Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Hello

Yes there are those who would say no muzzle brake is good.

All noted,,,, but I'm looking for opinions on a good muzzle brake for the big bores. Looking for something removable so I can get a threaded cap on it to hunt with it off.

So for anyone with them on their big bores, who makes it and how does it work for you?

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never used one but I've read a lot of good things about a Vais MB. You may want to consider Magna-porting too.

BTW, I used to own a 9 pound 2 ounce 375Rug and thought recoil was very manageable.

RH

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Plan is for a 9 pound gun for sure, I do not have any friends with them so I can't really shoot one first. I'll get a price break for getting one installed when I send in the action for work VS paying out the 200 or so after the fact.

I shoot a 300 win mag well, I'd say 20-40 is about max per session. I also have a 45/70, pushing a 400 to 1600 or so, can handle that too. The 45/70 pushes me, the 300 smacks me.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Contact Ross @ rem40xb1msn.com

He posts here and also has an ad in the classifieds. I believe in mz brks. I'm trying to get some correct data for him to build me one.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by trout248
Plan is for a 9 pound gun for sure, I do not have any friends with them so I can't really shoot one first. I'll get a price break for getting one installed when I send in the action for work VS paying out the 200 or so after the fact.

I shoot a 300 win mag well, I'd say 20-40 is about max per session. I also have a 45/70, pushing a 400 to 1600 or so, can handle that too. The 45/70 pushes me, the 300 smacks me.

Do you have muzzzle breaks on the .45/70 and the .300 Win Mag? Because if you don't need one on them, I can't imagine why you would need one on a .375 Ruger. I have one, with an FX II 4X scope, and I don't think it weighs 9 lbs all up. It is good to shoot, assuming you've developed some good experience at them in general. I'd sure want to try one first, before cutting holes in it.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
9lbs is a good weight for a 375. Recoil will be manageable.

Instead of spending on a brake, I suggest loading reduced rounds with lighter bullets, add a good pad to the rifle and use a PAST shoulder pad. You'll be surprised.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Also make sure that you shoot setting erect at the bench. That allows the upper body to recoil with the gun rather than absorb the recoil into the shoulder. My 9 lb. .375 Ruger clocks 2750 with a 300 gr. Sierra and I don't find it excessive however I sit very erect and have a Decelrator pad on it and wear a PAST magnum pad. From sticks, sitting, or other field position there are no issues either. Really no need for a brake.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by docbill
Also make sure that you shoot setting erect at the bench. That allows the upper body to recoil with the gun rather than absorb the recoil into the shoulder. ...I sit very erect and have a Decelrator pad on it and wear a PAST magnum pad. From sticks, sitting, or other field position there are no issues either.

That is exactly what I do too...

RH

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
My .375 Ruger weighs just 7-3/4 lbs with it new plastic bedded stock, and is mild to shoot for me. At 9 lbs, I would think it would be pretty mild. But I assume you have already heard that. You may try SSK industries for a break, as they do great work.

If you want to anger a conservative, 'Lie to him'; if you want to anger a liberal, 'Tell him the truth'!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Step AWAY from the brakes, son! Really bad Juju.

375's are no big deal without a brake. Getting tinnitus, Going deaf and ringing the ears of your Guide, PH or trakcer, is.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't particularly care for muzzle brakes myself although if you want to have one, I can't fault you for that, especially with a 375 Ruger. I have a custom 375 Ruger with a 24" #5 contour 3 groove Pac-Nor built on a Winchester PF long action. For recoil I am relying on the weight which is substantial with the heavy contour barrel and a Knoxx stock
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The gun weighs 10.5 pounds and with the Knoxx stock it kicks about like my 300 win mag or a lightweight 30-06. Of course the one thing to worry about is the scope coming back and I have an IOR 6X42 which is supposed to have 4" eye relief. Even so, it is a close thing! whistle

On my other heavy hitter, a 338 RUM with a 26" #5 contour Brux, I had the gunsmith put a port on the muzzle
[Linked Image]

and 2 recoil compensators in the butt of the stock. It also kicks like a 30-06 and the muzzle ports are not loud.

Just some ideas; Knoxx stock, muzzle ports or recoil compensators

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I would shoot the rifle a few times before deciding on a muzzle brake. Earlier this week I put about 30 full-power rounds, from the bench, through a .375 H&H. No problem at all. It's even less of a problem from offhand or shooting off sticks. Just hold the rifle tightly. To me, that's less of a hassle than the brakes.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Woods I really don't like muzzle brakes and most PH's in Africa hate them with a passion! However, if you wish to port the rifle, which takes away around 20 to 25 percent of the recoil, I would send the barreled action off to Mag Na Port. The cost is far less and the results are very nice too.

You will hardly even notice the ports on the rifle barrel but the muzzle jump will be far less and the recoil will be enough to let you shoot that weapon at the bench too. I sent my .375H&H off to Kelly at Mag Na Port over 25 years ago and it was well worth the money spent. I am also sending my .475 mag to him as well at the end of this week. They do exceptional work and the rifle was as accurate as ever, shooting 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have KDF muzzle brakes on my .375 RUM and my .300 Wby. They are the same diameter and finish as the barrel. I won't shoot either one without the brakes. Both rifles are also fitted with Limbsaver pads and mechanical recoil reducers in the stocks.

I rarely shoot ANYTHING without ear protection, and large capacity cartridges are LOUD with or without brakes.

I've hunted with my .375 RUM with 7 different African PH's, and none ever said a word against the muzzle brake. Several of them did comment favorably about the performance of the rifle and my ability to shoot it. If anyone is with me when I shoot, I ALWAYS tell them just before I shoot so they can cover their ears. I do that with any rifle that I shoot.

Mag Na Porting was developed to reduce muzzle jump, not to reduce felt recoil. Their own product data states that Magna Na Porting will reduce recoil up to 15%. They also sell a Magna Brake that they say will reduce recoil up to 40%.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a .375 Ruger Alaskan in a McMillan with a Swaro PH 1.25-4x24mm.... ER is just a tad over 3". All up it's just a hair under 9lbs.

I've yet to be whacked! Recoil is extremely manageable, thus IMHO and IME, a brake is not needed. You'll likely blow your eardrums out (anyone hunting with you for sure!).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 375 Wby is built off a Pre/70, Schneider tube, Brown glass and it weighs 8 lbs 11 oz's with a 1-5 Leo on it and I've never seen a need/want or desire for a brake.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I think you'd be sorry if you put a brake on it. A 375 Ruger is a powerful round. Muzzle brakes need high pressure gas to be efficient. I wouldn't even consider a brake on any barrel until the muzzle velocity exceeds 3000 fps.

A muzzle brake on a 45-70 would be pretty useless. Some rounds smack the shoulder and others shove you around. I prefer those that shove. I have yet to shoot a 375 of any kind but I would suspect a 375 Ruger is one that shoves as opposed to smacks.

I will have one soon.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Browning .375H&H w/Leupold M8 3x, weighs in at 9lbs I would not even consider putting a brake on it.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I love my 375 Ruger African because it's light, handy , and it doesn't NEED a damned brake! mine has a 2x7 Kahles on it. not sure what it weighs, but it's very handy!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I say again the Mag Na Port idea is simply the best for the money and you can't even tell if the barrel has been ported if your NOT looking for it, besides it does NOT take away from the classic looks of the rifle itself. It really helps with any muzzle jump.

There are many other things one can do to a rifle, such as a PAST RECOIL PAD worn by the shooter for under $45 dollars. Also you can go to a different pad on the butt of the stock. However, that will NOT eliminate muzzle Jump one iota!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 406_SBC, 2ndwind, 6MMWASP, 16 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 807 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,806
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.