Home
Posted By: 4200m Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
Considering a Douglas barrel for a 308 custom build. Anyone have any experince with a Douglas.

Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
I had one on a .250 AI and on a 25-284. They shot as well as my Hart of the same contour. They might have fouled a little more...

John
Posted By: 4200m Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
Did you have chrome moly or stainless?
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
Stainless.

John
Posted By: mudhen Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
I have several CM barrels and they all shoot better than I can hold. Folks here on the campfire don't seem too high on them, but the ones that I have work fine for me...
Posted By: 4200m Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
Ok thanks. They have been getting some bad press here on the Campfire?
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
Originally Posted by 4200m
Considering a Douglas barrel for a 308 custom build. Anyone have any experince with a Douglas.

Douglas is a good barrel, but not a great barrel. better than factory but are second tier like E.R.Shaw, Pac-Nor, McGowen etc. If you want a great barrel for a couple dollars more try a Kreiger, Broughton, Hart, Bartlein, even a Shilen select.
B
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10

I've had experience with three Douglas barrels - all in 35 caliber. Two CM, one SS. Wondering how a Douglas barrel that fires a 3/4", 3 shot group on the 4th, 5th and 6th shots out of the new barrel is second tier, but it must be so.

IIRC Melvin Forbes uses them exclusively on his NULA rifles. Might call him and ask, he's probably got more experience with them than anyone else.
Posted By: rflshtr Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
I have a SS on a Rem 7 in 25 cal, two CM 35's on Winchesters and a CM 7-08 on my NULA. All shoot very well and are no harder to clean than my Shilen's and Lilja's. Would buy more.
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
I have had 3 Douglas barrels: 7mm #1, 338 #2 and a 375 #4. All are CM and all shoot <MOA. I have no complaints at all whether shooting or cleaning. They are all clearly better than factory barrels.

RH
Posted By: goodshot Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
One of my best friends has a Ruger 77 tang safty with a 26" douglas ss in 25-06.Trigger adjusted and action faced squared. Gun typically shoots 3 shots wit 117grn sierras under 1/2' if he does his part.Cleans up quick......kills deer just fine. very good barrel if you ask me!
Posted By: goodshot Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
One of my best friends has a Ruger 77 tang safty with a 26" douglas ss in 25-06.Trigger adjusted and action faced squared. Gun typically shoots 3 shots wit 117grn sierras under 1/2' if he does his part.Cleans up quick......kills deer just fine. very good barrel if you ask me!
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
I've used several CM barrels from 25 to 30 cal........if installed properly they are just fine.

I'd use more of them.

MM
Posted By: ColdBore Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
What do you plan on using it for?

I have a Douglas on a long range match rifle. It shoots Master class scores from prone with a sling and irons. No telling how much better it might be with a scope off of bags and a bench!

I either currently own, or have owned, probably 20 or so of them. Also own/have owned Hart, Pac-Nor, Lilja, and Shilen.

For a hunting rifle, shot under field conditions, you will never know the difference in any of them.

Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
I've got a stainless #3 in .223AI, stainless #3 in .358, and stainless #2 in .308. All are good shooters. I have no problem with Douglas barrels.

One note on the .308 barrel...I'm not sure if it is the #2 contour or if it has something to do with the .308 caliber, or both.....but if I run my hands up the outside of the barrel I can feel noticable "steps" in the change of the outside contour.... At first I was worried I had a bad barrel, but it shot so well that I knew there was no problem with the inside of the barrel. I guess it's just a result of where it rests when the barrel is being contoured.... After shooting it I gave it no thought..

JCM
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
Originally Posted by boatanchor

Douglas is a good barrel, but not a great barrel. better than factory but are second tier like E.R.Shaw, Pac-Nor, McGowen etc. If you want a great barrel for a couple dollars more try a Kreiger, Broughton, Hart, Bartlein, even a Shilen select.
B

I sure wouldn't group Pac-Nor as a second tier barrel. Shaw, A&B, McG perhaps, but not Pac-Nor.
Posted By: DMB Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
I'm a big fan of Douglas barrels. Bought my first one in 1960 for a 22-250 build, and have stayed with them ever since, for CM builds. Have never had one issue with Douglas barrels. For SS builds, I use Hart bbls. However, to be perfectly honest, I did buy one Douglas SS barrel to evaluate it. It's a 22 BR now, and shoots very well; three shots into a 3/8" group at 100 yards. I'm a tester at heart.
Posted By: passport Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
Melvin Forbs sure likes em and the NULA's are highly thought of here but seems few want to re-barrel in one. Im giving one a go on my next project, I have talked to a few smiths just this week about them and hear good things.

YMMV
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
I seem to recall Mr. Coleman likes the Douglas as well.
dave
Posted By: Redneck Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
Douglas is a good barrel, but not a great barrel. better than factory but are second tier like E.R.Shaw, Pac-Nor, McGowen etc.
??? Pac-Nor 'second tier'??

Not hardly...

Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
One note on the .308 barrel...I'm not sure if it is the #2 contour or if it has something to do with the .308 caliber, or both.....but if I run my hands up the outside of the barrel I can feel noticable "steps" in the change of the outside contour....
Yep.. That's my only beef with Douglas - the outside finish is horrible; it takes about a half-day just to polish away those 'steps' and make it look like a barrel..

That's the only reason I stay away from Douglas barrels - and if a customer truly wishes to have one, I'm going to charge a higher fee to install it to cover the extra work involved...

Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
Douglas is a good barrel, but not a great barrel. better than factory but are second tier like ...Pac-Nor...

Dumbest post of the year so far...
Posted By: clintsfolly Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
i have 3 and no you can,t buy them!!!! Clint
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
Originally Posted by dave7mm
I seem to recall Mr. Coleman likes the Douglas as well.
dave

He shure does. I have two Douglas tubes that Mr. Coleman done the work on and my uncle has one. All shooters. Mr. Forbes thinks they will do also. The smiths I've talked to think most all the barrels are good these days. I've only talked to 4 or 5 though, so thats a pretty small sample but enough for me.
Posted By: hrnhuntr Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
I have used a few Douglas with no complaints, all shot very well and cleaned up well.
Posted By: badger Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/27/10
My 2 6mmBR's wear Douglas barrels, as does my 22-250, 223AI, one of my 243AI's, 250AI,7-08AI. The only other "aftermarket" barrel I have is a Broughton on Orange Crush, my heavy barreled 243AI with Tac 30 action. To be truthful, I can't say its better than the Douglas stuff. Have shot groups in the 0.1's with both BR's and the 0.2's with most of the others. (All smithed by Mickey, BTW) I just figgered out where my 401k went crazy
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/28/10
Never had a bad Douglas. They have all shot well and do to this day. I happen to like a cut rifled barrel a little better.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/28/10
douglas will finish turn/sand to a smooth finish for an additional $10.00 for anybody that orders in the future

gene
Posted By: super T Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/28/10
I've used Douglas barrels and they suit me. However, you'd not see many on rifles for bench rest competition. If you use a smith who knows his trade, the Douglas will do just fine.
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/28/10
I have a Douglas on a Rem 700 in 7 Rem Mag. Blue-26"...
Shoots tiny groups w/ 140, 150, 160 gr handloads.
Cleans up nice, slicker than greased eelshit, inside and out.
No complaints here.
Posted By: 4200m Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/28/10
Thanks for all the comments my Douglas is ordered.

Posted By: D2Junky Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/29/10
You will by pleased I'm sure. I have a few and am nothing but pleased as well.....I really don't think in a hunting rifle you will find much difference in the major players these days.
Posted By: Mull Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/29/10
I've Had a Few. Last one Was on 20 Tac. It was a Shooting SOB. You'll Be Pleased..
Posted By: dawaba Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/30/10
Unless your name is David Tubb, the Douglas will be more accurate than you are.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/30/10
Originally Posted by dawaba

So true... IMO.
Posted By: DMB Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/30/10
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Douglas is a good barrel, but not a great barrel. better than factory but are second tier like ...Pac-Nor...

Amen!!!
Bob Collins from Georgia won the Alabama State 22 Rimfire Benchrest Championship with a Douglas barrel.[Linked Image]
Posted By: DMB Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/30/10
Originally Posted by badger
I just figgered out where my 401k went crazy

You mean Coleman got your loot??

[Linked Image]

Posted By: badger Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/30/10
Originally Posted by DMB
I just figgered out where my 401k went crazy

You mean Coleman got your loot??

[Linked Image]

It was like, wierd. One minute I was rich, the next penniless...........

(But I do have a few good shooters, though smile )
Posted By: Huntaria_Setters Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/30/10
Originally Posted by Huntr
Originally Posted by dawaba

So true... IMO.

Last time I talked to Melvin Forbes (a couple of years ago, now), he was still using Douglas barrels on his NULA's.
Posted By: atkinsonhunting Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/30/10
I used them for years and never had a bad one and was very satisfied with all of them...However today I prefer and only use the Lothar Walthar barrels, but they are considerably more money..Your Douglas is a great choice IMO...
Posted By: MColeman Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/31/10
Douglas makes as good a barrel as you can buy. My partner, Chris, who is a master tool and die maker, went through their shop last September and checked everything out.

When we left we rode for a while and Chris said to me, "I've always thought Douglas made good barrels but after seeing how they do it I am convinced that you just can't make a better barrel."

You'll get into the Ford vs. Chevy mindset on this subject and there are those who believe just as strongly that Hart, Krieger (pick one) makes the very best barrel. Believe what you will but I know how they're made and I've made too many rifles using Douglas barrels and I know what they will do.

In building rifles I'll use whatever brand barrel the customer chooses because it is their rifle, not mine, but I use Douglas barrels on my rifles.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/31/10
At last count I'm running 8 Douglas barrels and have had another 1/2 dozen, never an issue with any of them.
Yep.. That's my only beef with Douglas - the outside finish is horrible; it takes about a half-day just to polish away those 'steps' and make it look like a barrel..

That's because you order them pre-turned. Order them 'finish turned' (costs an extra $10) and you won't have that problem. Those 'bumps' come from their contour lathe and that's where the follow rest rides. No need to thank me, Dish. (from 'Lonesome Dove') smile
I just figgered out where my 401k went

Have I overlooked any $$$$ just layin' around? wink
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/31/10
Mickey Coleman ,

Built my rem 700 22-250 w/a 26" #4 douglas xx and it shoots like a dream.
Cleans right up w/a couple of patches after wipe-out and load developement took about twenty shots .
Last time i checked the load it shot a 2-7/8" then a 3-1/2" three shot group at 453yds.
Bragging shot with that rifle 378yd coyote kill .
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/31/10
the featherweight contour Douglas Mickey put on my daughter's Roberts is sub half minute with factory loads....nuff sed.
Posted By: badger Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/31/10
Originally Posted by MColeman

Maybe.............. laugh
Posted By: lawdog44 Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/31/10
douglas makes a good barrel I have a 6mm-06 that I have shot many 3 shot groups a 100yds under 1/4 inch and have shot thumbtacks at 100 yards with ( off sand bags ) it is 28 in heavy xx barrel that was a 244 { before I had it rechambered } on a rockisland / springfield 03 It is my groundhog gun.
Originally Posted by MColeman

Maybe.............. laugh

I'll try to do better in the future. (I surely am glad I don't have a BMW to get repaired right now. smile )
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/31/10
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Guess you have not proof read half of your own post's then laugh
I said Pac-Nor was second tier and I stand by that, in the last decade I have had 2 absolutely horrible Pac-Nor barrels out of 9. not good odds.
Never had a bad Krieger,Hart,Broughton or Shilen. it is amazing on this site how people drool on them selves if you mention Pac-Nor thinking they are so great when in reality they are not, their quality control is not the best.
B
Posted By: OldCenterChurch Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/31/10
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
the featherweight contour Douglas Mickey put on my daughter's Roberts is sub half minute with factory loads....nuff sed.

Steve, Mickey and I used your GAP camo stock to drive fence posts and your barreled action to prop-open the door yesterday! Thanks! shocked
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/31/10
That was mean .
Posted By: CLB Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/31/10
I've had very good luck with Douglas and feel they make a quality product. Love their SS options and priced right too.

I built a 6.5-06 on a model 70 with a Douglas 26" CM medium weight and it shot nickles and dimes for years with pretty much everything I could load. Killed a boat load of chucks too smile

CLB
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Douglas Barrels - 01/31/10
I've got a Mickey Coleman built 6BR with a #4 Douglas that literally shots one hole groups. I think Douglas builds a heck of a good barrel.
Posted By: MColeman Re: Douglas Barrels - 02/01/10
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

Steve, Mickey and I used your GAP camo stock to drive fence posts and your barreled action to prop-open the door yesterday! Thanks! shocked

DID NOT! I wouldn't prop open windows with that barrel. (We have the stock almost repaired.) wink
Posted By: Redneck Re: Douglas Barrels - 02/01/10

I said Pac-Nor was second tier and I stand by that, in the last decade I have had 2 absolutely horrible Pac-Nor barrels out of 9. not good odds.
I've had only one out of nearly two dozen.. Quickly and fully replaced by Pac-Nor.. I cannot fault their customer service..
Never had a bad Krieger,Hart,Broughton or Shilen.
I've had a bad Krieger.. Customer gave up on it and I installed a Lilja for him.. Cured that problem..

Point is: a turd can leave the bowl no matter who/what the manufacturer...

Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Douglas Barrels - 02/03/10
Just now unwrapped my first Douglas barreled action. I'm as excited as a kid at Christmas to get it all together and take it to the range.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Douglas Barrels - 02/03/10
What's it chambered for?
Posted By: oulufinn Re: Douglas Barrels - 02/03/10
Mickey plumbed up a Douglas barreled 350 Rem Mag. for me & it's a darn good shooter. (When the loose nut behind the trigger is tight..)
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Douglas Barrels - 02/04/10
Originally Posted by Steelhead
What's it chambered for?

358 Norma of course.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Douglas Barrels - 02/04/10
Well DUH on me.
Posted By: 4200m Re: Douglas Barrels - 02/04/10
Thanks MColeman, mine will be finished in a couple of weeks i can't wait.
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Douglas Barrels - 02/04/10
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Well DUH on me.

I can only hope to aquire the stable of fine rifles you have Steelhead. This is my first, but probably won't be the last custom.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Douglas Barrels - 02/04/10
I've been using Douglas barrels since about 1973. Haven't anything to complain about yet. Guess I'll get another one for my next build. They work just fine for me.
Paul B.
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: Douglas Barrels - 02/04/10
OK ok I'll go against the grain here... frown

I've had 4 Dougy barrels, all 4 were CM. The one I had in 416 Taylor I didn't wear out mainly cause I found someone who wanted the gun more than me.

The other 3 barrels I had were a 25/06, and two 7 Mashburn Supers.

Bottom line, here's in a nut shell what their life cycles were for me.

Broke in very rough, first 150 rounds accuracy was no bueno. Then their accuracy all got better. Then all 3 died in and around 1K rounds.

I expect a lot from barrels, I am not kind to barrels and for me my experience was 3 for 3 that they're just not for me.

Now I did not have a one in stls and maybe their stls tubes are mo better.

Lastly, I did put in a call to Douglas about what I'd experienced basically just to see if they'd experienced a rough lot of barrels or something like that.

The fella I spoke with very gruffly basically just said, "hmmp, I've worn out STW barrels in 75 rounds" and I don't know you so tough tookies..

Maybe I caught him on a bad day, maybe not. I do know that from my experiences with the tubes my gut feeling tells me that they're a decent tube but won't handle what I'm gonna put them thru.

I've spoken with a member here who I respect and he feels that if I go stls I might see something different. Maybe some day I'll give it a go again. And maybe not as I know what I can get out of other tubes for just a bit more coinage.

Lastly and I've said this b4, but what's important to me is how a barrel lives it's life. In other words how it breaks in, how it shoots from the get go, how long it lasts b4 it begins to get rough and tough to clean and lastly how it dies.

Just my way and I am sure as heck glad to see so many other people who've had good luck with them as I sure didn't.

Dober
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Douglas Barrels - 02/04/10
Mark R Dobrenski
How many rounds do you get out of a SS Schneider in 7mm Mashburn before they puke?
If you dont mind my asking.
dave
Dave-with the Schneiders I find that around 1700-2K rounds with the hot rounds (Mashburn,340's, 6/06 etc) that things begin to give a bit. By this I mean they begin to get a bit froggy in the throat, and cleaning becomes a bit more work and it isn't far from that that I begin to chase the lands.

I'd have to take a close at my notes but this tube is in the 3K range, it's a bit rough albeit it still shoots ok and I'm chasing the lands pretty hard. But in this economy I'm being a bit more forgiving... wink

Guess my thoughts are that its safe to say that I'm getting 2x the round count with Schneider than "I" did with Dougy so for me it's well worth the xtra cheddar to go with them from the get go.

Now in all honesty if I wasn't such a ruthless shooter and practicer (is that a word?) I'm more than sure I'd be plenty good off with a Dougy.

Some day I'll have Mickey or Redneck twist on a Dougy Stls for me just to see what I'm missing.

Dober
Stainless Douglas is the way to fly.
I know I know u keep telling me that, if you didn't I wouldn't think 2x about trying them again. So, if I dive in it's all cause of you, you enabler...grin

Dober
I've had their CM take a bit of time to settle in and one that really needs to be fouled hard.

The SS tubes seem like completely different barrels.
Posted By: SST Re: Douglas Barrels - 02/04/10
I've only had two Douglas barrels, and they both shot fine. However, you can buy a hand lapped Stainless Match Shilen for LESS MONEY.

Douglas Barrels

Douglas #3: $214.00
Air Gauged 35.00
Stainless 68.00

$317.00

The Barrel Man (http://www.thebarrelman.com/)

Shilen #3 Stainless Match Barrel $205.00
Match Grade Included
Stainless Included
Hand Lapped Included

$205.00

Posted By: dave7mm Re: Douglas Barrels - 02/05/10
Mark R Dobrenski
My first custom a Nelson Berger 280 AI which I still have is pretty rough at 1400.Not hard to feel how rough it is while cleaning.Its a Douglas SS air guaged.Just a solid MOA gun at 400 yards.I abused it to no end in its early days and now its just alittle more work to clean than Im a liken these days.
Accurany has dropped off as well.
Douglas does not lap there barrels.I called them and asked them why thay didnt....Guy said"if you button it right, it dont need lapped". OK.
I still think it took a bit longer to break in and settle down than my Schneiders or my Harts or my Liljas Or my Rocks.But thats just me.
I'd buy another.

dave
Posted By: Seafire Re: Douglas Barrels - 02/05/10
Ok thanks. They have been getting some bad press here on the Campfire?

I've had several low dollar ER Shaw barrels, and they really get flamed for accuracy and quality..

However the ones I have gotten have been as good of accuracy as I can ask for..

not a benchrest shooter... so they may not be that accurate..

but one hole 5 shot groups at 100 yds, is plenty good enough for my uses..

and a Douglas will be every bit as good if not better...
Posted By: luke Re: Douglas Barrels - 02/11/10
My Douglas barreled 220 Swift Standard weight, put 3 different bullet weight and loads into 5/8" when I checked her out before season a few years ago. I think thats a sign of an outstanding barrel.
Posted By: pduryee Re: Douglas Barrels - 02/14/10
I've used them for years, back when I was growing up Douglas XX Premium Barrels were the barrels to have. I have three of my own now and they are all great barrels. That being said the last one I bought is just that........the last one. Customer service should provide just that.....Customer Service.....not surly attitudes.
© 24hourcampfire