Home
Posted By: cobrad A Longer Longest Shot - 08/26/13
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Have not been able to get back out to my long range rock chuck spot again until yesterday. This was a first shot cold barrel kill at 1402 yards. I don't even want to guess the part luck played in this shot.
The short range shot of the day was at 1306.

If you look a half-inch right and a little above my right elbow in the photo, the tiny black speck is an old mining cabin where I shot from.
Great shot!!
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 08/26/13
Amazing. What Rangefinder are you using?
Posted By: Tanner Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 08/26/13
That's crazy Brad. We've got to get together next season and let me spot some of those hits.
Posted By: deflave Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 08/26/13
That's awesome cobrad. Nice shootin'.

Travis
Posted By: mmgravy Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 08/26/13
Wow!!

Great shooting....
Posted By: SLM Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 08/26/13
That is impressive.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 08/27/13
Originally Posted by cobrad
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Have not been able to get back out to my long range rock chuck spot again until yesterday. This was a first shot cold barrel kill at 1402 yards. I don't even want to guess the part luck played in this shot.
The short range shot of the day was at 1306.

If you look a half-inch right and a little above my right elbow in the photo, the tiny black speck is an old mining cabin where I shot from.

Nice shootin.....what are the fine details of your rifle, looks to be a Bat action with a SB on top.......?
Posted By: T_O_M Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 08/27/13
"Not bad for offhand with iron sights, left handed, but wearing your glasses makes it a lot less sporting." smile

Yeah, FINE shootin'!

Tom
Posted By: GSSP Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 08/27/13
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Amazing. What Rangefinder are you using?

Rick, I think Brad is using the Gunwerks G7. That said, 1402 yds exceeds the internal ballistic output by "2" yds. So either he extrapolated the extra 2 yards or pulled the temp, baro and distance off the G7 and input the data into some handheld device.

Alan
Posted By: cobrad Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 08/27/13
Thanks guys.
I am using a G7 BR2. I ranged the rock face below the 'chuck at 1399 to get a ballistic solution from the range finder. I'm going back up next weekend to see if I can get another hundred yards, but will have to print out a sheet from the software for solutions. Next year I'll resort to a small hand-held computer.

Ackleyfan, the rifle is built on a BAT HR action with integral 20 MOA rail, Kreiger #19 taper barrel cut to 28", chambered for 7 Rem mag, throated for the Berger 180 gr VLD, with a neck diameter of .307. RWS neck-turned brass is used. Trigger is a 20 oz. Jewell, Stock is a Greybull with the bedding block milled out and conventional bedding of the action. Scope is a 4-16x50 Schmidt Bender PMII.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 08/27/13
Do they still sell the grey bull stock?
Posted By: GSSP Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 08/27/13

I am using a G7 BR2. I ranged the rock face below the 'chuck at 1399 to get a ballistic solution from the range finder.

I would have done the same thing with G7.

I'm going back up next weekend to see if I can get another hundred yards, but will have to print out a sheet from the software for solutions. Next year I'll resort to a small hand-held computer.

Brad,

If you have a smart phone you can simply download like Shooter, Ballistic, Strelok, etc. for a minimal amount of money and be using it by this coming weekend. I can talk you through both the download as well as using Shooter; very easy.

Alan
I had Shooter on my last smart phone, but after the phone drown,I never put it on my new one. I would appreciate it if you would care to instruct how to get it up and working on a droid.
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Do they still sell the grey bull stock?

Yes they do. If his website, greybull precision isn't up, find John Burns here on the campfire. He is Mr. Greybull Precision.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 08/28/13
Thanks guys.
I am using a G7 BR2. I ranged the rock face below the 'chuck at 1399 to get a ballistic solution from the range finder. I'm going back up next weekend to see if I can get another hundred yards, but will have to print out a sheet from the software for solutions. Next year I'll resort to a small hand-held computer.

Ackleyfan, the rifle is built on a BAT HR action with integral 20 MOA rail, Kreiger #19 taper barrel cut to 28", chambered for 7 Rem mag, throated for the Berger 180 gr VLD, with a neck diameter of .307. RWS neck-turned brass is used. Trigger is a 20 oz. Jewell, Stock is a Greybull with the bedding block milled out and conventional bedding of the action. Scope is a 4-16x50 Schmidt Bender PMII.

Would be hard to top your build..and the results show it!
Posted By: aalf Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 08/28/13
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Would be hard to top your build..and the results show it!

Amen......I've often though a camping/rock chuck trip would be pretty cool.

Posted By: EddyBo Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 08/29/13
Great shooting Cobrad WTG.
Posted By: cobrad Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 08/30/13
I printed out data sheets in 10 yard increments to 2000 yards and went out to do a little testing a couple days ago. My next goal is a mile. I found a place I can shoot that distance and made a few shots to see. There were marmots there, but they would not come up on the rocks where I need them.
I'll get out and try again sometime in the next week.
Posted By: Tanner Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 08/30/13
Chucks (I've only shot yellow bellied marmots) are ridiculously fun to see and shoot. They're cool little critters in general, and when they sit out there at 500+ (or 1k+ in Brad's case) they present a GREAT hunting practice target.

Plus, as seen in Brad's pics, they're found in some pretty badass places.
Posted By: jpb Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 08/30/13
I had Shooter on my last smart phone, but after the phone drown,I never put it on my new one. I would appreciate it if you would care to instruct how to get it up and working on a droid.

Although I have not yet used that particular program, I may still be able to help.

Point your Android browser to the Google Play store and be prepared to pay about 10 bucks.

Shooter ballistic program for Android on the Google Play store

Anybody who is not familiar with the program can use a regular browser on a computer to visit the same url to read about the program and see some of its excellent graphics.

Cheers from Sweden (where we suffer a real shortage of rock chucks to shoot). frown cry

John
Posted By: 65BR Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 09/02/13
16x for a 1400 yd Rock Chuck shot, and folks think they need HIGH Zoom on deer, elk, and bear for distances 1/3 - 1/4 that...makes you wonder. Nice rifle and shooting, congrats.
Posted By: Seafire Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 09/02/13
Well done!
Posted By: Ringman Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 09/02/13
folks think they need HIGH Zoom on deer, elk, and bear for distances 1/3 - 1/4 that...makes you wonder.

Need? Who says anything about need? But then why didn't the shooter use a fixed 6X? Or even a fixed 4X?
Posted By: Tanner Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 09/03/13
JFC....another gem....
Posted By: cobrad Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 09/03/13
I have to say that Schmidt Bender is unlike any scope I've used before. The optics are phenomenal! I would not have believed 16X could offer this kind of capability. My 'smith was emphatic that this was THE scope to use on his rifles. Now I know why he was so adamant about S&B.
I was out today shooting at marmots at a measured mile. I believe this is probably the limits of the scope... or at least my eyes even with this scope. I had some very near misses, but no mile marmot, yet.
To console myself I went up another drainage with my elk rifle and pounded two off the same rock at 631 yards with the 2.5-10 Nightforce compact mounted on that rifle. It too is a custom, built by Allen Precision. Stiller action, Satern barrel, Jewell trigger, Manners MCS-SL carbon fiber stock. I took a few shots at 978 yards, with a couple near misses and a couple at 1008 with no near misses. I think this may be pushing too far for this 8 lb, scoped, rifle. So far it has knocked off marmots out to 600 yards with a very satisfying regularity. [img:center][Linked Image][/img]
Posted By: matt_allen Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 09/03/13
Man you live in a beautiful part of the world!
Posted By: cobrad Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 09/03/13
Originally Posted by matt_allen
Man you live in a beautiful part of the world!

I couldn't agree more.
My folks grew up in MN. They moved here when I was starting school. I went back there once and all I could think was it's a nice enough place, but thank heavens they moved here. I love this place.
Posted By: matt_allen Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 09/03/13
yes a lot better to look at then iowa corn fields that's for sure
Posted By: jsthntn247 Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 09/03/13
Originally Posted by matt_allen
yes a lot better to look at then iowa corn fields that's for sure
I'll gladly takes those crappy Iowa cornfields any day. I'd be squashing big bucks left and rigt.
Posted By: Tanner Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 09/03/13
Ya' definitely can't drive a combine up to the rock-chuck spots...grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: matt_allen Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 09/04/13
Well we do have those.... an tanner ur def right there!
Posted By: cobrad Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 09/04/13
Hey Tanner, that spot looks familiar... have you found my marmot hunting place?!
You and I have talked about this before, Lets get together and go shoot some.
Posted By: brdana Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 09/04/13

Brad, Go into your ap store and download it again. If you have the same platform you will not have to purchase it again. I have used my original Shooter program on three different phones over the years.
Posted By: cobrad Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 09/05/13
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Brad
Posted By: tt35 Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 09/05/13
A 1400 yard rockchuck would be a commendable feat even if you had used a few rounds to get onto him. A first round hit at that range is phenomenal. Congrats! And, I can relate to taking a "frustration shot" at a closer 'chuck after awhile. I'm glad I'm not the only one!
Posted By: sscoyote Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 09/06/13
Here's to ya' Brad. You are da' man sir! Looks like another article for VHA Mag., ehh? Still shootin' those JLK Low Drags? I kinda' gave up on mine--they sure shoot great but don't give great terminal effect on coyotes out of my AR. Miss those marmot trips from years ago--these guys were from a 7-08 XP/140 NBTs built by Chunk Youngblood (taught Greg Tannel, when I believe Tannel was a kid cleaning the auto shop Chunk managed a long time ago), in my youth...another long time ago--

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Ringman Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 09/07/13
Still shootin' those JLK Low Drags? I kinda' gave up on mine--they sure shoot great but don't give great terminal effect on coyotes out of my AR

They didn't work for me also. Accuracy was fine, but all they ever did was wound animals. Once I switched to Nosler Ballistic Tips the wounding stopped.
Posted By: cobrad Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 09/08/13
Steve, good to hear from you.
I'm still using the JLK's. Got a PD at 683 yds with them last winter. I've got about 700 of them left, then it'll be time for a new barrel anyway.
I'm thinking 6XC for higher BC bullets that are more frangible. I've been pretty impressed with the Berger hunting VLD's I'm using on these long range marmots.
I've thought about an article for VHA. When hunting seasons are over I'll give it some real thought.
Posted By: Grand Re: A Longer Longest Shot - 09/12/13
I spotted some Marmots on Mt. Hoffman at the North end of Yosemite National Park a couple years back. Patiently waiting for a permit from Obama to shoot them.
© 24hourcampfire