Home
Posted By: Fifth 358 Norma - 11/11/11
I have no idea why but I have wild hare up my ass for a 358 Norma. I already have a 375 Ruger so the benefits of a 358 throwing heavies won't do much more (or less) than the Ruger. Anyone here have experience with the cartridge? Pros cons from your perspective? Thanks.
Posted By: safariman Re: 358 Norma - 11/11/11
No personal experience, but I also have been enamored with the round and wondered why it never caught on like it should. Kinda like a 338 WM or 35 Whelen on steroids. In a nicely done '98 Mauser would be one nice Elk and Bear custom rilfe and would do yeoman work on African Plains game as well.
Posted By: 340mag Re: 358 Norma - 11/11/11
Ive owned a 358 norma it the past, I can,t see where it had any better performance than the 338 win,340 wby or 375 H&H
Posted By: RickF Re: 358 Norma - 11/11/11
I have used one for about 10 years now. No huge number of animals taken, but several moose, two bull elk and assorted smaller stuff.

I have settled on the 225TSX at a comfortable 2900 fps as the do all load. In fact used it on last years elk at a lasered 418 yards, that load shoots flatter than you may think at first.

You can talk up the better SD of the 338s as compared to the 35s, but since I can't find a critter large enough to stop that bullet I consider it a moot point.

It's a nice cartridge. Others come and go, that rifle stays.

It of course won't do a thing your Ruger doesn't already do, but it is a nice cartridge. Hard to go wrong with it.
Posted By: Fifth Re: 358 Norma - 11/11/11
I've read that some will load handgun bullets for cheaper range sessions and/or lighter game. Seems like a nice bonus..... My only concern would be using the proper powder for the case volume. I have no experience loading reduced loads in large case cartridges. Hmm. Sounds like I am still talking myself into one.
Posted By: jpb Re: 358 Norma - 11/11/11
Originally Posted by Fifth
I've read that some will load handgun bullets for cheaper range sessions and/or lighter game. Seems like a nice bonus..... My only concern would be using the proper powder for the case volume. I have no experience loading reduced loads in large case cartridges. Hmm. Sounds like I am still talking myself into one.

I do that (load cheap pistol bullets in my .358 Norma mag). It works very well -- there is no such cheap bullet option available for a .338 Win Mag or my .375 H&H Magnums.

John
Posted By: RickF Re: 358 Norma - 11/11/11
I carry a second load when hunting. It is a 158 grain JHP over 16 grains of Unique, a large pistol primer and a square of TP tamped down on the powder. 1400 fps, virtually silent and decisive on grouse! Call it the worlds largest 22LR.
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: 358 Norma - 11/12/11
For me, it's a great cartridge. I've taken Moose, Caribou, Black and Grizzly with it and all were most impressed.
I loved the 250 gr. Barnes X but since it's now discontinued I use 250 Noslers, or 200 hornady's.
I was originally drown to it because it's kind of an oddball, but now I am a big fan because of the accuracy and effect on game.
Posted By: waterrat Re: 358 Norma - 11/12/11
I've been using 358 Norma's for 30+ yrs, I started using 250gr bullets then switched to 225's /w 300's for bears. Now I use 280 Swift's for all my moose and bear hunting,2 1/2" high at 100yds and you have all you need for all practical shooting needs.[Linked Image]This 1 is a pre-64 mod 70 in a MPI stock.
Posted By: Ready Re: 358 Norma - 11/12/11
Waterrat,

hows the dials on that scope working for you? Open country that...

Posted By: waterrat Re: 358 Norma - 11/12/11
As open as the country is our shots are usually between 25 and 100 yds. 5 power is plenty of magnification for 95% of Alaskan hunting! IMHO naturally
Posted By: elkivory Re: 358 Norma - 11/12/11
I've had three over the years..
First was a husqvarna, and the second was a custom rifle...ammo wasnt all that hard to find and both shot great(pro), but being young with other priorities at the time, they went away.
Found another husky about a year ago and its a different story these days for locating factory ammo locally (con)..will just sit in the safe until i break down and order some online and get stuck for the shipping i guess !!
Posted By: sbsmith Re: 358 Norma - 11/12/11
I've hunted with my LH Sako 358 Norma for most of 35 years in Alaska. Contrary to others experience, I rebarreled my 375 to 358 because shots tended to be on the long side here in the interior. I use 225 Noslers for 2950 to 3000fps depending on the bullet. Accuracy is outstanding and it is death on any critter I've used it on. It's just an all around excellent cartridge for Alaska. just my .02
Posted By: North61 Re: 358 Norma - 11/12/11
I have been using the 358 Norma for 5 years now. Flexible, powerful and it kills moose very well. Ammo not much of an issue. 300 Win Mag and a trimmer easy to convert 100 rounds in a lazy afternoon.

I like the 12 or 14" twist better than the 16 twist found on many American 35 barrels. With longer bullets like the TSX or Accu-Bond a bit quicker twist is useful.

One of my 358's is a light Ruger 77 and it has broken several good scopes but the 2.5X Leupold is still going strong. It's 16 twist barrel handles 225 or 250 Partitions well. Longer bullets are a challenge past 200 yards.

My other 358 is a 9 pound Sako with a 25" heavy weight Douglas Premium barrel with a 14 twist. It shoots every bullet ( even the longest ones) I have put in it into 1.5" or less...sometimes much less.

H4895 and 250's is a classic choice.
Posted By: Fifth Re: 358 Norma - 11/12/11
North61: I've never converted brass from a different case. What dies/tools would I need? If making brass from 300 WM is easy that only adds to me wanting the 358. Thanks.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: 358 Norma - 11/12/11
The 300 brass will get you the longer neck (though it must be trimmed). You can also simply neck up 338 Win Mag - just run them through the Norma die, or 7mm Rem Mag brass. I mostly use the latter, buying once-fired since it is plentiful. I often anneal the neck before running a 338 expander through the neck before I run the brass into the Norma die. Some once-fired 7mm brass will crack if you stretch it too much without annealing. There's nothing complicated about it.
Posted By: North61 Re: 358 Norma - 11/12/11
Make sure you have a tapered expander on your full length resizing die. That's all you need. The Hornady dies come with one...or use to.

Many folks use 338 Win brass as you have less neck stretch but the body is a bit short, but it can and does work. New 300 Win brass can generally get up to 35 without annealing and the body is long enough too. I have made brass from 7mm Weatherby and Rem, 300 Win, 8mm Rem (big trim job) and 338. All work. With a good tapered expander and Imperial sizing die wax it's pretty easy.

I found 200 Norma brass at a give away price and haven't made cases for a while now.
Posted By: RickF Re: 358 Norma - 11/12/11
It seems every time we discuss the Nine Norma I find this old post, forgive the redundancy...

Here's another option for you, and the way I went when I had a 358 Norma built years ago. I had the neck reamed out to a case length of 2.61". This was accomplished after standard chambering with the 358 Norma reamer, by then running in a 35 Whelen reamer with it's longer case neck, to the 2.61" chamber length. Why?? This lets me use untrimmed WW 300 Win brass. Just a pass through the FL sizer with well lubed case necks, and the brass is ready to go.

I use standard FL dies, in my case Redding, which work fine. The sizer die works exactly the same way, although I had the expander ball tapered more gently to make it easier to neck up the cases. To set the die I simply kept screwing the die into the press bit by bit, until the 300 cases had the shoulder pushed back far enough to fit the chamber. This works fine for resizing the fired cases as well, of course.

The seater die has to be backed off a bit, and the bullet seating stem screwed in farther to compensate. Otherwise it would crimp the case neck......a lot.

My motivation to do this was to use the 300 Win brass with the longer shoulder. A lot of people use the 338 Win brass, but we all know the shoulder is shorter on 338 Win brass. I didn't like the idea of fireforming brass by blowing the shoulder forward, hence weakening the brass. It made more sense to push a shoulder back, maintaining positive headspace while fireforming. So I thought, seriously, about using WW 300 Win brass, then trimming about 1/10" off the resized case, which made no sense. Then I hit upon having the neck extended so I wouldn't have to trim the hell out of the new brass.

It just makes more sense. With the longer neck, more of that long bullet is held under tension, just improving on the original design. It lets me use the inexpensive, great quality WW 300 Win brass, instead of buying the much more expensive, and historically soft Norma brass.

This was my only complaint with the original 358 Norma case design, in a mag action with room to spare, why saddle it with that short neck? The new case can be described as a 358 Norma case with a 35 Whelen neck, really the best of both worlds. If you do have this done, all it takes is running a 35 Whelen chamber reamer into your 358 Norma chamber. The shoulder/case aren't affected, just the neck is lengthened. Just be sure the neck dimensions of the reamers are similar, Norma neck dimensions are notorious for being on the "large" side. My chamber has a 2.6" "trim-to" length, with a max length of 2.61". This lets me trim the newly sized-up cases just enough to square the case mouths, instead of spending hours trimming.

This also lets you use 358 Norma factory rounds, it's essentially a freebore with those. It's such an obvious improvement to the standard 358 Norma case I can't understand why everybody doesn't do it!

I have picked up a bit of case capacity. With 250 grainers I get 2800, but my standard load is the 225 TSX at 2950 fps. Let�s just say it �impresses� game, and shoots really flat as well.
Posted By: domit Re: 358 Norma - 11/12/11
love the look of that rifle!!!!!!!!!!!! got details for us? br. length. everything! i N E E D one just like it. thanks in advance. D O M I T !
Posted By: waterrat Re: 358 Norma - 11/13/11
domit,,,it's a pre-64 (1951) with a 20" douglas barrel in a MPI stock. Talley detachable mnts. Jim
Posted By: ronben Re: 358 Norma - 11/14/11
I just had one built myself. It was made by Wayne York on a pre 64 m70 with a 22" barrel and one of his cut rifled barrels. I had him fit one of his pendleton classic composite stocks on it as well. After have some issues with a whelenI have and a 16" twist I opted for a 14. Pretty easy to get Moa accuracy with several loads, though it seems to have a preference fo 4895 and H380 over 4350 speed powders. Anyone try alliant 2000 mr in one? I'm thinking the 225 tsx would be just the thing. I definitely recommend Wayne and Oregunsmithing for custom rifles.
Posted By: Fifth Re: 358 Norma - 11/14/11
ronben: Welcome to the fire. Sounds like a sweet gun. I'm more than a little jealous. Any pics? Was your donor rifle a 30-06 action or a belted mag action?
Posted By: Dave93 Re: 358 Norma - 11/15/11
Waterrat.....how about starting a thread on your .358 N with a few more pictures. How do you like that stock? Nice set up.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: 358 Norma - 11/15/11

I considered it and then went with the 340 B for twenty years mostly on elk, caribou, etc. Very effective. But as J Barsness says, I'm a "churner", always thinking of something different; sold my 340 and went 375 R but for a brief couple of days considered the Swede seriously just because it doesn't pass the "mom and pop, corner store" test.

Any class including the 338s, 340, and 375s, would have to include the Norma too. It's effectiveness on the same game would be no less effectiveness than any of the former. Plus it has that very cool factor.
Posted By: elkivory Re: 358 Norma - 11/16/11
somebody please sell me some 358 ammo...by the way;as stated above, the .340 wby is basically perfect !
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 358 Norma - 11/16/11
If you wanna rock and roll on both ends,neck an 8 Rem Mag to 358(basically the 358STA)....forming is easily done with the 375H&H brass.

The 250 gr will break 3000 fps from a 24" tube,1-12 twist(why go slower?).

Yes, it kicks.

I would go no slower than a 12 twist on a big 35,and maybe a 10........churn them over!
Posted By: ronben Re: 358 Norma - 11/16/11
Here it is. Pre-64 M70 magnum action, 2.5-8 leupold, Pendleton classic b stock, Oregunsmithing cut rifled barrel w/14" twist, Just over 8 lbs with scope and sling. Recoil is substantial, but manageable. The straight stock and decelerator pad helps a lot.
Its only blood so far is stopping a cow elk that was attempting a getaway after being hit hard by my boy. She stopped.

Attached picture 358 left.jpg
Attached picture 358 right.jpg
Posted By: Big_W Re: 358 Norma - 11/16/11
That is a sweet looking rifle you got there ronben. Very cool.
Posted By: waterrat Re: 358 Norma - 11/17/11
Nice looking rig there ronben!!!!
Posted By: ronben Re: 358 Norma - 11/17/11
Thanks,Guys, Wayne is the man!

I just asked Barnes if they will be making a 225 tipped tsx for the 35's. If enough of us request it, it will happen.

It would be the most efficient 35 bullet made I believe. I was most impressed after seeing what it can do to an elk leg bone, and still hold together.
Posted By: Fifth Re: 358 Norma - 11/17/11
What about organizing a group buy? How many pre-orders would they need to produce the run?
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: 358 Norma - 11/18/11
Originally Posted by Fifth
I have no idea why but I have wild hare up my ass for a 358 Norma. I already have a 375 Ruger so the benefits of a 358 throwing heavies won't do much more (or less) than the Ruger. Anyone here have experience with the cartridge? Pros cons from your perspective? Thanks.

Actually, as another option, if you get a medium length action (say, an MRC action) with a longer box you can shoot the milder 350 RM and get the 225-gr TSX up to 2800 fps with TAC. I mention this because the 358 N really duplicates your Ruger. But the 350 may not have the panache of the 358.
Posted By: Big_W Re: 358 Norma - 11/18/11
I have a 350 Rem mag, you are getting 2800 fps with a 225 grain? Isnt that a little hot? I thought my loads were pushing it at 2700 fps. If you dont mind the recipe please?
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: 358 Norma - 11/18/11
Long magazine for COAL of > 3" combined with long throat.
Posted By: Big_W Re: 358 Norma - 11/18/11
Oh, ok i see what your saying. My 350 RM is a Rem Model 7 so thats a no go for me.
Posted By: RickF Re: 358 Norma - 11/18/11
Originally Posted by ronben
Thanks,Guys, Wayne is the man!

I just asked Barnes if they will be making a 225 tipped tsx for the 35's. If enough of us request it, it will happen.

It would be the most efficient 35 bullet made I believe. I was most impressed after seeing what it can do to an elk leg bone, and still hold together.

What exactly would that provide that the 225TSX does not?
Posted By: ronben Re: 358 Norma - 11/18/11

Higher BC, faster expansion with the same weight retention.

The tipped 200 is as efficient as the 225 tsx.
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: 358 Norma - 11/18/11
I have one built on a 700 action. It started life as a 35 Whelen. I scrounge as many 250gr bullets as possible and it likes them. Hornady's and Norma's into .6" and Barnes 250 X into .8".
I recently found another set of RCBS dies at a pawn shop, traded into an A&B barrel and have a magnum 98 action laying around. The reamer I have only has 1 chamber on it so I will put together another 358 Norma.
I find the recoil milder than a 338 WM or 300 Wby. I use 7 mag or 338 WM brass necked up. What isn't there to like about it??
Posted By: RickF Re: 358 Norma - 11/19/11
Originally Posted by ronben

Higher BC, faster expansion with the same weight retention.

The tipped 200 is as efficient as the 225 tsx.

I know from experience that the 225TSX opens just fine on whitetails, not sure I would want it to open any faster.

The higher BC may look good sitting in front of the trajectory program at home, in the field I doubt you could ever see the difference.

It would be a sexy bullet however! smile
Posted By: leverite2 Re: 358 Norma - 11/20/11
Originally Posted by Big_W
I have a 350 Rem mag, you are getting 2800 fps with a 225 grain? Isnt that a little hot? I thought my loads were pushing it at 2700 fps. If you dont mind the recipe please?

I get the same with my 350 RM (a 2.8" mag Rem 673). Barsness has some data. Admit it's hot, but case head expansion is on par with lighter loads. Also admit that case head expansion is a lousy pressure indicator. I shoot a couple of these rounds a year in prep for elk season.

I wanted a 358 norma for years until I discovered TAC in my 350 RM. If I want more, I'll go up to the 358 STA. Plus I have a 375 Ruger.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: 358 Norma - 11/20/11
Originally Posted by leverite2
Originally Posted by Big_W

I get the same with my 350 RM (a 2.8" mag Rem 673). Barsness has some data. Admit it's hot, but case head expansion is on par with lighter loads. Also admit that case head expansion is a lousy pressure indicator. I shoot a couple of these rounds a year in prep for elk season.

I wanted a 358 norma for years until I discovered TAC in my 350 RM. If I want more, I'll go up to the 358 STA. Plus I have a 375 Ruger.

Yep, same here.
Posted By: RickF Re: 358 Norma - 11/21/11
With Ramshot Big Game, 2950 is comfortable with a 225 grainer in the Norma. Just sayin...
Posted By: ronben Re: 358 Norma - 11/21/11
Can you share your load? Barrel length?
Posted By: RickF Re: 358 Norma - 11/21/11
About 73 grains, depending on the lot. 22 1/2" barrel. That with the 225TSX.

In that bore size, the Norma isn't really that large of a cartridge. I find medium burners work the best.

With 250 grainers, good old 4350 gave me the best results with 2800 fps achievable.
Posted By: leverite2 Re: 358 Norma - 11/22/11
That's definitely impressive!
Posted By: bearstalker Re: 358 Norma - 11/22/11
I get 3000fps out my 26" barrel 358 Norma Mag shooting 225-grain Swift A-Frames. Only killed one brown bear with this setup but hope to put a tag on another one next spring. One of my favorite cartridges and I love the rifle that it was built for.
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: 358 Norma - 12/28/11
I use 4350 also but am going to try 4320 and 225 gr bullets
Posted By: waterrat Re: 358 Norma - 12/28/11
I just ordered a 358 swage die from Lee,will run some 9.3 286gr NP and Hornady through it and see how accurate they fly out of the Norma!
Posted By: woofer Re: 358 Norma - 12/28/11
Anyone need a blued 70 358STA barrel with redding dies? Will package very cheap.... Was a 338 classic tube and rebored... Very nice bluing.

Hate to pimp the thread but if I dont sell them I will have to build one....

W
Posted By: waterrat Re: 358 Norma - 12/31/11
Man O Man ,,,, 10 yrs ago I would have been on it!!

Now just being granted a lifetime license from the State of Alaska I've imposed a 70gr maximum limit on the amount of gunpowder (recoil) that I want to deal with!!
Posted By: sbsmith Re: 358 Norma - 12/31/11
You're in luck! 69 gr H4895 gives 2950 fps w/225 Nosler Part.
w/excellent accuracy in my 23" bbl Sako 358 Norma
Posted By: waterrat Re: 358 Norma - 01/01/12
I use that load on 225 NP as well,,it's a rocket!!
Posted By: RobJordan Re: 358 Norma - 01/01/12
Originally Posted by waterrat
I've been using 358 Norma's for 30+ yrs, I started using 250gr bullets then switched to 225's /w 300's for bears. Now I use 280 Swift's for all my moose and bear hunting,2 1/2" high at 100yds and you have all you need for all practical shooting needs.[Linked Image]This 1 is a pre-64 mod 70 in a MPI stock.

Waterrat, what action is your .358 Norma built on?

Thanks,
Posted By: Con Re: 358 Norma - 01/01/12
I just ordered a 358 swage die from Lee,will run some 9.3 286gr NP and Hornady through it and see how accurate they fly out of the Norma!

I think you'll need more than one. Using the catalogued 358 and 357 sizers ... you'll need at least another 2 to draw down from 0.366" to 0.358".
Cheers...
Con
Posted By: waterrat Re: 358 Norma - 01/02/12
A couple of people have said it works,,it's worth a try and it won't break the bank if it doesn't work.
Posted By: Con Re: 358 Norma - 01/02/12
A couple of people have said it works,,it's worth a try and it won't break the bank if it doesn't work.

Real hard on the press doing a big step down. The recommendation is 0.003" draw down maximum on each step.
Cheers...
Con
Posted By: gerry35 Re: 358 Norma - 01/02/12

I have wanted to do the same thing and have the same die. Almost did some Hornady 286's but returned the box unopened, please let us know how it all works out especially the Nosler Partitions.
Posted By: Whelen_B Re: 358 Norma - 01/03/12
Have done it with 286gr Hornady's and the 357 sizer in one go. The NP with the centre web might be difficult but ??? The bullet on the left in the pic below is a slight bit under .366" - as it left the factory. All the ones on the right are .358" now. The light reflection above canelure shows the difference.
[Linked Image]
As Con says it's better in two steps - but you would need to get a custom .362" made. However one 357" will work. I needed a few "work arounds" with my gutless challenger press. White Lee lube used wet worked best.
Read further on my methods and results here - about 2/3 down this page to RESIZING HEAVYWEIGHT .366" BULLETS TO .358" -
http://35cal.com/bullets.html

Regards,

Whelen B
Posted By: waterrat Re: 358 Norma - 01/03/12
Thanks Whelen,,,that's the site that got me interested in the swage process. You are probably rite about the NP but the Hornady's will anything I plan on for sure. The Norma is put away until spring bear!
Posted By: exbiologist Re: 358 Norma - 01/03/12
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Mine was a cheap build, but shot pretty nicely. Rem 700 Action, Douglas #3 barrel, Faux Ti Stock. Weighed 7lbs 2 oz scoped. Pretty stout kick. 2800 plus with 250s.
Posted By: Whelen_B Re: 358 Norma - 01/03/12
That's a real nice rifle. I like a light rifle with power for hunting. But ya gotta learn to shoot it well when it counts. Some can't. That tight group tells me you know how.

What is a faux Ti exactly? Showing my ignorance here probably.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: 358 Norma - 01/03/12
Exbiologist, that is a sweet gun.

Whelen B, I saw that on your website and got the idea from you, thanks for posting up that information. I am most interested in the 286 gr Nosler and wonder how hard it would be to swage that one down. With some of the new 35 cal bullets out there have you given any thought to updating your 35 cal bullets page on your website?
Posted By: RJM Re: 358 Norma - 01/05/12
Ex...I am a .35 guy and have a Model 7 KS .350 RM that kicks pretty well with a 220 at 2600 fps... Your gun must smack pretty well... How long is the barrel... If I were to build a .358 NM I would copy yours... Just beautiful.

Bob
Posted By: Jgrabow Re: 358 Norma - 01/07/12
I purchased a 358 Norma Mag last year that is built on a FN Mauser action with a 26� 1 in 12 twist barrel. I haven�t hand loaded for this round yet but I will in the future. Has anybody reloaded or hunted with 275gr PP SN Woodleigh bullets?
Posted By: waterrat Re: 358 Norma - 01/07/12
60gr of 4895 would be a starting point,,maybe good enough??
Posted By: Whelen_B Re: 358 Norma - 01/22/12
Whelen B, I saw that on your website and got the idea from you, thanks for posting up that information. I am most interested in the 286 gr Nosler and wonder how hard it would be to swage that one down. With some of the new 35 cal bullets out there have you given any thought to updating your 35 cal bullets page on your website?

Tough enough doing conventional cup and core - thru a Lee sizer anyway with a lightweight press.

Website doesn't get enough updating - I'm just too relaxed about that these days. Yes it does need attention as it's out of date. The bullets page might be a good starting place. May not happen soon however. Just a hobby site - no commercial entanglements - so I'm slow on the go grin.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: 358 Norma - 01/22/12
Thanks, you do have a good website.
Posted By: CaseyTibbs Re: 358 Norma - 01/31/12

Howdy,
I'm new here but this thread caught my eye.
I just had a custom .358 Norma built on a Remington M1903. Getting decent results with 250 gr. North Forks.

Pretty elite club to join I think.
Posted By: waterrat Re: 358 Norma - 02/01/12
Welcome to the club Casey!! Here's bull that took a 280 Swift![Linked Image]
Posted By: bearstalker Re: 358 Norma - 02/01/12
Originally Posted by exbiologist
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Mine was a cheap build, but shot pretty nicely. Rem 700 Action, Douglas #3 barrel, Faux Ti Stock. Weighed 7lbs 2 oz scoped. Pretty stout kick. 2800 plus with 250s.

That's a sweet build. I'm digging that rifle big-time. What's the barrel length? And you kill anything with it?
Posted By: CaseyTibbs Re: 358 Norma - 02/02/12
Damn WR... You could make a chair out of each side.

I'd love to get a chance at one of those big guys some day, but at my age the window is narrowing a bit.

How fast you pushin' that 280?
Posted By: waterrat Re: 358 Norma - 02/02/12
2500fps,,hard to believe the bullet doesn't bounce off at this pitiful velocity! My 425 Express starts a 350gr at 2350fps and usually comepletely penetrate's most bears and moose even at 200+ yds.
Posted By: CaseyTibbs Re: 358 Norma - 02/02/12
My gunsmith told me that once you go heavier than 250 grains, anything over 2,500 fps. is just showing off...

Nothing wrong with showing off occasionally though.
Posted By: skidmore700 Re: 358 Norma - 02/11/12
I finally found a .358 Norma and ended up getting two in the same week. One right here on the Fire built on a Ruger MKII from velvetant and the second built on an Interarms Mark X.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: 358 Norma - 02/11/12
Originally Posted by skidmore700
I finally found a .358 Norma and ended up getting two in the same week. One right here on the Fire built on a Ruger MKII from velvetant and the second built on an Interarms Mark X.

That gun Velvetant sold is a very nice looking gun you got yourself a great buy, a bunch of us were drooling over that one when he posted it at Noslerreloading.
Posted By: skidmore700 Re: 358 Norma - 02/11/12
I had seen the picture at Nosler reloading previously and could not believe it when it popped up here for sale. I had to sell two other guns to buy it, but well worth it to me.
Posted By: exbiologist Re: 358 Norma - 02/11/12
Sorry about the delays getting back to you guys,I don't normally peruse the big bore forum.
Originally Posted by Whelen_B
That's a real nice rifle. I like a light rifle with power for hunting. But ya gotta learn to shoot it well when it counts. Some can't. That tight group tells me you know how.

What is a faux Ti exactly? Showing my ignorance here probably.

Faux ti just refers using the same B&C stock that Remington used on their Ti Mountain rifles. It can cut almost a pound off a lot of rifles.

Originally Posted by bearstalker

That's a sweet build. I'm digging that rifle big-time. What's the barrel length? And you kill anything with it?

It's 24". Never killed anything with it. Only took it on one elk hunt before selling it to another member here who's done some additional mods to it.
Posted By: lundtroller Re: 358 Norma - 02/11/12
Finally got my "new to me" customized Schultz and Larson 358 Norma Mag out the other day for its first range session. It wears a MPI fiberglass stock, has a matte SS type finish, 24" Hart barrel, and 4x M-8 Leupy scope in Z-rings with weaver bases. Weighs around 9# with sling and magazine full.

I ordered some Redding dies with the tapered expander and as recommended, ran some 300 Win brass through it, trimmed to length and loaded up some 250 gr. Speers with IMR 4350. The chronograph showed 2750fps with 74 gr. of powder and gave me 1.25-1.5" groups with the 4X Scope. I shot 12 rounds off the bench the other day... recoil was very tolerable and no bruising!!!

I was tickled to say the least!!! Look forward to more load developement and messing with some pistol bullets for plinking. I was amazed at all of the interest of other shooters at the range in the Schultz and Larsen platform and the Norma chambering... it was hard to get my shooting done.

I've wanted a battery of Norma Magnums for a long time... kind of a realization of a "dream" for me, still wouldn't mind a mauser variant or custom CF M70! Just thought I'd get my enthusiasm out there!!!
Posted By: waterrat Re: 358 Norma - 02/12/12
That sounds like a dandy,,I had some factory Norma's that went 2800fps but when I used 250's 2750 is what I settled on as well. The 250 Speer performed as well as any bullet ever shot out of my rifle!
Posted By: lundtroller Re: 358 Norma - 02/12/12
waterrat,

Saw a few bears up in your country this summer on a little trip to the Naknek/Katmai area for fishing that I would have loved to "test" it out on. I'm glad they could'nt read my mind because a few were closer than I was really comfortable with... glad they were preoccupied with the sockeye!!! Made me think of the misguided comfort that one guy felt who got eaten in the fall after living "in harmony" with the bears during the summer a few years back.

Changing the subject, the only thing that would make those 250gr. Speers look a little "meaner" is a round nose!
LT I guided in the Katmai Preserve for 10 yrs and the Norma was with me all the time. If you get back up here give me a shout as I commercial fish out of Naknek.
Sounds like a plan!

It was my first trip to SW AK. I was actually born at Elmendorf AFB so AK is kind of in my blood! Worked summers in KOTZ in the early 80's and hadn't been up since 1989. When I got off the jet this summer, it just felt right!!!

Plan to come up again soon. Want to float the Alagnak and get back to KOTZ to see friends, employers, etc. who are getting up there in age and mean alot to me.
Posted By: ronben Re: 358 Norma - 02/12/12
For a great small game load try 8-11 gr of 231 behind a 185 cast pistol bullet. When I sight in with 225tsx, they are spot on at 25 yds and shoot a ragged hole.

Anyone been trying any of the new medium powders in their 358?
Alliant 2000mr looks pretty good so far with the 225 tsx, and I have a can of Ar Comp to try next. My rifle seems to do better with a bit faster powder than the 4350 range.
Ronben yrs ago 4895 got my attention for the Norma and seeing how I use it in 6 other cartridges it became my fav! I tried plinking with squib loads but soon went back to a medium load behind 225 Sierra's.
waterrat,

Getting more efficiency with the 4895, better velocity, or better accuracy vs 4350? I had the IMR4350 sitting around so that is what I started with.
Posted By: domit Re: 358 Norma - 02/12/12
tac been used by anybody? supposed to be great in a 350 rem.
Posted By: bearstalker Re: 358 Norma - 02/12/12
I can't locate my Swift manual at the moment, but how fast can I run those 280s out of my Norma with a 26" barrel?
Posted By: exbiologist Re: 358 Norma - 02/14/12
2600 is probably realistic, but Swift says 2500 I believe. I never tried em, always wanted to though
Posted By: waterrat Re: 358 Norma - 02/14/12
LT I switched to 4895 for a recommended load and after seeing how easy it meters it get used for most of my rifles now excepting the 30 gibbs and my wifes 284.
Posted By: ronben Re: 358 Norma - 02/14/12
I tried the AR Comp with the 225 sierra. Started at 65 gr and went to 68. Groups got tighter as I increased the load with 68 giving me a sub .5" group. It was bit on the warm side, so I backed down to 67 and seated .020 deeper. 5 shots into .6"
No chronograph unfortunately, but I would imagine they are 2900+. I may have a new powder! Now to see how it does in the whelen.
Posted By: CaseyTibbs Re: 358 Norma - 02/16/12
I decided to run 250 gr. North Fork SP's and have had good luck with AA2700... after reading an article on .358 Norma load development some years ago in TAR (Jan. 2004). It meters well and is supposed to be less temperature sensitive in full capacity loads...

Started at 74.0 and worked up till 1st signs of primer flattening. I settled for 2920 fps.
First COAL yielded 1.06" for 5 shots.These were just thrown charges with first and last weighed for verification.

I will try a few more seating depths, but at $2.00 (and change) each time it goes "bang", doing too much farting around with a load that's already shooting MOA seems sorta anal.

It ain't no target rifle nor was it intended to be.
Posted By: ronben Re: 358 Norma - 02/20/12
Casey, any idea where I might find a copy of that article? Info on the .358 Norma is pretty scarce. I asked Hodgdon if they would ever produce data for any new powders and they told me NO because it was an obsolete cartridge. You wouldn't know it after reading this thread....
I think the 35's in general must be rising in popularity. 225 Sierras are out of stock everywhere.
I shot the last of mine over 2000mr and found 70 gr to be the sweet spot. .55" 5 shot group. No pressure signs up to 73, but the groups opened up with every grain.
Now I need to get the chrono fixed (errant gas check!)
Posted By: jpb Re: 358 Norma - 02/20/12
ronben,

I have no idea of what "TAR" is that CaseyTibbs refers to -- I too hope to get a copy.

However, I can post one online sources for loading the .358 Norma.

Norma

Not surprisingly though, this deals with Norma powders -- but some of the highest velocity loads I have seen for the .358 Norma is on this web page (e.g. 2845fps with 250gr bullets) so it is worth a look.

John
Posted By: CaseyTibbs Re: 358 Norma - 02/21/12
Sorry about the "TAR" reference.... "The Accurate Rifle" magazine is the predecessor to "PS".... "Precision Shooting" magazine. (Before and concurrent with TAR was "The Tactical Shooter").

The article I referred to is "The .358 Norma Magnum (Twice)" by J.C. Munnell. He actually got as high as 2957 fps with a 250 gr Speer spitzer over IMR 4350.

I settled on AA2700 because it takes up less case capacity and my chamber is a little shorter than the rifle in which Munnell got his results with IMR4350 in.

The .358 Norma seems to be the "flavor of the month" lately and its not surprising.... Duplicates .340 Weatherby ballistics with a considerably shorter barrel and can be built on a shorter action. Plus it makes a little bigger hole.

As mentioned earlier the Norma mags also have a bit of a "cool factor" going for them.
Posted By: jpb Re: 358 Norma - 02/21/12
Thanks Casey.

2957fps is smokin'!

John
Posted By: CaseyTibbs Re: 358 Norma - 02/21/12
I suppose I could scan the article if you can't find it?
Posted By: waterrat Re: 358 Norma - 02/22/12
I've never gotten close to that with 250's in any of mine,but then again I don't torture test 358 Norma cases like I've been known to do with Gibbs and Ackley rounds.
Posted By: jpb Re: 358 Norma - 02/22/12
Originally Posted by CaseyTibbs
I suppose I could scan the article if you can't find it?

I think I know a guy here in Sweden who subscribed to The Accurate Rifle (I am sure it was never sold at the news stands though).

I will check with him, and if he doesn't have it, I will get back to you to take advantage of your kind offer.

John
Posted By: ronben Re: 358 Norma - 02/22/12
Casey, If you would scan and post it, I would certainly appreciate it. Maybe the round will be resurrected.

FWIW,For a small game plinker, I have had great luck with 8-11 gr of 231 under a cast 185. Same poi as 225's at 25yds. I think it will be a great grouse load.

My mid range plinker is 31 gr 4227 under a 240 cast.
Posted By: CaseyTibbs Re: 358 Norma - 02/24/12
Ok...

Taken directly from TAR:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww312/stm1957/TAR%20on%20358NM/358NM6bmp.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww312/stm1957/TAR%20on%20358NM/358NM7bmp.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww312/stm1957/TAR%20on%20358NM/358NM8bmp.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww312/stm1957/TAR%20on%20358NM/358NM9bmp.jpg[/img]

Hope you can read this?
Posted By: jpb Re: 358 Norma - 02/24/12
Casey,

Excellent! Looks like a much more in-depth article than I see in today's gun magazines!

I am looking forward to reading this on Saturday morning over a nice cup of Italian Expresso coffee!

Many, many thanks!

John
Posted By: ronben Re: 358 Norma - 02/24/12
Thanks, Casey

Interesting article for sure. I do think he gave up on the 225's a bit early though. I think faster powders are the key with them.

Anone use hornady basic magnum to form brass? About the same cost as the 300 win I have been using. I had some old .458 Win brass and formed some. I was surprised to see the neck thickness to be the same as cases formed out of 300's. They were kind of short though.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: 358 Norma - 02/29/12
Just put this on a Mauser thread and thought some of you may want to see it.

This is a 358 Norma Mag. built on a VZ-24 action.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for looking.

donsm70
Posted By: exbiologist Re: 358 Norma - 02/29/12
Me rikey
Posted By: skidmore700 Re: 358 Norma - 03/17/12
Did Norma stop producing the .358 Norma ammo? It is no longer available or listed on Midway or Graf and Sons websites.
Posted By: exbiologist Re: 358 Norma - 03/17/12
Heads up, my buddy just sent me this:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=277540887
Posted By: donsm70 Re: 358 Norma - 03/17/12
Originally Posted by skidmore700
Did Norma stop producing the .358 Norma ammo? It is no longer available or listed on Midway or Graf and Sons websites.

Yes, they do.

I talked to a Norma Rep. at the SCI show in Vegas this year and asked the same question.

They make the 358 Norma in their Oryx hunting bullet. That is all I see listed in their brochure.

If you say that Midway USA doesn't have it, you might try Black Hills Shooters Supply at www.bhshooters.com or Sinclair International, Inc at www.sinclairint.com

Good luck. Don

Posted By: bearstalker Re: 358 Norma - 03/17/12
Originally Posted by exbiologist

Very nice!
Posted By: SuperCub Re: 358 Norma - 03/24/12
Mild load, but accurate. The new owner gets the same results.

If not for a 375Chatfield-Taylor in the locker, that 358 would still be mine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire