Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Cz for sure. Forged action. Super accurate. Options like full stock, kevlar, and a set trigger.

The triggers are very adjustable and safe. I dropped my cz550stutzen 8x57 locked and loaded out of a 12-14ft tree stand straight to the ground without a hickup. I might have had a heart attack, but the rifle was fine.

the wood stocks have a small amount of palm swell, something i really like on a rifle. 3pos push forwar safety is easy to find int he dark. You can thumb the back of the bolt to double check whether or not it is cocked.

I got my wife a CZ550 luxus in 30.06 and she shoots 3 leaf clovers with it all day with the cheap ammo. .5moa.

rugers have the cast action, impersonal stock, and no soul. lol.

Last edited by jagd; 07/13/11. Reason: I'm illiterate.

Loving life in the Great North West one day at a time.

sounds like its time for a new gun.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been following the thread for some time now to try and learn something new about rifles. The paste certainly is a new thought and understandable and thanks for the info.

My question is: is there really such a big difference between 2 manufacturers that it would make a noticeable difference for the person using/handling it?

Or is it mainly noticed by experts in rifles?

Thanks

Pieter

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by PieterKriel
I have been following the thread for some time now to try and learn something new about rifles. The paste certainly is a new thought and understandable and thanks for the info.

My question is: is there really such a big difference between 2 manufacturers that it would make a noticeable difference for the person using/handling it?

Or is it mainly noticed by experts in rifles?

Thanks

Pieter
...Imo, won`t change a hunting outcome. The only differences are perks and preferences.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMO, the differences between the two is going to be in the safety (wing vs. rocker) and the finish of the rifle, ie, if your 9.3 HAS to be a SS, that is going to rule out the CZ (not that Ruger offers a SS 9.3 yet, BUT they do offer a SS .30-06 donor rifle that can be had for about 600 USD).

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks bigsqueeze and UncleJake. I feel like an idiot not knowing all these differences between the different manufacturers rifles.

The one thing that really kicks me in a soft place is the low cost of your rifles and ammunition.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't go too nuts with lapping compound on the lugs........

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
jagd - "no soul"...that may be the result of that really rough action. Sort of like constipation in humans...won't feel better until it smooths out. LOL. Homesteader.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
the CZ has two pure Mauser 98 features which the Ruger doesn't, the 'C-ring' breeching, and the extractor with the under-cut which prevents the extractor hook from jumping out and letting go of a stuck case.

The Ruger has probably the simplest and most robust trigger and safety system around, though to my fingers, the safety wing is a little small.

The CZ has what is probably the most complicated trigger system on a commercial bolt action, though they seem to be reliable and some people (not me) really like the single set feature.

I also like the all steel sights and front band on the Ruger, rather than the alloy rear and ramp on the medium CZs.

Having said all that, as bigsqueeze said, none of the differences will likely affect the outcome of a hunt.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Another thing to consider, is that the scope rings are included along with Ruger`s built-in to the receiver mounting system. So no scope bases nor scope rings to buy.

When it comes to durability and strength, there isn`t one scope mounting system out there that surpasses the Ruger design in those two depts.

In certain areas, the CZs are more refined. The Rugers however, are more of a plain, no-nonsense, and brutally durable rifle.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Another thing to consider, is that the scope rings are included along with Ruger`s built-in to the receiver mounting system. So no scope bases nor scope rings to buy.

Not sure if its changed of late, but when i bought my CZ550 it came with rings as well...Certainly in the UK, if they weren't the right size or height, CZ would also swap them...

Having bothe CZ and Ruger rifles, I think I prefer the Ruger integral bases, but in fairness, I have had no problems with the CZ system either...

Last edited by Pete E; 07/14/11.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
CZs come with rings? Hmmm, didn`t know that! Wonder if that holds true here in the states.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I purchased a CZ550 FS about 4yrs ago and it did not come with rings. I just now purchased a Ruger African, also in 9.3X62 and it came with rings one notch too high for my taste....this is remedied with one lower ring and moving the front ring to back.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
CZs come with rings? Hmmm, didn`t know that! Wonder if that holds true here in the states.

The CZ 550's in the UK also came with a three year warranty too, which I though was damn good...

I had a minor issue with mine in that the bolt would slightly bind periodically when being cycled...

The dealer said keep it a few more weeks and if it doesn't free up, then bring it back...

Thats exactly what I did, and they exchanged it, no questions asked although there was a few weeks delay while they imported another of the same caliber...

I'd free floated the barrel on the original as well, but they didn't use that as an excuse not to honour the warranty..

Last edited by Pete E; 07/14/11.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My 9.3x62 is a CZ purchased new in 2002. It's among my favorite rifles, and I've hunted quite a bit with it in North America and Africa. It's super-accurate with about any load, including factory, and in a lot of hunting I've never had the slightest problem with the trigger or safety, one reason they've never been changed out. Three years ago I even had it restocked in fancy European walnut, just because I like it so much.

That said, I have some experience with the recent Hawkeye rifles from Ruger, and wouldn't hesitate to buy one in 9.3x62 if I didn't already have the CZ. I prefer the safety on the CZ to the Hawkeye's, but not enough to get worked up about it. Other than probably having to fix the trigger pull (easy on a Hawkeye) I'd probably leave it alone as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
My 9.3x62 is a CZ purchased new in 2002. It's among my favorite rifles, and I've hunted quite a bit with it in North America and Africa. It's super-accurate with about any load, including factory, and in a lot of hunting I've never had the slightest problem with the trigger or safety, one reason they've never been changed out. Three years ago I even had it restocked in fancy European walnut, just because I like it so much.

That said, I have some experience with the recent Hawkeye rifles from Ruger, and wouldn't hesitate to buy one in 9.3x62 if I didn't already have the CZ. I prefer the safety on the CZ to the Hawkeye's, but not enough to get worked up about it. Other than probably having to fix the trigger pull (easy on a Hawkeye) I'd probably leave it alone as well.

Wonder if you might provide a reference to adjustment information, please.
thanks,

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Couple of things that I did and in no way is this an endorsement for others. Do it at your own risk.

Clipped the trigger spring in very small increments (1/4 of a turn at a time), reassembled, paying attention to the spring tension/trigger/trigger pin "relationship" and settled on 3lbs or slightly more, can't remember at the moment.

Then I addressed creep by first polishing the sear MAKING SURE that it was done correctly = square. Checked creep repeatedly and the last bit was removed by shortening the length of the sear with a very fine file. Again, square.

It took awhile but it worked very well. Brownells, Wolff http://www.gunsprings.com/ and ernie the gunsmith sell reduced power springs.

Ruger IMHO:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Karnis; 07/14/11.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My CZ 550 came with factory rings, which fit the factory integrated dovetail base on the receiver. Other than they are steel and are heavy no issues with scope mounting.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Good Luck finding a Ruger 9.3x62!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thats a nice rifle Karnis, my 9.3 is still in Colo. the smith is takin a file to the quarter rib so maybe it wont be much longer.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (10Glocks, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 27 invisible), 1,854 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,872
Posts18,478,770
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.