Home
Posted By: Tanner 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/30/16
This wasn't really a "long range" kill by long range standards, but I know there are a number of folks here interested in the cartridge so I thought I'd report.

I had a cow elk tag and was undecided if I would try to fill it or not, but after deciding to turn the steaks from the bull I killed into jerky for a friend in the military that is about to need some snacks, I figured the extra elk meat would not hurt.

Fairly low drama stalk got me to 455 on a group of 12ish elk. The first round entered right behind the shoulder, and she humped up slightly and started walking up hill, so I fired again and she dropped. Upon inspection it looks like both rounds entered nearly the same hole and both exited. Zero meat loss due to bullet(s) location, large internal damage and bleeding. I'm a fan of both the bullet and cartridge. I am using RL-17 and 140 VLDs, starting at around 2700fps.

I have heard of a few folks having concerns and/or issues with small rifle primers in the cold, and also with RL-17 in cold/changing temps. The weather was coldish and clear, around 15*-20*, so likely not frigid enough to be a real test of either component in the cold. I'll keep testing them in cooler conditions and see what pans out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tanner
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/30/16
Nice report Tanner.

Thanks!

David
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/30/16
Nice......

What stock is on your gun Tanner?
Posted By: GregW Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/30/16
Fill the freezer up bro....

Pretty cool both VLD's exited and RL-17 is good stuff...
Posted By: Brad Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/30/16
Perfect small eating-sized cow. Good job.
Posted By: joshf303 Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/30/16
Business as usual....stunt shooter....
Posted By: 30338 Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/30/16
Nice shooting Tanner. I've got the reamer but haven't found the right donor yet.
Posted By: HUNTER1309 Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/30/16
Nice work. The 6.5x47 is on my list. What are the spec's of yours?
Posted By: 805 Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/30/16
Nice shooting Tanner!! 140vld sure are a great bullet!
Posted By: Huntr Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/30/16
Right on Tanner! Can't imagine how many minds you have blown with that cartridge/bullet combo....grin.

Add me to the list of folks who would like to know more a out the rifle.

Happy New Year!
Posted By: ingwe Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/30/16
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Nice report Tanner.

Thanks!

David

+1 TanMan!
Posted By: NWBlacktail Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/30/16
Better than a 1/4 mile shot on live game. I'd call that a "long range" kill.

Very nice, and thats a sweet little cartridge. Congrats!

I have a cow tag that starts Jan 1st, and goes through March 31st. I'm using a 280 Ack.
Posted By: SKane Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/30/16
Dude. No Starsky?

Good shootin'!
Posted By: Tanner Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/30/16
Originally Posted by SKane
Dude. No Starsky?

Good shootin'!

He's still picking corn. Stubborn bastard won't buy a machine so he does it all by hand.

The rifle is a SS 700 SA with a #19 Bartlein barrel, (1-8" at 24") built by a Fire member. I just tossed it in a BC Ti Alaskan, and should probably bed it. Pretty straightforward build but I like it.

Tanner
Posted By: sbhooper Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/30/16
Do I detect another murder via Super Chicken? shocked
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/30/16
Tanner,

Sorry if I missed it - what range finder were you using? Any issues with the cold?

David
Posted By: Tanner Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/30/16
I'm using some Bushnell Arc 1400 thing. It's not my favorite but it worked ok in the cold. I will likely upgrade that soon.

Tanner
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/30/16
Tuner,
Congrats!
If Colton gets the 6.5 running in time to shoot a cow, post pics!
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/30/16
Still nice shooting. Good work.
Posted By: jdunham Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/31/16

Just built one to very similar specs. Stiller with Bartlein #19 cut to 22.5" in a Mcmillan classic. About perfect. Nice shooting on the elk.
Posted By: barm Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/31/16
Tanner,

What kind of scope do you have on your rifle?
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/31/16
Originally Posted by Tanner
This wasn't really a "long range" kill by long range standards, but I know there are a number of folks here interested in the cartridge so I thought I'd report.

I had a cow elk tag and was undecided if I would try to fill it or not, but after deciding to turn the steaks from the bull I killed into jerky for a friend in the military that is about to need some snacks, I figured the extra elk meat would not hurt.

Fairly low drama stalk got me to 455 on a group of 12ish elk. The first round entered right behind the shoulder, and she humped up slightly and started walking up hill, so I fired again and she dropped. Upon inspection it looks like both rounds entered nearly the same hole and both exited. Zero meat loss due to bullet(s) location, large internal damage and bleeding. I'm a fan of both the bullet and cartridge. I am using RL-17 and 140 VLDs, starting at around 2700fps.

I have heard of a few folks having concerns and/or issues with small rifle primers in the cold, and also with RL-17 in cold/changing temps. The weather was coldish and clear, around 15*-20*, so likely not frigid enough to be a real test of either component in the cold. I'll keep testing them in cooler conditions and see what pans out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tanner

Good job on filling the freezer and once again proving that elk are not bullet proof.... I am glad to see when people use a reasonable gun for the duty at hand. That young cow will surely be a fine eating one. My wife has a tag that ends today, but the elk are all down on Private land and not accessible. Been there for a month , oh well we are working on a better plan next year. I beleive some would be surprised at what VLD's can do as compared to a "Real Hunting Bullet"!!!!!!!
Posted By: starsky Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/31/16
Dude. No Starsky?

Good shootin'!

I don't believe in hunting on golf courses.
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/31/16
Originally Posted by starsky
Dude. No Starsky?

Good shootin'!

GOLF COURSES SEEM TO HOLD THE MOST ELK THIS TIME OF THE YEAR IN THESE PARTS!!!!!
Posted By: gonzaga Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/31/16
Elk do not pay greens fees and deserve to be carted off the course.....preferably via truck....
Nice job on the elk Tanner....glad that rifle was able to seal the deal for you. Undoubtedly your skill may have played a part in the hunts success...
Posted By: Huntr Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/31/16
Originally Posted by starsky
Dude. No Starsky?

Good shootin'!

Lol, unless the beer cart shows up! 🤔
Posted By: bobnob17 Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/31/16
"Coldish", Tanner?!

I've never even SEEN snow like that!

Nice job.
Posted By: Okbow87 Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/31/16
So you are telling me you shot an elk with a berger vld, and not only did you get an exit but also a blood trail.... That can't be. Im going to have to call BS! Haha.
Posted By: 805 Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 12/31/16
Yep those target bullets usually just bounce off!😃 Great shooting buddy!
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 01/03/17
T. Congratulations on your elk hunt.
I hope she makes good table fare.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 01/04/17
Congrats. What's the rifle only weigh? Is the 19 heavier than a 2B? Website did not show #, but thicker muzzle OD. .66 vs .63

I built two 260's on Bordens and McM in the past using the Rem Mag at around 23.5 and 24.5.

Re cold temps, seems the Finns get cold weather in their country.....much research was surely done.
Posted By: Trystan Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 01/05/17
Congratulations,

You put a cup and core bullet in the vitals of an elk at 450 yds and it died.

Contrary to whatever you might be thinking kiddo us old timers have been doing that since the late 50s. The generation before me it happened a lot also.

It cracks me up when all the hype of the 6.5 this and that gets folks into thinking there onto something special.

At some point in your life its a possibility you will recognize it was you as the hunter that accomplished this and the cartridge made zero fuqin difference whatsoever. 😉

Trystan
Posted By: joshf303 Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 01/05/17
Originally Posted by Trystan
Congratulations,

Contrary to whatever you might be thinking kiddo us old timers have been doing that since the late 50s. The generation before me it happened a lot also.

It cracks me up when all the hype of the 6.5 this and that gets folks into thinking there onto something special.

Right now you'll likely piss and moan like a spoiled brat but in 20 years you'll look back and thank me for my advice.

My advice to you is recognize it was you as the hunter that accomplished this and the cartridge made zero fuqin difference whatsoever. 😉

Trystan

At least he took the right shells.....

Snap... Click....WTF?!
Posted By: Kaleb Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 01/05/17
dang 22-250's
Congratulations,

At some point in your life its a possibility you will recognize it was you as the hunter that accomplished this and the cartridge made zero fuqin difference whatsoever. 😉

Trystan

I am pretty sure he wasn't surprised by the outcome. Nor surprised by your super insightful post. wink

Well done Tanner!! Nice shooting.
Posted By: Bella1 Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 01/05/17
Great job Tanner
Posted By: Tanner Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 01/05/17
Congratulations,

Trystan

The only thing you've been doing since the late 50's is holding your dick in your hand and not killing critters.

Tanner
Posted By: aalf Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 01/05/17

Nice going.....and not a Crapmore either....

grin

Posted By: 16bore Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 01/05/17
Congratulations,

Trystan

The only thing you've been doing since the late 50's is holding your dick in your hand and not killing critters.

Tanner

Come on now, this guys a trip.....

How long before said rifle is in the classifieds? Yeah, I'm jealous. Phuqq you and the elk you rode in on.

Posted By: TexasTBag Re: 6.5x47 Cow Elk Report - 01/06/17
Congratulations,

Trystan

Tanner

Trystan knows his stuff Tanner, I mean it has been 3 whole months since he started looking into building (maybe) a rifle capable of taking an Antelope at 600 yards... He also taught me Kimber Montana's aren't capable of long range...
© 24hourcampfire