Home
I have been salmon fishing and eating salmon for over 40 years and I have caught and eaten every type of salmon in North America and cooked them in every way possible way, including the Dish Washer method.

I saw this method a few weeks ago and decided to give it ago, and it is the best way to pan-sear salmon. Super Juice, and absolutely delicious.

If you try it, make sure to take the temp of the outer pieces in the pan first as they seem to cook faster then the ones in the middle. As soon as the internal temperature reaches 125 F, take it out of the pan.

Who would have thought that cooking in a cold pan to start without any butter or oils would taste so amazing and be so perfectly cooked and delicious EVERY TIME?

Even the skin is super crispy and delicious, if you try it let me know how it worked out for you. I have been cooking Farmed Atlantic Salmon this way. I will only cook my salmon this way in the future.

Enjoy cool

What it looks like finished

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
good looking plate of food.
I can't eat fish but damn that looks good.
Tag
Did you do anything to liven up the rice?
Originally Posted by mathman
Did you do anything to liven up the rice?

I poached the Asparagus for 3 minutes in boiling salted water, then I finished cooking them in a butter/lemon sauce. I poured the butter/lemon sauce from the Asparagus over the rice.

Really simple dinner but amazing, so good that I just ordered 10 Atlantic Salmon filets from a wholesaler where I am from and will be eating salmon this way twice a week. cool
We eat a lot of salmon, I guess I'll have to try this out soon.
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
We eat a lot of salmon, I guess I'll have to try this out soon.

Like me you have eaten a ton of salmon, you will be very happy, please let us know how it turns out cool
I happened to watch that episode recently. America’s Test Kitchen is a great production. A ton of easy, tasty recipes with really good instructions for the method

I’ll do the salmon soon as a buddy gave me some he caught in Alaska
Hi rcamuglia, being an expert Chef you know that the fat content in Atlantic Salmon exceeds any salmon on the West Coast, it will be interesting to know how yours turns out. What species are you trying it with?

The reason why Wild Atlantic salmon are so fat is because they feed on lots of Krill in the Arctic and Northern regions.

As I mentioned, I have only tried it with Farmed Atlantic Salmon, and it's the first time I have enjoyed Farmed. Wild Atlantic salmon taste nothing like wild, but with this technique Farmed are delicious.

Good luck looking forward to hearing your results and maybe a with picture, since all of the food you post looks fantastic.

If I owned a restaurant I would charge $40.00 a plate hehehe laugh

Happy Thanksgiving.
Friends don't let friends eat farmed fish............
From what I’ve read, wild Atlantic fat content is less than sockeye. Farmed Atlantic is considerably higher in fat, I guess from the Purina kibbles they get fed. wink

Pretty happy with grilled and traditional pan seared. Might give it a try though.
Originally Posted by ironbender
From what I’ve read, wild Atlantic fat content is less than sockeye. Farmed Atlantic is considerably higher in fat, I guess from the Purina kibbles they get fed. wink

Pretty happy with grilled and traditional pan seared. Might give it a try though.

I have caught both Sockeye and Wild Atlantic salmon, Wild Atlantic salmon IMO is way better tasting because it has a lot more fat than Sockeye. In fact compared to an Atlantic Salmon, all western species have very little fat in comparison.

My favorite thing to do was to get up in the morning and eat it cold out of the fridge with the congealed fat with salt.

We went every year to the Gaspé to fly fish for them, fun times.
Originally Posted by ironbender

I have caught both Sockeye and Wild Atlantic salmon, Wild Atlantic salmon IMO is way better tasting because it has a lot more fat than Sockeye. In fact compared to an Atlantic Salmon, all western species have very little fat in comparison.

My favorite thing to do was to get up in the morning and eat it cold out of the fridge with the congealed fat with salt.

We went every year to the Gaspé to fly fish for them, fun times.

Originally Posted by FishinHank
Friends don't let friends eat farmed fish............

Catching a Wild Atlantic Salmon these days is a very complicated and expensive prospect!
A winter king has more fat than any atlantic I've ever seen. No doubt the wild ones are good......but they don't stand up against a winter king.
I have caught a lot of King Salmon on the West Coast and Atlantic Salmon on the East Coast so I know the difference between the two based on experience, have you caught any Wild Atlantic salmon?

Wild Atlantic salmon are so fat they are "Oily" Kings are not.
Will give it a try
I have caught wild atlantics and they have never stacked up against a king that was headed up the yukon. Ever had one of those?
Nope!

I Have only caught them around Prince Rupert, Terrace BC, and Lake Ontario.

Where did you catch Atlantic salmon, how big were they?
In NY. Biggest was around 12lbs.
Kings going up the Yukon are so fat it takes months to dry them out. They are bright hundreds of miles up the river.
Never heard of Wild Atlantic being in New York, but I have heard of them being in Maine and fishing for them is strictly prohibited there, as they are on the endangered species list.

What you caught in New York is called a "Grilse". What we were catching, on the best rivers in Quebec are way bigger and fatter and not the same as Grilse.

The difference is that Grilse spend 1 winter at sea before spawning and Salmon spend 3 to 4 winters at sea.

What I like about West Coast salmon, you can easily fish for them in the ocean or from the bank of several rivers and catch and keep all species of salmon.

Here is a picture I took of my father with a 40+ pounder, I took the picture of the picture in my office so the quality is poor. The more time they spend at sea, the fatter they get.

Well, research contradicts your statements. But, not trying to get into a pizz contest, just dropping facts.

FWIW:
https://www.nutritionadvance.com/types-of-salmon/

That fish those gals cooked does look good!
I am not interested in a pizz contest either lol

I saw that this morning and I was surprised, I have eaten lots of Wild Atlantic Salmon, and Kings, Chinook, Coho, wild AS always seem way fatter to me, they also taste better, but that is subjective right?

What I do know for certain, is that I have been fishing for both species for lots of years. I only posted this thread to demonstrate a really interesting cooking method.

With Kings being as fat as they are up in AK, they would be perfect for this method.

This is me, one morning of fishing in BC, caught them all myself in 4 hours. Took this picture of the Humpbacks myself the same day. They decimated our bait ball, 50 yards from our boat.

Also, I just got my delivery of 9 whole FAS fillets I ordered this morning. I will eat them all with the method I showed and guess I will be glowing in the dark, so the good news is I will no longer need my headlamp for hunting anymore, hehe

Tried this tonight. Super easy and turned out perfectly.

I usually do salmon on the grill, but will put this in the rotation through the winter.
Hi Wannabebwana,

Really happy it worked out for you, even the skin is crispy and delicious hey? I don't typically eat the skin, this way I devour it.

This order below arrived yesterday, will be eating all of it this method all winter, twice a week. We all need our Omega 3's right?

Have a great weekend cool

© 24hourcampfire