Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My wife isn't sure you can cook with cast iron on a electric range.We have electric now. Help.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thread in the campfire forum yesterday about cast iron on electric.

I grew up with a propane stove and have spent the last 10 years with electric. As soon as some other projects get taken care of, installation of a gas stove is on the list.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
go gas, heat you can see and adjust by sight. And you wont lose the ability to cook if the house loses power.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
go gas, heat you can see and adjust by sight. And you wont lose the ability to cook if the house loses power.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
You sure can use cast iron on electric, but if all else is equal I would go gas.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Whelenman
My wife isn't sure you can cook with cast iron on a electric range.We have electric now. Help.
Definitely gas. Can adjust heat level instantly, and you can use antique cast iron which, unlike the modern stuff, can have bottoms that are not perfectly flat and level which won't absorb heat efficiently from an electric element. Everything absorbs heat efficiently from a gas flame.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
And you wont lose the ability to cook if the house loses power.
Yep. That's come in handy on many occasions. Just light with a match instead of the electric spark starter built in to the range.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my house, I have a combination stove. Gas cook top and convection electric oven. It's the best of both worlds. The gas top puts out more heat, and the convection electric oven provides more consistent heat. Convection takes 20% off the cook time.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rob p
In my house, I have a combination stove. Gas cook top and convection electric oven. It's the best of both worlds. The gas top puts out more heat, and the convection electric oven provides more consistent heat. Convection takes 20% off the cook time.

Like that idea! +1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Gas all the way. May be a phobia of mine, but I absolutely detest cooking on an electric stove.

maddog

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the electric, convection oven. Have a propane burner if the electric goes out.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Gas stove! A lot better temp control on the burner. Cooking on electric you have to wait, then it surges hot, cycles down, and then not sure what temp you have (from my experience).

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
gas on top is the only way to fly!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I cook with cast iron more often than not so gas is my first choice. Gas is my all around first choice for other cookware as well.

Here's some kitchen eye candy that may assist in your decision.

http://www.google.com/search?client...onvection+oven&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go with the gas. I haven't cooked on an electric range since I was a kid at home. Cast iron works on either one quite nicely. I think it is easier to control the stove's temperature with the gas range. She will have a short learning curve when she first gets the gas range but she will find it is so much easier to control the heat level of the stove. I'll bet the first time she uses it she will love it.

And a second advantage is when Charity was a toddler I was at my mom's and had just used her electric stove. Charity decided she was going to cook after I left the kitchen. I heard her screaming and she had pushed a chair up to the stove I had just turned off and put both her hands on the still screaming hot burner. That could explain why she doesn't cook much even today laugh

Sassy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rob p

Exactly what we have and I'll never go back! It works great and the oven is up on the wall at eye height.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sassy
Go with the gas. I haven't cooked on an electric range since I was a kid at home. Cast iron works on either one quite nicely. I think it is easier to control the stove's temperature with the gas range. She will have a short learning curve when she first gets the gas range but she will find it is so much easier to control the heat level of the stove. I'll bet the first time she uses it she will love it.

And a second advantage is when Charity was a toddler I was at my mom's and had just used her electric stove. Charity decided she was going to cook after I left the kitchen. I heard her screaming and she had pushed a chair up to the stove I had just turned off and put both her hands on the still screaming hot burner. That could explain why she doesn't cook much even today laugh

+1. Gas is just better.

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Gas for cooking. Convection for baking

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ribka
My oven's gas too. Don't see a problem with it. It broils, roasts, bakes, and braises just fine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ribka

Problem with that is, if you lose power oven for storage.

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,780
Posts18,477,082
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.