Home
Posted By: wabigoon Corned beef hash - 02/26/16
We have discussed the dish before.

Up in the Canada section "the shootest", alluded that he wants us to feed he, and lovely wife the breakfast dish again.

How do you real cooks make it?
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Corned beef hash - 02/26/16
I've made it from scratch and from a can. I appreciate fresh CBH, but I'm
A sucker for it out of a can. Fried til dark brown, then add some eggs. My only advise is once you think it's done- cook another 10 minutes.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Corned beef hash - 02/26/16
Guess I'm not real, never made it from scratch. shocked
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Corned beef hash - 02/26/16
Corned beef hash, a couple of poached eggs, toast with grape jam black coffee and OJ. Great breakfast on a cold winter morning or after a morning on the stand in deer camp.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Corned beef hash - 02/26/16
Had a can of Hormel's with an egg for dinner today. I like to break the yolk on the egg and cover the pan.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Corned beef hash - 02/26/16
Scratch made is good, but not worth the work IMO. The canned is fine by me. Besides that, on the rare occasion we have leftover corned beef I'd much rather make a reuben sandwich. BTW, I just had it for breakfast this morning over-looking the South Pacific in Maui. It may have been the best ever! cool

Mike
I love the stuff, too. It looks a lot like dog food, and before cooked, kinda smells like it, too. I prefer Mary Kitchen brand over Armour (too greasy) in the canned variety.

From scratch, I've only made Brisket Hash, using scraps from smoked brisket. There really aren't adjectives to describe how good it is. A mandolin slicer takes most of the work out of getting a uniformly small dice on the potatoes.

FC
Posted By: EdM Re: Corned beef hash - 02/28/16
I like Mary Kitchen Roast Beef Hash. A little less salty than the corned beef version. I cook the hell out of it to get rid of a fair bit of the moisture. There's a restaurant near my place in Idaho that makes fantastic corned beef hash.
Posted By: sse Re: Corned beef hash - 03/03/16
I make it out of the left over corned beef and cabbage, pretty basic.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Corned beef hash - 03/04/16
One can make good hash from most any good leftover meat.

Hot skillet (cast preferred)
Olive oil
Garlic
Diced pre-cooked potatoes
Diced pre-cooked meat

Brown.

I hated hash, until I learned to make it.
Posted By: sse Re: Corned beef hash - 03/04/16
One thing is for sure, it doesn't taste at all like the canned stuff (any of them) bought in the store. However, I am working on a can of Hormel right now... blush
Posted By: sse Re: Corned beef hash - 03/06/16
This morning, I lined a (buttered) ramekin with some canned corned beef, cracked in an egg, added a Tsp of milk, seasonings, topped with cheddar, baked for 14 minutes at 400 deg. Was good.

Got the idea from Sam's shirred egg method.
© 24hourcampfire