24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Buy the 375, I have two 9.3x62's , and two 416's I would love a 375 Ruger, properly loaded it would be a pleasant gun to shoot

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Bob, Ted is the reason for my LH Win 70 9.3 X 62 he gave me a cartridge and told me all about it, then it set the spark and I had to have one!

I also like the the big Yukon canoes because of Ted! Kurt

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I suppose I am a newbie...at least to the 9.3x62. I just put one together on a McMillan stock. Husqvarna 98 action and barrel. It is really a pleasant rifle to shoot compared to my .375 H&H. I think I will restock the .375 and see if it improves, but it hammers me compared to the 9.3x62.
I will be working in SE Alaska, on Chitchagof Island, and wanted something I felt comfortable with. I think I may have found it. While it does not leave you wondering if you pulled the trigger, it is reasonable and manageable. I can see why it is so popular.
I can't wait to anchor some game with it. I wonder now why I waited to so long to get one. It would make a very nice elk, deer, and black bear rifle, down here in Idaho, as well.
I would very much like any suggestions on potential scoping arrangements for the rifle, currently I am just using iron sights.
Thanks.
re

Beware the man with one gun, for he likely knows how to use it...
G
GSP814 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Red--my Ruger African in 9.3x62 wears a Leupold VX3 3.5x10x40, a very nice set up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not taking anything away from the 9,3 but how they can ever compare it to the .375 H&H not to mention the Ruger is beyond me.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by KMG
Not taking anything away from the 9,3 but how they can ever compare it to the .375 H&H not to mention the Ruger is beyond me.

As I've said before- it's easy to download the .375's to 9.3 velocities, darn near impossible to go the other way, safely.
The 9.3 has always seemed to me to be a .375 wannabee. If it were so great, it would be the African all-around cartridge, not the .375.

I think folks like 'em cause the cartridge head has a whole lot of numbers, with a period and an X.

Last edited by Bighorn; 04/12/13.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want or need a 375, buy the Ruger. If you want a big gun with nostalgia, get the 9.3x62 as it was justifiably popular for large dangerous game before the 375 H&H. grin

I have, use and like all three rounds and the difference in the field between any of them is academic.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
But... such wisdom and experience is not what forum members want to hear Phil! wink

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've killed big things with a 9,3, a 375, and a 416.

They all ended up the same degree of dead. whistle

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by KMG

Would you explain why you think so? Im not challenging your opinion. I just want to understand it.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by CZ550
As Kutenay pointed out, the 9.3 X 62 is VERY popular in B.C. And, as I've researched this fine cartridge in the past few years, I've discovered it has been a favorite, if not overly popular, rifle in Canada for at least a-half century, especially across the North where larger, sometimes dangerous game are encountered.

There's a fellow from the Yukon who posts on here and has made a name for himself in using and promoting the 9.3 X 62 for over thirty years! Due to his posting on a favorite Canadian forum, and killing a large grizzly in the Yukon last year with one of his, including pics and load, there is no rifle-cartridge for larger/dangerous game in Canada that is more popular! Just about everyone from coast to coast is making a run on them and they are getting scarcer by the minute!

My own opinion is, after a couple of years use, that it is about as ideal as it gets for a one rifle/cartridge do-it-all kind of thing... and I've come to that conclusion after owning, handloading for and using many medium-bore rifles, including .338s, .358s and .375s. It literally will do it all... IF the shooter knows what he is doing!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

I was in wholehearted agreement until I got down to the 375 part. grin.

I actually consider the 9.3x62 a "better" choice for BC situations for most people and for very practical reasons.

I think that, for a serious big game hunter, with an orientation to trophies, the two "best" rounds offered commercially are the .308Norma and the .338WM, my lifelong favourite. This is really "splitting hairs" and fine blonde ones at that, but, it is my opinion, not worth much, but, WTH.

Where the 9.3 really shines, IMO, is in doing the type of bush work that I did, by choice, for many years-and wish I were still engaged in- as it is so easy to load for, shoot well due to less perceived recoil and seems to be as accurate in hunting rifles as any other round I have used/shot.

My much-loved Brno ZG-47 rifles factory chambered for the oldtimer, weigh around 8 lbs, scoped, in Micky Edge handles and hold FIVE rounds. With my loads, derived from my favourite gunscribe, well, he and Phil Shoemaker, our buddy here, MD, and are far more accurate than I can now hold. They are reliable, as Mauser 98 types are and very pleasant to carry and shoot, so, they REALLY work.

The .375 H&H is so justly famous that it hardly needs an old grumpy geezer like me to add to it's luster and I have two fine rifles so chambered. But, a rifle in .375 tends to be a bit heavy for packing in the mountains and most hold, at max, only four cartridges.

To me, then, since the excellent "short" mags, the .338WM, the .358NM and so on, also have this issue as offered in commercial rifles that are all most hunters can afford, the 9,3 makes a LOT of sense.

Actually, a pair of Mausers, such as an Oberndorf 1933 "Postal" action and a G-33/40, chambered in the old 9.3x62 and the even more hoary 7x57 or 6.5x55 are as fine a choice for any hunting I have ever done or wish to do as a man can obtain and all of these are easy to shoot, load for and have "reps" based on long successful use....which,is why, with four fine rifles in 7x57 and as many in 9,3, I REALLY NEED a 6.5x55 or two.....we all know that, eh! smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

430 members (1Longbow, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 163bc, 37 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,331
Posts18,526,672
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.