Home
Posted By: wabigoon Smoked Pork Shoulder. - 02/25/17
Well folks, I fired up the CharBroil smoker, and had a fresh shoulder at 275 for about two hours. Hickory chips.

It's no help when the probe thermometer decides to crap out at the worst time.

Tonight, the chops I had on the top rack, we plan to reheat the "ham", later.

Being a novice has the "thrill", but redundancy makes better.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder. - 02/25/17
The only thing I've done with pork shoulders is for pulled pork sandwiches.
Pulled pork tacos, pork nachos (my kids favorite), omelets...
Posted By: GregW Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder. - 02/25/17
It's done when no resistance to probe. Don't necessarily need a thermo for pork shoulder....
Posted By: byc Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder. - 02/25/17
you can also tell by weight and in general the bounce test.

Richard did you lose the fire pit or meat temp probe?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder. - 02/25/17
The probe was one we had in the kitchen.

The smoker has a probe thermometer, but I've yet to master that.

I might try photobucket again if I remember how.

While we are talking smoking, what does the panel think about white oak as smoking wood?
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder. - 02/25/17
oak is fine for smoking. I feel it tends to be a little strong for my taste. If you can get some try hickory, pecan, and cherry. Those have been my go to woods. And the cherry is great for beef also.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder. - 02/25/17
Originally Posted by Mgw619
oak is fine for smoking. I feel it tends to be a little strong for my taste. If you can get some try hickory, pecan, and cherry. Those have been my go to woods. And the cherry is great for beef also.

Not far off of Mgw's preference as I prefer hickory, pecan, apple. Cherry sneaks its way in sometimes, though.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder. - 02/25/17
Apple and pecan get the nod for pork in my smoker
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder. - 02/25/17
And don't get carried away with all the dry rub foolishness you hear a lot about. No need to coat with a 1/4" of joe bobs bbq rub. Salt, pepper, and garlic. K.I.S.S. method.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder. - 02/25/17
A kiss of hickory smoke is my favorite. Strong for some folks but starting on hickory and finishing with a milder wood or even in the oven delivers that wonderful flavor.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder. - 02/26/17
Hickory here also, and if the shoulder blade pulls out, it's done.
Posted By: byc Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder. - 02/26/17
Richard -- meats only take on smoke up to about 140 internal meat temp so finishing off in an oven is always a good option. As for doneness, if you can easily pull it or again achieve a positive bounce test she's ready.

I'm partial to fruit woods. Especially, apple, orange and cherry. Pecan will produce a darker bark. I do use hickory but much like mesquite a little goes a long way.

Hope all turned out well.
Posted By: hanco Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder. - 02/28/17
I use pecan or mesquite in my BBQ pit. Steaks are great cooked like that also.
I use mostly oak with just a bit of hickory tossed in. A little hickory goes a long way if you ask me.
Posted By: BarryC Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder. - 03/03/17
If you don't have time to deal with a smoker, a recipe I found for "Hawaiian BBQ" is great. You just put salt on a pork shoulder with some liquid smoke, throw it in the crock pot for 8+ hours. When you get home, shred up a large cabbage and reduce it with juices from out of the crock pot. Serve with rice. And Sri Racha. smile
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder. - 03/19/17
I do shoulders a few times a year. I cut slits all around and push slivers of garlic in Rub the whole thing with seasoning and set it on the grill with a small smokey fire opposite (off the)fire. I use apple for smoke.4 to 6 hours uncovered fat side up. Then I wrap it up tight in foil and cook another 2 or 3 hours till the skin is tender and bones are loose. It's a crowd pleaser. People tend to overeat it.
Posted By: Stan V Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder. - 03/28/17
Originally Posted by wabigoon

While we are talking smoking, what does the panel think about white oak as smoking wood?

White oak is great for BBQ. So is red oak.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder. - 03/28/17
15 hr cook on my bge, internal temp near 200 (where I like it)
Wood of choice for pork for me is either mesquite or hickory.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder. - 03/28/17
Looking good, Tom!
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder. - 03/29/17
I use alder as I have a large supply and like the flavor.

[Linked Image]

I usually finish off in the oven.

[Linked Image]

Personal preference is to give an overnight salt rub, then a dry rub before going into the smoker. I don't remember the name of the dry rub recipe but as I recall salt, brown sugar, and some spices.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder. - 03/29/17
You two got better results than I did, but it was my first time, and as they say, "Try, try, again".
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder. - 03/29/17
Walmart carries some digital meat probes with a 4 ft pigtail on them for about $12. I use one in my smoker.

I just picked up a 6# pork shoulder roast from Costco yesterday for $1.99/pound. That is my for my next batch of summer sausage to mix with 24 pounds of elk,moose or deer and then smoke that as soon as the weather breaks here.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder. - 03/29/17
As Dave said, smoke only takes at the start. Out here, oak is king. Red, white, scrub, whatever. Just no post oak available. Fruit woods are a bit strong for pork. Just my opinion.

But pork shoulder when it's for me is Mexican style. S&P, garlic, chile powder, oregano, and cumin. Chile powders are usually New Mex/Calif blend along with cayenne.

Sliced early like a roast, pulled for tacos/burros/enchiladas.

If you want a slaw, try sour cream, mayo, lime, habanero, cilantro, garlic, diced dill pickle, s&p. You can sub jalapeƱo, Serrano, etc. as your delicate senses or market dictates. This is also friggin great as a separate sauce and cabbage for fish tacos!

© 24hourcampfire