Home
Putting a rifle together,

What’s your thoughts on using a REM 700 Long action,

And then chambering the rifle for a short cartridge….

Lets just say, maybe 7mm-08, or .308 Winchester,

Who’s done this, any issues with feeding or functions?

Bad idea, iffy, or go for it with zero hesitaion.
#tikka

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I haven't done it with a Reminton but have with a Pre 64 Mod 70 FWT. .358 Win in a 30-06 (standard) action. Works fine.
I don't think Steven's ever made a short action. They were all Steven's 200 with different bolt faces, different mag boxes.
Our own Seafire has a 6mm Rem on a long action and gets along fine with it. I think the advantage is being able to seat the long, heavy bullets out further and not run out of mag length.
I have Gentry 7×57 using a Rem 700 LA. Not 1 hickup, feeds perfectly, and as stated previously, mag box length nicely accommodates the higher BC bullets. Also picking up an excellent 284 Win put together using a Rem 700 LA and am truly expecting the same results.
Truthfully it’s a waste of a 3.6” action. Previous mention of using a 6mm Remington or 7x57 and 284 Win on a long action is what’s needed considering their COAL and brass length with high BC bullet use in 6mm and 7mm. I would contemplate 270 Win or 280 Rem for hunting over chambering SA chambers on a 700 LA.

Many SA turn bolts have magazines that allow 2.90”+ and are throated long, which is plenty for seating high BC bullets in either caliber. My Howa 308 Win has a 2.92” magazine and is throated to lands at 2.907”. I load 178 eld-x at 2.88”. I’m not necessarily trying for high velocity as much as reducing pressure while using long, heavy projectiles.
My comment is same as OSU_Sig. Haven't done it yet. But was considering it for the purpose of shooting long bullets seated out in a 358 winchester shooting 300 plus grain home swaged bullets. Loonng soft point bullets. RZ.
I guess it just comes down to what you want, and that's ALL good!

I happen to be a big fan of Rem 700 LA's, so that's what I use and will continue to "waste" away.
IMO the loading/ejection port on a 700 Short action is too short. You can't just drop loaded rounds into the mag, they have to go in point 1st then pulled to the rear to push down into the mag. With cold hands or gloves they are hard to load. On a hunting rifle that is why I like the model 7 action. It is actually shorter and lighter than a 700 Short action, but the opening in longer.

On the original 7's there was only 1 mounting screw on the rear receiver bridge requiring a one piece base. But that's been years ago. They all have 4 holes now. On a target rifle the 700 Short action is stiffer and theoretically more accurate. And the loading/ejection port is less of a problem.

And like others have said it works with Tikka. In fact I'd strongly suggest Tikka over Remington anyway.

FWIW, the Army 308 Sniper rifles were all built on 700 long actions.
Originally Posted by JMR40

Ah, no. M40s are short action, M24s, long.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_700#Development
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by JMR40

Ah, no. M40s are short action, M24s, long.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_700#Development

I believe M40s are Marine Corps rifles.
From your previous post, it’s not a waste if you’re shooting a 7x57 Mauser on a Rem 700 LA. You couldn’t do it on a true SA. Your COAL per SAAMI is about 3.10” and that’s old time data when considering bullet technology, especially 7mm. With todays 7mm bullet selection you could easily seat out much further, throat permitting. Exact same thing for the 284 Win, it’s SAAMI COAL is 2.80”. Very few folks today shoot a 284 Winchester on a .473” true SA with that COAL as it’s a bit self defeatist. Just look at the 6.5/284 Norma with a SAAMI COAL of 3.228”, you could easily do the same thing in 284 Win with todays incredible 7mm bullets provided your barrel twist rate will accommodate such projectiles. A real screamer on a 700 LA .473” bolt would be a Wby 6.5 RPM, a cartridge with a stretched 284 Win case.
My bad Rossimp...
Screwed a 22-250 barrel on a long action rem 700.

Put it this way, it was a good single shot!
Originally Posted by LJBass
I don't think Steven's ever made a short action. They were all Steven's 200 with different bolt faces, different mag boxes.
I’m not familiar with Steven’s?

Who/what is that?
I built a 7WSM on a R700 LA, fed via AICS mags. Works slicker than pig snot.
I have a defiance ruckus long action bdl with a 25-06 barrel and a 22 creedmoor barrel. I’ve only got to play with the 22 creed barrel a little while before switching to the 25-06 for deer season but it worked fine with bullets seated long.
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Who/what is that?

A Savage brand.

For many, many years, all Savage bolt rifles were built on the long action. I have a model 112 varmint weight in 22-250. It was purchased in late '80s.
I've got a 7saum on a LA 700. I can seat the 197s way out there. It's in an XLR chassis and feeds great.

I once built a 22br on a LA Savage as it's the only spare action I had.
I have a 300WSM in Tikka, converted to LA and it works perfectly. I currently am having a 7mm SAUM built on a Defiance XM 3.2" box. I have hopes.
Most accurate factory rifle I have ever owned was a Savage 110 chambered .223. BIG spacer block at the back of the magazine. Routinely shot 5 shot groups in the .4's, occasional .3's. at 100 yards. Would have no qualms if that is what I wanted to do...
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Who/what is that?

A Savage brand.

For many, many years, all Savage bolt rifles were built on the long action. I have a model 112 varmint weight in 22-250. It was purchased in late '80s.
I have a Savage 22-250, now on its second barrel. It's a long action and functions fine. Those using 7x57s as an example are stating the obvious as a 7x57 won't really work in a 2.8" sorry action, whereas the 22-250 is just the opposite-a very short cartridge.
FWIW, there wasn't a SA Mod 70 until the 80's or 90's. With the pre-64 everything from .22Hornet - .458 WM all on the same action.
83/84
I almost had a 700 LA done in a fast twist 243. Wanted the extra leg room for longer bullets.

Went with a 6CM in a SA instead but think the 243 would have worked fine as well.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Who/what is that?

A Savage brand.

Yep, my .308 110 had a shorter magazine and (IIRC) the magazine cut out in the bottom of the receiver was shorter too. Feed just fine that way.
Couple years ago I had everything lined up to build a 6mm Remington on a long action 700,which they should have been from the factory imo. At the last minute when I already had everything at the smith I decided to try a 6 cm so I called and asked if everything would work all the same. He said it should…. I know in the end he had to do a little extra work to get everything to feed 100 percent, but works how it should now.
Originally Posted by ND2506AI
Couple years ago I had everything lined up to build a 6mm Remington on a long action 700,which they should have been from the factory imo.

Agree .... I had a 257Roberts done on a 700 LA and like it.
In process of putting together a 7SAUM on a 700 long action. Will either be bdl or Adl as I havnt decided yet. Ability to long seat heavy bullets was why I went this route.
Originally Posted by Full3r
In process of putting together a 7SAUM on a 700 long action. Will either be bdl or Adl as I havnt decided yet. Ability to long seat heavy bullets was why I went this route.

I’m seriously considering rebarreling my 700 LA 25-06 to 284 Win for that reason. Just need to decide if I want to shoot the old obsolete 25-06 much longer. 😂
223 on long action Savage.
22-250 on a long action Winchester.

Both feed fine.
Made a 338 RCM SA sporter. Seeing I had the reamer is set up a Mark X LA using the reamer a second time and a throating reamer for the 300 gr Sierra MK and the OTM Berger. The OAL is significantly longer. Bullet boattail/bearing surface junction is even with shoulder/neck junction of case. Feeds fine.
Have a 6mm and.244 Remington on LA model 700’s. Work great.

No, the Stevens 200 actually came in two different action lengths and three different screw spacings. Long actions use a screw spacing of 5.06", the stagger feed (discontinued) SA had a screw spacing of 4.27", and the current center feed SA rifles are 4.40". The Savage Axis rifles all use the same length action.
Did a 6mm AI on a 700 long action. Has a fast twist barrel and is throated to seat long bullets a long way out. Works well, feeds well. I don’t recall if my smith worked on any feeding issues.
The 7X57 is on a long action and it is the parent to the 6mm Remington that was put on a short action!! I have a long action 6mm Remington and a 6.5x284 and not problems at all.
I'm curious what the "waste" is. Please explain.
Magazine space?? A tiny bit of extra weight for no benefit? 😊
Weatherby's MK V's have the same action with an accommodating magazine box. I have an M70 FWT in 308 that is a long action. No issues.
I built a 25-284 on a Remington long action I had laying around. Feeding was iffy most of the time , however it did allow me room to load those extra long .25 cal bullets and try them out. In the end it was a rifle I never fell in love with and it went down the road.
© 24hourcampfire