Home
Hello

Yes there are those who would say no muzzle brake is good.

All noted,,,, but I'm looking for opinions on a good muzzle brake for the big bores. Looking for something removable so I can get a threaded cap on it to hunt with it off.

So for anyone with them on their big bores, who makes it and how does it work for you?

Thanks

Never used one but I've read a lot of good things about a Vais MB. You may want to consider Magna-porting too.

BTW, I used to own a 9 pound 2 ounce 375Rug and thought recoil was very manageable.

RH
Plan is for a 9 pound gun for sure, I do not have any friends with them so I can't really shoot one first. I'll get a price break for getting one installed when I send in the action for work VS paying out the 200 or so after the fact.

I shoot a 300 win mag well, I'd say 20-40 is about max per session. I also have a 45/70, pushing a 400 to 1600 or so, can handle that too. The 45/70 pushes me, the 300 smacks me.
Contact Ross @ [email protected]

He posts here and also has an ad in the classifieds. I believe in mz brks. I'm trying to get some correct data for him to build me one.
Originally Posted by trout248
Plan is for a 9 pound gun for sure, I do not have any friends with them so I can't really shoot one first. I'll get a price break for getting one installed when I send in the action for work VS paying out the 200 or so after the fact.

I shoot a 300 win mag well, I'd say 20-40 is about max per session. I also have a 45/70, pushing a 400 to 1600 or so, can handle that too. The 45/70 pushes me, the 300 smacks me.

Do you have muzzzle breaks on the .45/70 and the .300 Win Mag? Because if you don't need one on them, I can't imagine why you would need one on a .375 Ruger. I have one, with an FX II 4X scope, and I don't think it weighs 9 lbs all up. It is good to shoot, assuming you've developed some good experience at them in general. I'd sure want to try one first, before cutting holes in it.

Dennis
9lbs is a good weight for a 375. Recoil will be manageable.

Instead of spending on a brake, I suggest loading reduced rounds with lighter bullets, add a good pad to the rifle and use a PAST shoulder pad. You'll be surprised.

Also make sure that you shoot setting erect at the bench. That allows the upper body to recoil with the gun rather than absorb the recoil into the shoulder. My 9 lb. .375 Ruger clocks 2750 with a 300 gr. Sierra and I don't find it excessive however I sit very erect and have a Decelrator pad on it and wear a PAST magnum pad. From sticks, sitting, or other field position there are no issues either. Really no need for a brake.
Originally Posted by docbill
Also make sure that you shoot setting erect at the bench. That allows the upper body to recoil with the gun rather than absorb the recoil into the shoulder. ...I sit very erect and have a Decelrator pad on it and wear a PAST magnum pad. From sticks, sitting, or other field position there are no issues either.

That is exactly what I do too...

RH
My .375 Ruger weighs just 7-3/4 lbs with it new plastic bedded stock, and is mild to shoot for me. At 9 lbs, I would think it would be pretty mild. But I assume you have already heard that. You may try SSK industries for a break, as they do great work.
Step AWAY from the brakes, son! Really bad Juju.

375's are no big deal without a brake. Getting tinnitus, Going deaf and ringing the ears of your Guide, PH or trakcer, is.
Don't particularly care for muzzle brakes myself although if you want to have one, I can't fault you for that, especially with a 375 Ruger. I have a custom 375 Ruger with a 24" #5 contour 3 groove Pac-Nor built on a Winchester PF long action. For recoil I am relying on the weight which is substantial with the heavy contour barrel and a Knoxx stock
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The gun weighs 10.5 pounds and with the Knoxx stock it kicks about like my 300 win mag or a lightweight 30-06. Of course the one thing to worry about is the scope coming back and I have an IOR 6X42 which is supposed to have 4" eye relief. Even so, it is a close thing! whistle

On my other heavy hitter, a 338 RUM with a 26" #5 contour Brux, I had the gunsmith put a port on the muzzle
[Linked Image]

and 2 recoil compensators in the butt of the stock. It also kicks like a 30-06 and the muzzle ports are not loud.

Just some ideas; Knoxx stock, muzzle ports or recoil compensators

I would shoot the rifle a few times before deciding on a muzzle brake. Earlier this week I put about 30 full-power rounds, from the bench, through a .375 H&H. No problem at all. It's even less of a problem from offhand or shooting off sticks. Just hold the rifle tightly. To me, that's less of a hassle than the brakes.
Woods I really don't like muzzle brakes and most PH's in Africa hate them with a passion! However, if you wish to port the rifle, which takes away around 20 to 25 percent of the recoil, I would send the barreled action off to Mag Na Port. The cost is far less and the results are very nice too.

You will hardly even notice the ports on the rifle barrel but the muzzle jump will be far less and the recoil will be enough to let you shoot that weapon at the bench too. I sent my .375H&H off to Kelly at Mag Na Port over 25 years ago and it was well worth the money spent. I am also sending my .475 mag to him as well at the end of this week. They do exceptional work and the rifle was as accurate as ever, shooting 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards.
I have KDF muzzle brakes on my .375 RUM and my .300 Wby. They are the same diameter and finish as the barrel. I won't shoot either one without the brakes. Both rifles are also fitted with Limbsaver pads and mechanical recoil reducers in the stocks.

I rarely shoot ANYTHING without ear protection, and large capacity cartridges are LOUD with or without brakes.

I've hunted with my .375 RUM with 7 different African PH's, and none ever said a word against the muzzle brake. Several of them did comment favorably about the performance of the rifle and my ability to shoot it. If anyone is with me when I shoot, I ALWAYS tell them just before I shoot so they can cover their ears. I do that with any rifle that I shoot.

Mag Na Porting was developed to reduce muzzle jump, not to reduce felt recoil. Their own product data states that Magna Na Porting will reduce recoil up to 15%. They also sell a Magna Brake that they say will reduce recoil up to 40%.
I have a .375 Ruger Alaskan in a McMillan with a Swaro PH 1.25-4x24mm.... ER is just a tad over 3". All up it's just a hair under 9lbs.

I've yet to be whacked! Recoil is extremely manageable, thus IMHO and IME, a brake is not needed. You'll likely blow your eardrums out (anyone hunting with you for sure!).
My 375 Wby is built off a Pre/70, Schneider tube, Brown glass and it weighs 8 lbs 11 oz's with a 1-5 Leo on it and I've never seen a need/want or desire for a brake.

Dober
I think you'd be sorry if you put a brake on it. A 375 Ruger is a powerful round. Muzzle brakes need high pressure gas to be efficient. I wouldn't even consider a brake on any barrel until the muzzle velocity exceeds 3000 fps.

A muzzle brake on a 45-70 would be pretty useless. Some rounds smack the shoulder and others shove you around. I prefer those that shove. I have yet to shoot a 375 of any kind but I would suspect a 375 Ruger is one that shoves as opposed to smacks.

I will have one soon.
My Browning .375H&H w/Leupold M8 3x, weighs in at 9lbs I would not even consider putting a brake on it.
I love my 375 Ruger African because it's light, handy , and it doesn't NEED a damned brake! mine has a 2x7 Kahles on it. not sure what it weighs, but it's very handy!
I say again the Mag Na Port idea is simply the best for the money and you can't even tell if the barrel has been ported if your NOT looking for it, besides it does NOT take away from the classic looks of the rifle itself. It really helps with any muzzle jump.

There are many other things one can do to a rifle, such as a PAST RECOIL PAD worn by the shooter for under $45 dollars. Also you can go to a different pad on the butt of the stock. However, that will NOT eliminate muzzle Jump one iota!
Absolutely magnaport is the way to go!

Dober
Originally Posted by safariman
Step AWAY from the brakes, son! Really bad Juju.

375's are no big deal without a brake. Getting tinnitus, Going deaf and ringing the ears of your Guide, PH or trakcer, is.

Absolutely. I'm 67, have two herniated discs and a spinal cyst, and two bad shoulders and weigh 165. I have a 9 lb .375 H&H. Not a dime's worth of difference. A brake damages anyone's hearing within range. You should be getting around 37 ft/lbs of recoil energy, give or take. If you can shoot a .300 Win, you can shoot a .375. Offhand standing, I have run 40 rounds of max load 300 grain Hornadys through it at one range session more times than once.

Shoot it first.

Then, if you really must reduce recoil, install a mercury reducer. Brakes are bad news, unless you're shooting a .50 Barrett.
375 rum in stock form in the 700 XCR--one light gun! with max loads the recoil is impressive. On the order of about double my unbraked 300 rum shooting 200 ab's at max velocity. And it comes back fasssst! So...after shooting a hundred or so rounds from the bench and at first not thinkin it was too bad at all. Now it's a little bothersome...the fun wore off I guess. lol. I'm puttin a brake on it. And I had a scope on it that had 3.25 in of eye relief; it tagged me in the shooting glasses quite often. I'm putting a 4" ER scope on it to alleviate that issue. Can you shoot it well unbraked? yes but have to concentrate a bit more than usual. and just take the whack!
Originally Posted by buffybr

Mag Na Porting was developed to reduce muzzle jump, not to reduce felt recoil. Their own product data states that Magna Na Porting will reduce recoil up to 15%. They also sell a Magna Brake that they say will reduce recoil up to 40%.

+1

I Have been down this route, forget Magnaporting if you main objective is recoil reduction.

I must not be a macho man. I worked up loads for my friend's 375 with and without a muzzle break. I was shooting the 300g bullets. It was amazingly accurate with a 26" Douglas barrel.

I came to one conclusion: If I have to use a gun that kicks that much without a muzzle break, time for me to take up hunting something that requires a smaller caliber!

The 375 With the Vias muzzle break was completely comfortable to shoot, and even more important, I could accurately shoot it. I remember the 375 with the Vias muzzle break kicking like a 270 loaded with 150g bullets.

When shooting from the bench, it is almost impossible to sit straight up and shoot. Your front rest would have to be very high and you would have to place a car tire underneath the butt for support or just shoot off hand unsupported. No doubt that the 375 and larger calibers really give your neck and spinal column a real shock.

I always wear a set of Peltor Tac 6 ear muffs when hunting...it adds another dimension to the hunting experience being able to hear better than the human ears can detect.

Try using a Caldwell Lead Sled at the range for sighting in and load testing. Do the rest of you shooting standing up. You won't feel the recoil shooting at game. I've also heard muzzle brakes make a rifle dangerously load. Many outfitters won't let you use them.
I'm another fan of the Mag-na-port. It's useful reduction without the nasty side effects of brakes. For range sessions use a Lead Sled and / or a PAST recoil pad.

I have Mag-na-ported rifles in .300 Win Mag, .375 H&H and .500 A2. I have a braked rifle in a wildcat very similar to the .300 Weatherby. While the brake certainly works, it's a very difficult child to love.

What a wart on the nose of a beautiful rifle:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Compared to:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'll post the opposite viewpoint from most here. I advocate a brake on every centerfire rifle. I NEVER shoot without ear protection (or a suppressor) and think anyone who fires even one shot without ear pro is a dumb ass.

Brakes don't make guns louder, they just redirect a little of the noise in a different direction. Unless you're wearing ear pro, your hearing is being damaged every time you pull the trigger, even without a brake.

So, if we assume we're always going to be intelligent and have ear pro in place there is no reason to not have a brake. They make a good thing even better.

I see no problem with a muzzle brake and you can take them off and on at your leasure..Be sure to get a false muzzle thread protector so when off it just looks like an unbraked gun..Use the brake at the range and for practice and perhaps take it off when you hunt..The brake is a good way to conquer recoil mentally..At the end of each shooting session at the range, take it off and fire 5 to 10 rounds off hand, and in time you will be leaving it off all the time, and probably eventually cut it off.
© 24hourcampfire