Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I posted this at the general threads as well as here.

A few years I wrote the following questions for my fun. I hope you folks enjoy it.

A guy walks to the woods carrying his long bow in one hand. On his back, along side his small backpack is a quiver with a few arrows. The back pack carries a canteen and enough food for one day. Is he hunting?

A guy drives to the woods in a pickup. He gets out throws on his small backpack with a canteen and enough food for one day. He has a quiver with a few arrows attached to his compound bow and heads into the woods. He has range finder on his belt. Is he hunting?

A guy walks out his back door and heads for the woods with his open sighted .30-30 rifle. He has a canteen and a little lunch in a small backpack. Is he hunting?

A guy drives to the woods in his pickup. He gets out and grabs his .270 with a 3-9X scope sighted in for 100 yards and takes a few cartridges out of the box and puts them into his pocket. He put on a backpack which has a rangefinder and enough food and water for a whole day; and a little more if he decides to stay in the woods. Is he hunting?

A guy drives to the woods in his pickup. He gets out. He puts on his binoculars which he installed in a bino-buddy. He then puts on his backpack which contains enough food and water for a day. On his belt is a rangefinder. He picks up his long range 7STW with a Swarovski 5-25X52 sighted in for 300 yards mounted on it. Installed on the fore end is a bipod. Is he hunting?

A guy drives to the woods in his pickup. He goes to a clear-cut he scouted earlier in the year. After pulling off the roads at an abandoned landing he gets out a portable benchrest and sets it up. He then places a range finder on it to one side. Then he sets out a front rest and a rear sandbag on the bench rest. He carefully places a .30-378 Wea Mag carrying a Nightforce 12-42X56 scope sighted in for 100 yards. He can adjust the turret for the range at which he sees game. He gets out a set of Big Eyes and mounts them on a tri-pod. Is he hunting?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I won't make any call on the hunting or not, but I would personally opt for a 200 yard zero on the STW laugh

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I won't make any call on the hunting or not, but I would personally opt for a 200 yard zero on the STW

I chose 300 yards for the zero because that's what I did with my .257 Wea. The trajectory does not go above 3" all the way to 300 and is only about 8 1/2" down at 400 yards. No need to fiddle with adjusting the scope or dots until past 400 yards.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hear ya', just poking fun laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If he is in the pursuit of killing animals, then he is hunting.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd say third one up from the bottom would be hunting in luxury if he were after deer, but if elk were his quary he would just be in really good shape. As for the last one, I just can't justify that, but to be honest, with less and less people hunting every year, we need all we can get. As long as he has good fundamentals and ethics as well as ability to shoot at that range with that rifle, I say go for it.

"8mm rem mag, reach out n' touch something"

"Those who say the .223 is weak probably have never heard of the "meat grinder".

SEMPER FI

Head practical joke coordinator of the turd-like people (aka the chitmonks)
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Those guys setting up like the last example, that know what they're doing and have the requisite skills to connect on their shots are generally shooting at game that is 1 mile+ from their position.

A 1000yd target is a gimmee to these guys.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As long as he has good fundamentals and ethics as well as ability to shoot at that range with that rifle, I say go for it.

The others don't need good fundamentals and ethics as well as ability to shoot at that range with his equipment? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Ringman
I won't make any call on the hunting or not, but I would personally opt for a 200 yard zero on the STW

I chose 300 yards for the zero because that's what I did with my .257 Wea. The trajectory does not go above 3" all the way to 300 and is only about 8 1/2" down at 400 yards. No need to fiddle with adjusting the scope or dots until past 400 yards.

Were you hunting?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Were you hunting?

Yes.

Everyday Hunter
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Were you hunting?

Yes.

So are they... but, are they Ethical Hunters?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Trying to kill something with a pointed stick might not be.

Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Were you hunting?

Yes.

They are all hunting....their personal conduct afield determines whether or not they are "ethical"....not the gear they carry.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He picks up his long range 7STW with a Swarovski 5-25X52 sighted in for 300 yards mounted on it...... Is he hunting?....

Only until his scope fogs............afterall, it's a Swarovski

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dumbest freakin thread ever

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ringman is running neck and neck with Shod

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Rich -

As I read your examples, the first 5 guys were hunting, the last was not. That last guy did his **hunting** ahead of the season when he scouted, all that was left was the shooting. I'm not criticizing or passing judgement, just noting the distribution of the parts of "hunting" over a different time scale.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Rich -

As I read your examples, the first 5 guys were hunting, the last was not. That last guy did his **hunting** ahead of the season when he scouted, all that was left was the shooting. I'm not criticizing or passing judgement, just noting the distribution of the parts of "hunting" over a different time scale.

Tom

Thoughts that make you go, "Hmmmmm...".

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Is this just trolling or someone looking for real opinions?

I think they are all hunting.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes, he's hunting. At least, until some self-righteous pr*** shows up and says "that's not hunting."

Of course, he's still hunting, he just has a self-righteous pr*** looking over his shoulder, and it's just not the same.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,078
Posts18,482,745
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.