Home
Posted By: BigNate Nosler 28 - 01/22/15
Well it's on thier page and they're taking pre orders.

This is more in my interest than the 26 and may be my next rifle. It has the long range performance in a bullet weight and diameter that's leaving a bigger hole. The ballistics page indicate 3100 fps starting out, and trajectory is of course good.

Nosler 28 web link
Posted By: Biebs Re: Nosler 28 - 01/22/15
Can you say "7mm Wby, STW, Ultramag, Dakota?"
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: Nosler 28 - 01/22/15
Don't forget to add 7 LRM to that mix.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Nosler 28 - 01/22/15
Yes in a 26" barrel 3150 175 ABLR or 3300 160 AB
but this can be had in a standard length action of COAL of 3.340"
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Nosler 28 - 01/22/15
Originally Posted by Biebs
Can you say "7mm Wby, STW, Ultramag, Dakota?"

First two have belts. You can't even buy Ultramag ammo, much less brass now. Dakota ain't makin' brass, Nosler is.

AI chassis, 28in heavy palma with a rem-nut. Fat Bastard brake. I'd like to have one if the brass isn't five bucks each.

Every trigger pull is likely burning 40-50cents worth of barrel steel. Maybe setting the same barrel back might be an option. Rem-nut barrel for sure.
Posted By: BigNate Re: Nosler 28 - 01/22/15
I HAD a 7 Rem Mag and never got the performance out of it I thought it should deliver. Pulled that tube for a .300WM and kept thinking I may do a new barrel based on a .375 Ruger to get the larger case in a standard action.

The belt is a waste of space in the magazine, but doesn't hurt anything else. I'd been considering a .338/.375R or similar. This 28N seems like a simple swap to a "standard" cartridge. The cost of brass will suck at first but probably not a big deal when considering many other endevours.

Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Nosler 28 - 01/22/15
Originally Posted by BigNate
The cost of brass will suck at first but probably not a big deal when considering many other endevours.

True. Especially so if you keep the loads toned down, and if you do that, then maybe the barrel won't go tits up as fast, sort of like the claims being made about the 6.5 SAUM. I think this cartridge has promise. Time will tell. A 180gr Berger @ 3000fps with mild pressure is a win/win, IMO.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Nosler 28 - 01/23/15
What do you get when you combine a re-tread with a glocktard?
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Nosler 28 - 01/23/15
Originally Posted by smokepole

I dunno? Healthy shoulders? Got pullups? Gimp.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Nosler 28 - 01/23/15
Yes in a 26" barrel 3150 175 ABLR or 3300 160 AB
but this can be had in a standard length action of COAL of 3.340"

I will display my ignorance here, but what company makes a "standard length action"? The ones I know about are either long actions or short actions.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Nosler 28 - 01/23/15
RM, there are 4 basic action lengths.

Short: .308
WSM
Standard: 30.06
Longs: 7mm STW.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

WSM

There are two, sort of, short and long, but they vary by maker. WSM's won't work in a SA remmy, not very well anyway. Then there are mausers, which vary even more, as I recall.

WSM

I am familiar with the short actions: .308, .243, etc, and long actions: 7STW, .300 Magnums, but I don't know about any "standard .30-06 actions. The .30-06, .270, .280 etc are build on long actions as far as I know. The major factories don't use a "standard .30-06 action".

The Klienguenther K14 and K15's that I purchased in 7mm Rem Mag came in a long action which I rechambered to 7-.300 Wea. When the barrels wore out I had them chambered to 7-.300 Wea. The actions were not changed at all. The 7mm Rem Mag is the same length as the ".30-06 standard length".
Originally Posted by Ringman
The 7mm Rem Mag is the same length as the ".30-06 standard length".

Remingtons, yes, but I'm not sure about others. Didn't the H&H's have to be chambered in an action longer than the original 8mm 98? I'm asking, not stating.
Didn't the H&H's have to be chambered in an action longer than the original 8mm 98? I'm asking, not stating.

Yes. They are the parent case for many of the present magnums.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Nosler 28 - 01/23/15
so what's all the bs about the ridiculous " 30 aught six length " crap anyway ? (same Rem long action may as well use it to full potential)

cartridges like the 375 Ruger and 26, 28 Nosler are hyped up to possess this extraordinary magical trait ..... how does 30-06 length make them better ??
Posted By: smokepole Re: Nosler 28 - 01/23/15
Originally Posted by Glocktard

I dunno? Healthy shoulders? Got pullups? Gimp.

Re-tort is not what I was looking for.
Posted By: tomk Re: Nosler 28 - 01/23/15
Mauser is standard...and everything else is either long or short...:)

of course, there is the magnum & mini-mauser...
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Nosler 28 - 01/23/15
I'll give Nosler style points for ingenuity and marketing but as far as minute of meat not much better than most present offerings.They're loony chamberings and nothing more IMO.
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
I'll give Nosler style points for ingenuity and marketing but as far as minute of meat not much better than most present offerings.They're loony chamberings and nothing more IMO.

Whatever, but this will be, possibly, the FIRST commercial fast seven, sans belt, with quality brass, that will hopefully be available when and if you need it.

Paying around a buck a pop and then having to go through case-forming gyrations ain't my idea of a good time. YMMV.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Nosler 28 - 01/23/15
I'm certainly not chop busting for those interested or have the hots for one as I have a 6.5/06 AI I'm quite fond of just don't think their performance envelopes are that much better.I have several wildcats and case forming has never been much of an issue.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Nosler 28 - 01/23/15
The neck length on that thing is way to short.
7mm Mashburn is where you need to be.
dave
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Nosler 28 - 01/24/15
whole lot of clueless going on in this one.

(quick reply,take offense if needed)
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Nosler 28 - 01/24/15
A Ruger 77 is a "standard" length long action. Remington and Winchesters are magnum length long actions.
Posted By: NWBlacktail Re: Nosler 28 - 01/24/15
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
A Ruger 77 is a "standard" length long action. Remington and Winchesters are magnum length long actions.

Yep, my M77 300 win mag I can hardly seat bullets out past 3.36" without risking hitting the magazine. My Rem 700 270 win I can seat bullets as far as they could possibly go, and still have lots of room.
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Nosler 28 - 01/24/15
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Yep.

Ruger made the RSM Magnum actions for 375 length cartridges, but all of the rest are SA or "standard" (30-06 length).
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Nosler 28 - 01/24/15
When you have a 7 RUM or an STW, the 28 Nosler is a "WTF?"
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Really? You cant see an advantage to a shorter hull shooting 180's? WTF

IMO, its one of the best case designs for long bullets in a 3.6" magazine..hell of a lot better than an STW/RUM
Posted By: Nomosendero2 Re: Nosler 28 - 01/24/15
They will likely have a 30 Nosler next year. I think with a 230 gr. Berger seated to max length in a Rem 700 action (or that length action)running about 3000 would be just right for me.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Nosler 28 - 01/24/15
Originally Posted by rosco1

IMO, its one of the best case designs for long bullets in a 3.6" magazine..hell of a lot better than an STW/RUM

Can a 28 Nosler get 3400 with a 180 Berger?
Posted By: Bella1 Re: Nosler 28 - 01/24/15
If they make the 30 Nosler just call it the 300 Damota
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Nosler 28 - 01/24/15

Seating heavy bullets below the neck is considered very bad form in some circles... smile

I don't see what's not to like here. Seems the case has about the same capacity as a 7 STW (with bullets seated);a few gr less than a 7 RUM. Fits a 3.6 box and does not have a belt,(which some dwell on but not a concern to me)....but no belt and there's more room for powder.

I bet it works fine.

But I still don't need one.... wink
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Nosler 28 - 01/24/15
Anybody got a link to a dimensional drawing of the 28 Nosler? Didn't see anything at the OP's link.

A quick perusal of Hornaday's manual of 7mm case necks was interesting. The Dakota's appears to be the longest. The RUM's is short, not designed for heavies, and if you look at the twist rates of factory barrels and the ammo they sell for it that is obvious.

A 180 Berget at 3000fps with mild enough pressure for long case life is the proper goal, IMO. 3400 benefits barrel makers more than anyone else.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Nosler 28 - 01/24/15
A 180 Berget at 3000fps with mild enough pressure for long case life is the proper goal, IMO. 3400 benefits barrel makers more than anyone else.

You don't see a difference between the wind drift of a 3,000 feet per second and a 3,400 feet per second bullet?
Posted By: smokepole Re: Nosler 28 - 01/24/15
He'll never get one anyway so it really doesn't matter.
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Nosler 28 - 01/24/15
If I am gonna try my best to cheat the wind and burn 100 grs. of powder I would stick with a .338 Lapua, still beats a 180 gr. hybrid at 3400 fps, do a comparison. And if you think a 28 nosler will do 3400 with the 180 you will be wrong. unless you have magic powder, magic barrel and magic chronograph..
Just my opinion.......
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Nosler 28 - 01/24/15
280 AI is my favorite 28 with a Nosler.

It aint always about speed..Lots of guys need pictures and long explanations as to why, you shouldn't be one of them..

As an aside, you seeing 3400 out of a RUM or STW with 180's? Cool dude! funny how I have to really push a 300 RUM to see the same.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Nosler 28 - 01/24/15

Rick, are you implying that a RUM or STW can get to 3400 with a 180 Berger?

Tanner
I'm sure there will be a handful of guys say theirs do it..It is the internet.
Posted By: Aught6 Re: Nosler 28 - 01/24/15
Looks interesting. Everyone hates change, no one likes the new kid, and soon everyone will get over it. I don't need one but Nosler trying to do something a little different is a good thing and why not. If you don't try it you never know if it will work or make a difference. I sure as hell don't need a 7mm hybrid slug going 3400 fps with insane BC. I kill chit regularly and efficiently with a long bow flinging wooden sticks at about 180 fps under 30 yards but I won't fault anyone trying to find an edge or a niche unexplored.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Nosler 28 - 01/24/15
Sure has a short neck.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Nosler 28 - 01/25/15

Maybe, you'll likely never do another pullup in your life, but I will.

You don't see a difference between the wind drift of a 3,000 feet per second and a 3,400 feet per second bullet?

Can you say, "bullet blow-up"?
Posted By: smokepole Re: Nosler 28 - 01/25/15

Don't bet on it, 'tard. The thing you pull up best is only 3" though. On a good day.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Nosler 28 - 01/25/15
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Sure has a short neck.

Originally Posted by dave7mm
The neck length on that thing is way to short.
7mm Mashburn is where you need to be.
dave

Dave
Posted By: Backroads Re: Nosler 28 - 01/25/15

How many sit-ups can you do TAK?
Posted By: Ringman Re: Nosler 28 - 01/25/15

Maybe you didn't notice it, but this is the Long Range Hunting forum.
Originally Posted by Backroads

Situps on the floor are for the silly and ignorant. When I do them, I do so on a glute-ham developer in the same numbers I do back extensions on said contraption

After pondering various cartidges, I've decided to wait for the 30 Nosler. The 28 will push a 180 Berger just a tad faster than a 7RSAUM will push a 162, which I already have and like.

I predict the 30 Nosler/208 AMAX will be the LR combo to beat

Maybe you didn't notice it, but this is the Long Range Hunting forum.

I thought this was the "My wife is leaving, should I lawyer up?" forum.

I was thinking more about jacket separation in flight than blowing up on a shoulder, but 3400fps might be asking for that with a lot of composite bullets.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Nosler 28 - 01/25/15
Originally Posted by Backroads

Situps on the floor are for the silly and ignorant. When I do them, I do so on a glute-ham developer in the same numbers I do back extensions on said contraption

After pondering various cartidges, I've decided to wait for the 30 Nosler. The 28 will push a 180 Berger just a tad faster than a 7RSAUM will push a 162, which I already have and like.

I predict the 30 Nosler/208 AMAX will be the LR combo to beat

The 230 Berger hybrid OTM tactical will smoke the 208

About which I am completely in the dark. Tell me more.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Nosler 28 - 01/25/15
Better BC and out of a case that can shoot it fast it would rule

So, 300 RUM or close in case capacity?
Posted By: smokepole Re: Nosler 28 - 01/25/15

About which I am completely in the dark. Tell me more.

So, 300 RUM or close in case capacity?

So, You don't have the time to educate yourself on LR bullets, and don't have the time to learn about the chamberings themselves, yet still find the time to regale us with your thoughts on which combination will "rule."

Another classic, destined for the take-a-knee chronicles.

Here are a few links with the case capacities you were wondering about. Don't feel bad, I had to pull out all the stops to find this information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.26_Nosler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_Remington_Ultra_Magnum
The RUM is TOO LONG to seat high BC OTM's mag length, genius. Even the 300 RUM is still overbore. I have a drawing of the RUM's in various manuals of course. Since you're in such a "helpful" mode, produce a drawing of the 28 Nosler, since you're a cripple you should have plenty of time to do so. I have things to do and I'll check back later.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Nosler 28 - 01/25/15
Glocktard,

You may not realize it but a high BC bullet can be seated deeper with the boat tail encroaching into the powder space. With this situation one still has more powder capacity than a shorter case has with the bullet seated "correctly".

Why are you so angry and obnoxious?
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Nosler 28 - 01/25/15

[Linked Image]]photobucket[/url]
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Nosler 28 - 01/25/15
The RUM is TOO LONG to seat high BC OTM's mag length, genius. Even the 300 RUM is still overbore. I have a drawing of the RUM's in various manuals of course. Since you're in such a "helpful" mode, produce a drawing of the 28 Nosler, since you're a cripple you should have plenty of time to do so. I have things to do and I'll check back later.

You do know that one can use different bottom metal and seat the bullets out to 3.9" COAL don't you?

Deleted
Originally Posted by jwp475

You do know that one can use different bottom metal and seat the bullets out to 3.9" COAL don't you?

I did not. The only long-actions I've ever owned were a 30/06 and a 7rem/mag and those were long ago. I'm thinking DBM for this one anyway and I don't know the specs on LA Acc Int stocks.
The bottom of the bullets bearing surface should be seated at the juncture of the case-neck and shoulder, IMO. That would place the base of the bullet near the juncture of the shoulder and sidewall, most likely.
The drawing has a typo. The length to the base of the case neck is incorrect.

I did not. The only long-actions I've ever owned were a 30/06 and a 7rem/mag and those were long ago. I'm thinking DBM for this one anyway and I don't know the specs on LA Acc Int stocks.

I used Seekin's DBM on my 338 Laupa and the inside dimension is 3.92"

Posted By: smokepole Re: Nosler 28 - 01/26/15
The RUM is TOO LONG to seat high BC OTM's mag length, genius.

I did not. The only long-actions I've ever owned were a 30/06 and a 7rem/mag....

Another instant classic for the T-A-K chronicles!!
Posted By: Ringman Re: Nosler 28 - 01/26/15
The bottom of the bullets bearing surface should be seated at the juncture of the case-neck and shoulder, IMO.

Should? That sounds like an ethics position. Never the less, your opinion and mine are the same when I made my .224MBOC. That was the whole idea behind it. But just because I did it once does not make it correct for my next wildcat or anyone else's wildcat or factory cartridge.
Since you're in such a "helpful" mode, produce a drawing of the 28 Nosler, since you're a cripple you should have plenty of time to do so. I have things to do and I'll check back later.

You need a picture of the 28 Nosler so you can see whether its case capacity is similar to the RUM? Wow, I did not know that.

Here I was thinking that since the 26 and 28 Noslers both use the same parent case, and the neck diameter has only 20 thousandths difference, the two cases would have capacities that were very close.

Well, you learn something every day.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Nosler 28 - 01/26/15
Since you're in such a "helpful" mode, produce a drawing of the 28 Nosler, since you're a cripple you should have plenty of time to do so. I have things to do and I'll check back later.

You need a picture of the 28 Nosler so you can see whether its case capacity is similar to the RUM?

No, you silly SOB. I was interested in the length of the neck.
Now now glockturd, no need to get ruffled. Look at the 26, tap your ruby slippers, and imagine that the neck is 20 thousandths of an inch larger in diameter. And consequently less than 20 thousandths longer.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Nosler 28 - 01/26/15
The bottom of the bullets bearing surface should be seated at the juncture of the case-neck and shoulder, IMO.

Should? That sounds like an ethics position. Never the less, your opinion and mine are the same when I made my .224MBOC. That was the whole idea behind it. But just because I did it once does not make it correct for my next wildcat or anyone else's wildcat or factory cartridge.

I don't think one can produce evidence that bullet base/case neck-shoulder seating accomplishes anything. One needs enough bullet in the neck for stability of the round and consistent resistence if the bullet isn't touching the lands.

The bottom line, how does it shoot? What's the optimal jump for that load/bullet combo...

DF
Shhhhhh, he's on a roll.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Nosler 28 - 01/26/15
The bottom of the bullets bearing surface should be seated at the juncture of the case-neck and shoulder, IMO. That would place the base of the bullet near the juncture of the shoulder and sidewall, most likely.

Why?
Shhhhhh, he's on a roll.

laugh

Gotcha... cool

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I don't think one can produce evidence that bullet base/case neck-shoulder seating accomplishes anything.

Thanks for squaring me away. By that same logic, truing an action is silly as hell as well. Thanks.

Also, by that same logic, I won't need to replace that expensive 78in door jamb level of mine either. I can just use a little torpedo level. I'm certain now it'll work just as well.
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Nosler 28 - 01/26/15

I don't think one can produce evidence that bullet base/case neck-shoulder seating accomplishes anything.

Thanks for squaring me away. By that same logic, truing an action is silly as hell as well. Thanks.

Also, by that same logic, I won't need to replace that expensive 78in door jamb level of mine either. I can just use a little torpedo level. I'm certain now it'll work just as well.

Did you ever learn how to work a camera?

David
Glocktard,

It's tough to get back to neutral, but I'm going to try.

Do you know of some tests or experiments to establish where the bottom of the bullet should be for best efficiency and accuracy?

Why?

Again. WHY?

No logic in your reply, you stil haven't stated why the bullet should not be seated below the neck shoulder junction.
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Nosler 28 - 01/26/15
I'm aware of extended mags and all.But there is something to be said about a more efficient cart working in a 3.6" mag that allows you many moves in regards to seating depth/land engagement . A wyatts center feed (that holds 2 down) or detachable mag are your only moves..I dont really like either on everyday hunters..YMMV

The Nosler carts are a step in the right direction IMO, along with the new 300 and 338 Norma..Finally

RUM on the left 7wby on the right. and that aint even a long bullet in the RUM.a 230 hybrid at mag length in that cart is ridiculous. A 2.5" case gives a guy some moves,the new ones coming along on with the 404J diameter are long overdue.E know its nothing new, its all been done before, but I think the timing is right for them to have some success this time.

long explanation with a picture.

[Linked Image]

Logic?

DF
Posted By: 79inpa Re: Nosler 28 - 01/26/15
so will the 284 nosler will work best when made on a 30 06 length action instead of a 7mm magnum length action? Talking a Remington 700 here.
since they are the same, yes?

No logic in your reply, you stil haven't stated why the bullet should not be seated below the neck shoulder junction.
[/quote]

I didn't say there was anything WRONG with doing so, other than taking up powder space, but having 100% the bullets bearing surface in contact with the case neck isn't something I need "science" to figure out is a good idea.

I'm talking optimum, not make do here.
Originally Posted by 79inpa
so will the 284 nosler will work best when made on a 30 06 length action instead of a 7mm magnum length action? Talking a Remington 700 here.

Maybe, haven't done the math yet, but loading long/heavy high BC bullet might create a problem where a bunch of the bullet's bearing surface is below the case neck, which is hardly ideal for optimal accuracy.
Here are four of the bullets I will use in my new wildcats. Both will have necks in the neighborhood of .300". Notice the length of the bearing surfaces will give a lot of latitude for over all lengths.

[Linked Image]

edited to add the bearing lengths: 123 Scenar - .368", 106 G.S.Custom - .300", 142 Matrix - .400", 130 Cutting Edge - .440"
Originally Posted by 79inpa

Maybe, haven't done the math yet, but loading long/heavy high BC bullet might create a problem where a bunch of the bullet's bearing surface is below the case neck, which is hardly ideal for optimal accuracy.

JFC
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Nosler 28 - 01/26/15
Many thanks to Swamplord and Ringman

case water capacity was established with a new 26 Nosler case necked up to 7mm and no other changes .......

a dry empty case with a live WLRM primer was weighed and then case was filled with water to top of case .... I repeated the water weight 20 times and 370.1 gr was the most constant at 14 times, the other 6 weights showed 370.0 gr
nope, nothing to like there.. You happen to have a similar cut away of an STW or RUM, to really paint a picture?

Originally Posted by Swamplord

Posted By: Tanner Re: Nosler 28 - 01/26/15
Yeah, but you see how those bullets are approximately .001 of a [bleep] hair past the neck/shoulder junction? Won't shoot worth a schit.... Next!

Tanner
Originally Posted by Tanner
Yeah, but you see how those bullets are approximately .001 of a [bleep] hair past the neck/shoulder junction? Won't shoot worth a schit.... Next!

Tanner

Maybe, maybe not. Pressure increase is a given though the deeper you seat. May not matter. Sometimes it might.
Damn, back to the drawing board.

Tanner

Maybe, maybe not. Pressure increase is a given though the deeper you seat. May not matter. Sometimes it might.

you're in way over your head..please stop.

Tanner

Not really... Backing away from the lands will simultaneously decrease pressure.... But only a guy with your type of Gifted Spidey Sense would know exactly how much....

Tanner
Your going to break his googler if you aint careful

Not really... Backing away from the lands will simultaneously decrease pressure.... But only a guy with your type of Gifted Spidey Sense would know exactly how much....

Tanner [/quote]

Got it. That means bullet setback in an AR never blew up a rifle. Thanks.

I never would've known that backing a bullet off the lands decreased pressure. Is that why they make them thar case trimmin' things? A little case mouth jammed into the leade don't hurt nothin', right?
So what you are saying is that backing a bullet away from the lands does NOT, in fact, decrease pressure? Not that you had any credibility beforehand, but goodness gracious dude... Lay off the White Lightning....

BTW, we are talking precision bullets and precision rifles here Rambo... Not AR's stuffed with FMJs...

Tanner
So what you are saying is that backing a bullet away from the lands does NOT, in fact, decrease pressure?

Are you required to take some sort of reading comprehension test (Regents or similar) to graduate from college in CO?

BTW, we are talking precision bullets and precision rifles here Rambo... Not AR's stuffed with FMJs...

Tanner

Sorry, I guess that other physics book applies to those.
you really havent got the first clue,do you?
you really havent got the first clue,do you?

N-I-G-G-E-R please!
went to not knowing how long a long action is to a ballistician right before our eyes.TFF

And don't forget Master Physicist to boot.... Jackoff of all trades...

I never would've known that backing a bullet off the lands decreased pressure. Is that why they make them thar case trimmin' things? A little case mouth jammed into the leade don't hurt nothin', right?

Still trying to figure out what in the actual [bleep] one has to do with the other here..are you just regurgitating everything you've ever read hoping you get something right?

If so, it aint workin out for you..But do keep trying, its pretty funny.
And don't forget Master Physicist to boot.... Jackoff of all trades...

You must be an English or Sociology major, you have such a way with words.

Still trying to figure out what in the actual [bleep] one has to do with the other here..are you just regurgitating everything you've ever read hoping you get something right?

You are one stupid SOB

BTW, I dated a girl that named my dick Rosco
Yes, its obvious i'm the stupid one here lmao.

Going straight to cock talk was the only move you had.

We would all still like to know what case trim length has to do with this discussion.. Hint, a case to the lands vs a bullet in the lands is like comparing apples and aardvarks

A little more on how moving the bullet away from the lands increases pressure please,thanks!
In the spring/summer (2014) when I first got a box of brass I necked up the 26 Nosler to .284", .308", .338" & .375" and seated the heavies for each caliber in order to determine case capacity impact of each bullet... It was easy to see that this case will work great with the lighter bullets ( what's the point ? )
the heavier high bc bullets were shoved deep into the case when seated to the max cartridge overall length of 3.340" .......

in all bullet diameters from .264" to .375" in the interest of full use of powder capacity..... the only route to go is the RUM action .... In that event, I would rather go with the RUM case , I abandoned my 26 Nosler wildcats project (another dude on LRH continued and is doing them all) I went back to the 300 Norma and 338 Norma Mag case for my wildcats as it was much better suited for the long high bc bullets in each caliber without case capacity loss and still cycle in AICS cip length detachable mags ...

all bullets seated to 3.650"
from left to right ....

26 Nosler 160 gr Matrix VLD Bonded
28 Nosler 180 gr Berger VLD Hunting
30 Nosler 230 gr W3PS TAC PM RBT
33 Nosler 300 gr Berger VLD Hunting
37 Nosler 320 gr Cutting Edge Match Tactical Hunting

It was easy to see that this case will work great with the lighter bullets ( what's the point ? )
the heavier high bc bullets were shoved deep into the case when seated to the max cartridge overall length of 3.340" .......

in all bullet diameters from .264" to .375" in the interest of full use of powder capacity.

Cool experiment..But I dont exactly follow your logic..Why keep them at 3.340"? long action rem is a long action rem, RUM or '06..throat the barrel to kiss your longest bullet at under 3.6 and your golden. you can get an extended mag to 3.7 without going CFE or DBM,with hardly any modifications needed..AICS allows over 3.6 also?

I can't see not going with a RUM or lapua/Norma hull if using a DBM on a heavy long range platform.you have the space so why not.

Why keep them at 3.340"? long action rem is a long action rem, RUM or '06..throat the barrel to kiss your longest bullet at under 3.6 and your golden. you can get an extended mag to 3.7 without going CFE or DBM,with hardly any modifications needed..

3.340" is Noslers selling point and it seems that every Hairy Dick Tom is enthralled with the ridiculous notion that there is something superior to the stupid "30-06 length" fantasy ...

I agree that this case is better off loaded with bullets seated out for max case capacity .. at least that way you can recreate 6.5 STW, 7mm STW, 300 WBY, 340 WBY & 375 WBY velocities

the requirements I had for my wildcat was not produced by the 26 Nosler case.....
the 300 Norma Mag case was the obvious choice ...... allowed for a longer neck, shorter cartridge length, more powder capacity to duplicate 7mm RUM velocities and easily fit in 5 rnd AICS mags and 6 rnd Accurate mags ..... best of all is the use of Lapua made 423 Dakota brass and cut down 338 Lapua brass along with the 300 & 338 Norma brass ....

I didn't say there was anything WRONG with doing so, other than taking up powder space, but having 100% the bullets bearing surface in contact with the case neck isn't something I need "science" to figure out is a good idea.

I'm talking optimum, not make do here.

For every 10% increases in case capacity, at the same pressure there is only a 2 1/2 % increase in velocity. A bullet seated below the neck shoulder junction doesn't reduce case capacity enough to matter and that is a fact.
Posted By: sdgunslinger Re: Nosler 28 - 01/26/15

Why keep them at 3.340"? long action rem is a long action rem, RUM or '06..throat the barrel to kiss your longest bullet at under 3.6 and your golden. you can get an extended mag to 3.7 without going CFE or DBM,with hardly any modifications needed..

3.340" is Noslers selling point and it seems that every Hairy Dick Tom is enthralled with the ridiculous notion that there is something superior to the stupid "30-06 length" fantasy ...

I agree that this case is better off loaded with bullets seated out for max case capacity .. at least that way you can recreate 6.5 STW, 7mm STW, 300 WBY, 340 WBY & 375 WBY velocities

the requirements I had for my wildcat was not produced by the 26 Nosler case.....
the 300 Norma Mag case was the obvious choice ...... allowed for a longer neck, shorter cartridge length, more powder capacity to duplicate 7mm RUM velocities and easily fit in 5 rnd AICS mags and 6 rnd Accurate mags ..... best of all is the use of Lapua made 423 Dakota brass and cut down 338 Lapua brass along with the 300 & 338 Norma brass ....

granted , the fat Norma cases will get you the powder capacity and overall length you want , but is it advisable to run them in M-700 action ? not IMO.........
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger

granted , the fat Norma cases will get you the powder capacity and overall length you want , but is it advisable to run them in M-700 action ? not IMO.........

Nothing wrong with running them through the 700 action as long as the maker knows what he is doing. My 338 Laupa is on the 700 action.
© 24hourcampfire