Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
That's a real nice rifle. I like a light rifle with power for hunting. But ya gotta learn to shoot it well when it counts. Some can't. That tight group tells me you know how.

What is a faux Ti exactly? Showing my ignorance here probably.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Exbiologist, that is a sweet gun.

Whelen B, I saw that on your website and got the idea from you, thanks for posting up that information. I am most interested in the 286 gr Nosler and wonder how hard it would be to swage that one down. With some of the new 35 cal bullets out there have you given any thought to updating your 35 cal bullets page on your website?

Gerry.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ex...I am a .35 guy and have a Model 7 KS .350 RM that kicks pretty well with a 220 at 2600 fps... Your gun must smack pretty well... How long is the barrel... If I were to build a .358 NM I would copy yours... Just beautiful.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
J
J
I purchased a 358 Norma Mag last year that is built on a FN Mauser action with a 26� 1 in 12 twist barrel. I haven�t hand loaded for this round yet but I will in the future. Has anybody reloaded or hunted with 275gr PP SN Woodleigh bullets?

Jim
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
60gr of 4895 would be a starting point,,maybe good enough??

I tend to use more than enough gun
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Whelen B, I saw that on your website and got the idea from you, thanks for posting up that information. I am most interested in the 286 gr Nosler and wonder how hard it would be to swage that one down. With some of the new 35 cal bullets out there have you given any thought to updating your 35 cal bullets page on your website?

Tough enough doing conventional cup and core - thru a Lee sizer anyway with a lightweight press.

Website doesn't get enough updating - I'm just too relaxed about that these days. Yes it does need attention as it's out of date. The bullets page might be a good starting place. May not happen soon however. Just a hobby site - no commercial entanglements - so I'm slow on the go grin.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, you do have a good website.

Gerry.

Howdy,
I'm new here but this thread caught my eye.
I just had a custom .358 Norma built on a Remington M1903. Getting decent results with 250 gr. North Forks.

Pretty elite club to join I think.

"This ain't my 1st rodeo..."
Casey Tibbs... St. Joseph's Hospital Emergency Room, Deadwood,S.D.
August 1959

Don't piss down my leg and tell me it's raining.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Welcome to the club Casey!! Here's bull that took a 280 Swift![Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by exbiologist
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Mine was a cheap build, but shot pretty nicely. Rem 700 Action, Douglas #3 barrel, Faux Ti Stock. Weighed 7lbs 2 oz scoped. Pretty stout kick. 2800 plus with 250s.

That's a sweet build. I'm digging that rifle big-time. What's the barrel length? And you kill anything with it?

IC B3

Damn WR... You could make a chair out of each side.

I'd love to get a chance at one of those big guys some day, but at my age the window is narrowing a bit.

How fast you pushin' that 280?

August 1959

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
2500fps,,hard to believe the bullet doesn't bounce off at this pitiful velocity! My 425 Express starts a 350gr at 2350fps and usually comepletely penetrate's most bears and moose even at 200+ yds.

My gunsmith told me that once you go heavier than 250 grains, anything over 2,500 fps. is just showing off...

Nothing wrong with showing off occasionally though.

Last edited by CaseyTibbs; 02/02/12.

August 1959

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I finally found a .358 Norma and ended up getting two in the same week. One right here on the Fire built on a Ruger MKII from velvetant and the second built on an Interarms Mark X.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by skidmore700
I finally found a .358 Norma and ended up getting two in the same week. One right here on the Fire built on a Ruger MKII from velvetant and the second built on an Interarms Mark X.

That gun Velvetant sold is a very nice looking gun you got yourself a great buy, a bunch of us were drooling over that one when he posted it at Noslerreloading.

Last edited by gerrygoat; 02/11/12.

Gerry.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I had seen the picture at Nosler reloading previously and could not believe it when it popped up here for sale. I had to sell two other guns to buy it, but well worth it to me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry about the delays getting back to you guys,I don't normally peruse the big bore forum.
Originally Posted by Whelen_B
That's a real nice rifle. I like a light rifle with power for hunting. But ya gotta learn to shoot it well when it counts. Some can't. That tight group tells me you know how.

What is a faux Ti exactly? Showing my ignorance here probably.

Faux ti just refers using the same B&C stock that Remington used on their Ti Mountain rifles. It can cut almost a pound off a lot of rifles.

Originally Posted by bearstalker

That's a sweet build. I'm digging that rifle big-time. What's the barrel length? And you kill anything with it?

It's 24". Never killed anything with it. Only took it on one elk hunt before selling it to another member here who's done some additional mods to it.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Finally got my "new to me" customized Schultz and Larson 358 Norma Mag out the other day for its first range session. It wears a MPI fiberglass stock, has a matte SS type finish, 24" Hart barrel, and 4x M-8 Leupy scope in Z-rings with weaver bases. Weighs around 9# with sling and magazine full.

I ordered some Redding dies with the tapered expander and as recommended, ran some 300 Win brass through it, trimmed to length and loaded up some 250 gr. Speers with IMR 4350. The chronograph showed 2750fps with 74 gr. of powder and gave me 1.25-1.5" groups with the 4X Scope. I shot 12 rounds off the bench the other day... recoil was very tolerable and no bruising!!!

I was tickled to say the least!!! Look forward to more load developement and messing with some pistol bullets for plinking. I was amazed at all of the interest of other shooters at the range in the Schultz and Larsen platform and the Norma chambering... it was hard to get my shooting done.

I've wanted a battery of Norma Magnums for a long time... kind of a realization of a "dream" for me, still wouldn't mind a mauser variant or custom CF M70! Just thought I'd get my enthusiasm out there!!!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
That sounds like a dandy,,I had some factory Norma's that went 2800fps but when I used 250's 2750 is what I settled on as well. The 250 Speer performed as well as any bullet ever shot out of my rifle!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
waterrat,

Saw a few bears up in your country this summer on a little trip to the Naknek/Katmai area for fishing that I would have loved to "test" it out on. I'm glad they could'nt read my mind because a few were closer than I was really comfortable with... glad they were preoccupied with the sockeye!!! Made me think of the misguided comfort that one guy felt who got eaten in the fall after living "in harmony" with the bears during the summer a few years back.

Changing the subject, the only thing that would make those 250gr. Speers look a little "meaner" is a round nose!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,943
Posts18,480,152
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.