Home
Update on my 6.5x47L
I wasn't able to sight in my scope yet as I have a 30mm pic rail/base.
The Burris Eliminator III is not designed with a lot of internal MOA adjustment since the purpose of the scope is to use the technology for distance.
I put in their shim/lift kit which came in on Friday and bore sighted it easily.
Today I went the range and zeroed it at 100 yards as per the instructions.
I had already programmed it for my drop and BC.
It was easy to be exact on my 100 yard zero with the 1/8 MOA clicks on the turrets which you can zero like one would a target turret.
A friend from church who was with me helped me set up a steel target at 750 yards.
Actually we set it up at 749 but it was close enough for what I wanted.
Shooting of off a Harris bi-pod and my small Holland field bag.
Lasered the target and it came up as 749 yards which is the same distance my Leica 1600 LRF gave me.
Wind was coming from the right and I guesstimated the speed as I checked the correction for a 10 mph FV (upper right part of the scope) and held slightly right and sent it.
First shot at distance (749 yards) with Eliminator was perfect for drop, but slightly under doped the wind and hit at three O'Clock.
Best word I can come up with is giddy.
My friend from church who was watching through my spotting scope could hardly believe his eyes.
We went and took some pics then took a break as we were shooting to other rifles as well: 7mm STW & a 30-378 Weatherby.
About an hour later, Tracy shot from 400-1000 yards with first shot connections each time with my 6.5-47L.
Bright sunshine and mirage was now in play.
He said it was so easy it made him feel like he was cheating.
Since once you laser the target, everything you need to make the shot is in the optic, but you still have to determine what the wind is doing, but the correction value is right there for you.
When they say "Range it & Eliminate it!" they weren't kidding.
Tracy said when he first heard about it, he though it may be more of a gimmick and not practical for field use.
He doesn't feel that way anymore. I think the scope on his Tikka 300 WSM may be for sale in the future.
Pics of the target:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
For those who don't shoot distance much I had Tracy take two pics looking back to the bench, one with no zoom and then the second one with as much zoom this little digital camera has. On the pic that is zoomed the shooting bench is just above the head of the target.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I let him shoot the rest of my ammo that I had on hand. He was having a blast, literally.
I was wondering how precise those scopes were, they sounded like a gimmick to me also. Now I have to change my mind about them, let me know how it does with snowy conditions, I think that will be the test, Nice shooting...
Will do.
It may be awhile though....
But in WY it can change quickly
Ernie-I know you're a fan of muz brakes. I'd like to hear your comments on them...good points, and bad (if any).

Do you ever have any regrets? Thanks...
I really like the good solid bottomed muzzle brakes.
There are a number of good designs, but I have my favorites.
I always wear hearing protection when I shoot while hunting and of course during practice.
A good brake significantly reduces felt recoil, allows you to see impacts while practicing and during hunting.
I've found if a break is designed properly, they're quite ok for regular use. A poorly designed break is no fun to anyone.
That's pretty cool!

How does the trajectory correction max out? Is it based on a max range, max correction, LRF max capability?
It max's out based upon the drop of the cartridge/bullet combo you are using. Basically, when the drop correction is lower than what can be seen in the scope.
I think even if you have a real flat cartridge it stops at 1200 yards but I need to check.
That's what I recall as well. Thanks for the write-up.

I just got one in to test and plan to put it a 6.5-06. Hopefully will be able to try it would in the next couple of weeks.
Does the scope have an input for air temp/density?
No it does not.
Originally Posted by 405wcf
Originally Posted by xphunter
No it does not.

Uh oh! That would be a deal breaker for me. The new Leica 1600-B LRF has air temp/density AND angle built in to it's internal Ballistic Calc.

Alan
I am not suggesting this scope is for everyone. If you are regularly shooting/hunting at multiple elevations and at distances where those kind of changes makes a difference between a hit and a miss. If you already use ballistic software you know it is pretty easy once you know your drop in inches at 750 yards, it is easy to manipulate the software and change the conditions to see the difference.
Once that is done, if you are going to be going to a place which is different enough to make a difference at the distance you know or will likely be shooting then all you would have to do is change your drop in inches @ 750 and tweak the BC by correcting for the elev where you are going and you are good.
Also, knowing how temp and elev effect drop it would be easy to make slight changes in the field holding slightly higher or lower.
Doping the wind at distance will in my opinion likely cause everyone much more havoc-It is the unknown element in the equation.
I am still learning this scope myself. Did some dogging today from 382-573 yards. Worked better on pd's than I expected.
Didn't shoot that much, but enough to have some fun grin

Originally Posted by GSSP
Originally Posted by xphunter
No it does not.

Uh oh! That would be a deal breaker for me. The new Leica 1600-B LRF has air temp/density AND angle built in to it's internal Ballistic Calc.

Alan
Ernie,

Glad it's working well for you. Keep having fun!!!!

Alan
That scope sounds like some major fun.
As mentioned did some doggin yesterday, but spent most of my time spotting for a guy who is trying to break 1,000 yards kill on a pd.
Had bright sunlight and mirage. Ranging on flat surfaces is always difficult.
Ernie,

That begs the question; if you can't get a range reading via the scope but you can via a LRF, is the scope set up to dial the elev turret or hold over via the reticle?

Alan
If you can't get a reading from the laser in the Eliminator 3 it will light up your aiming points from 200-1000 yards in 100 yard increments.
So, if you knew the range, reticle ranged it, or a bud had a separate LRF you can still put your bullet on target.
Scope is set for using the reticle to correct for drop, and hold offs for wind.
But you could dial your wind if you so desired.
If the battery dies or something you could also dial off different MIL lines for distance as well.
My friends Leica 1200 even after we got to higher ground (I quit shooting before that and had put up my rifle) and had more of a downward angle had difficulty ranging dogs.
I think they are very interesting and they continue to make strides and tweak them making them even more user friendly.

Like you said they may not be for everyone but I think it's a neat deal that certainly has many applications.

I thought it would be fun on a 6.5 creedmoor AR10.

Keep shooting and posting reports.
Will do.

Been doing some pd shooting with the 6.5 and the Elim 3.
Knocked out dogs from 382-573 yards.
On day one I was shooting in bright sunshine with mirage on relatively flat terrain. Difficult for any LRF.
One day two we had a lot of wind. From around 14-23 mph and gusting.
Set-up so I was shooting from a somewhat elevated location and ranged with no problems whatsoever, even with sun and mirage. Flat ground doesn't have anything to reflect off of when lazering on level ground, but a dog mounds works.
Getting a little elevated worked even better.
If there had been an animal on level ground-No problems. Antelope were easy to range.
If the winds hadn't been so gusty there would be more food for the birds of prey. laugh

I will begin lope and deer hunting the 2nd week of October.
I am going to take one or the other with this rig, then use my single-shot specialty handguns for the rest.
After I tag out with the rifle I am thinking about putting it on one of my SP's smile
Ernie,
What stock is that on your gun?
McRee
At my request, Mac's Gunworks made a custombag bar for me.
Mac's Gunworks south of Gillette, WY did all the work on this rifle:
Trued action, trigger job on Remmy trigger, chambered fitting Krieger 1-8T barrel, and installed one of his Mac brakes.
He also did the cerakoting
sounds like it may not be of any advantage to someone who only shoots from 75-250 yards and is using one of the flat shooting mags.
I agree
Did some hunting with my 6.5 and the Elim 3
Here is a video of that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy85qH4WO....q7iARmKwk742NZg
Pic of the buck I shot
[Linked Image]
Sweet buck! The vid link doesn't work...

Details?
I will try again. Trying to do things off an iPad. Computer is being worked on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy85qH4WO5I
That's a nice looking animal andI love the wide angle perspective. Makes that Antelope look like a monster compared to you.
Interesting...I've seen these scopes advertised but this is the first real world write-up I've read.
Welcome!
Last week I late a lady use it. She made first shot connections to 500 yards.
She missed at 6, but in all fairness we were having strong gusty winds.
She liked it so well, that she told her husband she would Ike to have one.
She is a hunter, but this was her first time to shoot any kind of distance.
How are the optics compared to Leupold, Zeiss, etc...?
I have not compared the Gen 3 with other scopes yet.
It is noticeably better than the version I used last year.
I want to be out in the field a half an hour after sunset and be shooting, but I have not done that yet.
But I will say, I am pleased with the optic inthe ways I have used it.
Originally Posted by colorado
How are the optics compared to Leupold, Zeiss, etc...?
Iam extremly interested in this scope and appreciate your post.
Is the scope waterproof and how well doers it work if the batteries are dead.
Thanks
Craig
Yes it is waterproof:
"The adjust-ment system is waterproof even without the turret caps in place, but
keep these caps tight to keep dust and dirt out of the mechanical
system."

If the battery is dead it is in essence a regular second focal plane Mil-Dot reticle.
They key is to use fresh batteries when hunting and have a couple of spares in case Murphy shows up
Thanks Ernie,I appreciate the information.
Craig
I love the idea of this scope, but im curious as to how much it weighs, definetly not a light weight im sure.
Weight of the Eliminator with mount and battery is 26 oz.
Consider this, add the weight of your LR scope, rings, laser-rangefinder, means of determining angle if it is not a part of your LRF and you will see your overall weight is likely more than what you have with the Eliminator.

A couple of LR scopes:
A Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14 weighs 22 ounces.
A NF NXS 3.5-15 weighs 30 ounces
Vid of a friend of mine using my rifle with the Burris Eliminator III
If you watch the video, read the comments that Joel makes.
I got to field-test two Eliminator III's, both 4-16x models, extensively in October. First was on a .308 with 168 match ammo, and it maxed out at 800 yards with the dots, but I was able to go out to 900 using the reticle and 1000 with one complete turn of the elevation dial.

Then used it on my 6.5-06 with 140 Berger VLD's at 2950. Hit pretty easily at 1200, and got a dot-reading at 1350, though did not shoot that far.

There'll be a complete write-up in AMERICAN HUNTER in maybe 3 months, with more details about optics and other tests. Suffice to say it works really well. The .308 test took place on a ranch in Texas where they teach field-shooting, and is also a testing-ground for military shooters. Every one of the instructors was impressed--except for one guy who said he preferred dialing. I pointed out that you can dial with the E-III too, and he didn't say anything.
John,
Thank you for your perspective and the views of others as well.
Putting gear in front of instructors is always a good thing.
Excellent!
I very interested in the concept and curious as to whether the original Eliminator or II would be a good scope as well?
Reason I ask is the price is about half that of the Eliminator III and I think I could live with the 4-12 as opposed to the 4-16. Also any comparisons against the BUSHNELL and the NIKON Rangefinding scopes ?
Thanks
Craig
PS ,I have only tried a friends Handheld rangefinder and found it difficult to hold on target steady and get a reading. Seems to me the rangefinding scope would make it easier to hold on your intended target?Comments or observations on this ?
Thanks
Craig
What kind of max distances do you intend to shoot at (Paper, Big Game, Steel) and what rifle will it be on?

Maybe this will help:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/burris-eliminator-laserscope-review-1.php
Hi Ernie,was thinking 800 yards max with with a 300 Winchester and 500-600 max with either a 243 Winchester and 270 Winchester.
Dont know about the rifle for sure but some choices are a Tikka superlight in either 270 Winchester or 300 Winchester ,A Remington 5R in 300 Winchester or of all things a Remington 7600 243 Winchester !
The last one because I already have it and it shoots less than an inch with everything I put through it.
The others would have to be purchased .
I used to handload but dont enjoy it anymore so will be shooting strictly factory loads.
Will be used for deer out in agricultural fields in Arkansas.
Deer up to 250-300 pounds with so called average bucks going 150 pounds.
I am 53 and have been deer hunting for over 40 years and for the most part have hunted in a manner where I have killed most of my deer at 150 yards and less with a few killed at over 350 yards however would like to become proficient enough to make clean kills at longer ranges when they present themselves
and like the idea of a rangefinder and scope all in one,less to carry in the field.
I also want a scope that will be good for early morning and late afternoon shots.
Thanks
Craig
With that in mind, I would save your pennies and get the new E-3 (I like Mule Deer's abbreviation!).
So if the batteries die can you still use the scope manually?
Yes.
To use the MIL subtension, you would need to have it on 16x though.
But if you are using the main cross-hair, any magnification will do.
Thanks for the advice Ernie
What scenarios and circumstances would you consider the older less expensive model to be good for ?
Thanks
Craig
I see the 4-12 really being at a max at around 600-650 yards depending on the cartridge.
Ernie is that because of the power or the ranging ability or the type of crosshair or dot ?
Thanks a lot, Craig
Combo of the ranging capability and the scopes internal capability depending on conditions and the drop of said rifle.
in my review I could laser the 700 yard target, but I had exceeded internal drop capability of the scope itself.
With a flatter cartridge I probably could have got to 700-Maybe.
OK Ernie.
You know I got to thinking about some things and there is more than a good possibility that I may have been too optimistic in my desire for range.
I think that maybe I could be satisfied with a mere 600 yard ability !
Of the cartridges I mentioned would any of them exceed the internal capability of the scope itself?
With optimum Factory loads of course as I realize there are loads with low velocities and BC.
243 with say Winchester Ballistic Silvertips or a load with a VLD bullet at over 3000 FPS,270 Winchester with either 130 or 140
grain Ballistic tips or VLD at over 3000 FPS or in the Winchester a factory load with the a max at over 3000.
I am so used to killing deer at 150 yards and less that the 600 yard range would probably seem like shooting into next year for me !
I see that they offer several different versions with the 38 Reticule and the 1/3 dot reticule for example (Think I said it right) and also offer one that only works at the highest power and another that works at any power.
As well as a 3-10 ?
Whic reticle and model (other than the E-III Would you recomend for 600 yds and less ?
jeez I am starting to feel like I owe you a consulting fee as i am asking you so many questions ! LOL
Thanks
Craig
Craig,
No problems. I help a number of folks getting started at distance.
We all had to get help from someone at one time or another, and we just pass it on when the occasion presents itself
Without getting on the site to remember model #'s, the 4-12 I have would work fine for 600 yard shooting with the set-ups you describe.
I will get specifics to you tomorrow hopefully. smile
Ernie ,thanks a lot for the information and understanding .
Looking forward to the info tommorow !
Thanks again
Craig
This one:
http://www.burrisoptics.com/eliminatorII.html
Tnks Ernie,
Ernie what is the subtension of the dots or reticule at 100 for the III ?
I think for the II it is 1/3 inch ?
Thanks Craig
For the E-3, the subtension on the windage dots are 1 MIL.
Not sure on the vertical line (LED dots)
I wonder if it is legal in many states for big game hunting??

Everyone needs to check their state regs, but I know it has been used in a quite a few states.
Going to move the E-3 to one of my SP's next smile
At our annual Church Steel Shoot I had a college girl use my 6.5x47L with the E-3 and she took 3rd place out of 17 shooters with it, and then a couple of days later before we picked up the steel, the guys played around at 775 yards. A high school student (Colter) was using the 6.5 with the E-3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPd3bBNGbTw

Ok, I'll admit to various and sundry biased emanations regarding Burris and their Elimanator which started with the original model--way too heavy and "out of proportion" for a come-what-may rifle. It eliminated me very well.

Granted, the III almost looks like a scope now compared to the first which looked like an extended cab diesel truck parked on "a wire".

Always willing to learn and adapt. grin
George,
Hopefully you can actually shoot a rifle with a E-3 on it.
I have not found anyone yet who didn't like it.
It's just not.......right somehow. mtmuley
I can understand that.
I remember my first thoughts/doubts when I got my first Eliminator.
I actually enjoy the load development and all the ballistic math and turret twisting. I can appreciate how the scope works, I just think it may be the easy way for a lot of shooters. No learning involved. mtmuley
Wind is still the most difficult part in the equation, and the E-3 does not do that for you.
One still has to do load development or shoot factory ammo, which is the very same option for folks using traditional optics.
For the optic to work you have to know your drop in inches at 750 yards, and be able to program the data in the optic.
I understand where you are coming from, on the no learning part.

No denying the technology. I'd have been skeptical if I hadn't read what you have done with one. Don't think one is in my future, but I know a guy or two interested. mtmuley
I was able to go out and shoot with a couple from church yesterday.
He shoots a factory Remmy 300 RUM, and is still relatively new to LR.
His wife hadn't shot a centerfire rifle, but was interested in LR shooting.
For about a half hour I did a little coaching at the house working on basics.
Her husband had never used a Burris E-3 scope before, so was on the carpet checking it out after I got the basics finished.
Then it was off to Mac's Gunworks to play on some steel.
Her two biggest challenges was seeing through the scope with the full field of view and trigger pull.
The third issue was learning to use the rear bag properly, but that was minimal.
10" A-500 steel.
Every shot was hit until she went to 600 yards.
That is where the form issues begin to show themselves clearly.
Remember this was her first time ever use a centerfire rifle and a scope.
She started with 10 power and before the afternoon was over she was running everything at 14 power with no problems.
At 450 & 500 yards once she got her trigger pull down she began clustering shots that were touching on a fairly regular basis. There were a few hiccups with a few shots high but overall she was shooting awesome.

I used the 4" to 5" steel targets and ran from 200 yards to 600 (100 yard increments) yards then shot 800 & 1000 yards on 10" & 12" steel.
When she was ready for break, her husband was able to shoot it and went out to thousand yards with success.
I think she is hooked!
After taking a break from shooting she finished up at 450 yards and 500 yards.
No misses.
I am very proud of her!!!
Scopes aren't nearly enough 'tech'....yet!

I'm certain, if they were available that a 'Talking Scope' would sell like hotcakes!! One that said...."Hey Dumbazz...can't you see I'm in the process of moving the reticle based upon current input of data? Hold on before you yank the trigger!"

Yep...they'll be out soon and sales aplenty!!
Not enough coffee...? smile
© 24hourcampfire