Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tanner,

What kind of scope do you have on your rifle?

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Tanner
This wasn't really a "long range" kill by long range standards, but I know there are a number of folks here interested in the cartridge so I thought I'd report.

I had a cow elk tag and was undecided if I would try to fill it or not, but after deciding to turn the steaks from the bull I killed into jerky for a friend in the military that is about to need some snacks, I figured the extra elk meat would not hurt.

Fairly low drama stalk got me to 455 on a group of 12ish elk. The first round entered right behind the shoulder, and she humped up slightly and started walking up hill, so I fired again and she dropped. Upon inspection it looks like both rounds entered nearly the same hole and both exited. Zero meat loss due to bullet(s) location, large internal damage and bleeding. I'm a fan of both the bullet and cartridge. I am using RL-17 and 140 VLDs, starting at around 2700fps.

I have heard of a few folks having concerns and/or issues with small rifle primers in the cold, and also with RL-17 in cold/changing temps. The weather was coldish and clear, around 15*-20*, so likely not frigid enough to be a real test of either component in the cold. I'll keep testing them in cooler conditions and see what pans out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tanner

Good job on filling the freezer and once again proving that elk are not bullet proof.... I am glad to see when people use a reasonable gun for the duty at hand. That young cow will surely be a fine eating one. My wife has a tag that ends today, but the elk are all down on Private land and not accessible. Been there for a month , oh well we are working on a better plan next year. I beleive some would be surprised at what VLD's can do as compared to a "Real Hunting Bullet"!!!!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane
Dude. No Starsky?

Good shootin'!

I don't believe in hunting on golf courses.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by starsky
Dude. No Starsky?

Good shootin'!

GOLF COURSES SEEM TO HOLD THE MOST ELK THIS TIME OF THE YEAR IN THESE PARTS!!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Elk do not pay greens fees and deserve to be carted off the course.....preferably via truck....
Nice job on the elk Tanner....glad that rifle was able to seal the deal for you. Undoubtedly your skill may have played a part in the hunts success...

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by starsky
Dude. No Starsky?

Good shootin'!

Lol, unless the beer cart shows up! 🤔

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Coldish", Tanner?!

I've never even SEEN snow like that!

Nice job.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
So you are telling me you shot an elk with a berger vld, and not only did you get an exit but also a blood trail.... That can't be. Im going to have to call BS! Haha.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep those target bullets usually just bounce off!😃 Great shooting buddy!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T. Congratulations on your elk hunt.
I hope she makes good table fare.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats. What's the rifle only weigh? Is the 19 heavier than a 2B? Website did not show #, but thicker muzzle OD. .66 vs .63

I built two 260's on Bordens and McM in the past using the Rem Mag at around 23.5 and 24.5.

Re cold temps, seems the Finns get cold weather in their country.....much research was surely done.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Congratulations,

You put a cup and core bullet in the vitals of an elk at 450 yds and it died.

Contrary to whatever you might be thinking kiddo us old timers have been doing that since the late 50s. The generation before me it happened a lot also.

It cracks me up when all the hype of the 6.5 this and that gets folks into thinking there onto something special.

At some point in your life its a possibility you will recognize it was you as the hunter that accomplished this and the cartridge made zero fuqin difference whatsoever. 😉

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 01/05/17.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Trystan
Congratulations,

Contrary to whatever you might be thinking kiddo us old timers have been doing that since the late 50s. The generation before me it happened a lot also.

It cracks me up when all the hype of the 6.5 this and that gets folks into thinking there onto something special.

Right now you'll likely piss and moan like a spoiled brat but in 20 years you'll look back and thank me for my advice.

My advice to you is recognize it was you as the hunter that accomplished this and the cartridge made zero fuqin difference whatsoever. 😉

Trystan

At least he took the right shells.....

Snap... Click....WTF?!

Last edited by joshf303; 01/05/17.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
dang 22-250's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations,

At some point in your life its a possibility you will recognize it was you as the hunter that accomplished this and the cartridge made zero fuqin difference whatsoever. 😉

Trystan

I am pretty sure he wasn't surprised by the outcome. Nor surprised by your super insightful post. wink

Well done Tanner!! Nice shooting.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great job Tanner

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations,

Trystan

The only thing you've been doing since the late 50's is holding your dick in your hand and not killing critters.

Tanner

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nice going.....and not a Crapmore either....

grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations,

Trystan

The only thing you've been doing since the late 50's is holding your dick in your hand and not killing critters.

Tanner

Come on now, this guys a trip.....

How long before said rifle is in the classifieds? Yeah, I'm jealous. Phuqq you and the elk you rode in on.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Congratulations,

Trystan

Tanner

Trystan knows his stuff Tanner, I mean it has been 3 whole months since he started looking into building (maybe) a rifle capable of taking an Antelope at 600 yards... He also taught me Kimber Montana's aren't capable of long range...

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 13 invisible), 1,196 guests, and 697 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.