Home
For a 9.3x62 which rifle a Ruger African or CZ American.
I would make the following modifications to the American
NEGC sights, barrel band, 3 position safety, ebony forend tip.
The Ruger would probably be left as stock besides bedding the action properly. Is this needed with the African?
What say you?
I like the feel of a slicked up CZ while a Ruger to me always retains a sort of gritty feel.

I vote CZ.
I'd like the CZ as modified like you describe, but you will be pretty near double the cost (maybe more ???) of a Ruger African.
Only you can decide that.

I bought a CZ full stock in 9.3X62 at the same time my son got a Ruger 375 African. His weighs more. Mine came with a 3 position safety and I've added a NECG peep sight and front sight. His Ruger has very usable iron sights. (My old eyes function better with a peep sight than open sights.) NECG products and service are excellent!

Because mine is a FS with the Bavarian stock contour the two rifles are not directly comparable and his is a 375 Ruger, not a 9.3X62 (his is also left-handed). Because his barrel is longer the rifle feels more muzzle heavy to me but it is not objectionable, a 9.3X62 African should balance about the same. His rifle has a front barrel band.

Felt recoil in both rifles seems about the same to me (he burns more powder in his 375 but the rifle is heavier). The Ruger stock is very straight and the recoil comes straight back. The FS CZ has the humpback stock that tends to bring up the muzzle under recoil. I don't mind shooting either one -- but you know when they have gone off!

The Ruger African in 9.3X62 was not available when I bought mine but if it had been it would have been a difficult choice. My wood (under the muddy CZ finish) has much more figure than the plain Ruger wood.

He has shot his over 50 times and the stock is still fine (no cracks). We did not bed his as the factory said that taking it out of the stock would void the warranty. I bedded mine when I refinished the stock and changed the recoil pad. My CZ came with a soft thick pad but the length of pull was over 14", longer than I like and I'm over 6 feet tall. The Ruger LOP is about 13.6" with a thin hard pad.

I just cycled both actions, they feel different but both have gotten smoother as we have used then. The CZ was quite gritty when it came but I've spent considerable time cycling it. The Ruger came smoother but it hasn't been used as much as my CZ.

I like both rifles and would be happy with either. Both shoot better than we can hold them. But you need to see which one feels the best to you.

While I am biased towards the CZ (I have a 550 Lux in 9.3 from the the late 90's), it comes down to which one do you like?

I have a tough choice at times because right next to the CZ sit's my Ruger M77RS in 35 Whelen.....

Best of luck in your decision.
We did not bed his as the factory said that taking it out of the stock would void the warranty.

Are you serious?? If you take a Ruger barrelled action out of the stock they won't honor the warranty?? That's reason enough to go CZ. Who told you that if I may ask. Thanks.
I have a CZ 550 in 9.3X62. Nicely figured wood, great fit an finish. Very nice trigger in set mode or regular. Safety works fine. No need to bed the rifle, shoots at MOA with handloads. Bought mine a couple of years ago before they got pricey. The action was a bit stiff when new but has loosened with use, it is now smooth. Never handled a Ruger African, but the 77's I have have not had the trigger a CZ has, nor have they been as accurate out of the box.
Based on my experience with the Ruger 375 African, I would go with the Ruger. A good idea to check the bedding. When mine was a 375, I had it bedded and had no problems. It's a very handy rifle, very lively to the shoulder, and for me, a great fit for quick shooting.

As the 9.3x62 recoil is certainly no greater than the 375 Ruger, the wood stock should be fine, if well bedded from the factory or glass bedded subsequently, if not.
Get a little valve grinding paste, put it on the bolt and lugs and cycle the bolt for an hour or so while watching TV. That will slick up the action measurably. If you want to bed it you can but mine never was. I fell on the rifle and broke the stock otherwise it was fine. When I looked at he broken parts there was no problem except me. Bed it if you want to but don't feel like it's absolutely needed in a 9.3.
I've never had any trouble with CZ stocks in less than huge magnum calibers.
It much depends on your own personal wants. I spent a bunch of time looking for a factory 9.3x62 to best fit my wants out of the box. I was looking at importing a Mauser, the new CZ Kevlar Carbine, the new Ruger African, and the new Sako Black Bear. All of them are or could be great sporting rifles, but I chose the Sako. The Ruger was too heavy for my tastes in that chambering, whereas the CZ Kevlar Carbine was better for me at 7-pounds. I look at the CZ as a project in a box based on my past 550s, therefore I went the Sako route. Based on my wants, the Sako is the best choice with the CZ being a good choice on the cheap.

For someone else's wants, I could see where the box stock Ruger could be a perfect choice. As for the newer Ruger, I've owned two later RSMs, two Africans, and a RCM; none of those five were gritty, and all were smooth out the box. Not slick like a worked over custom, but very smooth.

Best smile
drducati- what did you use and how was it applied to ensure all the grinding compound has been removed from the bolt and the bolt's raceways? Have seen this method discussed several times and the compound's complete removal has is alway's been the sticking point. Any compound left over continues to grind on the bolt's steel and that can't be good. Thinking a pressure flush setup would work but with what fluid (kerosene?)...like to hear how you did it. Regards, Homesteader.
Homesteader,
I flushed it out with soap and water and a small brush. The paste I used is water soluble and came out easily. I've done it for years on many guns and never had a problem. I've thought about it but never had one.
When I was in Africa last year my PH said "I've looked at lot of CZ's and never saw one with an action this smooth". I told him it was an hour's work with fine valve grinding compound.
I worked over the races and the lugs. Flushed it well and that was 1997.
drducati - Thanks very much for your input on this. Next time I'm in the local auto parts store I'll look for the compound. Regards, Homesteader.
SLDUCK;

Why limit your choices to the Ruger or CZ?

Is it because you want a wood handle?

Mine's a Tikka T3 Lite that weighs in at 6.8 lbs with the 2-7 X 35mm Burris Fullfield II. It shoots 286gr handloads at 2420 fps and sub MOA. And, I've never owned a rifle with a smoother action.

In other words, there are other options out there.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca
CZ550 - for some reason rifles like the 9.3 x 62mm Tikka are not imported into the USA (that I'm aware of...I want one). This certainly reduces the choices we have and bringing one into U.S. commerce (i.e. documentation, Customs duties etc.)from a Canadian dealer involves more then individuals are willing to put up with. I can't understand why I can buy a Tikka in 6.5 Swede, but not in 7mm/9.3 Mauser, in the U.S. Is it potential sales figures that determine what can or can not be imported? Regards, Homesteader.
No exp. W/CZ, but have heard of feeding issue's, there is a Man in business to correct these factory defaults, i have run a bunch of Ruger bolts and never had a problem w/ any of them, and sad to admit some of them are more accurate than a couple custom rifle's that cost many times more cabbage.
I just love Ruger's, lot's of fail safe bang for Your buck, as well as great customer service should a problem arise.

Gunner
gunner500 - agree with you on Ruger's 'bang for the buck' factor as I have several - one dating back into the early 70's. Just wish they would not ship out rifles that feel like they loaded sand into the action...latest 9.3 African is really rough. Another poster (drducati) uses water soluble valve grinding paste to smooth up the Ruger's action. Think I'll give that a try. Homesteader.
Zastava also make a 9.3x62.

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/cms/index.php?id=231

You can always re-barrel a .30-06, .25-06 or .270 and then you can choose the quality of the barrel.
10 on that homesteader, my new hawkeye in 358W was rough as a bear fight when i first got it, but thru load dev. of the 200 TSX, and later w/ the 200 TTSX she's slick as a whistle and darn accurate.

Gunner
Originally Posted by Tophet1
Zastava also make a 9.3x62.

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/cms/index.php?id=231

You can always re-barrel a .30-06, .25-06 or .270 and then you can choose the quality of the barrel.

Can't find them here in the USA... frown
You should try here:

http://www.ussginc.com/index.html
Cz for sure. Forged action. Super accurate. Options like full stock, kevlar, and a set trigger.

The triggers are very adjustable and safe. I dropped my cz550stutzen 8x57 locked and loaded out of a 12-14ft tree stand straight to the ground without a hickup. I might have had a heart attack, but the rifle was fine.

the wood stocks have a small amount of palm swell, something i really like on a rifle. 3pos push forwar safety is easy to find int he dark. You can thumb the back of the bolt to double check whether or not it is cocked.

I got my wife a CZ550 luxus in 30.06 and she shoots 3 leaf clovers with it all day with the cheap ammo. .5moa.

rugers have the cast action, impersonal stock, and no soul. lol.
I have been following the thread for some time now to try and learn something new about rifles. The paste certainly is a new thought and understandable and thanks for the info.

My question is: is there really such a big difference between 2 manufacturers that it would make a noticeable difference for the person using/handling it?

Or is it mainly noticed by experts in rifles?

Thanks

Pieter
Originally Posted by PieterKriel
I have been following the thread for some time now to try and learn something new about rifles. The paste certainly is a new thought and understandable and thanks for the info.

My question is: is there really such a big difference between 2 manufacturers that it would make a noticeable difference for the person using/handling it?

Or is it mainly noticed by experts in rifles?

Thanks

Pieter
...Imo, won`t change a hunting outcome. The only differences are perks and preferences.
IMO, the differences between the two is going to be in the safety (wing vs. rocker) and the finish of the rifle, ie, if your 9.3 HAS to be a SS, that is going to rule out the CZ (not that Ruger offers a SS 9.3 yet, BUT they do offer a SS .30-06 donor rifle that can be had for about 600 USD).
Thanks bigsqueeze and UncleJake. I feel like an idiot not knowing all these differences between the different manufacturers rifles.

The one thing that really kicks me in a soft place is the low cost of your rifles and ammunition.
Don't go too nuts with lapping compound on the lugs........
jagd - "no soul"...that may be the result of that really rough action. Sort of like constipation in humans...won't feel better until it smooths out. LOL. Homesteader.
the CZ has two pure Mauser 98 features which the Ruger doesn't, the 'C-ring' breeching, and the extractor with the under-cut which prevents the extractor hook from jumping out and letting go of a stuck case.

The Ruger has probably the simplest and most robust trigger and safety system around, though to my fingers, the safety wing is a little small.

The CZ has what is probably the most complicated trigger system on a commercial bolt action, though they seem to be reliable and some people (not me) really like the single set feature.

I also like the all steel sights and front band on the Ruger, rather than the alloy rear and ramp on the medium CZs.

Having said all that, as bigsqueeze said, none of the differences will likely affect the outcome of a hunt.
Another thing to consider, is that the scope rings are included along with Ruger`s built-in to the receiver mounting system. So no scope bases nor scope rings to buy.

When it comes to durability and strength, there isn`t one scope mounting system out there that surpasses the Ruger design in those two depts.

In certain areas, the CZs are more refined. The Rugers however, are more of a plain, no-nonsense, and brutally durable rifle.
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Another thing to consider, is that the scope rings are included along with Ruger`s built-in to the receiver mounting system. So no scope bases nor scope rings to buy.

Not sure if its changed of late, but when i bought my CZ550 it came with rings as well...Certainly in the UK, if they weren't the right size or height, CZ would also swap them...

Having bothe CZ and Ruger rifles, I think I prefer the Ruger integral bases, but in fairness, I have had no problems with the CZ system either...
CZs come with rings? Hmmm, didn`t know that! Wonder if that holds true here in the states.
I purchased a CZ550 FS about 4yrs ago and it did not come with rings. I just now purchased a Ruger African, also in 9.3X62 and it came with rings one notch too high for my taste....this is remedied with one lower ring and moving the front ring to back.
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
CZs come with rings? Hmmm, didn`t know that! Wonder if that holds true here in the states.

The CZ 550's in the UK also came with a three year warranty too, which I though was damn good...

I had a minor issue with mine in that the bolt would slightly bind periodically when being cycled...

The dealer said keep it a few more weeks and if it doesn't free up, then bring it back...

Thats exactly what I did, and they exchanged it, no questions asked although there was a few weeks delay while they imported another of the same caliber...

I'd free floated the barrel on the original as well, but they didn't use that as an excuse not to honour the warranty..
My 9.3x62 is a CZ purchased new in 2002. It's among my favorite rifles, and I've hunted quite a bit with it in North America and Africa. It's super-accurate with about any load, including factory, and in a lot of hunting I've never had the slightest problem with the trigger or safety, one reason they've never been changed out. Three years ago I even had it restocked in fancy European walnut, just because I like it so much.

That said, I have some experience with the recent Hawkeye rifles from Ruger, and wouldn't hesitate to buy one in 9.3x62 if I didn't already have the CZ. I prefer the safety on the CZ to the Hawkeye's, but not enough to get worked up about it. Other than probably having to fix the trigger pull (easy on a Hawkeye) I'd probably leave it alone as well.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
My 9.3x62 is a CZ purchased new in 2002. It's among my favorite rifles, and I've hunted quite a bit with it in North America and Africa. It's super-accurate with about any load, including factory, and in a lot of hunting I've never had the slightest problem with the trigger or safety, one reason they've never been changed out. Three years ago I even had it restocked in fancy European walnut, just because I like it so much.

That said, I have some experience with the recent Hawkeye rifles from Ruger, and wouldn't hesitate to buy one in 9.3x62 if I didn't already have the CZ. I prefer the safety on the CZ to the Hawkeye's, but not enough to get worked up about it. Other than probably having to fix the trigger pull (easy on a Hawkeye) I'd probably leave it alone as well.

Wonder if you might provide a reference to adjustment information, please.
thanks,
Couple of things that I did and in no way is this an endorsement for others. Do it at your own risk.

Clipped the trigger spring in very small increments (1/4 of a turn at a time), reassembled, paying attention to the spring tension/trigger/trigger pin "relationship" and settled on 3lbs or slightly more, can't remember at the moment.

Then I addressed creep by first polishing the sear MAKING SURE that it was done correctly = square. Checked creep repeatedly and the last bit was removed by shortening the length of the sear with a very fine file. Again, square.

It took awhile but it worked very well. Brownells, Wolff http://www.gunsprings.com/ and ernie the gunsmith sell reduced power springs.

Ruger IMHO:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My CZ 550 came with factory rings, which fit the factory integrated dovetail base on the receiver. Other than they are steel and are heavy no issues with scope mounting.
Good Luck finding a Ruger 9.3x62!
Thats a nice rifle Karnis, my 9.3 is still in Colo. the smith is takin a file to the quarter rib so maybe it wont be much longer.

Gunner
I was wondering if you had that back yet. Hope it's soon.
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd

They won't import the metrics. I called them last year. frown frown
Ok men....what about this? Opinions on the Mannlicher stock? I won't shoot enough rounds to really worry about it heating up...tell me your thoughts, Pro and con! CZ 550 with 20.5 inch barrel!

[Linked Image]
I love my 550Stutzen(aka mannlicher, aka FS) The short barrel handles well. I've killed game from 7meters to 175m. I ended up replacing the sling loops with swivel studs.

Here is a write up with pics i did on it when i put it together and took it to the range and pics of it's first kill on pg2.

CZ550 Stutzen review. A Czech on Czeck Affair.
Pro's-

If your the kind of guy who never likes to touch the barrel or action of the rifle while handling it, you always have stock to grab.

better show of stock craftsmanship

showing up to the range with something different than everyone elses.

Cons-

your buddies try to sneak it off in their rifle case.
I have the CZ 550 FS and American in 9.3x62....both shoot sub-MOA, out of the box, with factory Normas of any bullet weight...

I also have the Ruger African and Alaskan in .375 Ruger-both bought as soon as they were released. They shoot 1.5 MOA with Hornady 270 SPs.

Ruger sent me a new Hogue stock for the Alaskan as they said some early rifles had experienced stock breakage (mine had not after about fifty rounds through it).

I have no plans to buy another 9.3 but would go the CZ route if contemplating a new one. Nothing "wrong" with the Rugers and if a synthetic factory rifle is desired, Ruger is the way to go, IMO....the CZ FS is a bit unwieldy to shoot with its Bavarian cheekpiece stock design but the 9.3's recoil is tame enough to not cause issues for me.

I think a person should handle any factory rifle before buying, especially if no stock modifications are planned, to select the one which feels best.
I don't have a Ruger African but I have the CZ FS and LUX. I like them both. Different strokes--. I don't find the FS unwieldy at all. It is easy to shoot in the bush and it carries well. Based on my experience with other Ruger rifles (#1's mostly) you won't go wrong there either. It's a matter of taste.
drducati - having a nostalgic bent for the FS style stock I like them (mine is the 6.5 Swede) BUT having been spotted next to a short barrel .35 Whelan I'm not sure I'd want one in 9.3. That's one reason I went with the Ruger African (23 in.) and will purchase the CZ American (24in.) in 9.3 shortly. I like the CZ550 9.3 carbine for the sights but only if the barrel was a tad longer. Regards, Homesteader.
I was looking at the Voere Model 98 action rifle also
What do you guys think of this option?
Originally Posted by Homesteader
drducati - having a nostalgic bent for the FS style stock I like them (mine is the 6.5 Swede) BUT having been spotted next to a short barrel .35 Whelan I'm not sure I'd want one in 9.3. That's one reason I went with the Ruger African (23 in.) and will purchase the CZ American (24in.) in 9.3 shortly. I like the CZ550 9.3 carbine for the sights but only if the barrel was a tad longer. Regards, Homesteader.

Homesteader//// Are you saying the carbine sized barrel is too much blast or it is not accurate enough? I am confused.
fatjack34 - the muzzle blast out of a 9.3FS or carbine barrel is my concern not CZ accuracy. My standard for comparison is a M600 Rem/.308 Win/ 18in barrel purchased as a "keep in the Jeep" rifle.
Handy, accurate but loud & blasty. Shoot mostly 22/24in. rifles these days. Regards, Homesteader.
Homesteader...Thanks! I understand completely.
I have a shot at either...cannot find the Ruger African ANYWHERE save for one guy, I would have to pay a slight premium, but nothing crippling.....the CZ is available at BUD's for $782 shipped. I love carbines, but angle of stock and talk of scope sitting high have me concerned. I have never shot a rifle with the angled Euro stock...but damn, it is pretty. WhaT the freak! What is a guy to do>??????
I much prefer shooting the hogback stocks. They just seem to fit me better, and they are Classic for an old Classic 9.3. wink
I've had no issues shooting full house "+P Barsness" handloads out of a carbine length 20.5" barrel CZ550 FS 9.3x62. If you have a personal preference for a longer sporter barrel, then so be it, but the carbine barrel is worthy in my book for such chambering in a compact/trim rifle. There must be a bazillion of these FS rifles floating around by now so that you should be able to find someone nearby for a test run.

Another good variation of that same CZ550 FS is the Carbine Kevlar below. Had I not been able to get the Sako carbine import, I probably would have gone the Carbine Kevlar route. I planned to shorten the Ruger barrel had I gone that direction.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/550CarbineKevlar/

Best smile
Originally Posted by Homesteader
fatjack34 - the muzzle blast out of a 9.3FS or carbine barrel is my concern not CZ accuracy. My standard for comparison is a M600 Rem/.308 Win/ 18in barrel purchased as a "keep in the Jeep" rifle.
Handy, accurate but loud & blasty. Shoot mostly 22/24in. rifles these days. Regards, Homesteader.
..............During the same range session, I fired my friend`s 23" barreled 375 Ruger African along side my own 20" barreled 375 Ruger Alaskan (same reloads). There was little to no noise/blast differential between them.

With that stated, there shouldn`t be any real differences in noise/blast between a 20.5" tubed 9.3x62 CZ vs one with a longer sporter barrel of 23" or 24 inches.

The shorter `06 CZ shown in the link above looks like a winner, and the same can easily be done for the 9.3......

I have found that the heavier bullets come on stronger in longer barrels in the 9.3X62. The 320 Woodlieghs were especially happy in barrels from 24" to 26".
BigSqueeze - you will have to speak up and talk louder... I can't hear you - LOL. Have to agree with you about the CZFS look...just love them. Now, If Ruger updated their M77 International FS that would also be appreciated. BTW - thanks for the comparison between the .375 African and Alaskan. Who knows...may just have to re-think this again (and again etc.) Carbine vs FS. Many choices, so little money... Homesteader.
Just wanted to add a couple of tips. First go easy w/ valve grinding compound. The high tensile steels in actions are not always very hard, this means you can remove more than you want to easily. Also the compound can "imbed" in the steel and keep working after you think its gone. The lugs can be done this way with a lot of scrubbing after the process is complete. This is easier to do if you can pull the barrel. I find body polishing compound works very well and is far less aggressive. Easy to clean out too. The more aggressive scratch removing grit is probably the best. And as far as mods on trigger springs, Ive found its better in some cases to use a small pinpoint hobby torch to overheat a small portion of the end coil and collapse it. This allows the end of the spring to sit flat , instead of cocking slightly on the cut end.
Rogn - thanks for going into further detail...the imbedded issues was what I was concerned with. Homesteader.
I just bought a CZ 550 American with a Kevlar stock and it's the most perfect rifle I have ever owned. I also have many Ruger M77 that work just fine. The CZ is a little rough but if I could only own one the CZ would be it. First goup was 3/4 inch at 100 yards. Workmanship is flawless and it came with rings. The trigger pull is excellent out of the box.
PatrickJames - I have the same exact CZ on order w/ETA mid-September. Hope my experience matches yours. Going to mount a 3X9 Leupold with German #4 to complement my Ruger "African". Homesteader.
Originally Posted by fatjack34
Good Luck finding a Ruger 9.3x62!

No kidding. I have an FFL and just checked 4 sources; Jerrys, RSR, Sports South and Buds and no one has one.

Here is my suggestion.

Obtain a Pre 64 M70 action (1950ish), a 24", #3 Pacnor barrel, a D'Arcy Echols Legend stock and send it all to Redneck, here on the 24HCF. Let him chamber it and do the metal work and initial inletting. Then have Lee (Redneck) send it off to Charley Santoni of http://riflestockpainting.com/paint.html and let him finish the inletting, bed it, paint the stock and coat the metal with Midnight Purple Cerakote (looks more like a blue than a matte Cerakote). Send Charley some bases/rings and a scope of your choosing so he can Cerakote the rings/bases and put it all together.

The final product.

[Linked Image]

For bigger and better detail, click below.

http://riflestockpainting.com/images/AG9362.jpg

[Linked Image]

Then, if you want to reach out, have Leupold (VX3 1.75-6) add their CDS elevation turret (500', 5500' and 10,500') and you're covered for world wide hunting out to about 500-600 yds when using the 250 Accubond running 2600 fps with 60 gr of Varget. grin

[Linked Image]

Alan
GSSP...I must say, that is a helluva rifle set up! I just am not a fan of PLASTIQUE! I am a wood guy.
GSSP...I must say, that is a helluva rifle set up! I just am not a fan of PLASTIQUE! I am a wood guy.

Me too! grin
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tried posting this earlier but my Photobucket was froze. Cooper 57M 22LR Custom Classic with upgraded French walnut.

[Linked Image]

The 9.3x62 was purpose built for the Alaskan bush thus I felt it needed to be as carefree as possible.

Alan
Originally Posted by GSSP

Me too! grin
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The 9.3x62 was purpose built for the Alaskan bush thus I felt it needed to be as carefree as possible.

Alan

Now that is what I am talking about!
One thing that is often overlooked with the 9.3X62 is how easy it is to get one by simply rebarreling about any 30-06.
I want to make one for myself in the coming year, and I will build the whole rifle from a GEW length M98 Mauser. But I also have 3 friends that want 9.3s and all have said they will just have me swap out their existing barrels on their 2 30-06s and one 270. Fast, easy and fairly inexpensive to do.

I am now "poking" Green Mountain Barrel Co. They told me that if they got a call for 100 of them they would tool up and make them.
So it's probably worth your time to make a phone call to them and tell them you are interested if you want one.
I did rebarrel a sako long action to 9.3x62.

Out of the two you mention I'd pick the ruger, I had a CZ... a tad too heavy, and cumbersome.
I think I'd try the CZ. But I'd handle both first. The Ruger 416 Safari stock fits me well, but the 77 7mm RM did not. After saying that I don't have a scope in the Safari. The 77, I do. I think the Rugers stock looks great but is designed for open sights. I restocked the 77 and all is well now. The 77 with the new stock allows my eyes to line up perfectly. Before the comb would be away from my face if I were looking thru the scope. I would rather shoot my 416 Rigby Ruger with open sights than my 77 with a scope, that is until I restocked the 77. That Ruger stock was brutal to me when using the scope.

Secondly, I believe the CZ has more surface on the extractor, that is more contact on the head of the brass.

Thirdly, the CZ would be easier to glass bed, I think.

Finally, I'm not a fan of the red pad. I prefer a little cushion. But arthritis and bersitus are two problems for me. Maybe you'll never have these issues.

Originally Posted by szihn
One thing that is often overlooked with the 9.3X62 is how easy it is to get one by simply rebarreling about any 30-06.
I want to make one for myself in the coming year, and I will build the whole rifle from a GEW length M98 Mauser. But I also have 3 friends that want 9.3s and all have said they will just have me swap out their existing barrels on their 2 30-06s and one 270. Fast, easy and fairly inexpensive to do.

I am now "poking" Green Mountain Barrel Co. They told me that if they got a call for 100 of them they would tool up and make them.
So it's probably worth your time to make a phone call to them and tell them you are interested if you want one.

Or just send your '06 to JES Reboring, provided your existing barrel is sufficient O.D., 225 bucks and two weeks and you'll be shooting your new 9.3x62.
By far the easiest solution of all, and you not only end up with an excellent cut-rifled bore but a barrel that still fits the forend.
Sure enough MD, especially if the barrel already has a really nice set of sights and barrel band sling swivel. wink
I mirrored the length of the CZ on my build - 23 inches, or 23.5.

She cloverleafs with Barnes TTSX.

I held a reworked CZ by that cat out West, IIRC, American Hunting Rifles, good God that thing was sweet!

It would have left with me were it for sale, and I already have a Custom Heym Mauser in 9.3x62.
Originally Posted by szihn

Off topic, but the easiest way to end up with a 9.3x62mm when a 30-06 is involved is by sending it to JES. They will re-bore your 30-06 to 9.3x62mm lickity fu ckin split. The cost is a hellofalot less than re-barreling too. However, you are a newbie and pretty late to this game. Or so it seems... wink. Since this is an old thread, I've probably already voted, but if I haven't I'll vote CZ for accuracy, and Ruger m77 for simplicity. I prefer the safety and trigger on the Ruger over the CZ, but the CZ is going to kick the Rugers azz when it comes to consistent accuracy. My last CZ550 was a 9.3x62mm and I sent it packing because around here, the mighty 30-06 loaded with 200gr. partitions will do anything the 9.3 will do... wink
Ah - an old post coming back to life! I bought a CZ 550 Lux 9.3x62 around 12 years ago, and then a Ruger African 9.3x62 when they came out. I like them both and they both shoot great. I do tend to hunt with the CZ more, I suppose because it's about 1/2 lb lighter (at least that's the only reason I can think of). The Ruger seems more comfortable to shoot off the bench, likely due to stock shape.
Originally Posted by gunner500
I held a reworked CZ by that cat out West, IIRC, American Hunting Rifles, good God that thing was sweet!

It would have left with me were it for sale, and I already have a Custom Heym Mauser in 9.3x62.

I've been tempted by their makeovers - they are sweet!
...and some of the Rugers had nice lumber (main reason I bought the Ruger when I already had the CZ).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Nice looking Ruger there Mr. Gray.
Jgray: That sure is a nice Ruger. How much does it weigh? I'm surprised it weighs more than your CZ. My CZ550 American was a tank. The things I didn't really like about it, was the weight and the balance wasn't quite right. I also don't like the safety lever. Nevertheless, it was a real shooter...

[Linked Image]

I could carry (what is now Gunners 375H&H) my 375H&H all day long more easily because it was balanced better and felt better in the hands. Even though it was over a pound heavier:
[Linked Image]

Sometimes (for me) weight of the rifle is not the deciding factor..... wink

Gunner, here's an AHR 9.3x62 I traded for a few years ago, really accuate and well done. It has AHR's trigger, but I think a Timney is better. It was a tad heavy, I ultimately traded it. But, for looks, hard to beat. It was almost too pretty to hunt. I kept my .375 H&H NH M-70 SS Classic, 21" and fluted with NECG irons. Not as pretty but shoots about as well. Not a problem scraching that one... laugh

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Go full-on classic , get a CZ . Better yet a true 1930 drawing 98 Mauser !
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Jgray: That sure is a nice Ruger. How much does it weigh? I'm surprised it weighs more than your CZ. My CZ550 American was a tank. The things I didn't really like about it, was the weight and the balance wasn't quite right. I also don't like the safety lever. Nevertheless, it was a real shooter...

It's been a few years, but as I recall the Ruger (bare rifle) is real close to 8 lbs and the CZ around 7.5 lbs. Every 550 American I've handled felt like a 'tank' to me also. I don't get that feeling with the Lux models - the hump back stock feels trimmer and handles better for me.

Thanks! I've been thinking an ebony forend tip would finish it off nicely (and just may do that some day...)
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Gunner, here's an AHR 9.3x62 I traded for a few years ago, really accuate and well done. It has AHR's trigger, but I think a Timney is better. It was a tad heavy, I ultimately traded it. But, for looks, hard to beat. It was almost too pretty to hunt. I kept my .375 H&H NH M-70 SS Classic, 21" and fluted with NECG irons. Not as pretty but shoots about as well. Not a problem scraching that one... laugh

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Good lord DF, glad you never sent me a pic of that one, I'd have been trying to mail ya a check. grin

Only thing I would have done is lose hood and fiber for a brass bead then stoke her with 320 Woodleighs and warm that barrel.
Originally Posted by JGray

Thanks! I've been thinking an ebony forend tip would finish it off nicely (and just may do that some day...)

Last check NECG's and Brownells had some very nice Ebony blanks, I'd look hard for a chunk of Ironwood too, it's really beautiful too if you wanted a little contrast.
Originally Posted by JGray

It's been a few years, but as I recall the Ruger (bare rifle) is real close to 8 lbs and the CZ around 7.5 lbs. Every 550 American I've handled felt like a 'tank' to me also. I don't get that feeling with the Lux models - the hump back stock feels trimmer and handles better for me.

If you look back in this thread to my post in 2011, I had hands on examples of both the Ruger and CZ Kevlar Carbine. The Kevlar Carbine ran about 7-pounds, with the Ruger running about a pound heavier. After looking at a Mauser, Ruger, and CZ, I ended up importing a Sako carbine.

Straight out the box, the CZ Kevlar Carbine was a very nice workable package. Not sure they make them anymore.
CZ Kelvar is very interesting. Have never handled one, would like to.

DF
Had my effort to import the Sako failed, I would have chose the CZ Kevlar Carbine. If I had not been looking for something out the box, I would have done a semi-custom on a M70 30-06 I had on hand, trying to keep cost down. Or, if $$Money were burning a hole in my pocket, then a custom build on a Mauser.

Regardless route, a carbine platform in 9.3x62 is worthy the effort to obtain.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Good lord DF, glad you never sent me a pic of that one, I'd have been trying to mail ya a check. grin

Only thing I would have done is lose hood and fiber for a brass bead then stoke her with 320 Woodleighs and warm that barrel.

Gunner, to me it was a tad heavy. But, IIRC, lighter than your Heym... grin

My SS M-70 .375 H&H Classic, bobbed and fluted, is lighter. It's handier and the .375 is more versatile, can cover more possibilities, although the 9.3 is a great round, more efficient and about a match in effectiveness.

DF
Heres my 1912 Emil Kerner 9.3 X 62, nice old mauser, with claw mounts and original scope. I guess i dont feel like i need any newer ones.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice old classic!
Sure enough MD, especially if the barrel already has a really nice set of sights and barrel band sling swivel. wink

Precisely why I had Cliff LaBounty rebore mine near 20 years ago. That and the makers name "CD Gunshop ~ Wiesbaden" is nicely engraved on the barrel. It went to Africa in 2002.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by EdM

Precisely why I had Cliff LaBounty rebore mine near 20 years ago. That and the makers name "CD Gunshop ~ Wiesbaden" is nicely engraved on the barrel. It went to Africa in 2002.

[Linked Image]

That's a beautiful rifle..
Love mine based on al FN commercial action. #4 shilen barrel sitting in a McMillan stock.
Originally Posted by sidepass
Love mine based on al FN comercial action. #4 shilen barrel.

That's the route I'd take. I've seen some commercial mausers with factory irons for $300.00-$400.00 around here. Would make damn nice re-bore candidates...
I do the same as I was planning on a 458WM..

CZ 550
Machine in Talley bases ( lowers the mounting height and lets you use "standard" Talley mounts and a Talley Peep )
Straighten bolt handle
Timney Trigger
Wiebe Bottom Metal, for 6-7 rounds
3-pos safety
Add barrel banded sights
McMillan Stock

And, have everything polished up..
I do love my Heym DF, it's a very accurate rifle, and yes, it's no 375, but, as you say, 320 gr Woodleighs at 2400 ain't too terribly far behind.
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]

Damn right Ed, I wouldn't unscrew that barrel either, glad you were able to keep using it.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/610538427

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It just so happens that I know the guy that owns this rifle now. wink

It is a piece of art.

donsm70
So you're the lucky one, eh? grin
Love the old #1's but a magazine rifle makes sense. Like this

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/610259591
If those BB were closer to $1k, I'd be really tempted...

I've got a semi custom 700 I just couldn't grow to love which I'll probably ship and I got a good deal a couple years ago on a new No.1 which I love.

My buddy got a great deal on an NOS CZ550 and fond a McMillan on their specials page. Sent it off to AHR for their #3 package (IIRC). What a fantastic rifle! Those guys do absolute top notch work.

After I trip some other stuff I'll be building a twin to my Ruger Alaskan in 9.3x62.
A Ruger is never a bad choice, a quick trigger job, usually nets a good shooting rifle. Barrels now mfg in-house and good quality. Tank tough actions.....
I know this will seem to be blasphemy to you true safari rifle guys but I had a Ruger RL ultra light '06 re- bored and chambered to 9.3x62. It shoots 325 gr Norma ORYX to 1 " at 100, it is a dream to carry all day and the last bull elk I killed didn't say a word about being killed by a $600 rifle he just fell over. Every pound I carry is important to me as is the caliber and reliability of the rifle. The Safari rifles you folks talk about are beautiful but for the most part have barrels way too long and are just too heavy, for me. I carry my rifle all day and shoot it once. Just my opinion and preference, nothing more or less.
Good Hunting
Lj
That's an 18.5" bbl? What kind of velocities? Not that it matters at all but just curious.
Earl The RL Rugers are 20" barrels, and I shoot my 325s at 2300. They can be pushed faster. I've used that bullet in a single shot at 2500 in a 9.3x74r ,same result on the elk.
Good Hunting
Littlejohn
That's moving right along. Not much less than 23.5"bbl velocities.
Mauser M-12 Extreme
I like the 20" barrel on my 550FS 9.3X62. Medium and large bores seem to be less sensitive to length than 8MM or less bores. My rifle's velocities seem only slightly lower than other's 24" barreled rifles.
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
For a 9.3x62 which rifle a Ruger African or CZ American.
I would make the following modifications to the American
NEGC sights, barrel band, 3 position safety, ebony forend tip.
The Ruger would probably be left as stock besides bedding the action properly. Is this needed with the African?
What say you?

I owned one of the CZ550 Americans. A bit on the heavy side, but amazingly accurate with the 286gr Nosler Partition/RL15. Wish I had kept that rifle! laugh
CZ made a 9.3 550 carbine with kevlar stock. That should be light enough (ideal) if you can find one at any of the distributors.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-550-carbine-30-06-5-rd-fixed-mag-adj-composite/

The 9.3 was a big deal for a few recent years (I mean in usa), now I dont see any on the shelves. The Ruger was changed to a muzzle brake and I dont like those new guns. The CZ is mannlicher only and I prefer a floating barrel. Except as an old double trigger nostalgia gun, which I do like.

I like the 9.3 better than any of the old or current 35 caliber American rounds. Nice middle ground performer between the 30's and 375HH or larger. That is all nosalgia aside, it is a good solid round with factory loaded heavy bullets.
Originally Posted by fourbore
CZ made a 9.3 550 carbine with kevlar stock. That should be light enough (ideal) if you can find one at any of the distributors.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-550-carbine-30-06-5-rd-fixed-mag-adj-composite/

The 9.3 was a big deal for a few recent years (I mean in usa), now I dont see any on the shelves. The Ruger was changed to a muzzle brake and I dont like those new guns. The CZ is mannlicher only and I prefer a floating barrel. Except as an old double trigger nostalgia gun, which I do like.

I like the 9.3 better than any of the old or current 35 caliber American rounds. Nice middle ground performer between the 30's and 375HH or larger. That is all nosalgia aside, it is a good solid round with factory loaded heavy bullets.

I like that one.

The Sako Black Bear is more expensive, but looks like a good one.

http://www.eurooptic.com/sako-black-bear-93x62-jrsb554.aspx

DF
My CZ 550FS does have a full floating barrel.
Originally Posted by husqvarna
My CZ 550FS does have a full floating barrel.

I am not familiar with this gun so; I stand corrected.

Usually, there is some kind of end cap that attaches to the barrel or front sight on a mannlicher. If not 20" of long skinny wood will randomly touch the barrel, even flex under hand pressure. The CZ 452 used a mounting screw 1/2 way down the barrel and floated the last 10 inches. Apparently the 452 system worked very well. The 455 is a problem in my view.

There is another nit pick I have with 550 mannlicher's. That is how the hog back handles recoil. For bigger guns a straight line butt stock is better for recoil. There are a lot of hogback 416 Rigby's that are tough to shoot with what should be a very manageable firearm. I would want a straigh stock on a 9.3. Scope mounting works out better with a higher comb. The hogback is optimized for iron sights. Which is good, if the shooter prefers, light and fast irons.
I really like my LH Tikka T3 Hunter. Super light. Unfortunately, it seems to be discontinued or no longer imported into the US. See:

http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-hunter-93x62-with-rings.aspx
Originally Posted by nathanial
Mauser M-12 Extreme

^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^

Mauser cartridge in a Mauser rifle. Love mine. One of the best all
around mass produced rifles I've ever seen.

Zastava M70PSS All Stainless.

[Linked Image]
I have some concerns about Zastava. The price is right but the quality is suspect with apparently no support.

I handled two recently a 22mag and a Remington/import 375HH. I have to say right up front, based on price alone, I almost purchased the 22. The 'looked' like a hck of deal. And, I still might. I did some home work and it is not all good.

There are guys refinishing the rim fires and they seem generally happy. Or happy to have a cheap project. You read closely, almost everyone has had a problem or had some mechanical issue. Magazine feeding, broken firing pin (rare) or broken extractor. No big deal, you get a gun for 1/2 the going rate and occasionally minor things go wrong. Here is the big deal, Zestava does not have a sales network in the USA. There is ZERO support. No parts availability and no support of any kind. You need parts, buy another gun! And you may need parts, not like buying a browning.

Go to Zastava website and they give the impression to be doing business in the USA. No! They ship to a seller and wash their hands of the whole situation.

I admit, I could be all wrong. This is research on the internet for what that is worth. It is enough to scare me off for now.

secret squirrrel,

that looks like a Model 70 clone. Is it a copy of a winchester? Maybe you can post more on your experience. Where purchased and for how much. Did you get a warranty? Scope mounting, accuracy, reliable function, trigger? A phone number and warranty card?

There isn't much clearance between the metal of the end cap and the barrel; so I check it fairly frequently. So far - so good.
I did a CZ Kevlar and turned it into a carbine. It was nice.

I rebored a M70 and that was better.

I'm telling you, the Mauser M12 Extreme (wood if you prefer) with the factory iron sights is most impressive. The detachable magazine that can easily be loaded like a standard magazine while in place is a marvel. The trigger pretty much couldn't be better as is. The bolt functions as smoothly as a Tikka. It has a shroud mounted 3 position safety. I'm all hot and bothered now...
pull the CZ550FS out of the wooden stock and put it in a mcmillan and you have a fantastic hunting rifle in a first rate stock capable of just about anything you want to do. the safety on the CZ takes some getting used to but is really not an issue.
I just visited a Cabelas and there was a whole rack of Zastava M70 in 270 and 30-06. Now, I have to do 180 degree reversal. Again!!! I am lucky not to be a politician and I can change my mind. The price was 399.99. This gun is worth that all day.

I was looking at one with a guy next to me commented he might buy one just for the action. It is a honest 98 Mauser action. The metal finish was good. Real blue, no matt garbage. The crown looked right the ones I picked up. Now the stocks ... funny. They ran the gamut from plain yellow featureless wood to one that might be an honest AA walnut. I notice the wood to metal had a few minor gaps. One of the better stocks had machine chatter marks on the cheek rest. The very best wood was perfectly finished. The rear sight would need to have the notch filed open for me.

So, if I saw a 9.3x62 with AA walnut in a Zestava M70. I would slap down the plastic. I mean what the heck. See what $400 buys these days in plastic stocks and matt finish.
Stuck new glass on my 9.3 x 62 last week. VX 3, 1.5 x 5 I took in a trade. We'll see how this works. I've wanted to try one on this rifle for a while. Should fit my needs just fine!!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Stuck new glass on my 9.3 x 62 last week. VX 3, 1.5 x 5 I took in a trade. We'll see how this works. I've wanted to try one on this rifle for a while. Should fit my needs just fine!!

[Linked Image]

How far off the stock do you have to lift your head to look through that scope?
Originally Posted by fourbore
I just visited a Cabelas and there was a whole rack of Zastava M70 in 270 and 30-06. Now, I have to do 180 degree reversal. Again!!! I am lucky not to be a politician and I can change my mind. The price was 399.99. This gun is worth that all day.

I was looking at one with a guy next to me commented he might buy one just for the action. It is a honest 98 Mauser action. The metal finish was good. Real blue, no matt garbage. The crown looked right the ones I picked up. Now the stocks ... funny. They ran the gamut from plain yellow featureless wood to one that might be an honest AA walnut. I notice the wood to metal had a few minor gaps. One of the better stocks had machine chatter marks on the cheek rest. The very best wood was perfectly finished. The rear sight would need to have the notch filed open for me.

So, if I saw a 9.3x62 with AA walnut in a Zestava M70. I would slap down the plastic. I mean what the heck. See what $400 buys these days in plastic stocks and matt finish.

You are right. The Zastava's are pretty rough, but well worth their asking price. The one chambered in 9.3x62mm that I had at the range shot 1 1/2" 3 shot groups with factory ammo. It did kick a lot harder than my CZ though, probably due to stock shape and it being considerably lighter than the CZ550...

[Linked Image]

How far off the stock do you have to lift your head to look through that scope?

Not too far. Cheek hits stock just below the corner of my mouth. I can get a good weld. Works for me. Shot lots Of critters with this old rifle. Last was a nilgai cow, weekend before Christmas last. At about 50 yds. She was moving at a good trot.

Postscript. Had an old Redfield low profile 2x7 widefield on the rifle when I shot nilgai.
Cool beans man. As long as it works for you, that's all that counts. Looks like a slick old mauser to me.
Cool beans man. As long as it works for you, that's all that counts. Looks like a slick old mauser to me.

It's that old Husqvarna 146 I rechambered Ive posted on here before. It's a good old rifle. I like It.
I really like my Ruger with 1.75 x 5 Burris in quick detach Warne rings.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Attached picture 9.3 L.JPG
Attached picture 9.3 R.JPG
That's a nice set up Jones, do you shoot 250 gr Accubonds or 286 gr Partitions in it?
I've always liked the looks of those Rugers. Donsm70 had a very nice Ruger 9.3x62mm at one time that was an eye popper.
If I hadn't have had my Heym 98 Mauser built before the Rugers came out, that's exactly what I'd have standing in the bolt gun safe. wink
I like the Ruger 77's. They are damn good stout rifles and the African's are exceptionally nice for a Ruger. This is a great thread, even though it is 6 years old. Glad to see it surface.
Yes, they are, have had several Ruger 77 rifles over the years, all have been tank tough and very reliable, I still have an old Ruger African in 458 WM that thinks it's a varmint rifle, that is if I'll hold it still enough while firing. shocked laugh
That's a nice set up Jones, do you shoot 250 gr Accubonds or 286 gr Partitions in it?

Not so far. When I bought the rifle I was able to buy five boxes of Prvi Partizan loaded with 286 gr bullets for less than I could find 100 empty cases. They shot so well that I bought a couple hundred of the Prvi 286 gr soft points. Since then I've been using 270 gr Speers. They shoot great in my rifle, and so far deer is the only thing I,ve hunted with it. If I'm ever able to go back to Africa I'll definitely work up some loads with the Noslers. I've had Partitions shoot really well in 7 Mag and 30-06. I haven't used Accubonds in anything yet.
Nice rig Jones!!!!!

It's that old Husqvarna M146 I rechambered Ive posted on here before. It's a good old rifle. I like It.

I remember when you posted that M146 before. The forward slanted bolt handle is memorable.

Did you have to do any rail work when you rechambered to X62?
Internet postings seem split on the need to do so with M146s.

Originally Posted by jonesmd4

Not so far. When I bought the rifle I was able to buy five boxes of Prvi Partizan loaded with 286 gr bullets for less than I could find 100 empty cases. They shot so well that I bought a couple hundred of the Prvi 286 gr soft points. Since then I've been using 270 gr Speers. They shoot great in my rifle, and so far deer is the only thing I,ve hunted with it. If I'm ever able to go back to Africa I'll definitely work up some loads with the Noslers. I've had Partitions shoot really well in 7 Mag and 30-06. I haven't used Accubonds in anything yet.

10-4, sounds like you got a handle on it Jones. smile
Originally Posted by carbon12

It's that old Husqvarna M146 I rechambered Ive posted on here before. It's a good old rifle. I like It.

I remember when you posted that M146 before. The forward slanted bolt handle is memorable.

Did you have to do any rail work when you rechambered to X62?
Internet postings seem split on the need to do so with M146s.

I believe I was one of the lucky ones! Mine required no rail work. I've heard from others who did have to perform a bit of modification on theirs.
My 9.3 is one of the older high gloss Rugers

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by StarchedCover
While I am biased towards the CZ (I have a 550 Lux in 9.3 from the the late 90's), it comes down to which one do you like?

I have a tough choice at times because right next to the CZ sit's my Ruger M77RS in 35 Whelen.....

Best of luck in your decision.

My opinion hasn't changed from 2011, I'm still very fond of my CZ 550 Lux and over the past several years it gets taken to the field way more than my heavier 338 Win. Mag.
It's set up with a 1.5-5x Leupold w/ Heavy Plex in Talley rings.

StarchedCover
I've tried out CZ, Ruger, two customs on 98 Mausers, and now two 98 Husqvarnas in 9.3X62 and like this latest one, the only one I have presently, second only to a semi-custom put together on a Mauser action by Mike McCabe, which I sold in a moment of insanity.

This commercial-actioned Husqvarna 640 was only $399.00 at a site on line. I added a low scope safety and Timney trigger I had in my misc parts drawer, then I put on a Loopy VXIII 2.5-8 I took off a rifle that will get sold soon and tried out some of my old reloads.

It shot 1" 3-shot groups off the hood of my truck with sandbags.

I'm keeping this one, unle$$ $omeone come$ along and want$ it a whole lot more.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

THAT reeks of Class, Kaywoodie!

Rates a two-cool... cool cool
Originally Posted by tedthorn

[Linked Image]

That's a nice rig TedThorn!
i've been curious as to how consistent a chin weld can be when a scope is mounted high, compared to cheek weld when a scope is mounted relatively low
Originally Posted by metricman
i've been curious as to how consistent a chin weld can be when a scope is mounted high, compared to cheek weld when a scope is mounted relatively low

It's not on my chin. It's still on my cheek. About the same level asthe corner of my mouth, I still have a good bit of cheek on the stock. It's just a tad lower than most are used to.
Originally Posted by tedthorn

[Linked Image]

That's a beauty..
© 24hourcampfire