Home
Posted By: wabigoon Liver, and Onions? - 10/04/20
My way is alright, a friend does it right. What is your way?
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/04/20

Baby beef liver, onions, salt & pepper fried in bacon grease in an iron skillet.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/04/20
Jack, no flour?
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/04/20
Beef liver fried in either coconut oil,olive oil along with butter or bacon grease with onions and a dash of garlic powder on the onions. Oh,and the liver is dredged in flour.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/04/20

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS Rio7
Posted By: Muffin Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/04/20
With just a hint of pink....................
Posted By: bucktail Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/04/20
Put the liver on a hook. Catch channel cat pull skin off with pliers. Cut out lateral line bread fry eat.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/05/20
I worked with a guy that made some killer calf liver boiled in some broth, and dipped into some sauce. Very tasty.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/05/20
What elkhunter described. And served with mashed potatoes and pan gravy.
Posted By: sse Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/05/20
not a fan but do like chicken liver when used as an ingredient
Posted By: sse Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/05/20
my bud loves venison liver, not a fan
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/05/20

Originally Posted by wabigoon
Jack, no flour?

No flour.
Cook up liver n onions. Throw in the trash. Order a pizza.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/06/20
I soak liver in milk for 20 minutes or so first, then flour and fry in bacon grease.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/06/20
I like chicken livers. Any other I would have to be really hungry to eat. Tastes too much like vomit.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/06/20
I smell liver and onions, and I want to puke.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/06/20

Chicken livers, hearts and onions seasoned with salt & pepper and sautéed in olive oil and white wine is a favorite.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/06/20
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Chicken livers, hearts and onions seasoned with salt & pepper and sautéed in olive oil and white wine is a favorite.

This sounds good. Will have to try that.
Posted By: CWT Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/06/20
Lightly floured calf liver fried with onions and more heavily breaded chicken livers fried in a pan is one of the most enjoyable meals one can have. Include mashed taters, gravy, and some garden peas and it is a gourmet meal for kings.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/07/20
Venison liver. Caramelize red onion and bacon, remove. Slice liver 3/8" and dredge lightly in seasoned flour. Add oil or butter to pan as needed and fry fairly quick and a bit of red in the center. The worst liver is an over cooked one.

Chicken. Buy whole bird and trim fat. Fry fat in small cast iron skillet with just salt until its a cracklin snack. With rendered chicken fat, toss in the giblets and neck. More salt and don't cook it naked!
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/07/20
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Beef liver fried in either coconut oil,olive oil along with butter or bacon grease with onions and a dash of garlic powder on the onions. Oh,and the liver is dredged in flour.

This ! grin

Lynn
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/07/20
Originally Posted by CWT
Lightly floured calf liver fried with onions and more heavily breaded chicken livers fried in a pan is one of the most enjoyable meals one can have. Include mashed taters, gravy, and some garden peas and it is a gourmet meal for kings.

Now we're talking !!!
Posted By: pete53 Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/07/20
i like pork liver better but will eat beef or fawn deer liver too,sliced about 3/8 of an inch and soaked in milk over nite, then floured and cooked in a hot cast iron skillet with plenty bacon grease and a bunch of sliced onions,salt,pepper. maybe another cast iron skillet cooking tatoes and onions in bacon grease too and some fresh homemade bread or buns then buttered . a great meal for a peon like me, but 1st thing before i eat this fine meal a few cold Bush lite beers and a game or two of cribbage hopefully with my son or wife ? after this fine meal a slice of fresh hot apple pie with a big scoop of of ice cream ! a shower ,fool around with my wife > i will sleep like a baby !
Posted By: sse Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/07/20
i always loved the smell of calves liver while my mother cooked it on the stove, the taste/texture not so much
Posted By: Mesa Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/07/20
Higado encebollado, which is just calf liver with LOTS of onions breaded with fine-ground corn flour, fried LIGHTLY in lard, and simmered slowly with mild green chiles. Fresh tortillas and Negra Modelo required on side.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/08/20
Sounds good.

Love liver and onions.

Went in one of our c-stores, when I was delivering fuel,
And microwaved my lunch.

Liver and onions and Brussel Sprouts.

Those ladies working there were quite pissed off.

About a half hour later, after I unloaded, the place still stunk.
Posted By: grdad45 Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/08/20
I love it, but my gout doesn't! That said, I will push the envelope occasionally and partake of either calves' liver floured and fried or chicken livers double dredged and deep fried.
Posted By: Sig220 Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/09/20
I tried frying up the prettiest venison liver I had ever seen. Just could not eat it.

The only liver and onions I enjoy eating, is the one I get at a local "Luby's". It is dredged in flour and fried. I add a dash or two of French Dressing to it and love it. If I ever shoot a younger deer with a clean, pretty liver I may try cooking it up again.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/09/20
Originally Posted by Sig220
I tried frying up the prettiest venison liver I had ever seen. Just could not eat it.

The only liver and onions I enjoy eating, is the one I get at a local "Luby's". It is dredged in flour and fried. I add a dash or two of French Dressing to it and love it. If I ever shoot a younger deer with a clean, pretty liver I may try cooking it up again.

Was it the taste?? Smell?? Or just the idea of a 'wild' liver, and not store bought????
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/09/20
I love the liver and onions that is the lunch special on Thursdays at Uwe's, a local German restaurant. I make my own from calf liver by rinsing in water, then dredging twice through flour seasoned with Lowry's seasoned pepper, sea salt, and smoked paprika. The slices are about 3/16 - 1/4" thick and fried in olive oil about 3 minutes on each side. I saute sweet onions separately in butter then place on top of the liver. Add some fried potatoes (little cubes) and some mixed veges and it makes a yummy lunch or supper.
Posted By: mathman Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/09/20
Liver and onions? It's a waste of good onions.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/09/20
[quote=diamondjim]I soak liver in milk for 20 minutes or so first, then flour and fry in bacon grease. [ed/quote]

That's exactly how I do it too! Although the wife would never touch it no matter how it was fixed.

More for me!

In fact, I just had my meat market slice up ten or so pounds for me just the other day. Sliced from a big frozen chunk at a half inch thick. that way when it thaws, it comes out at about 3/8 thick. Perfect for frying till it's pink in the middle.

I think I paid less than twenty bucks for that ten pounds.
Posted By: Sig220 Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/13/20
Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by Sig220

Was it the taste?? Smell?? Or just the idea of a 'wild' liver, and not store bought????

I really am not sure now, that was several years ago. I think it was the texture. I will try it again, if I shoot the right deer. I think I will soak it, dredge it in flour and then fry it up....with onions of course. smile
Posted By: Morewood Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/13/20
Originally Posted by pete53
i like pork liver better but will eat beef or fawn deer liver too,sliced about 3/8 of an inch and soaked in milk over nite, then floured and cooked in a hot cast iron skillet with plenty bacon grease and a bunch of sliced onions,salt,pepper. maybe another cast iron skillet cooking tatoes and onions in bacon grease too and some fresh homemade bread or buns then buttered . a great meal for a peon like me, but 1st thing before i eat this fine meal a few cold Bush lite beers and a game or two of cribbage hopefully with my son or wife ? after this fine meal a slice of fresh hot apple pie with a big scoop of of ice cream ! a shower ,fool around with my wife > i will sleep like a baby !

Now here is a MAN with a PLAN!

right on

I wouldn't give a nickle for a truckload of it.

Funny because I love old fashioned, homemade German Braunschweiger.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/14/20
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

... I love old fashioned, homemade German Braunschweiger.

+1
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/18/20
Tonight, forgot the onions(blush).[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/18/20

Originally Posted by wabigoon
Tonight, forgot the onions(blush).[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ketchup?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/18/20
Yup. blush
Posted By: mathman Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/18/20
At least it ain't on a hot dog.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/18/20
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Venison liver. Caramelize red onion and bacon, remove. Slice liver 3/8" and dredge lightly in seasoned flour. Add oil or butter to pan as needed and fry fairly quick and a bit of red in the center. The worst liver is an over cooked one.

Chicken. Buy whole bird and trim fat. Fry fat in small cast iron skillet with just salt until its a cracklin snack. With rendered chicken fat, toss in the giblets and neck. More salt and don't cook it naked!

Absolutely agree there calicooknic.

I've sent it back at restaurants and told them I don't eat shoe leather.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Liver, and Onions? - 10/18/20
Mom cooked ours like a lot of you folks, just dredged in milk and flour. Thing is, she never ate it. Only cooked it for the old man, and later me, and even later the youngest brother.

I've adapted it somewhat. Dredged in flour, then egg/milk mixture, then in Italian style bread crumbs, then fried in fat of the sort that is handy at the time. Bacon grease preferred.

Lots of onions.

My wife hates it like my mom did, so it's a special thing for me and the dogs when she's away.
© 24hourcampfire