Home
Wife is planning a family gathering of about 25 folks. Have a well marbled 16 lb brisket in the freezer. Plan is to slow cook it, barbecue, then shred. Will the 16lb brisket be sufficient for 25 folks given that we will have plenty of fixings and sides to go with it? Or, do I need to come up with more protein to put on the table?

Please and Thank you...
I'd say your fine, even if cooked weight is 12 lbs, that's still almost 1/2 lb per person.

With Rolls? Bread will stretch it even farther.
i always plan on 1/2 lb of cooked meat per adult and always have plenty. question is how much will that 16 render down to? pork shoulder is about half. if it were my shindig, i'd probably have some sausage or something if for nothing other than variety.
Should be fine, unless you got a bunch of country appetites ...

Slaw, potatoes, onions and pickles, and good bread will stretch it as others have said.
About 5!
Yep. The rendering is my main concern. I’m going to go ahead and get some brats, metts and dogs for the kids and for finger food.

Thank you !
I know each man will eat at least 1/2#. How big are the ladies that are coming? That'll answer your question.
If you serve them or they serve themselves will make a big difference in how many it will serve. I think you are fine by the time you add sides. Put the brisket at the far end of the table, let them load up on sides first.
I always have leftovers but to me fatty meat like bbq warms back up good. So I would cook a butt or some ribs to while you have the cooker all fired up anyway. I too think you probably have enough meat but for piece of mind and good leftover meals I’d add to it. We really like the leftovers for nachos pizza omelets wraps etc. we probably also eat a little more than we should.
I'd also throw a pork butt on while the cooker was hot.
You should have enough. I hate to run out, so I always make too much. It freezes well, if I can keep the wifey from giving it away.
if you're having kids i would definitely have burgers or dogs or something. nothing like watching some kid grab a giant slice of brisket and then leave it half eaten. i learned that with the first graduation party i hosted. i had it down to a science by the time all my kids were graduated.
If your shredding it should be fine. When I did catering jobs I always figured 5 lbs. of cooked pulled pork fed 12-15 when you have sides. Chopped brisket shouldn't be much different. One tip is to not buy the large "premium" buns. People tend to overfill them and you'll end up with a bunch in the trash. If people want more than one just let them come back for another. As you said a lot of men can eat 8 oz., but I think you'll find women and kids average around 3-4 oz.
Throw some red skin weinnies on for the kids.

Smokes sausage ( conecuh brand for the win.) for appetizers.

Brisket and side fixings for the main grub.
when i cook a brisket low and slow i slice my briskets i cooked ,i just can`t bring myself to shred the tasty brisket i smoked and cooked all day anymore , good meat should be sliced after its cooked .
Originally Posted by pete53
when i cook a brisket low and slow i slice my briskets i cooked ,i just can`t bring myself to shred the tasty brisket i smoked and cooked all day anymore , good meat should be sliced after its cooked .

shred brisket is for overcooked brisket. Slice is done right
I'm with pete53 and pullit. It would kill me to shred a brisket. Still, 16 pounds should be enough for your group even sliced. There were other good suggestions too, like don't put out huge rolls and having something other than brisket for kids. Good luck and enjoy!
I would thin slice it and not shred

Smoke a bologna roll and or some wings as a appetizer. Which will decrease how big there eyes are when they hit the brisket

Small buns not the big boys

Good sides will help

16lb should be enough with the other items
It will be enough with rolls and sides, mesquite is best cooking wood, pecan second.
Will there be any transplanted Cajuns among the diners?
Is that the weight after trimming? A 16# untrimmed brisket could come down to 11#'s easily and then lower yet after the remaining fat renders.
Shredded brisket? At these prices?

I would be doing pork shoulders or chuck roasts.
Orion used term well marbled. To someone who does this for a living that means low yield. 25 people? All adults? Ratio of men to women, also age group? What meal is this going to be? Everyone brought up some questions like what else are you serving? Are there any appetizers? I think you are going to ok if you do get other things like you said. And hey when it’s all it’s all!! Lol. Btw what time should we be over?
ya a "well marbled" brisket usually means half of it is soap bar tallow from what i have seen up here in the great white north. not exactly a bbq mecca around here.
© 24hourcampfire