Home
Posted By: GSP814 Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 02/06/13
I have a 9.3 and like it a lot, I bought it for an African Plains Game hunt. I recently came across a nice deal on a SS laminated 375, I doubt that I will ever hunt Cape Buffalo or the other Big 5 animals. The Eland is definately on my hit list. Is there really much difference in these two rounds and should I buy the 375? Thanks.
The 9.3 is a mild recoiling round that performs very well on game, including Eland. It is not thought of as a charge stopper and while it is capable of killing Big Five animals, I do not recommend it as a Big Five round. It is a bushveldt cartridge, meant for shots <200 yards.

The .375 is a bit more powerful than the 9.3, recoils more and shoots flatter. It is more versatile because of it's flatter trajectory.

If you are going to be hunting PG in bushveldt conditions, I would recommend the 9.3. If you will be hunting PG in open country, the .375 will serve you better.

Actually, for PG in open country, I would recommend the .338 Winchester. It shoots flatter than either the 9.3 or .375 and is capable of clean kills on any PG animal out to about 300 yards. I killed a large Eland this past October at 312 yards with my .338.

Posted By: Bighorn Re: Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 02/06/13
You can always load the .375 down a bit, to 9.3 velocities, but it's hard to go the other way......
Posted By: EdM Re: Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 02/06/13
Originally Posted by GSP814
I have a 9.3 and like it a lot, I bought it for an African Plains Game hunt. I recently came across a nice deal on a SS laminated 375, I doubt that I will ever hunt Cape Buffalo or the other Big 5 animals. The Eland is definately on my hit list. Is there really much difference in these two rounds and should I buy the 375? Thanks.

For your needs you are more than fine with the 9.3. So, no.
Posted By: GaryVA Re: Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 02/06/13
You can use the Barsness loads in the 9.3x62 shooting 250-grainers in the 2,650fps range, which shoot ample flat having plenty of downrange energy. Using modern pressures in modern guns, the 9.3x62 has an extreme amount of versatility.
Both are good cartridges that have a lot going for them. Both will also work in a "standard length" action rifle.

I've hunted pretty extensively with the 9.3x62mm, and it is absolutely deadly on plains game. My father, cousin, and I have all taken numerous plains game with the 9.3x62mm and it performed almost perfectly. The cartridge is very accurate and reasonably flat shooting. The 9.3x62mm does meet the legal minimum in many countries for dangerous game, like Zimbabwe. I cleanly killed a cape buffalo and an elephant with it last year using 286gr Swift A-Frames and Woodleigh FMJs. However, I do agree with Winchestermodel70, it is a marginal caliber for dangerous game and you have a small margin of error in a charge situation. I will say that it does not give up much to the .375. If you can't do it with the 9.3x62mm, then you probably can't do it with the .375 either and will need to bring out the heavy artillery.

The .375 Ruger was a great idea and it performs very well in the fied. It does have a slight edge on paper over both the 9.3x62mm and the .375 H&H. But to get that additional muzzle energy, it is loaded to a much higher pressure than either cartridge which correspondingly increases recoil. The only other issue with this cartridge is that it is relatively new, being introduced in 2007 vs 1905 with the 9.3x62mm and 1912 with the .375 H&H. The older 9.3x62mm and .375 H&H have a much wider variety of ammunition available to choose from as a result.

This is just my personal opinion, but if I had to have only one cartridge to hunt with for the rest of my life, I would choose the 9.3x62mm. With the right bullets, it is an extremely effective cartridge on everything from deer all the way up to elephant.
Posted By: GSP814 Re: Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 02/06/13
Thanks guys!
Posted By: 458Win Re: Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 02/06/13
I have used both here in Alaska on our large brown bears and "know" that the 375 has to hit a little " harder" --- but in real practice I have never noticed it.
One advantage the 9.3 does have over the 375 though is an extra two rounds down in the magazine.
Posted By: Fifth Re: Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 02/09/13
Simply from a bullet selection point of view I would opt for the 375. I'm sure your ability to kill would be essentially identical with either.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 02/10/13
Kind uv in the same boat as the OP. I have a 9.3x62 that I build on a Whitworth American Field action, added a 3 position safety and NECG sights. With it I have a very nice walnut stock and a High Tech Specialties composite. Shoots most anything I put in it extremely well.

Been toying with the idea of a 375 Ruger. I n fact I have a #4 Rock Creek SS barrel, a M70 Classic Stainless magnun action, and a McM Hunter inletted for the M70 Classic. Just need to put it all together.

To add to the quandry, I have a M70 Safari 375 H&H, and custom 416 Ruger on a M70 classic action, and a 450/400 NE DR that should be in my hands soon.

With a 'battery' consisting of the 9.3x62, 375 H&H, 450/400 NE and 416 Ruger, I'm having second thoughts on whether I need the 375 Ruger, or for that matter, the 375 H&H. Ultimately the goal is to use one or two of them on a PG/DG safari. At this point I'm thinking about scrapping the 375 Ruger build, and parting with the 375 H&H. For what they might bring I could potentially pay for a good part of the airfare to RSA, or a couple more trophy fees!
Since I started shooting the 9.3x62 over a decade ago I've hardly used my .375 H&H.

Handloaded to modern .30-06 pressure of 60,000 psi, the 9.3x62 will get aroiund 2500 fps with 286-grain bullets and 2650 with 250's. These loads shoot just as flat as 300 and 270-grain loads in the .375 H&H, and kick noticeably less than the .375 H&H and a LOT less than the .375 Ruger, even in my 8-pound rifle.

I've taken a pile of game up to over 1000 pounds in both North America and Africa with the 9.3x62, at ranges out to 300+ yards, and would be perfectly willing to shoot to 400 with the 250-grain load, since it shoots just about as flat as the 180-grain .30-06, which I've used quite a bit at 400+. And as Phil pointed out, the typical 9.3x62 holds 5 rounds in the magazine, not the 3 of either the H&H or Ruger .375.

This doesn't mean I'm going to sell my .375, but the 9.3 sure has cut into the times I hunt with mine.

If it were me, I'd buy it...Actually that's exactly what I did, but only because I've been wanting a 375 H&H for a loooooooong time...However, there's absolutely no need to buy a 375 if you already have a 9.3x62mm....Just remember there's a difference between "want and need".... wink

Oh by the way, my 375H&H (top rifle) holds 4 and my 9.3x62mm holds 5....:
[Linked Image]

You other poor bastids got short changed....."holds 3" coment...
BSA

Your 375 is exactly like mine. I really enjoy that rifle.

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a 9.3x62 for awhile now, but the manuals must be keeping their loadings down to old levels since they don't show an improvement over the 35 Whelen. With Mule Deers velocity it may be worth while to go that route however.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 02/10/13
Did I ever tell you I think you suck?
Yeah, John's load data is good chit but I kind of settled on a stiff charge of RE15 to push 286gr. partitions. It's accurate as hell so I'm skeered to change a thing. I took a nice cow elk with it a few months ago so I know it works good enough for that grin
Originally Posted by ingwe
Did I ever tell you I think you suck?

No, but you've told me I'll smoke a turd in hell...Whatever that means grin whistle....
Posted By: raybass Re: Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 02/10/13
2650 sounds real good to me in a 9.3 with a 250 gr. bullet. Plus the option to go heavy (300+). Nice rifles bsa, I may have to follow a similar path.
..................Based on your comments, you really have no need for a 375 Ruger addition. That is; unless you feel the extra need for it to use as an excuse to buy it, and/or it is such a good deal that it would be difficult to pass up.

If you didn`t already own a 9.3x62, then ballistically of the two, the 375 Ruger would be the better performing choice.
Posted By: GSP814 Re: Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 02/16/13
Guys, thanks for all your help. I have decided not to buy the 375 Ruger and use the 9.3x62 on plains game.

Bob
Guys, thanks for all your help. I have decided not to buy the 375 Ruger and use the 9.3x62 on plains game.

Bob

Let us know how it works out for you. I really enjoy the hell out of my 9.3..Good luck too!!
I love my 9.3x62 and blame John entirely for my acquiring it.
Posted By: kutenay Re: Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 03/09/13
Funny, an old "working" cartridge, originally designed to build inexpensive, functional and practical rifles for colonists in "Darkest Africa", which, we are told, actually did all and more then it was intended to, is now the "hot" round among those who, usually, can afford and do buy about any rifle/chambering, that they desire......

Almost every serious rifle nut I know here in BC, and that is a considerable number now owns or is getting a 9.3x62 and a few also have the more powerful Brenneke version as well as the rimmed 74mm one. I cannot recall, in my now 55 years of shooting, ANY crartidge becoming as popular among genuinely knowledgable shooters/hunters in only a few years.

I now have four fine rifles so chambered and have sold three others as my advancing age and wife's serious medical issues motivate me to slowly sell off my gun collection. I tend to carry a "medium bore" rifle, when working in the bush or solo hunting and I can see a time when I will a 9,3 or two and a Grouse gun and just do my "geezer" hunting so armed...and, be quite content with this choice.
Posted By: rogn Re: Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 03/09/13
Well, that keeps the extra money in your pocket and if at some future date you need to pick up 0.009" you can still buy that rifle at that time. Being a tad more impulsive and "wanting" a 375, I got one a couple of years ago. If Id had a 9.3, Id probably do as you have. Yours is still a good decision.
Originally Posted by BigUglyMan
I love my 9.3x62 and blame John entirely for my acquiring it.

Mine's probably a lot like John's rifle but I don't blame him for me buying it. I blame the old guy that sold it to me cry....He's also a gun rag writer and has actually used my rifle in Africa a time or two...Damn good cartridge and the CZ550 doesn't have any flies on it as far as I'm concerned...
I havent been to Africa yet, IMHO anyone doubting the 320 Woodleighs in the 9.3x62 at 2400 fps musta picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue. grin

At only 50 thou smaller in dia and 80 grs lighter, it mirrors the vaunted .416 400 gr load at 2400 fps, one of, if not the best penetrating load/loads [soft/solid] ever developed.

I have shot a few head of dead cattle with my load, IT IS A STRAIGHT LINE PLOW, no doubt about it for me.

And where legal, I'd be glad to use it on Cape, Water, or Bison buffalo, then fill a nice bag of plains game.

Gunner

Posted By: Dave93 Re: Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 03/10/13
I think the one guy at the root of the 9.3 popularity is Chub Eastman, He wrote at least two good articles on the 93's before the real boom ( so to speak ) started. Of course, part of the popularity is how well the various 93 cartridges work, and have worked for so many years.
Originally Posted by Dave93
I think the one guy at the root of the 9.3 popularity is Chub Eastman, He wrote at least two good articles on the 93's before the real boom ( so to speak ) started. Of course, part of the popularity is how well the various 93 cartridges work, and have worked for so many years.

That's what John says when accused of bring the 9.3 to the forefront. He's quick to give Chub all the credit, but I guess Hillary was right when she wrote, "It Takes a Village"... shocked

I've read a lot more JB stuff than any others on the 9.3. I had heard of Chub Eastman, just never read his 9.3 work. So, John can't dodge all the blame... cool

DF
I've been reading about various 9.3's most of my life. JB just made it easier to make the move to get one.
Posted By: Dave93 Re: Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 03/11/13
Finn Aagaard had a great article on the 9,3x62 also.........soooo, Finn, Chub, and JB all take the blame for 9.3 addiction. grin
Originally Posted by gunner500
I havent been to Africa yet, IMHO anyone doubting the 320 Woodleighs in the 9.3x62 at 2400 fps musta picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue. grin

At only 50 thou smaller in dia and 80 grs lighter, it mirrors the vaunted .416 400 gr load at 2400 fps, one of, if not the best penetrating load/loads [soft/solid] ever developed.

I have shot a few head of dead cattle with my load, IT IS A STRAIGHT LINE PLOW, no doubt about it for me.

And where legal, I'd be glad to use it on Cape, Water, or Bison buffalo, then fill a nice bag of plains game.

Gunner

Gunner,

Leave it to you to turn a mild mannered, great shooting round into a mini-.416 Rigby... shocked

But how many Okie Ranchers tool around their property, busting rocks and other targets of opportunity with a .505 Gibbs...?

You just ain't right, dude... laugh

DF
DF, I rely on the infinite wisdom of posters here at the 'fire such as yourself to tell me something I dont know. shocked eek laugh

Hole-diggin armydillers and a 500 nitro are fun too. grin

Gunner
Gunner,

I've had the pleasure of shooting a Merkel .500NE, helped a good bud reload for one. Never touched off a .505 Gibbs. Agree with the .500 being good 'diller medicine. Gibbs could be overkill, if there is such a thing. Dead is dead regardless how it happened.

DF
The Gibbs running the 600 gr Woodleighs at 2450 is a real boot, I've backed them down to a more sane and sedate 2200 fps, not so bad at all.

The Merkels are some fine little rifles, my 500 Nitro was built by Alfred Schilling on a Merkel action, lovely little rifles indeed.

Gunner
Originally Posted by gunner500
The Gibbs running the 600 gr Woodleighs at 2450 is a real boot, I've backed them down to a more sane and sedate 2200 fps, not so bad at all.
Gunner

Sounds like you're getting soft in your old age...!

DF
No, the 600 gr Woodleighs at 2450 are, they'll make ya a nice lookin copper and lead pancake at those speeds grin, at 2150/2200 their purty descent plows.

Gunner
That's the old addage of soft bullets being upset by too much velocity, resulting in less penetration.

The old timers shot their .404J's and similar at around that speed, evidently with good results. Then those rounds were bumped to 2,400 or so, presumably using slightly tougher bullets for more knock down power.

Pushing the 9.3x62 to 2,600+ fps, bullets like the 250 NAB and 250 TSX come into their own. Same idea with the various .375's.

DF
Posted By: CZ550 Re: Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 03/13/13
As Kutenay pointed out, the 9.3 X 62 is VERY popular in B.C. And, as I've researched this fine cartridge in the past few years, I've discovered it has been a favorite, if not overly popular, rifle in Canada for at least a-half century, especially across the North where larger, sometimes dangerous game are encountered.

There's a fellow from the Yukon who posts on here and has made a name for himself in using and promoting the 9.3 X 62 for over thirty years! Due to his posting on a favorite Canadian forum, and killing a large grizzly in the Yukon last year with one of his, including pics and load, there is no rifle-cartridge for larger/dangerous game in Canada that is more popular! Just about everyone from coast to coast is making a run on them and they are getting scarcer by the minute!

My own opinion is, after a couple of years use, that it is about as ideal as it gets for a one rifle/cartridge do-it-all kind of thing... and I've come to that conclusion after owning, handloading for and using many medium-bore rifles, including .338s, .358s and .375s. It literally will do it all... IF the shooter knows what he is doing!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca
Originally Posted by CZ550
As Kutenay pointed out, the 9.3 X 62 is VERY popular in B.C. And, as I've researched this fine cartridge in the past few years, I've discovered it has been a favorite, if not overly popular, rifle in Canada for at least a-half century, especially across the North where larger, sometimes dangerous game are encountered.

There's a fellow from the Yukon who posts on here and has made a name for himself in using and promoting the 9.3 X 62 for over thirty years! Due to his posting on a favorite Canadian forum, and killing a large grizzly in the Yukon last year with one of his, including pics and load, there is no rifle-cartridge for larger/dangerous game in Canada that is more popular! Just about everyone from coast to coast is making a run on them and they are getting scarcer by the minute!

My own opinion is, after a couple of years use, that it is about as ideal as it gets for a one rifle/cartridge do-it-all kind of thing... and I've come to that conclusion after owning, handloading for and using many medium-bore rifles, including .338s, .358s and .375s. It literally will do it all... IF the shooter knows what he is doing!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

I was in wholehearted agreement until I got down to the 375 part. grin.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Gunner,

I've had the pleasure of shooting a Merkel .500NE, helped a good bud reload for one. Never touched off a .505 Gibbs. Agree with the .500 being good 'diller medicine. Gibbs could be overkill, if there is such a thing. Dead is dead regardless how it happened.

DF

Gunner might as well just run them down with his pick up. Probably about the same ft lbs of force but easier on the shoulder cry laugh whistle
www.bigbores.ca

That guy is as bad as John, Finn or Chub!
Posted By: Dresden Re: Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 04/08/13
Buy the 375, I have two 9.3x62's , and two 416's I would love a 375 Ruger, properly loaded it would be a pleasant gun to shoot
Bob, Ted is the reason for my LH Win 70 9.3 X 62 he gave me a cartridge and told me all about it, then it set the spark and I had to have one!

I also like the the big Yukon canoes because of Ted! Kurt
Posted By: RedElk Re: Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 04/10/13
I suppose I am a newbie...at least to the 9.3x62. I just put one together on a McMillan stock. Husqvarna 98 action and barrel. It is really a pleasant rifle to shoot compared to my .375 H&H. I think I will restock the .375 and see if it improves, but it hammers me compared to the 9.3x62.
I will be working in SE Alaska, on Chitchagof Island, and wanted something I felt comfortable with. I think I may have found it. While it does not leave you wondering if you pulled the trigger, it is reasonable and manageable. I can see why it is so popular.
I can't wait to anchor some game with it. I wonder now why I waited to so long to get one. It would make a very nice elk, deer, and black bear rifle, down here in Idaho, as well.
I would very much like any suggestions on potential scoping arrangements for the rifle, currently I am just using iron sights.
Thanks.
re
Posted By: GSP814 Re: Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 04/12/13
Red--my Ruger African in 9.3x62 wears a Leupold VX3 3.5x10x40, a very nice set up.
Not taking anything away from the 9,3 but how they can ever compare it to the .375 H&H not to mention the Ruger is beyond me.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 04/12/13
Originally Posted by KMG
Not taking anything away from the 9,3 but how they can ever compare it to the .375 H&H not to mention the Ruger is beyond me.

As I've said before- it's easy to download the .375's to 9.3 velocities, darn near impossible to go the other way, safely.
The 9.3 has always seemed to me to be a .375 wannabee. If it were so great, it would be the African all-around cartridge, not the .375.

I think folks like 'em cause the cartridge head has a whole lot of numbers, with a period and an X.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 04/12/13
If you want or need a 375, buy the Ruger. If you want a big gun with nostalgia, get the 9.3x62 as it was justifiably popular for large dangerous game before the 375 H&H. grin

I have, use and like all three rounds and the difference in the field between any of them is academic.
Posted By: CZ550 Re: Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 04/13/13
But... such wisdom and experience is not what forum members want to hear Phil! wink

Bob

www.bigbores.ca
I've killed big things with a 9,3, a 375, and a 416.

They all ended up the same degree of dead. whistle
Originally Posted by KMG

Would you explain why you think so? Im not challenging your opinion. I just want to understand it.
Posted By: kutenay Re: Ruger 9.3x62 vs Ruger 375 - 04/16/13
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

I was in wholehearted agreement until I got down to the 375 part. grin.

I actually consider the 9.3x62 a "better" choice for BC situations for most people and for very practical reasons.

I think that, for a serious big game hunter, with an orientation to trophies, the two "best" rounds offered commercially are the .308Norma and the .338WM, my lifelong favourite. This is really "splitting hairs" and fine blonde ones at that, but, it is my opinion, not worth much, but, WTH.

Where the 9.3 really shines, IMO, is in doing the type of bush work that I did, by choice, for many years-and wish I were still engaged in- as it is so easy to load for, shoot well due to less perceived recoil and seems to be as accurate in hunting rifles as any other round I have used/shot.

My much-loved Brno ZG-47 rifles factory chambered for the oldtimer, weigh around 8 lbs, scoped, in Micky Edge handles and hold FIVE rounds. With my loads, derived from my favourite gunscribe, well, he and Phil Shoemaker, our buddy here, MD, and are far more accurate than I can now hold. They are reliable, as Mauser 98 types are and very pleasant to carry and shoot, so, they REALLY work.

The .375 H&H is so justly famous that it hardly needs an old grumpy geezer like me to add to it's luster and I have two fine rifles so chambered. But, a rifle in .375 tends to be a bit heavy for packing in the mountains and most hold, at max, only four cartridges.

To me, then, since the excellent "short" mags, the .338WM, the .358NM and so on, also have this issue as offered in commercial rifles that are all most hunters can afford, the 9,3 makes a LOT of sense.

Actually, a pair of Mausers, such as an Oberndorf 1933 "Postal" action and a G-33/40, chambered in the old 9.3x62 and the even more hoary 7x57 or 6.5x55 are as fine a choice for any hunting I have ever done or wish to do as a man can obtain and all of these are easy to shoot, load for and have "reps" based on long successful use....which,is why, with four fine rifles in 7x57 and as many in 9,3, I REALLY NEED a 6.5x55 or two.....we all know that, eh! smile
© 24hourcampfire