Home
My wife isn't sure you can cook with cast iron on a electric range.We have electric now. Help.
Thread in the campfire forum yesterday about cast iron on electric.

I grew up with a propane stove and have spent the last 10 years with electric. As soon as some other projects get taken care of, installation of a gas stove is on the list.
go gas, heat you can see and adjust by sight. And you wont lose the ability to cook if the house loses power.
go gas, heat you can see and adjust by sight. And you wont lose the ability to cook if the house loses power.
You sure can use cast iron on electric, but if all else is equal I would go gas.
Originally Posted by Whelenman
My wife isn't sure you can cook with cast iron on a electric range.We have electric now. Help.
Definitely gas. Can adjust heat level instantly, and you can use antique cast iron which, unlike the modern stuff, can have bottoms that are not perfectly flat and level which won't absorb heat efficiently from an electric element. Everything absorbs heat efficiently from a gas flame.
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
And you wont lose the ability to cook if the house loses power.
Yep. That's come in handy on many occasions. Just light with a match instead of the electric spark starter built in to the range.
In my house, I have a combination stove. Gas cook top and convection electric oven. It's the best of both worlds. The gas top puts out more heat, and the convection electric oven provides more consistent heat. Convection takes 20% off the cook time.
Originally Posted by rob p
In my house, I have a combination stove. Gas cook top and convection electric oven. It's the best of both worlds. The gas top puts out more heat, and the convection electric oven provides more consistent heat. Convection takes 20% off the cook time.

Like that idea! +1
Gas all the way. May be a phobia of mine, but I absolutely detest cooking on an electric stove.

maddog
I like the electric, convection oven. Have a propane burner if the electric goes out.
Gas stove! A lot better temp control on the burner. Cooking on electric you have to wait, then it surges hot, cycles down, and then not sure what temp you have (from my experience).
gas on top is the only way to fly!
I cook with cast iron more often than not so gas is my first choice. Gas is my all around first choice for other cookware as well.

Here's some kitchen eye candy that may assist in your decision.

http://www.google.com/search?client...onvection+oven&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Go with the gas. I haven't cooked on an electric range since I was a kid at home. Cast iron works on either one quite nicely. I think it is easier to control the stove's temperature with the gas range. She will have a short learning curve when she first gets the gas range but she will find it is so much easier to control the heat level of the stove. I'll bet the first time she uses it she will love it.

And a second advantage is when Charity was a toddler I was at my mom's and had just used her electric stove. Charity decided she was going to cook after I left the kitchen. I heard her screaming and she had pushed a chair up to the stove I had just turned off and put both her hands on the still screaming hot burner. That could explain why she doesn't cook much even today laugh
Originally Posted by rob p

Exactly what we have and I'll never go back! It works great and the oven is up on the wall at eye height.
Originally Posted by Sassy
Go with the gas. I haven't cooked on an electric range since I was a kid at home. Cast iron works on either one quite nicely. I think it is easier to control the stove's temperature with the gas range. She will have a short learning curve when she first gets the gas range but she will find it is so much easier to control the heat level of the stove. I'll bet the first time she uses it she will love it.

And a second advantage is when Charity was a toddler I was at my mom's and had just used her electric stove. Charity decided she was going to cook after I left the kitchen. I heard her screaming and she had pushed a chair up to the stove I had just turned off and put both her hands on the still screaming hot burner. That could explain why she doesn't cook much even today laugh

+1. Gas is just better.
Gas for cooking. Convection for baking
Originally Posted by ribka
My oven's gas too. Don't see a problem with it. It broils, roasts, bakes, and braises just fine.
Originally Posted by ribka

Problem with that is, if you lose power oven for storage.
A George gobel quote, "Did you ever feel that the rest of the world was a tuxcedo, and you were a pair of brown shoes".

We have a Matag electric glasstop range. My wife grew up with an electric range, so that's what we have. Being frugal, I would like the like the best of both worlds. An electric glasstop range with a confection oven and also a gas drop-in cook top with two burners, a grill, with an outside vented range hood.

One could have all of that for a portion of the cost of the combo ranges. Good luck.
Cookin on an electric range is a pain in the butt. As RBH mentioned you can see the flame and adjust. Problem is there aren't many gas ranges available nowadays that allow for good flame adjustment. The oven should be electric.
Two good points of a glasstop electric ranges are that one can cook veggies in a pan or fry something in a skillet by turning the stove on to a certain number and walking off, without having to adjust heat by looking at the flame. After cooking and turning the burner off, you have the option of taking food off or leaving it on to stay warm. I am not trying to disagree. I like gas ranges, but I have never had gas burner controls as accurate as electric glasstops. I wish that we had both.
croldfort,

I agree on all points.

My sister in Canada has a combo range: 2 glass top electric, 2 gas burners and electric convention oven.

I forget the brand (Miele? Bosch?) -- it was European, expensive, and it is a joy to use.

The gas burner makes my Espresso in about 2 minutes 20 sec vs 3 minutes on an electric burner. Seconds count when you are going through caffeine withdrawal and jet lag!

John
I am on my 5th (4th replacement) oven ignitor on my 1994 GE gas range. Weak link are the ignitors, the damn ignitors only last at most 6 years, also the burner ignitors can get tempermental, I wish I had my 1974 Magic Chef range with pilots, it even worked with no power. Learn how to change them, I buy them from Servall Company, orginal GE ignitor with a lifetime guarantee, free replacemnt ignitors, install them yourself. I have gotten good on the quick change, save $150 service call and repair. You will have ignitors and problems with gas ranges, that alone would make me tend toward electric, at least for the oven.
I have a vintage Caloric gas range that I replaced the ignitor in just once. Did it myself. It could probably go another 20 years. If I move I'll put it in storage to use as a second range down the road. I can adjust the burners very low.

History of Caloric
The Caloric Company was sold to Amana in 1967. Amana started in 1934 as the Electrical Equipment Company. They manufactured mainly coolers and, later, refrigerators. In 1965, the Raytheon company, a producer of microwave ovens, bought the Amana Company, which included the Caloric brand. Amana eventually ceased production of Caloric brand appliances in the early nineties. Maytag bought Amana in 2001 and both were acquired by Whirlpool in 2006.

Magic Chef
Magic Chef is a leading manufacturer of kitchen appliances and washers and dryers. A subsidiary of Maytag, you can be assured that Magic Chef appliances offer the best in functionality and reliability . Its product lineup includes appliances for clean-up, cooking, laundry, and refrigeration.

I guess you can't be assured.
Kenmore Stainless Steel w/Black 30'' Gas Self Clean Slide-In Range with Convection Cooking 369

We just ordered this stove from Sears. Thanks for all your input.

Denny
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Kenmore Stainless Steel w/Black 30'' Gas Self Clean Slide-In Range with Convection Cooking 369

We just ordered this stove from Sears. Thanks for all your input.

Denny
Sounds like best of all worlds.
First choice is wood. Second choice gas. Electric if nothing else is available.
Originally Posted by Scott F
First choice is wood. Second choice gas. Electric if nothing else is available.
How do you set the thermostat on them there wood stoves? grin
Experience...
You lay your hand on the stove top. If it is cold you add more wood and open the lower draft. If it sticks and you hear a screaming sound it is just right. grin
You lay your hand on the stove top. If it is cold you add more wood and open the lower draft. If it sticks and you hear a screaming sound it is just right. grin
laugh About what I figured.
I have elect, I dislike it but I have no gas supplied to the house. If I had an LP tank I'd have a gas range/oven. Nothing like it for tuning the exact heat needed and holding it steady.

gas cooking rules.

We have LP at the cabin and I love cooking out there.

Originally Posted by northern_dave
I have elect, I dislike it but I have no gas supplied to the house. If I had an LP tank I'd have a gas range/oven. Nothing like it for tuning the exact heat needed and holding it steady.

gas cooking rules.

We have LP at the cabin and I love cooking out there.

Contact a propane company and they'll install one of their large outdoor tanks for free and hook it up to your range.
You have to lease the tanks, lease or purchase.

Originally Posted by northern_dave
You have to lease the tanks, lease or purchase.

I guess. I really don't know, but I know I don't lease mine because it was here when I moved in seven years ago, and I only get bills when I get it filled up. Don't think they add a lease charge to that bill. Just charge for the gas.
Well for just feeding a range/oven I suppose I could just keep a 100 pound "bottle" tank behind the house and it would last a really long time. Probably only fill it twice a year.
You need 2 bottles so you can switch when one is empty.
I lived where there was no propane delivery. I made a manifold system that used four one hundred pound bottles, two at a time. Worked great and never let us down.

Did the same thing with a two bottle system for the in line water heater for the camp's showers. Had nine bottles all together. I bought them at Home Depot and they were just under a hundred bucks each.

The law allows you to transport a max of four bottles without HAZMAT endorsement and license.
I lived where there was no propane delivery. I made a manifold system that used four one hundred pound bottles, two at a time. Worked great and never let us down.

Did the same thing with a two bottle system for the in line water heater for the camp's showers. Had nine bottles all together. I bought them at Home Depot and they were just under a hundred bucks each.

The law allows you to transport a max of four bottles without HAZMAT endorsement and license.
Cool solution.
Thanks. At the time it was the best I could do. Nine years later I have been told it is still in use.
© 24hourcampfire