Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jwp475

You do know that one can use different bottom metal and seat the bullets out to 3.9" COAL don't you?

I did not. The only long-actions I've ever owned were a 30/06 and a 7rem/mag and those were long ago. I'm thinking DBM for this one anyway and I don't know the specs on LA Acc Int stocks.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The bottom of the bullets bearing surface should be seated at the juncture of the case-neck and shoulder, IMO. That would place the base of the bullet near the juncture of the shoulder and sidewall, most likely.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The drawing has a typo. The length to the base of the case neck is incorrect.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Glocktard

You do know that one can use different bottom metal and seat the bullets out to 3.9" COAL don't you?

I did not. The only long-actions I've ever owned were a 30/06 and a 7rem/mag and those were long ago. I'm thinking DBM for this one anyway and I don't know the specs on LA Acc Int stocks.

I used Seekin's DBM on my 338 Laupa and the inside dimension is 3.92"

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The RUM is TOO LONG to seat high BC OTM's mag length, genius.

I did not. The only long-actions I've ever owned were a 30/06 and a 7rem/mag....

Another instant classic for the T-A-K chronicles!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The bottom of the bullets bearing surface should be seated at the juncture of the case-neck and shoulder, IMO.

Should? That sounds like an ethics position. Never the less, your opinion and mine are the same when I made my .224MBOC. That was the whole idea behind it. But just because I did it once does not make it correct for my next wildcat or anyone else's wildcat or factory cartridge.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Since you're in such a "helpful" mode, produce a drawing of the 28 Nosler, since you're a cripple you should have plenty of time to do so. I have things to do and I'll check back later.

You need a picture of the 28 Nosler so you can see whether its case capacity is similar to the RUM? Wow, I did not know that.

Here I was thinking that since the 26 and 28 Noslers both use the same parent case, and the neck diameter has only 20 thousandths difference, the two cases would have capacities that were very close.

Well, you learn something every day.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
Since you're in such a "helpful" mode, produce a drawing of the 28 Nosler, since you're a cripple you should have plenty of time to do so. I have things to do and I'll check back later.

You need a picture of the 28 Nosler so you can see whether its case capacity is similar to the RUM?

No, you silly SOB. I was interested in the length of the neck.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Now now glockturd, no need to get ruffled. Look at the 26, tap your ruby slippers, and imagine that the neck is 20 thousandths of an inch larger in diameter. And consequently less than 20 thousandths longer.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Ringman
The bottom of the bullets bearing surface should be seated at the juncture of the case-neck and shoulder, IMO.

Should? That sounds like an ethics position. Never the less, your opinion and mine are the same when I made my .224MBOC. That was the whole idea behind it. But just because I did it once does not make it correct for my next wildcat or anyone else's wildcat or factory cartridge.

I don't think one can produce evidence that bullet base/case neck-shoulder seating accomplishes anything. One needs enough bullet in the neck for stability of the round and consistent resistence if the bullet isn't touching the lands.

The bottom line, how does it shoot? What's the optimal jump for that load/bullet combo...

DF

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Shhhhhh, he's on a roll.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
The bottom of the bullets bearing surface should be seated at the juncture of the case-neck and shoulder, IMO. That would place the base of the bullet near the juncture of the shoulder and sidewall, most likely.

Why?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by smokepole
Shhhhhh, he's on a roll.

laugh

Gotcha... cool

DF

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I don't think one can produce evidence that bullet base/case neck-shoulder seating accomplishes anything.

Thanks for squaring me away. By that same logic, truing an action is silly as hell as well. Thanks.

Also, by that same logic, I won't need to replace that expensive 78in door jamb level of mine either. I can just use a little torpedo level. I'm certain now it'll work just as well.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I don't think one can produce evidence that bullet base/case neck-shoulder seating accomplishes anything.

Thanks for squaring me away. By that same logic, truing an action is silly as hell as well. Thanks.

Also, by that same logic, I won't need to replace that expensive 78in door jamb level of mine either. I can just use a little torpedo level. I'm certain now it'll work just as well.

Did you ever learn how to work a camera?

David

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glocktard,

It's tough to get back to neutral, but I'm going to try.

Do you know of some tests or experiments to establish where the bottom of the bullet should be for best efficiency and accuracy?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Why?

Again. WHY?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No logic in your reply, you stil haven't stated why the bullet should not be seated below the neck shoulder junction.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm aware of extended mags and all.But there is something to be said about a more efficient cart working in a 3.6" mag that allows you many moves in regards to seating depth/land engagement . A wyatts center feed (that holds 2 down) or detachable mag are your only moves..I dont really like either on everyday hunters..YMMV

The Nosler carts are a step in the right direction IMO, along with the new 300 and 338 Norma..Finally

RUM on the left 7wby on the right. and that aint even a long bullet in the RUM.a 230 hybrid at mag length in that cart is ridiculous. A 2.5" case gives a guy some moves,the new ones coming along on with the 404J diameter are long overdue.E know its nothing new, its all been done before, but I think the timing is right for them to have some success this time.

long explanation with a picture.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by rosco1; 01/25/15.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Logic?

DF

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 35, 300_savage, 14idaho, 9 invisible), 961 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,411
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.