Home
Posted By: Golficeman Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/27/20
Looking for opinions on a hunting rifle build chambered for .264(6.5). Eastern, mountain/field carry. Ease of reloading, under $1500, 23"-25" bbl, long or short action, able to push 140's over 3000 fps.

I'll mostly be using 125 Nosler Part.
130 gr Accubonds or Scirocco II's
140's of different makes.

I have availability of
Sauer 100
Remington 700 early 90's LA
Tikka T3X actions
Posted By: iddave Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/27/20
T3x in a 6.5 PRC is the most simple path forward.

Better start gathering reloading components right now though. That’s a far bigger hurdle than the rifle build.

Dave
If I go that route , what cartridge should I buy as a donor? I know, I'm hoping it's going to be better finding things by Spring. I have a few sources if they don't dry up.
For the buck, the Eurooptic Mauser 18 in 6.5 PRC for $429 is a screamer of a deal. Those guns shoot.

Google it.

DF
For your specs, I would have to say the 26 Nosler fits your bill about the best. Try to find a Remington 700 RUM action so you have the right bolt face and magazine with follower. Mine has a Rock 5R barrel on it I got on the classifieds on this site finished at 25" and shoots great with the 140 Accubonds. Nosler books says they are pushing around 3200 fps, but haven't had a chance to chrono them yet.

Bob
You either need a longer barreled 6.5-284, 6.5 prc, or a magnum of some sort based on your requirements.
Posted By: Adamjp Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/27/20
6.5-06, 6.5-284, 6.5 RPM will do what you want on a long action with a standard boltface.

6.5 Rem Mag, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 SAUM are still short action, but magnum boltface.

264 Win Mag, 26 Nosler will do much more on a long action with magnum boltface.

The suggestion to just buy a m18 in 6.5 PRC is a very good one.

Failing that, the T3X actions are ideal for the PRC/SAUM and 6.5-284 with the right factory magazine.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/27/20
Originally Posted by Golficeman
Looking for opinions on a hunting rifle build chambered for .264(6.5). Eastern, mountain/field carry. Ease of reloading, under $1500, 23"-25" bbl, long or short action, able to push 140's over 3000 fps.

I have availability of
Sauer 100
Tikka T3X actions

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14310776/1

dave
Posted By: aalf Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/27/20

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13382750/coming-clean#Post13382750
Originally Posted by Sheister
For your specs, I would have to say the 26 Nosler fits your bill about the best. Try to find a Remington 700 RUM action so you have the right bolt face and magazine with follower. Mine has a Rock 5R barrel on it I got on the classifieds on this site finished at 25" and shoots great with the 140 Accubonds. Nosler books says they are pushing around 3200 fps, but haven't had a chance to chrono them yet.

Bob

I built mine on a shot out 7 RM Rem 700. Had to widen the space between rails for the fat case to pass. Used a RUM box. Shilen SS 26” barrel.

DF
Posted By: pete53 Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/27/20
i have enough custom hunting rifles at my age, but if i was building another custom hunting rifle 26 Nosler would be my choice. my choice of action would be a Ruger #1 , laminated stock,Brux #4 barrel 28 inch length,Picantinny mnts.,Nightforce scope,i would also change the trigger out too. if you have plenty money have NULA rifles build you one in a bolt action ?
Your 3000 fps requirement takes some fine hunting cartridges out of the running, as you no doubt have considered. You're going to require a fat cartridge or a long action. The Golden Child of American hunting cartridges (.260 Rem) and his over-gilded twin (6.5 C) both fall short of 3000, but are excellent with 140s.
Posted By: DBoston Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/27/20
I am liking the 6.5x55 mine in a Forbes 24. With MRP and R26 I can run the 129-130 grain bullets to around 2,950 fps easily with R26 and doable with a max load of MRP loaded to SCANDI pressures.

To get your velocity goal with the 140s you need to start at the 6.5 Weatherby RPM and then go up from there. The 6.5 WSM (PRC) and 264 Win. Mag are the first cartridges to reach that velocity with out really pushing them. I have not hunted in the East much but a few places in Maine and New Hampshire could require a longer shot, but most areas a 300 Savage or even a 30-30 would be plenty of rifle. I would gladly hunt with the Swede but something faster would be fun to play with.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/27/20
if your just buying a good rifle buy a new 7 mm Rem. mag. in a Remington rifle, the 7 mag. rifle will do everything most bigger 6.5`s for accuracy maybe more and ammo is easy to find for a 7 Mag. always. when the barrel is burned out build a 6.5 then ?
I’m intrigued by the 6.5 RPM, but it doesn’t seem to be gaining all that much traction. It would work well in your LA 700.
.264 Win mag
Just curious, but where in the east would you hunt where you will be in mountainous terrain and need to reach out over a quarter mile?

Power line ROWs and clear cuts?
Posted By: 65BR Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/27/20
Just curious if anyone has done a trajectory comparison with the PRC vs say a 7RM with 150 BT?

Wondering as I have not run #'s........
Maybe it was written or read wrong. In the mountains and farm fields, soy bean, cornfields...25-700+
I would only feel comfy out to about 500yds.
Yes, but SPECIFICALLY WHERE in the eastern U.S. would you be likely to encounter mountainous open country like that?

A beanfield rifle fired from a prepositioned stand of some sort typically calls for a whole different rifle than most people would use for hunting in mountainous terrain. I can't think of many places were game animals and open mountainous terrain overlap east of the Mississippi.
Nothing a Swede can’t do in the East!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: pete53 Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/28/20
Originally Posted by 65BR
Just curious if anyone has done a trajectory comparison with the PRC vs say a 7RM with 150 BT?

Wondering as I have not run #'s........

i looked in the new #9 Nosler reloading book 7Rem. Mag. is around 200 fps faster than the 6.5 PRC ,but 6.5 150 gr. bullet .634 B.C. and the best 7mm bullet 150 gr. .546 B.C. not a huge difference either way except 7 Rem. Mag. ammo is much easy to buy and the components are too. myself i would buy the 7 Rem. Mag. which i do own a few. out west shots can or could be farther out but to be honest hunters don`t shoot that far out either over 300 -400 yards.
Originally Posted by vacrt2002

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Now, that's what I call a paint job.

What's the story?

DF
Virginia...The Shenandoah Valley is full of mountains to cornfields. I can sit in a stand and watch 100- 200 yds behind me and overlook an 80 acre cornfield planted right up to the wood line.
My 26 Nos shoots the 156 EOL at around 3K over Vv 570 into some pretty small groups at a hundred. I've not killed anything yet with it, but my turret is set up for that trajectory. Should be good to go.

DF
I'm shooting the 150 sierra out of my 264 win mag at 3080 fps. Only 18 moa of drop at 1000 yds. I shoot at 7000' though.
Posted By: msalm Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/28/20
My favorite lighter weight 6.5 hunting rifles I’ve built were 24” fluted #3 chambered in the 6.5 RSAUM. 6.25-6.5lbs bare and 3050ish with 140’s and close to 3200 with 130’s. Makes for a nice all around rifle. This year I hunted with an almost identical rifle only in 7 RSAUM and it did just as well.
Virginia...The Shenandoah Valley is full of mountains to cornfields. I can sit in a stand and watch 100- 200 yds behind me and overlook an 80 acre cornfield planted right up to the wood line.

It has been a long time since I drove on I-81, but I seem to remember tree covered hills more than mountain mountains.

I have availability of
Sauer 100
Tikka T3X actions

I think with your 140 @ 3000 requirement, I’d probably be looking at a 6.5/06 AI or .264 Win Mag.

John
Posted By: GregW Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/28/20

I have availability of
Sauer 100
Tikka T3X actions

Your requirements scream 6.5 Creed very loudly if you drop your velocity need just a skootch but with a 23"+ tube you won't be far off....
Once you get up near Harrisonburg, you have the Blue Ridge, Shenandoah, and Massanutten mountains all together. It's not 7000ft, but there are some climbs that would take you a couple of hours to get to your stand.
Once you get up near Harrisonburg, you have the Blue Ridge, Shenandoah, and Massanutten mountains all together. It's not 7000ft, but there are some climbs that would take you a couple of hours to get to your stand.

A couple of hours to hike to your stand so that you could shoot a whitetail in vA? If you're over-watching 80 acre corn fields, couldn't you drive a 4x4 vehicle on whatever road, lane, or trail the farmer who planted and harvested those corn fields used to get there and back?

Sounds like a job for a NULA or something like it. If I was hunting that terrain, I'd probably carry my over-watch elk rifle, a CLR in 270. Good luck to you.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/28/20
Drop your speed requirements and go 260 or 6.5 creed. Otherwise the guys have already answered your question. I hunt areas that are mostly like what you would be hunting in your area. The 243 with a 95nbt or a 105 berger vld have worked with ease. The 260 also has been a laser on deer with 140 berger and 120bnt. From point blank to right at 500 I have had no issues with either

Curious though. What makes you say you need a 140 at 3k?
Yeah, well you haven't hunted it. We are talking the mountains not fields. The fields are easy, but the old bucks with bigger antlers don't just walk right out in the middle of these cornfields. You have to hike back between the mountains to find them.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/28/20
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

A couple of hours to hike to your stand so that you could shoot a whitetail in vA? If you're over-watching 80 acre corn fields, couldn't you drive a 4x4 vehicle on whatever road, lane, or trail the farmer who planted and harvested those corn fields used to get there and back?

Sounds like a job for a NULA or something like it. If I was hunting that terrain, I'd probably carry my over-watch elk rifle, a CLR in 270. Good luck to you.

Wow! He’s asking about a rifle and you just keep going on and on about how and where he hunts. He’s not trying to prove anything about how the land lays and never asked you if he could just drive his 4x4 in. I totally agree with the fellas about taking one more look at you velocity requirements. That’s not what you asked so in that case a 6.5prc or win mag.
I’m surprised we made it 2 pages without it being said - you could always hit the “super easy” button ... and just give in to the 270. 😳
I have a 260, Creed, and 6.5 Swede. I want something to shoot 143's a bit faster. I have a 257Wby, 270, 30-06, and 7 mag that would do the jobs also, but so does everyone else. I've had 280AI's, but love the 6.5's I have options that will do the job, but I'm working on a project and I figured why not get the 6.5 going a bit faster and use it as my all-around, do everything in a light rifle. Looneying I guess.
I could be hunting an area that only allows a 100 yd shot. That has nothing to do with what I'm trying to achieve in a rifle build. That WAS the main topic. I've killed a good handful of deer at less than 50yds with a 35 Whelen, but one stepped out at 250 on my way out to the truck. I never intended on shooting that gun ,that far but it worked flawlessly. What's it matter on the terrain? I'm building a rifle that I want , I wouldn't ask what golf course you play to select what driver or wedge to take. LOL
Thanks Kaleb, at least you get the post.
I could be hunting an area that only allows a 100 yd shot. That has nothing to do with what I'm trying to achieve in a rifle build. That WAS the main topic. I've killed a good handful of deer at less than 50yds with a 35 Whelen, but one stepped out at 250 on my way out to the truck. I never intended on shooting that gun ,that far but it worked flawlessly. What's it matter on the terrain? I'm building a rifle that I want , I wouldn't ask what golf course you play to select what driver or wedge to take. LOL
Posted By: aalf Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/28/20

The 6.5 PRC is the easy button for 140's at 3000+......finding components is another issue.......
I’m going a little higher-velocity. I just ordered a 6.5-300 Wby Accuguard with a 1:8” twist 26” bbl. I can’t get ANY ammo right now, but hopefully that will ease up eventually, or I will have some custom loaded, as I don’t reload. Once I get some ammo, I will chrono it first and see what the rifle shoots best, but I am intrigued by these numbers based on the Wby MV specs:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
My 26 Nos will do similar, maybe the edge to the Wby. I like SSII's, currently loaded 156 EOL with Vv 570.

For a lighter gun, lighter round, a 6.5 Creed with 130 NAB is a deer killing combo. And, it'll reach out pretty well...

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
My 26 Nos will do similar, maybe the edge to the Wby. I like SSII's, currently loaded 156 EOL with Vv 570.

Yeah, I was about to get a 26 Nosler. DoubleTap makes some loads for that that they claim exceed the 6.5-300 Wby velocities for the same bullets. For example, they claim to produce 3,600 fps with the SSII 130gr.

The reason I bought the Wby was because I found an Accuguard chambered for it that was a lot cheaper than any comparable rifle I could find chambered for the 26 Nosler IMO.

What is your barrel twist, and what weight-range of bullets does your rifle seem to prefer?
Posted By: LJB Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/28/20
I have a 260, Creed, and 6.5 Swede. I want something to shoot 143's a bit faster. I have a 257Wby, 270, 30-06, and 7 mag that would do the jobs also, but so does everyone else. I've had 280AI's, but love the 6.5's I have options that will do the job, but I'm working on a project and I figured why not get the 6.5 going a bit faster and use it as my all-around, do everything in a light rifle. Looneying I guess.

Makes sense to me. I went down this rabbit hole myself (I'm still in it actually) looking for a little more downrange 6.5mm punch than can be had via a Creedmoor or a Swede.

First up was a 6.5 SAUM in a BigHorn SR3 short action with a fixed box magazine and braked varmint weight Bartlein 1/8 barrel. Great shooter capable of 3000 fps with 140 bullets although I usually run it a little slower. It was a real chore to get it to feed/eject properly, so if you decide to go the 6.5 PRC/SAUM route a detachable box magazine platform will likely make things easier. I built this rifle just before the 6.5 PRC introduction. Had the 6.5 PRC been available, I would have done a PRC.

Recently I've been experimenting with the 6.5-280 AI in a Model 70 (sporter with no muzzle brake) and a BAT HR (varmint style with a muzzle brake). Haven't shot these two much yet, but early indications are very promising, especially in the Model 70 which has a shorter throat. Proper feed/eject in the long action with the longer cartridge is much easier. In fact, it was no work at all (in my experience). Making the cases is super easy from Nosler 280 AI brass, but with the following very important caveat; that is be sure to use a STANDARD style full length sizing die (custom from Redding), not a repurposed 280 AI bushing die, to form the brass from virgin Nosler 280 AI brass because the bushing die will NOT resize the neck all the way down to the neck/shoulder junction. If the neck isn't sized all the way to the shoulder junction it probably won't chamber (I know the WTO website says otherwise). However, once the brass has been resized and shot, the 280 AI bushing style die can be used.

I like them both so I can't say which will be my favorite right now. Both can reach the 3000 fps with 140 grain bullet performance plateau, which is what you're after.

I have no experience, nor any interest in the 264 WM and 26 Nosler.
I just ordered everything for the 6.5 PRC. I guess I'll come as close to perfect as I can with a 24" tube.
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Wow! He’s asking about a rifle and you just keep going on and on about how and where he hunts. He’s not trying to prove anything about how the land lays and never asked you if he could just drive his 4x4 in. I totally agree with the fellas about taking one more look at you velocity requirements. That’s not what you asked so in that case a 6.5prc or win mag.

Perhaps because I am still confused. Hunting in tree covered mountains seems like a very different scenario than over-watching farm fields where optimized gear would be correspondingly different. A NULA for the mountains or a Jarrett for the valleys.

Or, perhaps because I'm bored and feeling a bit contrarian?
Or you are "Big Stick" in disguise? It's really not hard to understand. When I go to camp, I take 2 rifles for 2 different needs. Usually a 270 or 280 and a 338-06, 338 Federal or 35 Whelen. I use those mostly for brush and in the laurel thickets from 200 in. We don't drive in to a lot of the places we go so we don't bust deer out of the fields. We walk about 1.5 to 2 miles into the mountain. The deer will leave the fields before shooting light and move into the mountain. We catch them in between food and bedding areas. Occasionally we have someone watch the fields from a stand that also gives you the ability to shoot 200 yds up lanes into the mountain and also shoot forever in the field. A 270, 280, 257 WBy would do all I'm looking for. That wasn't even the reasoning for the base topic. I wanted a 6.5 without being a magnum to push 140's. Period.
Or you are "Big Stick" in disguise? It's really not hard to understand. When I go to camp, I take 2 rifles for 2 different needs. Usually a 270 or 280 and a 338-06, 338 Federal or 35 Whelen. I use those mostly for brush and in the laurel thickets from 200 in. We don't drive in to a lot of the places we go so we don't bust deer out of the fields. We walk about 1.5 to 2 miles into the mountain. The deer will leave the fields before shooting light and move into the mountain. We catch them in between food and bedding areas. Occasionally we have someone watch the fields from a stand that also gives you the ability to shoot 200 yds up lanes into the mountain and also shoot forever in the field. A 270, 280, 257 WBy would do all I'm looking for. That wasn't even the reasoning for the base topic. I wanted a 6.5 without being a magnum to push 140's. Period.

I'm write in American English, not authentic Craig, AK, frontier gibberish ala Gabby Johnson and I never insulted you, so the answer to your first question seems as obvious as a rat turd in a bowl of sugar.

You have provided more information, the sort of information that my previous posts were seeking to extract. I don't see the added practical value of the cartridges that you are seeking information about doing anything that your 257 ROY doesn't already provide in spades, but I'm probably the last one to question redundancy of rifles and cartridges. Heck, my favorite long action 6.5mm bore cartridge is the 256 Newton.

Good luck with your build and good luck with your mountain, valley, farm field deer harvests in the Old Dominion State.
Thanks!
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/28/20
I’m glad you finally provided enough information to get the approval for a new rifle. It would just be crazy for you to just want a new rifle because you just want a new rifle. No one does that around here....grin. I hope you enjoy your new gun.
Thanks Kaleb! I'm sure it will be about right. I mean a few rifles would be boring even if they overlap.🙄
Thanks Kaleb! I'm sure it will be about right. I mean a few rifles would be boring even if they overlap.🙄

A guy with 25 260s, 15 6.5 CMs, and 10 6.5x55s isn't likely to argue against redundancy, go forth and churn.
If I had to narrow down my herd down to one rifle for hunting it would be my 6.5x55. Fun to rock steel with the 264 win mag though, but not as handy to carry. Luckily I haven't had to choose.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/28/20
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I’m surprised we made it 2 pages without it being said - you could always hit the “super easy” button ... and just give in to the 270. 😳

best answer and simple ^^
It never can just be simple...There are always a turd in the PT....hint...lol
Posted By: GregW Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/29/20

A guy with 25 260s, 15 6.5 CMs, and 10 6.5x55s isn't likely to argue against redundancy, go forth and churn.

It's sure funny how you always look for an excuse to let us know here on 24 HC how many rifles you own. It's hilarious...
I Had a Tikka T3 in .300 Win. Had Shaen Meagan re barrel to 6.5PRC. Feeds perfectly ,shoots well.

Theirs not much you can't do with a good 140 at 29-3000.

Lefty
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/29/20
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
I Had a Tikka T3 in .300 Win. Had Shaen Meagan re barrel to 6.5PRC. Feeds perfectly ,shoots well.

Theirs not much you can't do with a good 140 at 29-3000.

Lefty

Happy birthday. I bet that is a real nice rifle. I was kinda against a Tikka for a long time, until I tried one. Have a few now and have recommended them to several friends and family members. Everyone is happy with them.
Originally Posted by GregW

It's sure funny how you always look for an excuse to let us know here on 24 HC how many rifles you own. It's hilarious...

Actually when I first saw the thread I thought "Why not just buy the T3 in 6.5 Creed and be done with it for $875?"
I was kinda against a Tikka for a long time, until I tried one. Have a few now and have recommended them to several friends and family members. Everyone is happy with them.

I have several friends too that went out and got Tikkas after I got mine. Everyone is happy. Great guns. Side bolt release, adjustable trigger, sako extractor, changeable bolt handles...all action features you'd pay a smith $300 to do to a Remington. Its funny, I lost interest in this site, followed other forums and facebook. Come back here out of boredom and find people are still pissing on Tikkas, praising Remingtons, Kimbers and Leupolds. crazy
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Originally Posted by GregW

Actually when I first saw the thread I thought "Why not just buy the T3 in 6.5 Creed and be done with it for $875?"

Since the OP sounds sufficiently loony, he could also have a t3x in 6.5 C rechambered to 6.5 RPM and get his 140s up to the MV he desires. Poster elkivory (iirc) did this and seemed happy with the results.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I was kinda against a Tikka for a long time, until I tried one. Have a few now and have recommended them to several friends and family members. Everyone is happy with them.

I have several friends too that went out and got Tikkas after I got mine. Everyone is happy. Great guns. Side bolt release, adjustable trigger, sako extractor, changeable bolt handles...all action features you'd pay a smith $300 to do to a Remington. Its funny, I lost interest in this site, followed other forums and facebook. Come back here out of boredom and find people are still pissing on Tikkas, praising Remingtons, Kimbers and Leupolds. crazy

It's mostly the same if you come back after 20 years ... smile
Posted By: Mjduct Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/30/20
Sorry this turned into a [bleep]... we all want what we want. It doesn’t have to make sense to anyone else.

Unfortunately the 6.5 RPM is probably the best answer but also the least available. Probably a victim of the pandemic as it is a very compelling cartridge/idea.

If you believe the RPM will survive. It’s a great option. If you don’t believe in it. The 264 Win Mag is also great. I built one that shoots better than I do right before the 26 Nosler came out.
Have several hundred loaded rounds of 130gr accubonds that shoots .5MOA

If I were starting over again I’d probably go bigger/badder but with what I ended up with, I wish for nothing that any of these other cartridges can do.
I have a setup for a 264 WM down the road and tons of brass for it. What velocity is your 130gr round going at that accuracy? I appreciate you saw the way this post went and the value of everyone here wanting what they want, but are open to ideas and not to wonder off to things that aren't what the original post was even about. I read posts that interest me and by the end they are talking about everything but what the topic even originated from.
What velocity is your 130gr round going at that accuracy?

And what is the twist rate?
What about the 6.5 Weatherby RPM?

140gr MV allegedly from 2,975 fps to 3,075 fps: https://weatherby.com/store/65-wby-rpm/

And ammo is available: https://ammoseek.com/ammo/6.5-weatherby-rpm
24" MkV runs under $1,300 already built: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/883748993
That RPM comparison data is BS to make their cartridge look better. They claim a 6.5-284 is only doing 2750 with a 140 and that a 264 with a 140 is only doing 2929 fps. LOL

A 6.5-284 with 140's is a realistic 2900+, and I am at 3200 out of my 264 without redlining it.
That RPM comparison data is BS to make their cartridge look better. They claim a 6.5-284 is only doing 2750 with a 140 and that a 264 with a 140 is only doing 2929 fps. LOL

A 6.5-284 with 140's is a realistic 2900+, and I am at 3200 out of my 264 without redlining it.

My 26" Krieger 6.5-284 will push 140 VLD's at 3K with RL-17 and with very accurate groups. Good WT load.

DF
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/30/20
I used to shoot 2 different 6.5-284’s. One heavier type with 26” barrel and one sporter with 23” barrel. Both shot the same load of 53gr H4831sc under a 140 vld. The longer barrel shot 3,000fps while the 23” barrel was around 2,750. I never tried other powders or loads for the shorter barrel because it was so accurate and I sure couldn’t complain with the results.
Nice! I'm building a 6.5-284 with 7.5 twist 30" barrel... should hum along
I tried to like the 6.5 CM and just found it to be blah. Sent the creeds down the road and got a 6.5 PRC and am pretty happy with it. 140’s at 3060 is easy and accuracy is superb. IMO the 6.5 PRC is what the Creedmoor should have been.
What bbl length on the PRC?
The creed is fine if people would stop trying to push 140's. That cartridge shines with 120-130 class bullets. Its a dog with 140's.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/30/20
The creed is fine if people would stop trying to push 140's. That cartridge shines with 120-130 class bullets. Its a dog with 140's.

Man, I get 2775 with 26 and 147’s then 2750’s with 17 and 139 Scenars in the AR...

It doesn’t shoot too awfully bad either.
Posted By: szihn Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/30/20
My only 6.5MM is a 1903 Mannlicjher in 6.5X54.

But if I were to BUILD a 6.5CM for hunting I'd make an AR10 with a 22" barrel.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/30/20

I sure don’t know what would make it a dog with 140’s? I’ve been shooting 147’s out of my 260 at around 2,600fps. No speed demon but I have a turret for longer range and most of our shots around here are 200 or less. Sure does a number on deer and coyotes. Then again I’m one of those who also like a 223 for deer so take that for what it’s worth.
Posted By: keith Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/30/20
Just for the ease of cases, the 6.5/06 is a mighty beast with the 140g Berger Hunting-147g ELD, R#17 and #26. I have a custom 26" 6.5x55 and shoot the 127-129g at 3150 with R#26, Lapua brass of course.

When you get real serious, do the numbers with a std. 280 with a 180 eld match at 2800...hope you are sitting down... Large Hogs flop at 400. We have also had great luck with 180g Berger vld hunting, 175g ELD-X, and 175g Nosler LRAB....killing. The big 7mm bullets stomp everything 6.5 coming and going, changing gears can be tough in hard times.

Use Lapua '06 brass for both cases, lots of BS goes down stream, even with a shorter neck on the 280..
Posted By: beretzs Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/30/20
Originally Posted by keith
Just for the ease of cases, the 6.5/06 is a mighty beast with the 140g Berger Hunting-147g ELD, R#17 and #26. I have a custom 26" 6.5x55 and shoot the 127-129g at 3150 with R#26, Lapua brass of course.

When you get real serious, do the numbers with a std. 280 with a 180 eld match at 2800...hope you are sitting down... Large Hogs flop at 400. We have also had great luck with 180g Berger vld hunting, 175g ELD-X, and 175g Nosler LRAB....killing. The big 7mm bullets stomp everything 6.5 coming and going, changing gears can be tough in hard times.

Use Lapua '06 brass for both cases, lots of BS goes down stream, even with a shorter neck on the 280..

The 280 is mighty good. Twisted right they’re animals. Even with the better 160+ bullets they aren’t chopped liver either. Plus, like you mentioned, good brass don’t hurt it.

I sure don’t know what would make it a dog with 140’s? I’ve been shooting 147’s out of my 260 at around 2,600fps. No speed demon but I have a turret for longer range and most of our shots around here are 200 or less. Sure does a number on deer and coyotes. Then again I’m one of those who also like a 223 for deer so take that for what it’s worth.

Because despite your high BC, with that anemic velocity you won't break even with a 123 scenar at 2900fps until 1800 yards. I don't consider 1800 realistic for that cartridge...
Posted By: keith Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/31/20
In one std 280 with 24" barrel, I shoot the 162 sst at 2930, a load right out of the nosler manual #4, with IMR 7828, and this is with Rem and Win brass, Fed 210's...only a smidgen of powder.

I still love my 6.5x55 and 6.5/06 customs on 700's, both on long actions of course. When these two are shot out, they will get NON 5R 8.5 Twist 7mm barrels.

There is nothing special or super sexy about a 280, but it will sure please and shock. I have to thank another member here on this board for bringing the 280 to my attention.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/31/20

Because despite your high BC, with that anemic velocity you won't break even with a 123 scenar at 2900fps until 1800 yards. I don't consider 1800 realistic for that cartridge...

What difference does it make is my point? I know I can shoot other bullets faster. The bullet I’m shooting is very accurate and hammers deer. I have plenty of other rifles that are set up different....if I need to defend my self..lol but this one does just fine.
In one std 280 with 24" barrel, I shoot the 162 sst at 2930, a load right out of the nosler manual #4, with IMR 7828, and this is with Rem and Win brass, Fed 210's...only a smidgen of powder.

I still love my 6.5x55 and 6.5/06 customs on 700's, both on long actions of course. When these two are shot out, they will get NON 5R 8.5 Twist 7mm barrels.

There is nothing special or super sexy about a 280, but it will sure please and shock. I have to thank another member here on this board for bringing the 280 to my attention.

I don’t know why I don’t use it more than I do but I really like my 280AI. I’ve used several different bullets but the last few years it’s been berger 168’s over H4831sc. It’s done real well for me and anyone that has used it. I’ve not used that bullet on anything other than whitetail deer.
Posted By: GregW Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/31/20

I don’t know why I don’t use it more than I do but I really like my 280AI. I’ve used several different bullets but the last few years it’s been berger 168’s over H4831sc. It’s done real well for me and anyone that has used it. I’ve not used that bullet on anything other than whitetail deer.

Amen. My powder and bullet. It's my big gun for big stuff that I supposedly need a .338 to kill....
That’s good to know Greg. I’m sure you have used it plenty. I’m normally carrying some type of 6mm around here deer hunting and meat gathering. Like you I consider the 280AI to be my big gun....haha.
What bbl length on the PRC?

Posted By: Mjduct Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/31/20
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
What velocity is your 130gr round going at that accuracy?

And what is the twist rate?

About 3100 fps at the muzzle with a 1-9” twist.

I need to find some more 100 gr ttsx to try to build a screamer load for this rifle.
A 6.5 with a 9 twist? Standard is 8 or less... curious why the 9?

Kaleb's right. "Dog with 140s" cartridges have been killing stuff proper since before any of us were born. Like most Wonderkund products, the Creed just recognized this and branded it.

No pun intended. Far be it from me to pun on the internet.
The whole idea behind heavy high BC bullets is for long range. They drop less at extreme ranges and buck the wind better. They do not perform better at short and medium ranges, and may actually perform worse. Hitting a deer or antelope with a 123 at 3000fps hits them like lightning and no discernable drop to 300.

It's never been difficult to sort out who shoots and who types. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The "anemic" 147 has the wind drift advantage anchored within the 50yd line and of course welllllll beyond 1800yds too,because the constant never wanes. Hint.

123 Skinner at 2900fps. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

147 at 2600fps. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Starting velocity,ain't arrival velocity. The 300fps head start is cut nearly in half,at the 300yd line. The 76fps impact velocity "difference" at 500yds REALLY fhuqking "matters". Do tell how a Fhuqktard "factors" 1800yds?!? Hint. LAUGHING!

The "whopping" trajectory "difference" with the "lightning" 123 at the 300yd line,is one and a half fhuqking inches,with a 147 zero'd at 200yds with it...on top of the already halfa fhuqking foot correction requisite. Read that again. Now one more fhuqking time. Hint.

I rather enjoy you gals' Retardation,if only because you are certainly doing your HILARIOUS fhuqking "best". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................
The whole idea behind heavy high BC bullets is for long range. They drop less at extreme ranges and buck the wind better. They do not perform better at short and medium ranges, and may actually perform worse. Hitting a deer or antelope with a 123 at 3000fps hits them like lightning and no discernable drop to 300.

BC is simply a numerical designator,which describes aero-form. As BC increases,the loss of starting velocity DECREASES. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

The "lightning" 123 loses 516fps at the 300yd line,the "anemic" 147 only 375fps. The "lightning" 123 loses 832fps at the 500yd line,the "anemic" 147 only 508fps. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Along with the increase in BC,comes a more forgiving nature in projectile behavior. The 147 is boringly predictable,in it's stalwart abilities to break bone and crush vitals at Kreedmire velocities. Conjoin same,with the reduction in wind drift and dots are connected by mechanical default. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Not that I don't enjoy you Fhuqktards trying to "talk" Rifles and The Outdoors,via your Imagination and Pretend. Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

I’m sure the 123’s work great and very well may be better than what I’m shooting . I never meant to sound like I disagree. I was just saying that the 147’s work very well maybe not the absolute best but hardly a dog.

I shoot 120’s at 3k in 708 and have killed piles of deer with that load. It works very well. I shoot several different 243’s and 6 creed and those loads are +-3k with 95’ and 105’s. Those work great! 22-250AI shooting 75’s at 3,350 has been doing great things for 10 years now. Probably won’t get too many more years from that one. M

Anyway as long as a fella is happy with the results he’s getting that’s fine by me.
I've read ballistic studies on the creed and it was concluded that 130 class bullets actually seemed to be the happy medium. The odd part is a lot of bullet companies kind of skip that weight and jump from 120 to 140. I've shot 130 smk's in my creed, but not sure how they are for hunting.
I've read ballistic studies on the creed and it was concluded that 130 class bullets actually seemed to be the happy medium. The odd part is a lot of bullet companies kind of skip that weight and jump from 120 to 140. I've shot 130 smk's in my creed, but not sure how they are for hunting.

It is REALLY "surprising" that you've read farrrr more,than you've "done". Hint. Congratulations?!?

SMK's are the schittiest amongst schit,in their relative reliability on Game. Hint.

You are doing "GREAT!". Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

The 130 NAB at Creed speed is a WT killer...

At least at conventional hunting distances, can't speak about 900 yds, etc. No experience there nor is there likely to be....

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

The 130 NAB at Creed speed is a WT killer...

At least at conventional hunting distances, can't speak about 900 yds, etc. No experience there nor is there likely to be....

DF

The Scenars work great on deer and antelope, can't speak for the NAB, but hear good things. I just like to run the same bullet year round for steel and hunting, and the NAB's are pricey for steel. Last 6 out of 7 big game kills were with scenars. 123's and 108's. Shot one antelope at 763 with a 150 SMK and it worked, but not my first choice.
It’s been a while back but I remember a fella maybe Hondo doing a comparison between 130’s and 140’s and the 130’s won out and more normal hunting ranges. Seems aalf was shooting 130’s in his x47’s too but can’t remember for sure.
Posted By: aalf Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 12/31/20
Seems aalf was shooting 130’s in his x47’s too but can’t remember for sure.

I do, it's all I've ever shot in any of them, good compromise between speed & performance.
I shoot 150's in my 264. Building a 6.5-284 that I plan on trying 140-150's in. It's not a hunting gun, guessing it will be 15lbs as all up. Going to try 139 sceanars, 145 Barnes, and 150 sierras and see what it likes.

My buddy shot several antelope with the 143 ELD, but they weren't the X type, and on several they just whistled on through and it turned into a headache.
147's have been tipping over Moose and Brown Bears here,but only a few Caribou,Sheep,Goats and Elk. Hint. LAUGHING!

REALLY enjoyed the "Ballistics" attempt. Hint. LAUGHING!

You Fhuqktards area hoot! Hint.

LAUGHING!...................
Posted By: Fotis Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 01/01/21
How many brown bears are you tipped off with 147's you stupid loser. You are a window licking idiot you blame everybody else but you always write bullshit. All you comment on are hypothetical situations that you've never been in. You never killed anything but a stupid black tail and a whole bunch of fish dumbass. Malaka
Post some pictures of the brown bears you've killed with the 147 you stupid [bleep] loser
Posted By: Judman Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 01/01/21
Easy now fotis, it’s the imagination and pretend “pards”!!! Haha.

Please tell us more lazy Larry!! Haha
He has nothing to show but a bunch of sucky rusted rifles and a bunch of fish 🐠. However if he recycles all his liquor bottles he might be able to by a story. Fokkin window liquor
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..... those caribou and dall sheep are some tough fuuckers!!! Haha

Elk, well no “draws” here, get to kill 1 or 2 a year....

Moose, well everyone says they’re the easiest to kill....

Grizz, well Sitka dummy says they’re light boned and easy to kill, 80 gr 257 will handle em quite handily....

God damn, that vicariously livin is tough!!! Bang those Pom poms little bitch!!! Bang em!!! Haha 😂😂🤫

So easy, and so very predictable.... and very fun!! Booger hawgs for the win!! 🤣🤣🤣
Originally Posted by Fotis
He has nothing to show but a bunch of sucky rusted rifles and a bunch of fish 🐠. However if he recycles all his liquor bottles he might be able to by a story. Fokkin window liquor

And if you only knew how the stupid fuucker was catching those fish, you’d laugh your ass off!!! Flossing worthless cuunt...
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 01/01/21
I’m digging the 6.5 PRC I have, probably be the way I’d go. Lots of new 6.5’s in that category right now but I think the PRC will end up being the one with the most factory support when the dust settles.
Oh my...the couch is riled easily,as the gals fling Imaginary boolits at their Pretend. Hint.

LAUGHING!.........................
Hey Stick, happy new year.
Mb
Posted By: Dinny Re: Best 6.5 build for hunting - 01/01/21
Originally Posted by vacrt2002

I agree with this the most of any post in this entire thread. The good 'ol Swede kills out of proportion without much recoil or muzzle blast and is easy to find a good load for. Seems like a FC in 6.5x55 would be ideal.

Thanks, Dinny
© 24hourcampfire