-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope, have not tried them yet. For the price and availability of them I did buy a few boxes.
I had a feeling that you would be posting on them one of these days though. Looks very encouraging. And, you are probably right on the similarities with the mono bullets.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
They seem to be pretty good rounds, and they're accurate in the one 7x57 I've used them in. I haven't shot them any any of the others. And you're right: you can't beat the price - at less than $16 per box, they're good practice loads (and a source of brass) if nothing else.

I just wonder if they aren't just a tad tough for pigs. As I said, they seem to act like TSX or E-Tips or one of the other monos, which generally means a small hole in and a bit larger hole out. The regular C&Cs, on the other hand, leave a bit more "carnage," as Ingwe puts it, behind. I think the only way to really tell is to open one up to see what the Grom does on the inside.

Give them a try when you get a chance. I'm curious to see what you think.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Update.

A friend of mine asked for a small pig so he could do a "Hawaiian cookout" with the pig split on a grill. He was looking for something under 30 pounds or so. I went out this afternoon and took a little boar for him. Here are the results of a factory Grom at about 40 yards on a 25 pound pig. This looks more like a standard cup and core than the Grom design. Interesting, huh?

Sorry for the graphic photo, but that's what this bullet does with a shot to the noggin - exit side.

[Linked Image]

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
A lot of bone structure there to destroy that could have caused that much exit damage. Don't think I would judge bullet integrity with that shot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's nasty Rev! That location, the bone fragments probably did most of the carnage..

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You're undoubtedly right about the bone fragments, as well as the compression of everything being pushed by the impact of the bullet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From your picture, I gotta think that tiny lead core is opening up pretty well. Guess I'm going to have to shoot a deer or two to see. I bought three boxes of that ammo for my Schpringfield-chambered Sako FN because it was cheap. From your results, looks like it might also be good. Might better buy me some more.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Pappy, these things are accurate, cheap, and seem to work. I know most folks reload more for performance than economics, but these are cheap and work - the best of both worlds.

And I have 15 boxes of them. crazy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rev, Have not taken a count but I'm probably not far from what you picked up. However, you probably needed them more so than I did. It will take most of your ammo to burn the plastic from the barrel that the previous owner sullied the barrel with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Performance, economics, convenience, and consistency. Even before the crunch, finding two or more boxes of ammo with the same lot number was tough. Once I work up a load, I've got a bunch on hand and can duplicate it with no muss or fuss. $.80 per round for good stuff is tough to beat though and when it's gone you've got decent brass. With no '06 dies or brass on hand, the choice was easy.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Pappy,

If you buy a case from Target Sports USA, it's not only discounted by the shipping is free. But a case of Prvi is 25 boxes (500 rounds). You'll need to leave what's left to your grandchildren in your will.

RM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't think I need that much!

They're out of it at present. If the brass turns out okay, I might pick up a few more from Grafs. Last time I paid about $16 a box. I try to wait until I need a few items before I order to take advantage of the $7.95 shipping.

They list the 170gr '06 at 2430fps which is a bit slow. Need to check the Prvi site again.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Works out to 2657fps from a 24"bbl.

http://www.prvipartizan.com/search_rb.php?id=A-323

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Pappy, in some previous posts Mule Deer mentioned that he likes the Prvi brass. You might want to send him a note about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I kinda-sorta worked that out myself a while back (arithmetic makes my head hurt) and thought the figure quoted by that dealer seemed a bit low.

Thanks.

Last edited by Pappy348; 04/11/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think you're right, Parson. I hate to bother him too much about stuff I'd be better off figgerin' out for myself. He's a busy guy, so I try to save him for the tough ones.

BTW, my neighbor was telling me about the trouble she was having getting her daughter to read anything other than teen romance stuff. She said that the girl did like reading about real stuff. I gave her my old paperback copy of Maneaters of Kumaon. Be interesting to see how that works out.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
BTW, my neighbor was telling me about the trouble she was having getting her daughter to read anything other than teen romance stuff. She said that the girl did like reading about real stuff. I gave her my old paperback copy of Maneaters of Kumaon. Be interesting to see how that works out.

grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That bullet design is almost identical to the PO Ackley controlled expansion design except the lead core was elliptical shaped in his version. He made these in 17 and 22 cal. and probably some others.

The Grom is acting like it is bonded as well in the one photo.
But probably isn't.

RevMike that bullet was pretty tough on the little porker. He would need to wear a hat to attend the Luau.

Was there any romance in "Maneaters of Kumoan"?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Especially since he was the guest of honor!

I'm going to keep playing with the round and see how it does. What I need to do is try a heart-lung shot, but I hate risking losing a pig in the brush. Twenty yards off a right-of-way and they're lost in palmetto and myrtle thickets. Or a swamp, which can be worse. Generally, if they're not DRT they're gone for good.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Here's a picture of Early Ingwe with his first Ingwe Special, complete with specially trained tracking dog. I'm not sure, but he may have been using a Grom...or a Partition. Either way, it was long before he got into plastic tips. As a matter of fact, it looks to be long before there was even plastic to make tips.

I think the dog is laughing at his rabbit, though.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RevMike; 04/12/16.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (222Sako, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 22250rem, 43 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,917
Posts18,518,767
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.