Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
For a 9.3x62 which rifle a Ruger African or CZ American.
I would make the following modifications to the American
NEGC sights, barrel band, 3 position safety, ebony forend tip.
The Ruger would probably be left as stock besides bedding the action properly. Is this needed with the African?
What say you?

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I like the feel of a slicked up CZ while a Ruger to me always retains a sort of gritty feel.

I vote CZ.

The way life should be.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'd like the CZ as modified like you describe, but you will be pretty near double the cost (maybe more ???) of a Ruger African.

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Only you can decide that.

I bought a CZ full stock in 9.3X62 at the same time my son got a Ruger 375 African. His weighs more. Mine came with a 3 position safety and I've added a NECG peep sight and front sight. His Ruger has very usable iron sights. (My old eyes function better with a peep sight than open sights.) NECG products and service are excellent!

Because mine is a FS with the Bavarian stock contour the two rifles are not directly comparable and his is a 375 Ruger, not a 9.3X62 (his is also left-handed). Because his barrel is longer the rifle feels more muzzle heavy to me but it is not objectionable, a 9.3X62 African should balance about the same. His rifle has a front barrel band.

Felt recoil in both rifles seems about the same to me (he burns more powder in his 375 but the rifle is heavier). The Ruger stock is very straight and the recoil comes straight back. The FS CZ has the humpback stock that tends to bring up the muzzle under recoil. I don't mind shooting either one -- but you know when they have gone off!

The Ruger African in 9.3X62 was not available when I bought mine but if it had been it would have been a difficult choice. My wood (under the muddy CZ finish) has much more figure than the plain Ruger wood.

He has shot his over 50 times and the stock is still fine (no cracks). We did not bed his as the factory said that taking it out of the stock would void the warranty. I bedded mine when I refinished the stock and changed the recoil pad. My CZ came with a soft thick pad but the length of pull was over 14", longer than I like and I'm over 6 feet tall. The Ruger LOP is about 13.6" with a thin hard pad.

I just cycled both actions, they feel different but both have gotten smoother as we have used then. The CZ was quite gritty when it came but I've spent considerable time cycling it. The Ruger came smoother but it hasn't been used as much as my CZ.

I like both rifles and would be happy with either. Both shoot better than we can hold them. But you need to see which one feels the best to you.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
While I am biased towards the CZ (I have a 550 Lux in 9.3 from the the late 90's), it comes down to which one do you like?

I have a tough choice at times because right next to the CZ sit's my Ruger M77RS in 35 Whelen.....

Best of luck in your decision.

Semper Fi
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We did not bed his as the factory said that taking it out of the stock would void the warranty.

Are you serious?? If you take a Ruger barrelled action out of the stock they won't honor the warranty?? That's reason enough to go CZ. Who told you that if I may ask. Thanks.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a CZ 550 in 9.3X62. Nicely figured wood, great fit an finish. Very nice trigger in set mode or regular. Safety works fine. No need to bed the rifle, shoots at MOA with handloads. Bought mine a couple of years ago before they got pricey. The action was a bit stiff when new but has loosened with use, it is now smooth. Never handled a Ruger African, but the 77's I have have not had the trigger a CZ has, nor have they been as accurate out of the box.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Based on my experience with the Ruger 375 African, I would go with the Ruger. A good idea to check the bedding. When mine was a 375, I had it bedded and had no problems. It's a very handy rifle, very lively to the shoulder, and for me, a great fit for quick shooting.

As the 9.3x62 recoil is certainly no greater than the 375 Ruger, the wood stock should be fine, if well bedded from the factory or glass bedded subsequently, if not.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Get a little valve grinding paste, put it on the bolt and lugs and cycle the bolt for an hour or so while watching TV. That will slick up the action measurably. If you want to bed it you can but mine never was. I fell on the rifle and broke the stock otherwise it was fine. When I looked at he broken parts there was no problem except me. Bed it if you want to but don't feel like it's absolutely needed in a 9.3.
I've never had any trouble with CZ stocks in less than huge magnum calibers.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It much depends on your own personal wants. I spent a bunch of time looking for a factory 9.3x62 to best fit my wants out of the box. I was looking at importing a Mauser, the new CZ Kevlar Carbine, the new Ruger African, and the new Sako Black Bear. All of them are or could be great sporting rifles, but I chose the Sako. The Ruger was too heavy for my tastes in that chambering, whereas the CZ Kevlar Carbine was better for me at 7-pounds. I look at the CZ as a project in a box based on my past 550s, therefore I went the Sako route. Based on my wants, the Sako is the best choice with the CZ being a good choice on the cheap.

For someone else's wants, I could see where the box stock Ruger could be a perfect choice. As for the newer Ruger, I've owned two later RSMs, two Africans, and a RCM; none of those five were gritty, and all were smooth out the box. Not slick like a worked over custom, but very smooth.

Best smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 06/29/11.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
drducati- what did you use and how was it applied to ensure all the grinding compound has been removed from the bolt and the bolt's raceways? Have seen this method discussed several times and the compound's complete removal has is alway's been the sticking point. Any compound left over continues to grind on the bolt's steel and that can't be good. Thinking a pressure flush setup would work but with what fluid (kerosene?)...like to hear how you did it. Regards, Homesteader.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Homesteader,
I flushed it out with soap and water and a small brush. The paste I used is water soluble and came out easily. I've done it for years on many guns and never had a problem. I've thought about it but never had one.
When I was in Africa last year my PH said "I've looked at lot of CZ's and never saw one with an action this smooth". I told him it was an hour's work with fine valve grinding compound.
I worked over the races and the lugs. Flushed it well and that was 1997.

Last edited by drducati; 06/29/11.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
drducati - Thanks very much for your input on this. Next time I'm in the local auto parts store I'll look for the compound. Regards, Homesteader.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
SLDUCK;

Why limit your choices to the Ruger or CZ?

Is it because you want a wood handle?

Mine's a Tikka T3 Lite that weighs in at 6.8 lbs with the 2-7 X 35mm Burris Fullfield II. It shoots 286gr handloads at 2420 fps and sub MOA. And, I've never owned a rifle with a smoother action.

In other words, there are other options out there.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
CZ550 - for some reason rifles like the 9.3 x 62mm Tikka are not imported into the USA (that I'm aware of...I want one). This certainly reduces the choices we have and bringing one into U.S. commerce (i.e. documentation, Customs duties etc.)from a Canadian dealer involves more then individuals are willing to put up with. I can't understand why I can buy a Tikka in 6.5 Swede, but not in 7mm/9.3 Mauser, in the U.S. Is it potential sales figures that determine what can or can not be imported? Regards, Homesteader.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No exp. W/CZ, but have heard of feeding issue's, there is a Man in business to correct these factory defaults, i have run a bunch of Ruger bolts and never had a problem w/ any of them, and sad to admit some of them are more accurate than a couple custom rifle's that cost many times more cabbage.
I just love Ruger's, lot's of fail safe bang for Your buck, as well as great customer service should a problem arise.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
gunner500 - agree with you on Ruger's 'bang for the buck' factor as I have several - one dating back into the early 70's. Just wish they would not ship out rifles that feel like they loaded sand into the action...latest 9.3 African is really rough. Another poster (drducati) uses water soluble valve grinding paste to smooth up the Ruger's action. Think I'll give that a try. Homesteader.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Zastava also make a 9.3x62.

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/cms/index.php?id=231

You can always re-barrel a .30-06, .25-06 or .270 and then you can choose the quality of the barrel.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10 on that homesteader, my new hawkeye in 358W was rough as a bear fight when i first got it, but thru load dev. of the 200 TSX, and later w/ the 200 TTSX she's slick as a whistle and darn accurate.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tophet1
Zastava also make a 9.3x62.

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/cms/index.php?id=231

You can always re-barrel a .30-06, .25-06 or .270 and then you can choose the quality of the barrel.

Can't find them here in the USA... frown

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

134 members (007FJ, 44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 10Glocks, 8 invisible), 1,346 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,692
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.