The dog appears to be in pain, possibly because Ingwe is standing on his foot....

.....lor stole his rabbit.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Prvi's GROM-Thunder - 04/13/16
Originally Posted by RevMike
Here's a picture of Early Ingwe with his first Ingwe Special, complete with specially trained tracking dog. I'm not sure, but he may have been using a Grom...or a Partition. Either way, it was long before he got into plastic tips. As a matter of fact, it looks to be long before there was even plastic to make tips.

I think the dog is laughing at his rabbit, though.

[Linked Image]

Is that a 7X57R double? laugh
© 24hourcampfire