Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cobrad
I had Shooter on my last smart phone, but after the phone drown,I never put it on my new one. I would appreciate it if you would care to instruct how to get it up and working on a droid.

Although I have not yet used that particular program, I may still be able to help.

Point your Android browser to the Google Play store and be prepared to pay about 10 bucks.

Shooter ballistic program for Android on the Google Play store

Anybody who is not familiar with the program can use a regular browser on a computer to visit the same url to read about the program and see some of its excellent graphics.

Cheers from Sweden (where we suffer a real shortage of rock chucks to shoot). frown cry

John

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
16x for a 1400 yd Rock Chuck shot, and folks think they need HIGH Zoom on deer, elk, and bear for distances 1/3 - 1/4 that...makes you wonder. Nice rifle and shooting, congrats.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well done!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
folks think they need HIGH Zoom on deer, elk, and bear for distances 1/3 - 1/4 that...makes you wonder.

Need? Who says anything about need? But then why didn't the shooter use a fixed 6X? Or even a fixed 4X?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JFC....another gem....

IC B2

C
cobrad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I have to say that Schmidt Bender is unlike any scope I've used before. The optics are phenomenal! I would not have believed 16X could offer this kind of capability. My 'smith was emphatic that this was THE scope to use on his rifles. Now I know why he was so adamant about S&B.
I was out today shooting at marmots at a measured mile. I believe this is probably the limits of the scope... or at least my eyes even with this scope. I had some very near misses, but no mile marmot, yet.
To console myself I went up another drainage with my elk rifle and pounded two off the same rock at 631 yards with the 2.5-10 Nightforce compact mounted on that rifle. It too is a custom, built by Allen Precision. Stiller action, Satern barrel, Jewell trigger, Manners MCS-SL carbon fiber stock. I took a few shots at 978 yards, with a couple near misses and a couple at 1008 with no near misses. I think this may be pushing too far for this 8 lb, scoped, rifle. So far it has knocked off marmots out to 600 yards with a very satisfying regularity. [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man you live in a beautiful part of the world!

Never trust a man in a wheel chair...with dirty shoes.
C
cobrad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by matt_allen
Man you live in a beautiful part of the world!

I couldn't agree more.
My folks grew up in MN. They moved here when I was starting school. I went back there once and all I could think was it's a nice enough place, but thank heavens they moved here. I love this place.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yes a lot better to look at then iowa corn fields that's for sure

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by matt_allen
yes a lot better to look at then iowa corn fields that's for sure
I'll gladly takes those crappy Iowa cornfields any day. I'd be squashing big bucks left and rigt.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ya' definitely can't drive a combine up to the rock-chuck spots...grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well we do have those.... an tanner ur def right there!

C
cobrad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Hey Tanner, that spot looks familiar... have you found my marmot hunting place?!
You and I have talked about this before, Lets get together and go shoot some.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by cobrad
I had Shooter on my last smart phone, but after the phone drown,I never put it on my new one. I would appreciate it if you would care to instruct how to get it up and working on a droid.

Brad, Go into your ap store and download it again. If you have the same platform you will not have to purchase it again. I have used my original Shooter program on three different phones over the years.

Brad
C
cobrad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Brad

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A 1400 yard rockchuck would be a commendable feat even if you had used a few rounds to get onto him. A first round hit at that range is phenomenal. Congrats! And, I can relate to taking a "frustration shot" at a closer 'chuck after awhile. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here's to ya' Brad. You are da' man sir! Looks like another article for VHA Mag., ehh? Still shootin' those JLK Low Drags? I kinda' gave up on mine--they sure shoot great but don't give great terminal effect on coyotes out of my AR. Miss those marmot trips from years ago--these guys were from a 7-08 XP/140 NBTs built by Chunk Youngblood (taught Greg Tannel, when I believe Tannel was a kid cleaning the auto shop Chunk managed a long time ago), in my youth...another long time ago--

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still shootin' those JLK Low Drags? I kinda' gave up on mine--they sure shoot great but don't give great terminal effect on coyotes out of my AR

They didn't work for me also. Accuracy was fine, but all they ever did was wound animals. Once I switched to Nosler Ballistic Tips the wounding stopped.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
cobrad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Steve, good to hear from you.
I'm still using the JLK's. Got a PD at 683 yds with them last winter. I've got about 700 of them left, then it'll be time for a new barrel anyway.
I'm thinking 6XC for higher BC bullets that are more frangible. I've been pretty impressed with the Berger hunting VLD's I'm using on these long range marmots.
I've thought about an article for VHA. When hunting seasons are over I'll give it some real thought.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I spotted some Marmots on Mt. Hoffman at the North end of Yosemite National Park a couple years back. Patiently waiting for a permit from Obama to shoot them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (22kHornet, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 55 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,347
Posts18,506,203
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.