Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Beef liver fried in either coconut oil,olive oil along with butter or bacon grease with onions and a dash of garlic powder on the onions. Oh,and the liver is dredged in flour.

This ! grin

Lynn

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CWT
Lightly floured calf liver fried with onions and more heavily breaded chicken livers fried in a pan is one of the most enjoyable meals one can have. Include mashed taters, gravy, and some garden peas and it is a gourmet meal for kings.

Now we're talking !!!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i like pork liver better but will eat beef or fawn deer liver too,sliced about 3/8 of an inch and soaked in milk over nite, then floured and cooked in a hot cast iron skillet with plenty bacon grease and a bunch of sliced onions,salt,pepper. maybe another cast iron skillet cooking tatoes and onions in bacon grease too and some fresh homemade bread or buns then buttered . a great meal for a peon like me, but 1st thing before i eat this fine meal a few cold Bush lite beers and a game or two of cribbage hopefully with my son or wife ? after this fine meal a slice of fresh hot apple pie with a big scoop of of ice cream ! a shower ,fool around with my wife > i will sleep like a baby !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i always loved the smell of calves liver while my mother cooked it on the stove, the taste/texture not so much

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Higado encebollado, which is just calf liver with LOTS of onions breaded with fine-ground corn flour, fried LIGHTLY in lard, and simmered slowly with mild green chiles. Fresh tortillas and Negra Modelo required on side.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds good.

Love liver and onions.

Went in one of our c-stores, when I was delivering fuel,
And microwaved my lunch.

Liver and onions and Brussel Sprouts.

Those ladies working there were quite pissed off.

About a half hour later, after I unloaded, the place still stunk.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I love it, but my gout doesn't! That said, I will push the envelope occasionally and partake of either calves' liver floured and fried or chicken livers double dredged and deep fried.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I tried frying up the prettiest venison liver I had ever seen. Just could not eat it.

The only liver and onions I enjoy eating, is the one I get at a local "Luby's". It is dredged in flour and fried. I add a dash or two of French Dressing to it and love it. If I ever shoot a younger deer with a clean, pretty liver I may try cooking it up again.

Last edited by Sig220; 10/08/20.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Sig220
I tried frying up the prettiest venison liver I had ever seen. Just could not eat it.

The only liver and onions I enjoy eating, is the one I get at a local "Luby's". It is dredged in flour and fried. I add a dash or two of French Dressing to it and love it. If I ever shoot a younger deer with a clean, pretty liver I may try cooking it up again.

Was it the taste?? Smell?? Or just the idea of a 'wild' liver, and not store bought????

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love the liver and onions that is the lunch special on Thursdays at Uwe's, a local German restaurant. I make my own from calf liver by rinsing in water, then dredging twice through flour seasoned with Lowry's seasoned pepper, sea salt, and smoked paprika. The slices are about 3/16 - 1/4" thick and fried in olive oil about 3 minutes on each side. I saute sweet onions separately in butter then place on top of the liver. Add some fried potatoes (little cubes) and some mixed veges and it makes a yummy lunch or supper.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Liver and onions? It's a waste of good onions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=diamondjim]I soak liver in milk for 20 minutes or so first, then flour and fry in bacon grease. [ed/quote]

That's exactly how I do it too! Although the wife would never touch it no matter how it was fixed.

More for me!

In fact, I just had my meat market slice up ten or so pounds for me just the other day. Sliced from a big frozen chunk at a half inch thick. that way when it thaws, it comes out at about 3/8 thick. Perfect for frying till it's pink in the middle.

I think I paid less than twenty bucks for that ten pounds.

Last edited by Kenlguy; 10/08/20.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by Sig220

Was it the taste?? Smell?? Or just the idea of a 'wild' liver, and not store bought????

I really am not sure now, that was several years ago. I think it was the texture. I will try it again, if I shoot the right deer. I think I will soak it, dredge it in flour and then fry it up....with onions of course. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53
i like pork liver better but will eat beef or fawn deer liver too,sliced about 3/8 of an inch and soaked in milk over nite, then floured and cooked in a hot cast iron skillet with plenty bacon grease and a bunch of sliced onions,salt,pepper. maybe another cast iron skillet cooking tatoes and onions in bacon grease too and some fresh homemade bread or buns then buttered . a great meal for a peon like me, but 1st thing before i eat this fine meal a few cold Bush lite beers and a game or two of cribbage hopefully with my son or wife ? after this fine meal a slice of fresh hot apple pie with a big scoop of of ice cream ! a shower ,fool around with my wife > i will sleep like a baby !

Now here is a MAN with a PLAN!

right on

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

I wouldn't give a nickle for a truckload of it.

Funny because I love old fashioned, homemade German Braunschweiger.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

... I love old fashioned, homemade German Braunschweiger.

+1

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Tonight, forgot the onions(blush).[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by wabigoon
Tonight, forgot the onions(blush).[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ketchup?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Yup. blush

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
At least it ain't on a hot dog.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (35, Akhutr, 338reddog, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,425 guests, and 812 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,875
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.