Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Update on my 6.5x47L
I wasn't able to sight in my scope yet as I have a 30mm pic rail/base.
The Burris Eliminator III is not designed with a lot of internal MOA adjustment since the purpose of the scope is to use the technology for distance.
I put in their shim/lift kit which came in on Friday and bore sighted it easily.
Today I went the range and zeroed it at 100 yards as per the instructions.
I had already programmed it for my drop and BC.
It was easy to be exact on my 100 yard zero with the 1/8 MOA clicks on the turrets which you can zero like one would a target turret.
A friend from church who was with me helped me set up a steel target at 750 yards.
Actually we set it up at 749 but it was close enough for what I wanted.
Shooting of off a Harris bi-pod and my small Holland field bag.
Lasered the target and it came up as 749 yards which is the same distance my Leica 1600 LRF gave me.
Wind was coming from the right and I guesstimated the speed as I checked the correction for a 10 mph FV (upper right part of the scope) and held slightly right and sent it.
First shot at distance (749 yards) with Eliminator was perfect for drop, but slightly under doped the wind and hit at three O'Clock.
Best word I can come up with is giddy.
My friend from church who was watching through my spotting scope could hardly believe his eyes.
We went and took some pics then took a break as we were shooting to other rifles as well: 7mm STW & a 30-378 Weatherby.
About an hour later, Tracy shot from 400-1000 yards with first shot connections each time with my 6.5-47L.
Bright sunshine and mirage was now in play.
He said it was so easy it made him feel like he was cheating.
Since once you laser the target, everything you need to make the shot is in the optic, but you still have to determine what the wind is doing, but the correction value is right there for you.
When they say "Range it & Eliminate it!" they weren't kidding.
Tracy said when he first heard about it, he though it may be more of a gimmick and not practical for field use.
He doesn't feel that way anymore. I think the scope on his Tikka 300 WSM may be for sale in the future.
Pics of the target:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
For those who don't shoot distance much I had Tracy take two pics looking back to the bench, one with no zoom and then the second one with as much zoom this little digital camera has. On the pic that is zoomed the shooting bench is just above the head of the target.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I let him shoot the rest of my ammo that I had on hand. He was having a blast, literally.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
GB1

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I was wondering how precise those scopes were, they sounded like a gimmick to me also. Now I have to change my mind about them, let me know how it does with snowy conditions, I think that will be the test, Nice shooting...

Life's a game, hunting is serious.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Will do.
It may be awhile though....
But in WY it can change quickly

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ernie-I know you're a fan of muz brakes. I'd like to hear your comments on them...good points, and bad (if any).

Do you ever have any regrets? Thanks...

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I really like the good solid bottomed muzzle brakes.
There are a number of good designs, but I have my favorites.
I always wear hearing protection when I shoot while hunting and of course during practice.
A good brake significantly reduces felt recoil, allows you to see impacts while practicing and during hunting.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I've found if a break is designed properly, they're quite ok for regular use. A poorly designed break is no fun to anyone.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That's pretty cool!

How does the trajectory correction max out? Is it based on a max range, max correction, LRF max capability?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It max's out based upon the drop of the cartridge/bullet combo you are using. Basically, when the drop correction is lower than what can be seen in the scope.
I think even if you have a real flat cartridge it stops at 1200 yards but I need to check.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's what I recall as well. Thanks for the write-up.

I just got one in to test and plan to put it a 6.5-06. Hopefully will be able to try it would in the next couple of weeks.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does the scope have an input for air temp/density?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No it does not.
Originally Posted by 405wcf

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by xphunter
No it does not.

Uh oh! That would be a deal breaker for me. The new Leica 1600-B LRF has air temp/density AND angle built in to it's internal Ballistic Calc.

Alan

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am not suggesting this scope is for everyone. If you are regularly shooting/hunting at multiple elevations and at distances where those kind of changes makes a difference between a hit and a miss. If you already use ballistic software you know it is pretty easy once you know your drop in inches at 750 yards, it is easy to manipulate the software and change the conditions to see the difference.
Once that is done, if you are going to be going to a place which is different enough to make a difference at the distance you know or will likely be shooting then all you would have to do is change your drop in inches @ 750 and tweak the BC by correcting for the elev where you are going and you are good.
Also, knowing how temp and elev effect drop it would be easy to make slight changes in the field holding slightly higher or lower.
Doping the wind at distance will in my opinion likely cause everyone much more havoc-It is the unknown element in the equation.
I am still learning this scope myself. Did some dogging today from 382-573 yards. Worked better on pd's than I expected.
Didn't shoot that much, but enough to have some fun grin

Originally Posted by GSSP
Originally Posted by xphunter
No it does not.

Uh oh! That would be a deal breaker for me. The new Leica 1600-B LRF has air temp/density AND angle built in to it's internal Ballistic Calc.

Alan

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ernie,

Glad it's working well for you. Keep having fun!!!!

Alan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That scope sounds like some major fun.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
As mentioned did some doggin yesterday, but spent most of my time spotting for a guy who is trying to break 1,000 yards kill on a pd.
Had bright sunlight and mirage. Ranging on flat surfaces is always difficult.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ernie,

That begs the question; if you can't get a range reading via the scope but you can via a LRF, is the scope set up to dial the elev turret or hold over via the reticle?

Alan

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If you can't get a reading from the laser in the Eliminator 3 it will light up your aiming points from 200-1000 yards in 100 yard increments.
So, if you knew the range, reticle ranged it, or a bud had a separate LRF you can still put your bullet on target.
Scope is set for using the reticle to correct for drop, and hold offs for wind.
But you could dial your wind if you so desired.
If the battery dies or something you could also dial off different MIL lines for distance as well.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My friends Leica 1200 even after we got to higher ground (I quit shooting before that and had put up my rifle) and had more of a downward angle had difficulty ranging dogs.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think they are very interesting and they continue to make strides and tweak them making them even more user friendly.

Like you said they may not be for everyone but I think it's a neat deal that certainly has many applications.

I thought it would be fun on a 6.5 creedmoor AR10.

Keep shooting and posting reports.

Last edited by southwind; 09/19/12.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (35, 405winash, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 801 guests, and 769 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,388
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.