Home
I have a 243 Remington laying around not getting shot and thinking I want a fast twist 22. It will be a #2 or #3ish contour mainly used for paper, and steel but built to hunt. Maybe the occasional crow, groundhog, coyote, and deer. It will likely, eventually end up in an McM Mtn Rifle stock. Kind of a have fun and do most of what I do with a rifle, type rifle. What do I want?

Thanks.
There's also the 22GT, the 22x47, and the 22BR to consider.

grins.
With a .473" S/A 700 Donor,I'd go 7" RPM 224 Speedmire,in a Factory Sporter contour,wrapped in an Outlander. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'............
Originally Posted by dave284
I have a 243 Remington laying around not getting shot and thinking I want a fast twist 22. It will be a #2 or #3ish contour mainly used for paper, and steel but built to hunt. Maybe the occasional crow, groundhog, coyote, and deer. It will likely, eventually end up in an McM Mtn Rifle stock. Kind of a have fun and do most of what I do with a rifle, type rifle. What do I want?

Thanks.

I’d say do a 22 Creed they are just slightly more than a
22-250. Shoot some 75g bullets in the 3600fps range. Definitely devistating on coyotes
22CM with a #2 contour, 22” spout, 1-7” twist, shank .75”, McMillan MR edge stock and a trigger tech would be a lot of fun. Go for it!
Originally Posted by Big Stick
With a .473" S/A 700 Donor,I'd go 7" RPM 224 Speedmire,in a Factory Sporter contour,wrapped in an Outlander. Hint.

Just sayin'............

This or I might would splurge and get a McMillan Hunter. I would like to try the manners eh8 but I’d want to have stock for it first. Who knows how long it would take to have the manners with a correct inlet.
22 CM. No fire forming, excellent brass available.
RHR will have an Outlander to you in 3 days. Hint..............
And there's nothing wrong with a 6BR...
Very accurate.. May not feed as well as the others though.

I know your donor is a .243 but for a fun gun that shoots well a .223 or AI version is really hard to beat..

Your choices, .22 creed, hands down.
Never paid much attn to those Outlander stocks. May have to give those a thought on next project. I'd probably go 7.5 twist in either 6mm creed or 22 creed.
I've got rifles in everything thus far mentioned,save Gay Tiger and '47,along with a buncha' other chamberings,which haven't. Hint.

BR feed/function is a breeze,like everything else and I'd not sweat that,whether in CRF or PF,as I drive both happily. The path of least resistance,is AICS DBM and mags slated to same. Outlanders are nice there too. Hint.

I have both 224 and 243 Kreed's in 7.5" RPM,as well as 8" and 7". The only way bullets get better,are to get longer and Reserve RPM don't hurt that equation. Hint...............
Holland and Holland dremel inletting on the Outlander for the M5 fit?
That's my approach,but if you don't mind a wait and a little more loot,GB will inlet for M5 right outta' da' gate. Hint.

I'll take mine in 3-days. Hint............(grin)
Kind of glad to see the majority saying Creed. I've wanted a 22-250 for a long time but every time I started to buy one something else caught my eye. Since the Creed came out it has been in the back of my mind and had me thinking.

Woodson, my thoughts exactly.

Pat, I have a .223 and yes, it is fun. Mine won't stabilize anything heavy and long but is way too accurate with the light stuff to mess with.

Stick, Outlander hmmm... Definitely would be faster and cheaper. Mighty fond of the Mtn Rifle profile though.

Thanks all.
Dave.
The World is a big place,but I'd simply have mine in (3) fhuqking days. Hint.(grin)

Just sayin'..................
.22BR is definitely on my would like to have list never had one..
I shoot 22BR. Hint.

In a LW Little Bitch,I'd stay the course and go 224 Speedmire. Hint................
Stick, thanks for the side x side pics. Closer than I thought they were. Is the Outlander thicker through the wrist and on the forearm or is just the pics?
The Outlander's greatest difference is in forearm. I like that they're ambi. I also like that they're lighter. Hint.

If you were going MR contour,I'm in the MR camp,once you exceed that,I'm looking elsewhere(Classic or Sako Hunter in McMillan). With your prescribed #2 or #3 contour,I'd be shooting the Outlander in (3) days. Hint...............(grin)
Dave. I took a Howa light mountain rifle in 243 and had it rebarreled to a 22 Creedmoor. 8 twist 24” barrel . Built it for coyote hunting. I run 75gr elds at 3550. Absolute death on yotes. Build the Speedmore you won’t regret it.
As much as I love Hornie 75's,the Speedmire REALLY comes alive with .585 BC 90gr Beer Cans at 3250fps. Hint.

Plum fhuqking AMAZING. Hint................
I would gladly take that stock off your hands^^^

Certificate or not

That is Saweet!!!
I probably shouldn't have given this Smear away...though it went to the right place. Hint.

No regerts here,for retaining a few,along with their provenance. Hint..............(grin)
I’m clip slotted action rich and stock poor, and you dangle candy…

Pure awesome!!!
I've simply honored Retrostalgia. Hint.

My initial Smear went to a Master Gunny of repute(who's often shy) and he gave it to an 8541. As it should be. Such things are warm and fuzzy. Hint.

The various Camo's I have,are shot lovingly...especially them with matching numbers. When I die,my casket will be full and Tomb Raiders will think they are fence posts! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............
Originally Posted by alibi
I’m clip slotted action rich and stock poor, and you dangle candy…

Pure awesome!!!

McMillan sure threw us a bone. I think they let us have them for around 200$ back when they released them to us on the hide, that was probably 15 years ago??? Looking at my pic that's still when I had leupolds and dd's on rifles. Lol

I let the top stock go years ago but still have the numbers matching bottom 2. Middle stock has an ltr 308 barreled action in it. The bottom stock has a 22" 1-8"tw rock #7 223ai in it.

I can't ever see me getting rid of the 2 I have left.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
223ai here in that bottom stock pictured above. Don't have any pics of the 308 on here.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
DD's have fared wayyyyyyyyy better than Reupold's. Hint...................(grin)
It’s a cool bunch of history fellas especially knowing how the Corps has recently gutted the infantry battalions once again. Sad [bleep] to be honest. They continue to make mistakes that cost lives during the next gunfight.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/ne...niper-platoons-from-infantry-battalions/

It won’t die but it doesn’t seem to have much forethought on killing bad guys.
Originally Posted by Big Stick
As much as I love Hornie 75's,the Speedmire REALLY comes alive with .585 BC 90gr Beer Cans at 3250fps. Hint.

Plum fhuqking AMAZING. Hint................

Do I spy a Remage nut on that? If so what brand barrel and did you have the action worked or just screw it on?
That's a NSS James spout and I have lots of them. Hint.

I simply positive headspace neck sized Virgin brass and run them. All have been fabulous,from 223 to 6.5-06. Hint...............
I have 22-250’s and a 22-250AI. That 22-250AI is a very accurate rifle. But I would rather go with a 6mm Rem if I were to go for white-tail. Even though I dropped a white tail with a 22-250 years ago - it was the rifle that was in the truck.

Not sure if there’s a nickel’s worth of difference between a 22-250AI and a 22 Creedmoor.
Booger,

Your Retard Report,while fascinating,simply illustrates why you should be asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
Bugger, if I don't like the 22's effect on deer I have plenty of deer rifles to use, but I'm thinking it won't suck.
The 6mm Rem is a Goat Fhuqk,though in fairness...I shoot 6mm Rem AI too and it's Goat Fhuqkeder. Hint.

As a blend of SINISTER performance to mainstream COAL latitude,the Speedmire STEALS the fhuqking show. .585 BC 90's at 3200fps+,with miles of room to chase lands,little recoil,modest powder consumption and sensational terminal effects. It do nice things,fending atmospherics to boot and is funner than fhuqk to shoot. Hint..................
I would do a Creed if starting from scratch.

I currently have a 1:8 22-250, have not shot any deer with the heavies yet. 77gr Lapua's shoot fantastic and have played out to about 800 yards with it.

First barrel was factory 1:14 and can tell you that a 53gr TSX at 3850fps takes care of deer/antelope with aplomb.

Once this current 1:8 barrel is shot out, will go with a Creed.

As far as stocks, go with one that fits you.
© 24hourcampfire