Home
Posted By: HOGBUSTER NEW to CANNING. - 02/26/12
OK. Do I need a Pressure Cooker? Or do you do it in a boiling wet bath, like granny use to do green beans and beets? I have the propane tank/furnace + QT jars, Not sure how many QT jars the canner holds. How long do you boil or cook the meat?
Thankx
Posted By: rrogers Re: NEW to CANNING. - 02/26/12
For meat i HIGHLY recommend a pressure canner. It gets the temperature hotter so everything is processed better. It also reduces the time involved on the heat (a real plus if you are on a propane tank and have a gas stove). I would also recommend getting a book that has the regular how-toos' and recipes in it.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: NEW to CANNING. - 02/26/12
I would skip the bath on meat and go straight to pressure. For veggies....go ahead.
Posted By: Bootsfishing Re: NEW to CANNING. - 02/26/12
Here's a good site to visit ... http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/clay53.html

Other 24 hour threads.... https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5436932/1

Posted By: 22WRF Re: NEW to CANNING. - 02/26/12
Basically, anything that is acidic you can can without the pressure canner. Anyting else, and meat, you need the pressure canner because it allows the temp. to get higher, which in turn kills butulism and other bugs.
Posted By: ribka Re: NEW to CANNING. - 02/26/12
I can a lot of meat and fish and use a pressure cooker.

My wife cans quite a bit of fruit jams every year and does via the water water bath.

Get both. Canned game meat and fish is easy to do and very tasty
Posted By: HillbillyJim Re: NEW to CANNING. - 02/26/12
Green beans and beets MUST be pressure cooked. Tomatoes and fruits [high acid] may be hot water bath all else pressure cook. [35 years experience in food safety] Actually go to book store and get a book on home canning and follow directions. Easy!
Posted By: MissTreated Re: NEW to CANNING. - 02/26/12
The Ball Book of Home Canning and Freezing is a good book. I use it for reference often.

Not wanted to beat a dead horse, pressure can your meat and fish.
Posted By: sgt217 Re: NEW to CANNING. - 02/27/12
Yes, pressure is the way to go...
© 24hourcampfire