Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
4200m Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks MColeman, mine will be finished in a couple of weeks i can't wait.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Well DUH on me.

I can only hope to aquire the stable of fine rifles you have Steelhead. This is my first, but probably won't be the last custom.

Last edited by 358Norma_fan; 02/03/10.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've been using Douglas barrels since about 1973. Haven't anything to complain about yet. Guess I'll get another one for my next build. They work just fine for me.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK ok I'll go against the grain here... frown

I've had 4 Dougy barrels, all 4 were CM. The one I had in 416 Taylor I didn't wear out mainly cause I found someone who wanted the gun more than me.

The other 3 barrels I had were a 25/06, and two 7 Mashburn Supers.

Bottom line, here's in a nut shell what their life cycles were for me.

Broke in very rough, first 150 rounds accuracy was no bueno. Then their accuracy all got better. Then all 3 died in and around 1K rounds.

I expect a lot from barrels, I am not kind to barrels and for me my experience was 3 for 3 that they're just not for me.

Now I did not have a one in stls and maybe their stls tubes are mo better.

Lastly, I did put in a call to Douglas about what I'd experienced basically just to see if they'd experienced a rough lot of barrels or something like that.

The fella I spoke with very gruffly basically just said, "hmmp, I've worn out STW barrels in 75 rounds" and I don't know you so tough tookies..

Maybe I caught him on a bad day, maybe not. I do know that from my experiences with the tubes my gut feeling tells me that they're a decent tube but won't handle what I'm gonna put them thru.

I've spoken with a member here who I respect and he feels that if I go stls I might see something different. Maybe some day I'll give it a go again. And maybe not as I know what I can get out of other tubes for just a bit more coinage.

Lastly and I've said this b4, but what's important to me is how a barrel lives it's life. In other words how it breaks in, how it shoots from the get go, how long it lasts b4 it begins to get rough and tough to clean and lastly how it dies.

Just my way and I am sure as heck glad to see so many other people who've had good luck with them as I sure didn't.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mark R Dobrenski
How many rounds do you get out of a SS Schneider in 7mm Mashburn before they puke?
If you dont mind my asking.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave-with the Schneiders I find that around 1700-2K rounds with the hot rounds (Mashburn,340's, 6/06 etc) that things begin to give a bit. By this I mean they begin to get a bit froggy in the throat, and cleaning becomes a bit more work and it isn't far from that that I begin to chase the lands.

I'd have to take a close at my notes but this tube is in the 3K range, it's a bit rough albeit it still shoots ok and I'm chasing the lands pretty hard. But in this economy I'm being a bit more forgiving... wink

Guess my thoughts are that its safe to say that I'm getting 2x the round count with Schneider than "I" did with Dougy so for me it's well worth the xtra cheddar to go with them from the get go.

Now in all honesty if I wasn't such a ruthless shooter and practicer (is that a word?) I'm more than sure I'd be plenty good off with a Dougy.

Some day I'll have Mickey or Redneck twist on a Dougy Stls for me just to see what I'm missing.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 02/04/10.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Stainless Douglas is the way to fly.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know I know u keep telling me that, if you didn't I wouldn't think 2x about trying them again. So, if I dive in it's all cause of you, you enabler...grin

Dober

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've had their CM take a bit of time to settle in and one that really needs to be fouled hard.

The SS tubes seem like completely different barrels.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
SST Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've only had two Douglas barrels, and they both shot fine. However, you can buy a hand lapped Stainless Match Shilen for LESS MONEY.

Douglas Barrels

Douglas #3: $214.00
Air Gauged 35.00
Stainless 68.00

$317.00

The Barrel Man (http://www.thebarrelman.com/)

Shilen #3 Stainless Match Barrel $205.00
Match Grade Included
Stainless Included
Hand Lapped Included

$205.00

Regards,
Sam Taylor
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

SST's Rifle Room
http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/rifleroom/
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mark R Dobrenski
My first custom a Nelson Berger 280 AI which I still have is pretty rough at 1400.Not hard to feel how rough it is while cleaning.Its a Douglas SS air guaged.Just a solid MOA gun at 400 yards.I abused it to no end in its early days and now its just alittle more work to clean than Im a liken these days.
Accurany has dropped off as well.
Douglas does not lap there barrels.I called them and asked them why thay didnt....Guy said"if you button it right, it dont need lapped". OK.
I still think it took a bit longer to break in and settle down than my Schneiders or my Harts or my Liljas Or my Rocks.But thats just me.
I'd buy another.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 4200m
Ok thanks. They have been getting some bad press here on the Campfire?

I've had several low dollar ER Shaw barrels, and they really get flamed for accuracy and quality..

However the ones I have gotten have been as good of accuracy as I can ask for..

not a benchrest shooter... so they may not be that accurate..

but one hole 5 shot groups at 100 yds, is plenty good enough for my uses..

and a Douglas will be every bit as good if not better...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My Douglas barreled 220 Swift Standard weight, put 3 different bullet weight and loads into 5/8" when I checked her out before season a few years ago. I think thats a sign of an outstanding barrel.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I've used them for years, back when I was growing up Douglas XX Premium Barrels were the barrels to have. I have three of my own now and they are all great barrels. That being said the last one I bought is just that........the last one. Customer service should provide just that.....Customer Service.....not surly attitudes.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (222Sako, 22250rem, 1badf350, 1234, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,213 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,367
Posts18,506,453
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.