Home
Posted By: Ringman Is he hunting? - 04/10/12
I posted this at the general threads as well as here.

A few years I wrote the following questions for my fun. I hope you folks enjoy it.

A guy walks to the woods carrying his long bow in one hand. On his back, along side his small backpack is a quiver with a few arrows. The back pack carries a canteen and enough food for one day. Is he hunting?

A guy drives to the woods in a pickup. He gets out throws on his small backpack with a canteen and enough food for one day. He has a quiver with a few arrows attached to his compound bow and heads into the woods. He has range finder on his belt. Is he hunting?

A guy walks out his back door and heads for the woods with his open sighted .30-30 rifle. He has a canteen and a little lunch in a small backpack. Is he hunting?

A guy drives to the woods in his pickup. He gets out and grabs his .270 with a 3-9X scope sighted in for 100 yards and takes a few cartridges out of the box and puts them into his pocket. He put on a backpack which has a rangefinder and enough food and water for a whole day; and a little more if he decides to stay in the woods. Is he hunting?

A guy drives to the woods in his pickup. He gets out. He puts on his binoculars which he installed in a bino-buddy. He then puts on his backpack which contains enough food and water for a day. On his belt is a rangefinder. He picks up his long range 7STW with a Swarovski 5-25X52 sighted in for 300 yards mounted on it. Installed on the fore end is a bipod. Is he hunting?

A guy drives to the woods in his pickup. He goes to a clear-cut he scouted earlier in the year. After pulling off the roads at an abandoned landing he gets out a portable benchrest and sets it up. He then places a range finder on it to one side. Then he sets out a front rest and a rear sandbag on the bench rest. He carefully places a .30-378 Wea Mag carrying a Nightforce 12-42X56 scope sighted in for 100 yards. He can adjust the turret for the range at which he sees game. He gets out a set of Big Eyes and mounts them on a tri-pod. Is he hunting?
Posted By: Tanner Re: Is he hunting? - 04/10/12
I won't make any call on the hunting or not, but I would personally opt for a 200 yard zero on the STW laugh
Posted By: Ringman Re: Is he hunting? - 04/10/12
I won't make any call on the hunting or not, but I would personally opt for a 200 yard zero on the STW

I chose 300 yards for the zero because that's what I did with my .257 Wea. The trajectory does not go above 3" all the way to 300 and is only about 8 1/2" down at 400 yards. No need to fiddle with adjusting the scope or dots until past 400 yards.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Is he hunting? - 04/10/12
I hear ya', just poking fun laugh
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Is he hunting? - 04/10/12
If he is in the pursuit of killing animals, then he is hunting.
Posted By: piero Re: Is he hunting? - 04/10/12
I'd say third one up from the bottom would be hunting in luxury if he were after deer, but if elk were his quary he would just be in really good shape. As for the last one, I just can't justify that, but to be honest, with less and less people hunting every year, we need all we can get. As long as he has good fundamentals and ethics as well as ability to shoot at that range with that rifle, I say go for it.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Is he hunting? - 04/10/12
Those guys setting up like the last example, that know what they're doing and have the requisite skills to connect on their shots are generally shooting at game that is 1 mile+ from their position.

A 1000yd target is a gimmee to these guys.
As long as he has good fundamentals and ethics as well as ability to shoot at that range with that rifle, I say go for it.

The others don't need good fundamentals and ethics as well as ability to shoot at that range with his equipment? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: Is he hunting? - 04/10/12
Originally Posted by Ringman
I won't make any call on the hunting or not, but I would personally opt for a 200 yard zero on the STW

I chose 300 yards for the zero because that's what I did with my .257 Wea. The trajectory does not go above 3" all the way to 300 and is only about 8 1/2" down at 400 yards. No need to fiddle with adjusting the scope or dots until past 400 yards.

Were you hunting?
Were you hunting?

Yes.
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: Is he hunting? - 04/10/12
Were you hunting?

Yes.

So are they... but, are they Ethical Hunters?

Trying to kill something with a pointed stick might not be.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Is he hunting? - 04/10/12
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Were you hunting?

Yes.

They are all hunting....their personal conduct afield determines whether or not they are "ethical"....not the gear they carry.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Is he hunting? - 04/10/12
He picks up his long range 7STW with a Swarovski 5-25X52 sighted in for 300 yards mounted on it...... Is he hunting?....

Only until his scope fogs............afterall, it's a Swarovski
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Is he hunting? - 04/10/12
dumbest freakin thread ever
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Is he hunting? - 04/10/12
Ringman is running neck and neck with Shod
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Is he hunting? - 04/10/12
Rich -

As I read your examples, the first 5 guys were hunting, the last was not. That last guy did his **hunting** ahead of the season when he scouted, all that was left was the shooting. I'm not criticizing or passing judgement, just noting the distribution of the parts of "hunting" over a different time scale.

Tom
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Is he hunting? - 04/10/12
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Rich -

As I read your examples, the first 5 guys were hunting, the last was not. That last guy did his **hunting** ahead of the season when he scouted, all that was left was the shooting. I'm not criticizing or passing judgement, just noting the distribution of the parts of "hunting" over a different time scale.

Tom

Thoughts that make you go, "Hmmmmm...".
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Is he hunting? - 04/11/12
Is this just trolling or someone looking for real opinions?

I think they are all hunting.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Is he hunting? - 04/11/12
Yes, he's hunting. At least, until some self-righteous pr*** shows up and says "that's not hunting."

Of course, he's still hunting, he just has a self-righteous pr*** looking over his shoulder, and it's just not the same.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Is he hunting? - 04/11/12
Originally Posted by smokepole
Yes, he's hunting. At least, until some self-righteous pr*** shows up and says "that's not hunting."

Of course, he's still hunting, he just has a self-righteous pr*** looking over his shoulder, and it's just not the same.

LOL
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: Is he hunting? - 04/11/12
Originally Posted by BobinNH

They are all hunting....their personal conduct afield determines whether or not they are "ethical"....not the gear they carry.

Indeed... and that was my point... a bullet/arrow through both lungs is ethical... the rest is gak.
Posted By: redfoxx Re: Is he hunting? - 04/11/12
In my opinion, I think the OP was trying to suggest that modern equipment (e.g.: the recent popularity of long range shooting) is tipping the scales more in favor of the hunter, as opposed to the older equipment and hunting methodology, thus making "hunting" more like "shooting". I think that those who have the marksmanship skills to ethically take a big game animal at the sort of distances were talking about, with modern firearms and optics, are freaking amazing. It takes no less skill to do that, IMO, than it does for guys to stalk up on an animal at 25 yards and take it with a self-made long bow. It's just different styles of hunting. It's all hunting IMO so long as it's legal and ethical. I think the different ways and gear and tactics that we all use to pursue our chosen quary give our sport (hunting) great diversity allowing a broader appeal and larger numbers taking the field every year. Strength in numbers, that's good for hunting!

Edited for spelling... as usual.
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Is he hunting? - 04/11/12
Originally Posted by smokepole

LOL
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: Is he hunting? - 04/11/12
Guy I used to hunt with believed the only way to hunt was to walk all over the cover bust them out. All we ever got doing that was *ssholes and elbows shots on the run. Not to surprizing just does and little bucks. He thought that was the way to do it. I said to him one day "you know the guys in deer hunting articles allways kill nice bucks and they don't do this walkabout chit". "Don't you think it might be easier to spot a good one first make stalk and a good shot ?" Nope he says . Next year I went for myself and did the spot, stalk, and nice buck routine all by myself. I told him to hunt anyway he wanted by himself and no I don't haul anybody to my places anymore.. That guy your being critical of using a portable bench and a 30-378 at long range might have as bad a knees as I do and not good anymore for extended distances all day long. so he does the scouting deal, knows where they will be about a certain time of day if a bunch of yahoos on walkabout haven't allready blown them out of the area.He is working with his own limitations and leaving his shooting less to chance. Lighten up and let it alone for others and do yours as it suits you. Magnum Man
Posted By: Dan360 Re: Is he hunting? - 04/11/12
If you are in the legal pursuit of game animals, you're hunting.

Ethical hunting is following the rules and knowing your own limitations with your chosen equipment.
Posted By: Elkmaster Re: Is he hunting? - 04/11/12
Which ever is Acceptable to you is when your Hunting, but don't Criticize others if it doesn't meet your standards.
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Is he hunting? - 04/11/12
We have different ways to challenge ourselves, but it's all hunting.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Is he hunting? - 04/11/12
In my opinion, I think the OP was trying to suggest that modern equipment (e.g.: the recent popularity of long range shooting) is tipping the scales more in favor of the hunter, as opposed to the older equipment and hunting methodology, thus making "hunting" more like "shooting".

The OP was not suggesting anything. The OP wrote the short essay to cause others to realize we all do our own thing and we are all hunting.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Is he hunting? - 04/13/12
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
That guy your being critical of using a portable bench and a 30-378 at long range might have as bad a knees as I do and not good anymore for extended distances all day long. so he does the scouting deal, knows where they will be about a certain time of day if a bunch of yahoos on walkabout haven't allready blown them out of the area.He is working with his own limitations and leaving his shooting less to chance. Lighten up and let it alone for others and do yours as it suits you. Magnum Man

There is something to be said for setting up on a ridge, with a good rest, and waiting for the critters which get blown out of their cover by said Yahoos.

I got a nice 5X5 bull last fall at 325 yds, just so. I thought I was hunting, still do.
Posted By: redfoxx Re: Is he hunting? - 04/13/12
In my opinion, I think the OP was trying to suggest that modern equipment (e.g.: the recent popularity of long range shooting) is tipping the scales more in favor of the hunter, as opposed to the older equipment and hunting methodology, thus making "hunting" more like "shooting".

The OP was not suggesting anything. The OP wrote the short essay to cause others to realize we all do our own thing and we are all hunting.

Agreed 100%, was not trying to suggest otherwise although reading the sound bite from my post in hindsight it would certainly appear that is exactly what I was suggesting. I think the OP made a good post, and that is how I took it... as thought provoking. apologies to the OP for any offense.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Is he hunting? - 04/16/12
There are high percentage shots and low percentage shots.

If that means close stalks through the north side timber with a 30-30 or across a canyon with a Sako TRG, well, it is still a high percentage shot or a low percentage shot.

I try to only take high percentage shots.
Posted By: mrbigtexan Re: Is he hunting? - 04/16/12
i like this post, i think everyone is hunting as long as its legal.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Is he hunting? - 04/16/12
None of them are hunting. They are all lacking beer.
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Is he hunting? - 04/16/12
A guy gets on his computer, goes the the 24 hour campfire, and clicks on the long range forum. He then starts a thread about whether or not a guy with a long range rifle is hunting.

Is he trolling?
Posted By: Ringman Re: Is he hunting? - 04/17/12
A guy gets on his computer, goes the the 24 hour campfire, and clicks on the long range forum. He then starts a thread about whether or not a guy with a long range rifle is hunting.

Is he trolling?

Only in some people's mind.
Posted By: Hawkeye_Reloader Re: Is he hunting? - 04/21/12
In my neck of the woods it seems few people really take shooting seriously. All are hunting and hats off to the guys who know what thier equipment is truly capable of. Who am I to judge as long as we all follow the game laws?
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Is he hunting? - 05/12/12
Told a guy once that I had killed a nice muley at 800 yards and he says....."That ain't even hunting because the deer didn't even know you were there!"

The best reply I could give him at the time was..."Yeah...I didn't want the sumbitch to KNOW I WAS THERE!"
Posted By: Dogger Re: Is he hunting? - 05/18/12
It seems to me that if you are pursuing game in season, you have a valid license, your intent is to kill the game as humanely as possible given the conditions of the hunt and the tools at hand, and it is fair chase, then you are hunting.
© 24hourcampfire