-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The 6.5 PRC is the easy button for 140's at 3000+......finding components is another issue.......

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I’m going a little higher-velocity. I just ordered a 6.5-300 Wby Accuguard with a 1:8” twist 26” bbl. I can’t get ANY ammo right now, but hopefully that will ease up eventually, or I will have some custom loaded, as I don’t reload. Once I get some ammo, I will chrono it first and see what the rifle shoots best, but I am intrigued by these numbers based on the Wby MV specs:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My 26 Nos will do similar, maybe the edge to the Wby. I like SSII's, currently loaded 156 EOL with Vv 570.

For a lighter gun, lighter round, a 6.5 Creed with 130 NAB is a deer killing combo. And, it'll reach out pretty well...

DF

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
My 26 Nos will do similar, maybe the edge to the Wby. I like SSII's, currently loaded 156 EOL with Vv 570.

Yeah, I was about to get a 26 Nosler. DoubleTap makes some loads for that that they claim exceed the 6.5-300 Wby velocities for the same bullets. For example, they claim to produce 3,600 fps with the SSII 130gr.

The reason I bought the Wby was because I found an Accuguard chambered for it that was a lot cheaper than any comparable rifle I could find chambered for the 26 Nosler IMO.

What is your barrel twist, and what weight-range of bullets does your rifle seem to prefer?

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Golficeman
I have a 260, Creed, and 6.5 Swede. I want something to shoot 143's a bit faster. I have a 257Wby, 270, 30-06, and 7 mag that would do the jobs also, but so does everyone else. I've had 280AI's, but love the 6.5's I have options that will do the job, but I'm working on a project and I figured why not get the 6.5 going a bit faster and use it as my all-around, do everything in a light rifle. Looneying I guess.

Makes sense to me. I went down this rabbit hole myself (I'm still in it actually) looking for a little more downrange 6.5mm punch than can be had via a Creedmoor or a Swede.

First up was a 6.5 SAUM in a BigHorn SR3 short action with a fixed box magazine and braked varmint weight Bartlein 1/8 barrel. Great shooter capable of 3000 fps with 140 bullets although I usually run it a little slower. It was a real chore to get it to feed/eject properly, so if you decide to go the 6.5 PRC/SAUM route a detachable box magazine platform will likely make things easier. I built this rifle just before the 6.5 PRC introduction. Had the 6.5 PRC been available, I would have done a PRC.

Recently I've been experimenting with the 6.5-280 AI in a Model 70 (sporter with no muzzle brake) and a BAT HR (varmint style with a muzzle brake). Haven't shot these two much yet, but early indications are very promising, especially in the Model 70 which has a shorter throat. Proper feed/eject in the long action with the longer cartridge is much easier. In fact, it was no work at all (in my experience). Making the cases is super easy from Nosler 280 AI brass, but with the following very important caveat; that is be sure to use a STANDARD style full length sizing die (custom from Redding), not a repurposed 280 AI bushing die, to form the brass from virgin Nosler 280 AI brass because the bushing die will NOT resize the neck all the way down to the neck/shoulder junction. If the neck isn't sized all the way to the shoulder junction it probably won't chamber (I know the WTO website says otherwise). However, once the brass has been resized and shot, the 280 AI bushing style die can be used.

I like them both so I can't say which will be my favorite right now. Both can reach the 3000 fps with 140 grain bullet performance plateau, which is what you're after.

I have no experience, nor any interest in the 264 WM and 26 Nosler.

IC B2

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I just ordered everything for the 6.5 PRC. I guess I'll come as close to perfect as I can with a 24" tube.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Once you get up near Harrisonburg, you have the Blue Ridge, Shenandoah, and Massanutten mountains all together. It's not 7000ft, but there are some climbs that would take you a couple of hours to get to your stand.

A couple of hours to hike to your stand so that you could shoot a whitetail in vA? If you're over-watching 80 acre corn fields, couldn't you drive a 4x4 vehicle on whatever road, lane, or trail the farmer who planted and harvested those corn fields used to get there and back?

Sounds like a job for a NULA or something like it. If I was hunting that terrain, I'd probably carry my over-watch elk rifle, a CLR in 270. Good luck to you.

Wow! He’s asking about a rifle and you just keep going on and on about how and where he hunts. He’s not trying to prove anything about how the land lays and never asked you if he could just drive his 4x4 in. I totally agree with the fellas about taking one more look at you velocity requirements. That’s not what you asked so in that case a 6.5prc or win mag.

Perhaps because I am still confused. Hunting in tree covered mountains seems like a very different scenario than over-watching farm fields where optimized gear would be correspondingly different. A NULA for the mountains or a Jarrett for the valleys.

Or, perhaps because I'm bored and feeling a bit contrarian?

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Or you are "Big Stick" in disguise? It's really not hard to understand. When I go to camp, I take 2 rifles for 2 different needs. Usually a 270 or 280 and a 338-06, 338 Federal or 35 Whelen. I use those mostly for brush and in the laurel thickets from 200 in. We don't drive in to a lot of the places we go so we don't bust deer out of the fields. We walk about 1.5 to 2 miles into the mountain. The deer will leave the fields before shooting light and move into the mountain. We catch them in between food and bedding areas. Occasionally we have someone watch the fields from a stand that also gives you the ability to shoot 200 yds up lanes into the mountain and also shoot forever in the field. A 270, 280, 257 WBy would do all I'm looking for. That wasn't even the reasoning for the base topic. I wanted a 6.5 without being a magnum to push 140's. Period.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Or you are "Big Stick" in disguise? It's really not hard to understand. When I go to camp, I take 2 rifles for 2 different needs. Usually a 270 or 280 and a 338-06, 338 Federal or 35 Whelen. I use those mostly for brush and in the laurel thickets from 200 in. We don't drive in to a lot of the places we go so we don't bust deer out of the fields. We walk about 1.5 to 2 miles into the mountain. The deer will leave the fields before shooting light and move into the mountain. We catch them in between food and bedding areas. Occasionally we have someone watch the fields from a stand that also gives you the ability to shoot 200 yds up lanes into the mountain and also shoot forever in the field. A 270, 280, 257 WBy would do all I'm looking for. That wasn't even the reasoning for the base topic. I wanted a 6.5 without being a magnum to push 140's. Period.

I'm write in American English, not authentic Craig, AK, frontier gibberish ala Gabby Johnson and I never insulted you, so the answer to your first question seems as obvious as a rat turd in a bowl of sugar.

You have provided more information, the sort of information that my previous posts were seeking to extract. I don't see the added practical value of the cartridges that you are seeking information about doing anything that your 257 ROY doesn't already provide in spades, but I'm probably the last one to question redundancy of rifles and cartridges. Heck, my favorite long action 6.5mm bore cartridge is the 256 Newton.

Good luck with your build and good luck with your mountain, valley, farm field deer harvests in the Old Dominion State.

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks!

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I’m glad you finally provided enough information to get the approval for a new rifle. It would just be crazy for you to just want a new rifle because you just want a new rifle. No one does that around here....grin. I hope you enjoy your new gun.

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks Kaleb! I'm sure it will be about right. I mean a few rifles would be boring even if they overlap.🙄

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Kaleb! I'm sure it will be about right. I mean a few rifles would be boring even if they overlap.🙄

A guy with 25 260s, 15 6.5 CMs, and 10 6.5x55s isn't likely to argue against redundancy, go forth and churn.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If I had to narrow down my herd down to one rifle for hunting it would be my 6.5x55. Fun to rock steel with the 264 win mag though, but not as handy to carry. Luckily I haven't had to choose.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I’m surprised we made it 2 pages without it being said - you could always hit the “super easy” button ... and just give in to the 270. 😳

best answer and simple ^^

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
It never can just be simple...There are always a turd in the PT....hint...lol

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G

A guy with 25 260s, 15 6.5 CMs, and 10 6.5x55s isn't likely to argue against redundancy, go forth and churn.

It's sure funny how you always look for an excuse to let us know here on 24 HC how many rifles you own. It's hilarious...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I Had a Tikka T3 in .300 Win. Had Shaen Meagan re barrel to 6.5PRC. Feeds perfectly ,shoots well.

Theirs not much you can't do with a good 140 at 29-3000.

Lefty

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
I Had a Tikka T3 in .300 Win. Had Shaen Meagan re barrel to 6.5PRC. Feeds perfectly ,shoots well.

Theirs not much you can't do with a good 140 at 29-3000.

Lefty

Happy birthday. I bet that is a real nice rifle. I was kinda against a Tikka for a long time, until I tried one. Have a few now and have recommended them to several friends and family members. Everyone is happy with them.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by GregW

It's sure funny how you always look for an excuse to let us know here on 24 HC how many rifles you own. It's hilarious...

Actually when I first saw the thread I thought "Why not just buy the T3 in 6.5 Creed and be done with it for $875?"

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 163bc, 45 invisible), 2,182 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,336
Posts18,506,116
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.